As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

>>--D&D Thread --> Crab Detective! Inquire within! OP Update..ish

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    I think the important thing here, the bit we can all agree on, is that Elves suck and shouldn't be in anything.

Especially the Dallas RPG. Don't know what they were thinking there.

Elves are okay in Eberron.

Elves in Dark Sun are desert running scavengers. I think that's a pretty cool take on the race.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I've been trying to run a D&D game for nearly two years now

this summer was going to be THE TIME to get a game together
    I bought all the Gamma World stuff, was gonna get everything ready

...but then a person cancelled, same person who cancelled the first time I was getting Keep on the Shadowfell together, and then I went on vacation, and then the same person is going to France for a year for school

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Huntera wrote:
    Zonugal wrote:
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    I think the important thing here, the bit we can all agree on, is that Elves suck and shouldn't be in anything.

Especially the Dallas RPG. Don't know what they were thinking there.

Elves are okay in Eberron.

Elves in Dark Sun are desert running scavengers. I think that's a pretty cool take on the race.

In my campaign setting for DnD Elves are elitist, high mages who look down upon all the other races for being so primitive.

That is to be said my campaign is super magitek and burrows heavily from sources like Avatar, Chronicles of Riddick and Warhammer 40k (with the Elves acting in the same position as the Eldar).

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I really want to play a pen and paper game with people that can have fun doing it and don't try to be invincible little power houses.

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:

...but then a person cancelled, same person who cancelled the first time I was getting Keep on the Shadowfell together, and then I went on vacation, and then the same person is going to France for a year for school

what did you have to buy

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    Antimatter wrote:

what did you have to buy

I only had to buy the core set (corset?)

but I bought the two expansions because I was really excited and it added so much stuff
    I'm still gonna be able to use it, there's tons of tabletop gamers at the college I'm going to
    still, I wanted to run a game with my friends :C

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote:
    Necromancers are one of those things I always hear about

but never actually see in a player party

so disappointing

was ityou that said they were goign to be doing an online pathfinder game? because i will make a evil half orc necromancer. Who will probably die, because, well evil.

I am seriously considering running a thing guys

I have nothing to do for a while it would be perfect

would anyone here be interested

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    play by post, sure

I promise it wouldn't be one of those things I start and never finish like my summer classes or this watercolor painting or cleaning out my closet or taking care of my beta fish named goggles

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I played Call of Cthulhu with my two buddies the other night.

I was young hotshot detective Barnaby Jones along with my grizzled old partner detective Scott Wilson. We were the loose cannons of the Tulsa Police Department circa 1978. In addition to our maverick status, we tended to take the more "oddball" cases. We got the call to drive down to Norman, one of the handful of college towns in Oklahoma.

We arrive at the campus and are taken to the crime scene, the victim, the resident professor of Native American History, had been dismembered and drained of all blood. Shockingly, no blood was found on scene. The only two clues we had were two odd stains in the room: one on the roof, near one of those easily moved ceiling tiles and another splattered against the wall. After a few rounds of questioning witnesses we learn that the Professor was something of a recluse and that a large man with braided hair was seen fleeing the campus the night of the murder. Finally, we get a call from forensics, the mysterious stains match with only one substance: chlorophyll.

Puzzled by this development, we drive down to the Professor's house near campus. We pull up to the neighbor in the Professor's front lawn, yelling that someone was inside the house. We go in, guns out. After clearing the hallway, we hear a racket coming from inside the kitchen. I take point and charge in. Inside, I see a large well-built Native American man matching the rough description of our suspect. I tell him to freeze, he turns around and bolts out the back door. My partner tries to catch up, but he is too old for this bullshit. I take the shot. It hits dead center in his back. He doesn't even break his stride. Two more. Same thing. No stopping, no blood.

