As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic Online - V.4 Client Public Beta looms before us

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    So i played the demo of the new duels of the planeswalker game on steam. The tutorial is super easy then the second person you can face just seems to destroy everything I stand for. I feel like there's just nothing I can do to stop him. I don't know if it's just the nature of the game that there's some times you just don't have anything you can do or if this game has some weird tuning issues

Hang in there. Once you beat him, you get his entire deck. And lower the difficulty, it's already crazy hard.

Do the challenges, they teach you good tricks, and the value of the second main phase.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have missed drafting!

Also, Inkmoth Nexus looks nifty.

Edit: Welp, mana screwed in Game 3, :(

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Okay, Contagion Engine + Contagion Clasp + Battle Cry makes for some fun times.

Characters
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I learned a valuable lesson last week. If you play in two free sealed tournaments, the better one is the one in which you open Tezzeret. :)

Looking forward to dipping my toes in the M12 waters.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    I can't wait for M12, there seems to be some interesting cards in the set.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    ZeroCow wrote:

Lies.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote:
    ZeroCow wrote:

Lies.

My free Grave Titan says hello.

And that's another thing. Do claim this card, even if you don't want to play Paper Magic. It's a money card. You can make back your 1200 MS.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Cantido wrote:
    metaghost wrote:
    ZeroCow wrote:

Lies.

My free Grave Titan says hello.

And that's another thing. Do claim this card, even if you don't want to play Paper Magic. It's a money card. You can make back your 1200 MS.

Cantido, bro, us Magic Onlineians have been a living long, harsh life under the cruel rule of Grave Titan and his Titan brethren.

Interesting? I think not.

But yeah, don't let my lack of enthusiasm for core sets dissuade anyone from being excited. I'll probably cave in and hit up a pre-release in hopes of cracking a pile of Garruks.

Of course, knowing my luck, I'll crack a pile of Scrambleverse.

• Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    3-0 so far. That sceptre is so silly with bloodthirst.

edited July 2011
    Almost tempted to not play Fireball:

M12%252520Sealed.JPG

EDIT: In case it's hard to see:

2x Aegis Angel
    1x Gideon Jura
    1x Mind Control
    2x Pacifism
    1x Throne of Empires
    1x Crown of Empires
    1x Fireball
    Infinite Fliers

metaghost on
    You'd best go 4-0 like i just did or I will be very disappointed.

Already lost. Got mana-screwed game one, then buttfucked by a couple Gorehorn Minotaurs.

Awesome!

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    So i played the demo of the new duels of the planeswalker game on steam. The tutorial is super easy then the second person you can face just seems to destroy everything I stand for. I feel like there's just nothing I can do to stop him. I don't know if it's just the nature of the game that there's some times you just don't have anything you can do or if this game has some weird tuning issues

Hang in there. Once you beat him, you get his entire deck. And lower the difficulty, it's already crazy hard.

Do the challenges, they teach you good tricks, and the value of the second main phase.

So I finally beat him and the second planeswalker in the demo. After the first one, that other challenge was a breeze. Then I tried that rival mode (i think. I can't remember what the mode was called exactly.). It was 3v1 and he only had 40hp but every turn got to pull a card from a separate non-player card deck that just had rules that would destroy our side. Is that a real game mode? I've never seen or heard of it played before.

Then I tried that rival mode (i think. I can't remember what the mode was called exactly.). It was 3v1 and he only had 40hp but every turn got to pull a card from a separate non-player card deck that just had rules that would destroy our side. Is that a real game mode? I've never seen or heard of it played before.

Archenemy is a real thing. It's a non-competitive multiplayer format, a type of accessory to the official game.

Hey guys.

Fuck overrun.

Fuck the shuffler.

Fuck.

• eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    When do M12 drafting events start? Aug 1st?

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I'd love to play this, but the amount of people playing two tournies at once these days just pisses me off. I might be out until the new client hits :(

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Elbasunu wrote:
    I'd love to play this, but the amount of people playing two tournies at once these days just pisses me off. I might be out until the new client hits :(

Tell me about it. In the last round, my opponent's clock was at 00:29 and mine was at 15:06 when he won the match.

He slow-rolled each and every Fireball.

People play two tournies at once? The hell for? And with what sack of gold?

Characters
    Aegis wrote:
    People play two tournies at once? The hell for? And with what sack of gold?

Ha. Yeah. If you ever hear the term "grinder", it's usually referring to these sorts of people who "multi-queue". They can be professional magic players, like LSV, or just silly bastards who dream of being profession magic players.

Damn, Grand Abolisher looks fun. Pity these packs didn't contain much in the way of useful removal.

