As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic Thread, Friday 7/29/2011

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    so, is this game kind of lemmings meets populous?

I could play that game

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Reminds me of Black and White, good times.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Lagnar wrote:
    Reminds me of Black and White, good times.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who enjoyed that game, and if you could modify some of the more bullshit aspects of that game one could probably sit down and legitimately enjoy it.

You know, without being a masochist.

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    I was confused at first, because I thought that Dust (or from dust I guess) was that game where you like, tip toe and woosh across a desert and leave messages with yoru footprints for other people to read.

I really like this comic though.

You're thinking of Journey. The new game from the guys that did Flow and Flower. Not Don't Stop Believin' Journey.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That's a game that needs to be made.

Black and White: This Time It Works

If some developer made that game, one that actually did what B&W promised it could do, I'd buy the shit out of that game.

Hunter on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Peter Molyneux is the king of that shit though.

• Options
    Here's an idea where I promise and imply that you have infinite control, infinite choices, a world that reacts to everything you do!

And three years later here's a completely linear game where at the beginning you choose GOOD/EVIL, and the middle you choose GOOD/EVIL, and the only consequences of your actions are the GOOD/EVIL ending cinematics.

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    I was confused at first, because I thought that Dust (or from dust I guess) was that game where you like, tip toe and woosh across a desert and leave messages with yoru footprints for other people to read.

You're thinking of Journey. The new game from the guys that did Flow and Flower. Not Don't Stop Believin' Journey.

Yeah, this is the guy who did Out of this World (Another World). IIRC.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:

thank you, this was killing me

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Rolo wrote:

Peter Molyneux is like the abusive asshole boyfriend of the gaming world. One day, his band will hit it big and he'll show you just how much he really loves you and pay back all the rent money he owes. He promises he won't get drunk again and smack you around. This time he means it when he says he'll go see a therapist.

But he'll never change. His games will never work right.

Hunter on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    Hunter wrote:
    I want to try this game so bad, but ever since B&W 1 and 2 I'm gunshy about these "you're a god" games.

Please tell me it's fun...not just drop lava on a village fun, but actually controllable and fun.

Yeah, B&W ruined these kind of games for me

Same here. I could never figure out how to throw fireballs, and only passed the tutorial through luck, but I could get past that. But the micromanagement, god, the micromanagement. A god should not have to be telling its people to fuck to reproduce! Most gods can't get their people to stop!

If they're infinitely spawning in this game, much better.

Populous: Slaanesh Edition

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hunter wrote:

If some developer made that game, one that actually did what B&W promised it could do, I'd buy the shit out of that game.

You just wanted to be able to jack off your monkey.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Druhim wrote:
    Hunter wrote:

You just wanted to be able to jack off your monkey.

I had a wolf pet, and he threw people into the sea for fun. He also kept shitting in the food supply no matter how many times I slapped him. Fucker ruined my civilization through feces.

• Options
    good doggie

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    I shouldn't be laughing as hard as I am at that.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    The worst was when you meant to punish your pet and the controls registered it as petting him

So my horse creature kept getting the idea that villagers were chew toys

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Langly wrote:

journey1.jpg
    medium_ddcb5931899b2451f6d74bf008886cfa.jpg
    journey.jpg

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    God, yes, the punishment/praise mechanics in B&W were so bad. Your critter would shit all over the town, you'd go to smack him, and in that instant he'd start dancing for the villagers. Bam, you've punished him for being nice.

I remember inadvertently teaching my lion that pooping anywhere, at all, was bad, despite the fact that I was trying to train him to poop on the fields. As a result he wandered around farting up a storm and making uncomfortable faces while clutching his ass, trying desperately to hold it in. Funny, but not funny enough to outweigh my frustration at the clumsy game mechanic.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    This game is just an XBLA game so it is not going to be that big.

You just control certain elements to get your people to certain places.

It still looked pretty good to me

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-from-dust/17-4531/

the biggest complaint I keep seeing from people is that you can not control the elements as accurately as people would like, and apparently there is some camera wonkiness.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I hate that this was delayed on the PC.

I want it now.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    I played it for a couple of hours the other day, I love the mechanics of picking stuff up and building stuff but I didn't expect it to be as puzzley as it is. Not that it's a bad thing, but it can get a bit fiddley and frustrating at times, and I guess I was expecting more of a traditional god game. It's still worth the $15 or whatever 1200 points translates to though.

• Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote:
    This game is just an XBLA game so it is not going to be that big.

You just control certain elements to get your people to certain places.

It still looked pretty good to me

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-from-dust/17-4531/

the biggest complaint I keep seeing from people is that you can not control the elements as accurately as people would like, and apparently there is some camera wonkiness.

Wow, this looks amazing. Haven't even heard of it till today.

• Options
    peteitudepeteitude Registered User regular
    "How much lava it too much?" isn't that the eternal question?

Get nok nok. A free iPhone app that lets you see the Facebook profiles of people around you.

http://itunes.com/app/noknok
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, I remember Black And White. So many previews in the months leading up to it, Official Dreamcast Magazine would not shut about it.

It got a crazy high review score. So being an impressionable young lad, I rushed out to buy that shit. So excited to play.

If only I could go back in time.

If only I could tell my young self; "Don't worry. Some day, you'll know about the internet, and never get caught by this shit again."

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    See, some people don't know about Black and White. The things we were promised.

Instead it was exchanging 50 bucks for Peter Molyneux shitting in a box and telling you it was epic.

• Options
    yeah, the only other person who could trump that kind of shit was Wil Wright with Spore

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Fable was my Black and white

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Birthday comic is the best type of comic. Even if I didn't get what they were parodying at first.

• Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote:
    Rolo wrote:

Peter Molyneux is like the abusive asshole boyfriend of the gaming world. One day, his band will hit it big and he'll show you just how much he really loves you and pay back all the rent money he owes. He promises he won't get drunk again and smack you around. This time he means it when he says he'll go see a therapist.

This is so damn true. Fable was shite also.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I enjoyed Black & White. I loved my cow, and the wacky honking noises he'd make when he was little.

I also enjoyed expanding my influence out to the point where I could grab my enemies' worshippers and sacrifice them on his altar, reducing him to nothing.

Oh, the screams, children. The screams...

Edit: Laptop keyboard loves to randomly move the cursor.

Durkhanus on
  • Options
    I don't know how you did this. You must be God for real or some shit.

• Options
    You couldn't have enjoyed Black and White because it did not work.

You see, there was no real control. Your avatar did whatever the fuck it wanted to with or without your input. Unless you got the only functioning copy in existence. Maybe you're a god.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I, too, enjoy Farscape reruns.

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    I remember Populous as "that SNES game where I have no fuckin clue what's going on but that last button sets all the houses on fire and everyone gets out and fights and that's kind of awesome I guess?"

Don't really know what the point was

• Options
    the populous games were actually quite a bit of fun

• Options
    Fandeathis wrote:
    Hunter wrote:
    Rolo wrote:

This is so damn true. Fable was shite also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY

it only gets worse

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i picked up a used copy of black and white for like 10 bucks

bad decision

also, I totally thought Dust was the game where you were wandering through a desert

• Options
    Molyneux is such a blowhard.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Diggin' the generic afro voice

Oh brilliant
This discussion has been closed.