Sufficiently freaked out and in no shape to talk to people, I let my partner go talk to the neighbor as I explore the house. It's covered in old dusty books and very fancy liquor. During my investigation I hear a noise coming from inside the garage. I draw my pistol and open the door, not quite ready for what's inside. Something that roughly resembled a human being was crawling and writhing on the garage floor. It's taught brown leathery skin cracked as it turned to face me, and long-since withered lungs emitted only a hollow groan. It latched onto my ankle as I shot it in the head. Across its now shattered skull, fresh green plant growth emerged and sealed it mere seconds after I fired. As it began to pull itself higher I took another shot, this time hitting it in its heart. It gasps and its grip loosens. Slowly it falls to pieces on top of me, transforming for a horrid leathery mummy to a pile of dried leaves.

TO BE CONTINUED

On a meta note, our GM knew that we were getting bored with the investigation bit so the story gets much much crazier as it goes on

CYpGAPn.png
    What kind of thing?

Because if it's a thing i like, yes.

If not, then maybe.

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Gamma World? Absolutely.

Antimatter wrote:
    play by post, sure

nah iirc

I don't trust my ability to update a thread regularly/write lots of long and good posts

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    Melding wrote:
    What kind of thing?

If not, then maybe.

beta planet

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote:
    I really want to play a pen and paper game with people that can have fun doing it and don't try to be invincible little power houses.

That is a dilemma. As somebody who has studied character optimization and theoretical game-theory for DnD 3.5 I can say that I hate powerful characters.

They are just so boring to play.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Antimatter wrote:
    play by post, sure

nah iirc

I don't trust my ability to update a thread regularly/write lots of long and good posts

:|

Also, things liek this are why eberron is cool

eberronadventureparty.jpg

I just like this picture
    314sl.jpg

and the old core books had awesome arts.

yarkyark.jpg

Zonugal wrote:
    Yukira wrote:

That is a dilemma. As somebody who has studied character optimization and theoretical game-theory for DnD 3.5 I can say that I hate powerful characters.

They are just so boring to play.

The best time I did have was, however, when I played a 3.5 warforged and my friend played a Minotaur. Most of our solutions to things were to chuck heavy objects at them. We took out a camp of drakonids by launching trees at them.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I love Eberron so much

I want to play a Warforged of Arabia

CYpGAPn.png
    Melding wrote:
    What kind of thing?

If not, then maybe.

beta planet

Hm i'm more of an Alpha Habitable Sphere person myself.

melding where is the bug troll picture thing from the old core books

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I just want a Gamma World DnD setting, the board game is cool, but a setting would be cooler.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    ... it is a setting.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote:
    Deathwatch

More like Can't-be-used-in-40k-anymore-watch

I am shamed for having wrote that

Really? That's actually kind of bad news I thought they were a neat idea.

They'll probably be back.

More reason why Eberron is cool

122730cngl.jpg

122692cngl.jpg

122713cngl.jpg

also while i originally disliked them, Devas have really fucking grown on me.

122717cngl.jpg

they even suggested in Legion of Gold that your gamma world characters could end up in a land of steel and magic because of shenanigans
    sooo

... it is a setting.

Oh...well I've been out of the loop for awhile.

I fucking love Eberron though. I played a cool Warforged Samurai/Kensai once that had swords that flipped out of his arms. I really want to give Dark Sun a whirl

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    I played Call of Cthulhu with my two buddies the other night.

I was young hotshot detective Barnaby Jones along with my grizzled old partner detective Scott Wilson. We were the loose cannons of the Tulsa Police Department circa 1978. In addition to our maverick status, we tended to take the more "oddball" cases. We got the call to drive down to Norman, one of the handful of college towns in Oklahoma.

We arrive at the campus and are taken to the crime scene, the victim, the resident professor of Native American History, had been dismembered and drained of all blood. Shockingly, no blood was found on scene. The only two clues we had were two odd stains in the room: one on the roof, near one of those easily moved ceiling tiles and another splattered against the wall. After a few rounds of questioning witnesses we learn that the Professor was something of a recluse and that a large man with braided hair was seen fleeing the campus the night of the murder. Finally, we get a call from forensics, the mysterious stains match with only one substance: chlorophyll.

