As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Comic Thread, Friday 7/29/2011

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    oh

i thought Shorty meant this comic was called From Dust :oops:

• 101101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This is really great. I'm having ridiculous fun re-directing streams around the levels.

Rolo wrote:
    yeah, the only other person who could trump that kind of shit was Wil Wright with Spore

That fucking game

101 on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I was so fucking excited about Spore.

So excited.

And the character creator was released early and I made a million monsters! It was so cool!

Then the game was not as cool.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Spore literally gave me cancer

I still kinda liked it though

mkc.png
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Lord Dave wrote:

The single celled organism part was fun, and then the evolution part was good.

Then it got shitty fast. Suddenly you're in space and the game just kind of stops trying. The message I got was basically "thanks for pay 55 dollars, now go fuck yourself".

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    as soon as I heard that the game was "four mini-games" I knew that it wasn't going to live up to what was initially promised

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    It was extremely difficult not to run around yelling I TOLD YOU SO when Spore came out.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Spore was Black & White all over again, except that unlike Black & White it had some good bits.

• LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    Looking back I'm not even really sure what WAS actually promised, besides making creatures that can work out walking no matter how retarded their creator

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Ledneh wrote:
    Looking back I'm not even really sure what WAS actually promised, besides making creatures that can work out walking no matter how retarded their creator
    In a friendly, high-speed presentation, Will Wright demos his newest game, Spore, which promises to dazzle users even more than his previous masterpieces. Here Wright encourages users to create not households, as in The Sims, or cities, as in SimCity, but the entire universe, from single-celled life forms to galactic physics. While guiding us through his mesmerizing beta, Wright shares his thoughts on Montessori schools, Darwinian theory and long-term thinking, emphasizing, throughout, that Spore is not so much a game as an opportunity for discovery — “an imagination amplifier.”

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    From Dust looks fun and I will be purchasing it on my computer-mo-tron when it comes out.

I too was burned on Black and White and Spore and hope for something better.

A new world. A better world.

EDIT: Hadn't really watched anything, but in the quick look they are picking up sand and making land bridges, and changing water flows and such. Yes. This is what I want.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    Had to quit Black & White when I realized I had just spent 10 minutes picking up my pet's poop.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Black & White: the most advanced Tamagotchi game of its day.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I made all my pets insane in Black and White. I tortured and rewarded them for the same acts and only allowed them to eat their own poop.

Fuck off and die.
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    For some reason, I loved to abuse the monkey pet the most. He was always just askin' for it.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote:
    I made all my pets insane in Black and White. I tortured and rewarded them for the same acts and only allowed them to eat their own poop.

D:

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I ended up as a twisted evil monsterous death god child and my cow was a godly cow of epicly nice proportions. Somehow he worked out, with barely any attention from me being an evil self absorbed prick-god, how to rain on crops for food, didn't poop anywhere bad, made breeders at an acceptable level, did other useful chores and such. And on top of all that when I told him to go fight another god he would bust out the holy lightning if they didn't want to talk.
    My pet was better at the game than me.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    I also played through Ultima IX.

Twice.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I had never heard of From Dust before this comic and now I really want to play it

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    To be fair about Spore, it basically was what was promised.

It just didn't live up to the crazy amount of speculation and day-dreaming about what the promises meant.

8406wWN.png
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular

It just didn't live up to the crazy amount of speculation and day-dreaming about what the promises meant.

Also the promises were made in vague language that sounded really cool, but was rather devoid of any meaningful information. Which I'm sure was intentional.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I had good times with Spore. I think if they just made it a lot more sandboxy, and focused solely on the pre civilisation stages, it would have been a cultural force. As it was, I made a platypus with a top hat and antlers and called it a day.

Fuck off and die.
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    So I have an issue of Game Informer with a preview for Fable 3. After playing through the game I went back and read that preview. It was typical Molyneux bullshit hyping up all these crazy features and than the game just didn't live up to it. Especially the stupid "touch" function they couldn't stop talking about that just made it harder to do a fart or a fist pump.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Lord Dave wrote:

I bought the game when it came out and my nerdy friends at work laughed at me when I let that information slip. I got defensive about it, but that was before I realized how brief the game is leading up to the galactic portion.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed Spore the first time around but didn't touch it after that.

I was tremendously disappointed by it, really, but that's really my fault for getting so worked up about it!

• Pixel20Pixel20 Registered User regular
    Mike really hit it out of the park with the visuals on this one. Especially the glowing lava-looking ball thingy.

banner1-copy.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Basically the only decent game Molyneux has made since starting Lionhead is The Movies.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Fable 2 is really good too

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:
    I enjoyed Spore the first time around but didn't touch it after that.

I was tremendously disappointed by it, really, but that's really my fault for getting so worked up about it!

Yeah, pretty much.

It didn't really help there were two parts of it that were just really dumbed down versions of games I love.

Javen wrote:

nope.

it's adequate.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Shorty wrote:
    Javen wrote:

nope.

it's adequate.

Thank fucking God the grand arbiter of opinions is here.

• Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote:

Also the promises were made in vague language that sounded really cool, but was rather devoid of any meaningful information. Which I'm sure was intentional.

Oh Fable 2.

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    I dunno, Fable 2 was pretty awful.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I think we have the gamut of opinions now

all is well

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    A duck! wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    Javen wrote:

nope.

it's adequate.

Thank fucking God the grand arbiter of opinions is here.

you're welcome.

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    Fandeathis wrote:
    Hunter wrote:
    Rolo wrote:
    Peter Molyneux is the king of that shit though.

Peter Molyneux is like the abusive asshole boyfriend of the gaming world. One day, his band will hit it big and he'll show you just how much he really loves you and pay back all the rent money he owes. He promises he won't get drunk again and smack you around. This time he means it when he says he'll go see a therapist.

But he'll never change. His games will never work right.

This is so damn true. Fable was shite also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY

it only gets worse

Man, was that really 2009? What the fuck?!

There needs to be some kind of witch toucher game for the kinect

• L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    there shouldn't be any kind of witch toucher game for anything

what if you could touch korean witches on it

This discussion has been closed.