Characters
    Totally being trolled by the shuffler.

Sold Gideon and some random chafe for another go at a prerelease, hoping to redeem myself. Opened nothing special, but put together a pretty aggressive bloodthirst deck.

First round - Each opening hand was 6 lands + Ice Cage. Each mull was 5 lands + 6 drop. Game three, my opponent has Celestial Purge for Blood Ogre, Celestial Purge for a Bloodlord of Vaasgoth, then Oblivion Ring for Sengir Vampire. Thanks, Disentomb!

Did another sealed, put together a G/W evasive control deck. No mythics, so I only went 3-1. Lost in the finals to a guy with Garruk, and Garruks oh god 7/7 card advantage trampler o doom. Had him down to 1 life and lost to a fling in response to my oblivion ring, followed by a fireball. Still, 14 boosters in the bank over 2 sealeds, feeling good about this set. Only 1 mythic so far though. Losing the Cynic touch.

Yeah, not only do I hate Core Sets for being boring, I suck at it. And I'd really appreciate it if they upped set size or fixed collation, because I'm goddamn sick of playing dudes with a playset of Aether Adepts, or multiple Fireballs, or pounds of whatever.

edited July 2011
    Ehh, my sealed pool:
    BlFHS.jpg

I just took out the elixir. Any critiques on my picks?

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Garruk's Horde combined with an Aegis Angel and Reclaim in one's deck is proving to be a nifty combination even when the opponent has doom blades (which he doesn't play to kill the Horde and then is forced to play on the Angel).

Edit: Damn, 2-0 and both matches I got to have the Horde + Angel combo come into play which usually resulted in a quick concede.

Aegis on
    Characters
    eeSanG wrote:
    Ehh, my sealed pool:

Edit: Made some changes before playing, but didn't manage to get a screen. Ended up going 2-2.

Cut the white entirely. You've got enough cards in black and red to make up for it. Gravedigger should never be left out of a black deck, Duskhunter bat is a fine bloodthirst enabler and Tunnelers and Arsonists are also fine bloodthirst enablers. I'd also cut elixir for Swiftfoot boots, it's one of those artifacts that shouldn't be left in the sideboard, especially with the ginormous black fliers you have.

eeSanG wrote:
    Ehh, my sealed pool:

Edit: Made some changes before playing, but didn't manage to get a screen. Ended up going 2-2.

Cut the white entirely. You've got enough cards in black and red to make up for it. Gravedigger should never be left out of a black deck, Duskhunter bat is a fine bloodthirst enabler and Tunnelers and Arsonists are also fine bloodthirst enablers. I'd also cut elixir for Swiftfoot boots, it's one of those artifacts that shouldn't be left in the sideboard, especially with the ginormous black fliers you have.

I had taken the Elixir out for Diabolic Tutor before the rounds started. Played white mostly for the 2x Timely Reinforcements and the fliers.

You're right on the boots, I definitely should've run those. In the two games I lost, I had lost to an Inferno Titan and a bloodthirsted Furyborn Hellkite in the third rounds.

My Bloodlord got Act of Treason'ed against the Inferno Titan for lethal on me :<

LFMGb.jpg
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    I first picked a Vengeful Pharaoh last night in an M12 draft. I ended up going 2-1 with a b/g deck. The only match that I drew the pharaoh was the third one against a w/g deck. Oblivion ring and celestial purge before the pharaoh even gets to do anything. I did win the match (lost the first one), but in my mind I was all, "Damn it."

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
    eeSanG wrote:
    eeSanG wrote:
    Ehh, my sealed pool:

I had taken the Elixir out for Diabolic Tutor before the rounds started. Played white mostly for the 2x Timely Reinforcements and the fliers.

You're right on the boots, I definitely should've run those. In the two games I lost, I had lost to an Inferno Titan and a bloodthirsted Furyborn Hellkite in the third rounds.

My Bloodlord got Act of Treason'ed against the Inferno Titan for lethal on me :<

Timely Reinforcements, while a fine card, is not the sort of card that should make you want to go into white on them alone. What will win you the game are your black fliers, and between boots, gravediggers and tutor, you should have more than enough inevitability. If white had oblivion ring or pacifism, that'd be fine, or if you dropped the red cards in favor of Day of Judgement and some of the less exciting white bodies. You basically need consistency in a deck like this where all you need to do is last till turn 5-6 when you drop your bomb and ride that to victory. B/W seems fine, B/R is also fine, but mixing the three is a recipe for sadness.

Yeah, I had maindecked Timely Reinforcements in that first sealed thinking that it was instant.