Puzzled by this development, we drive down to the Professor's house near campus. We pull up to the neighbor in the Professor's front lawn, yelling that someone was inside the house. We go in, guns out. After clearing the hallway, we hear a racket coming from inside the kitchen. I take point and charge in. Inside, I see a large well-built Native American man matching the rough description of our suspect. I tell him to freeze, he turns around and bolts out the back door. My partner tries to catch up, but he is too old for this bullshit. I take the shot. It hits dead center in his back. He doesn't even break his stride. Two more. Same thing. No stopping, no blood.

Sufficiently freaked out and in no shape to talk to people, I let my partner go talk to the neighbor as I explore the house. It's covered in old dusty books and very fancy liquor. During my investigation I hear a noise coming from inside the garage. I draw my pistol and open the door, not quite ready for what's inside. Something that roughly resembled a human being was crawling and writhing on the garage floor. It's taught brown leathery skin cracked as it turned to face me, and long-since withered lungs emitted only a hollow groan. It latched onto my ankle as I shot it in the head. Across its now shattered skull, fresh green plant growth emerged and sealed it mere seconds after I fired. As it began to pull itself higher I took another shot, this time hitting it in its heart. It gasps and its grip loosens. Slowly it falls to pieces on top of me, transforming for a horrid leathery mummy to a pile of dried leaves.

TO BE CONTINUED

On a meta note, our GM knew that we were getting bored with the investigation bit so the story gets much much crazier as it goes on

this is awesome.

melding where is the bug troll picture thing from the old core books

oldtrollhere.png

This is the troll from the first edition ADnD book, only oldest troll i have.

I would like play D&D where the story line isn't a blatant anime rip off.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Melding wrote:
    Dubh wrote:

so disappointing

was ityou that said they were goign to be doing an online pathfinder game? because i will make a evil half orc necromancer. Who will probably die, because, well evil.

I'll get a recruitment thing set-up, I guess

Tonkka was hells of interested

Whippy mentioned wanting to play, but she didn't respond to my offer (booooo)

and there's a few gloss people that are fairly interested

I might not want to run a game until I can get my feminine voice on

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Antimatter wrote:
    they even suggested in Legion of Gold that your gamma world characters could end up in a land of steel and magic because of shenanigans
    sooo

Oh man I would love to do a campaign like this, war ravaged world in the future, then BAM time portal, now you have gun in classic DnD, but they have magic.

Yukira wrote:
    I would like play D&D where the story line isn't a blatant anime rip off.

I ran a D20 Modern campaign where it was a blatant rip off of The Dresden Files.

oldtoad.png

Dubh wrote:
    Melding wrote:
    Dubh wrote:

so disappointing

I would play.

Melding wrote:
    oldtoad.png

Dire Toad

Bucketman wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    sooo

Oh man I would love to do a campaign like this, war ravaged world in the future, then BAM time portal, now you have gun in classic DnD, but they have magic.

personally I'd love to fuck with my players and do the opposite

"lessee, yeah, you're in the standard points of light setting, evil wizard is summoning monsters to destroy a town, blah blah blah"
    "wait, is that a teleporting lemur?"
    "oh shit what the fuck! land squid?"

"...is that a motherfucking robot?"

"okay, yeah, you just got sucked in a portal. time to reroll your characters >:3"

Dubh wrote:
    Melding wrote:
    Dubh wrote:

so disappointing

Well, keep me informed, and you will have your necromancer in a player party. but i might just die because, necromancers are soo out of my normal, half elf cleric/bard elf wizard paradigm.

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    I've never really played a PnP RPG although it always seemed so fun. My friends tried to do DnD once but they weren't actually nerdy enough I guess, since their method of playing was go into a room, use the next door.

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
This discussion has been closed.