Alas, it is a sorcery, and thus largely terrible in sealed. Basically a glorified lifegain spell.

metaghost wrote:
    Yeah, I had maindecked Timely Reinforcements in that first sealed thinking that it was instant.

Alas, it is a sorcery, and thus largely terrible in sealed. Basically a glorified lifegain spell.

It's not terrible as such, it just needs a slow control deck to shine. Gaining 6 life and chumping their biggest dude for 3 turns is pretty good and will often see you into the lategame all on its own. That doesn't really make it splashable.

• BreadcrumbBreadcrumb Registered User regular
    Wow. I'm very bad now. Used to be not so bad - used to play Leagues, back when they were actually a thing that you could play. So far, I have lost 6 of 7 drafts (2x ZEN-ZEN-WWK and 4x URZA), and won 1 match in each of my 2 2012 prelease seales swiss tourneys. Fortunately, a bye in one of those matches helped me to pickup 1 pack as a prize, but I am, not surprisingly, getting a bit discouraged.

This game was more fun when I won sometimes. I've had to resort to some Zen (the concept, not the MTG set abbreviation) mental acrobatics to justify the continual blows to my ego. I try not to think about the ungodly amount of money I spent, even just over this past weekend. (I spent "tix" not "$", so it's all fine.)

On the plus side, I cracked a Sorin Markov and foil Chandra in my second sealed pool. So that was nice.

Breadcrumb wrote:
    Wow. I'm very bad now. Used to be not so bad - used to play Leagues, back when they were actually a thing that you could play. So far, I have lost 6 of 7 drafts (2x ZEN-ZEN-WWK and 4x URZA), and won 1 match in each of my 2 2012 prelease seales swiss tourneys. Fortunately, a bye in one of those matches helped me to pickup 1 pack as a prize, but I am, not surprisingly, getting a bit discouraged.

This game was more fun when I won sometimes. I've had to resort to some Zen (the concept, not the MTG set abbreviation) mental acrobatics to justify the continual blows to my ego. I try not to think about the ungodly amount of money I spent, even just over this past weekend. (I spent "tix" not "$", so it's all fine.)

On the plus side, I cracked a Sorin Markov and foil Chandra in my second sealed pool. So that was nice.

Here are some other things you can think about to help come to terms with losing:

1. As you were drafting irregular formats, meaning things not currently relevant to the tournament scene, you're more likely to encounter hardcore limited players. Especially with something like Urza block. Scrubby dudes have no reason to play Urza block.

2. Maybe you know this already, but ZZW is a blazing fast and somewhat annoying draft format. I was a weirdo and primarily drafted monogreen to some success, but most folks were all about the weenie aggro and those archetypes were dominant.

3. I sucked at M12 prerelease too. My rating went from 1810 > 1744. Bad beats with a couple of pools that were much better than 1-3.

• oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    I hadn't played magic since sometime in '98. On a whim, I started a magic online account. Man, the rules are different... like all of them. I tried to put together a mill deck the other night (I know, I'm a dick). It only wins like half the time, but it's so gratifying when it does.

Anyway, I always get dominated by infect decks and direct damage decks. I'm thinking maybe more emphasis on creature destruction might help, but that still doesn't stop me getting cleaned out by dd decks.

Anyway, here's where it stands right now (i tweak it all the time):

4 Tome Scour
    2 Leaden Myr
    4 Diabolic Tutor
    4 Temple Bell
    4 Haunting Echoes
    8 Island
    2 Doom Blade
    4 Cancel
    4 Jwari Shapeshifter
    2 Mind Control
    4 Halimar Excavator
    4 Traumatize
    5 Swamp
    2 Silver Myr
    3 Drowned Catacomb
    4 Terramorphic Expanse

I added those Myr cause it seemed like a cheap way to up my mana and get Traumatize and Haunting Echoes out as early as possible (which is clearly the main thrust). I've thought about getting rid of the excavators and shapeshifters and replacing them with counters and creature destruction, and just relying on Traumatize and haunting echoes, tome scour, and temple bell to get my milling done, but i'm not sure. Really, i haven't played in so long i'm not really sure what's out there. I'm only vaguely aware of how planeswalkers work, and i'm not sure i trust them, but they seem useful when used correctly.

edited August 2011
    @oldsak, welcome back. Be sure to check the link to the "Rules Primer for New and Returning Players." Very helpful in getting up to speed on all the rules changes

@Breadcrumb, if you upload your drafts to raredraft.com we can comment on your pick choices.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    How do you watch replays of other people's games? I have access to the Event Numbers but I don't know where to use it.

LFMGb.jpg