As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Chapter 2x: IS' earliest forms of trolling)

JaveJave Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
A long, long time ago... in a continent far, far away...
lpfe5_00001.jpglpfe5_00002.jpg

lpfe5_00003.jpglpfe5_00004.jpg

lpfe5_00005.jpglpfe5_00006.jpg

lpfe5_00007.jpglpfe5_00008.jpglpfe5_00009.jpg

lpfe5_00010.jpglpfe5_00011.jpg

lpfe5_00012.jpg

lpfe5_00000.jpg

Release Date: September 1st, 1999 (JP), N/A (Everywhere else)
Console: Super Famicom
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Intelligent Systems

And here it is. My first Let's Play ever. And it's on one of my favorite games ever that sadly, never saw the light of day out of Japan. This is the fifth entry on the Fire Emblem series, and Nintendo didn't start localizing the series until the seventh. Although this game probably wouldn't have been localized anyway if the series would have been localized before. It's an SNES game released in 1999, a time where Nintendo was fully dedicated to the N64. However, this game has the honor of being the swan song for the Super Famicom, as it was the last Nintendo-published title on the console.

It is interesting to note that this game introduces a lot of things that became staples on the series, such as Rescuing, Side maps (aka Gaiden maps), Fog of War (and it's a torture in this game) and Defend maps. It is also notorious for its high level of difficulty, being the hardest in the series, at least until FE12 came out with its ultra-broken Lunatic Reverse mode.

As you may have guessed by the intro, the main character of this game is Leaf, who was an important character in Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. This game is a sidequel to that game, telling us the story of Leaf before he joined Celice's army. For more info on that, you can check Frosteey's FE4 run. This game is, however, very self-centered in its own story, so playing FE4 is not a requirement.

Conditions of this playthrough:
- Every possible character will be recruited. There are several "this or this character" instances in the game, but I will go for the highest possible number of units.
- All Gaiden maps will be played.
- There's a point in which the game divides in two routes. I've already chosen the route to take, but I might play the other route to show you the maps. Haven't decided on this just yet.
- This is not a ranked run. I will try to show you guys as much as possible on every map, although there will be a few instances where I take the easy way out (aka Warpskip, which is nearly required in this game).
- It's purely a screenshot LP. Main reason is that I suck at video editing and commentary, and I feel much comfortable doing text comments. Also, while I will be providing commentary and answering questions in this thread, the meat of the LP (aka the pictures and the comments that go with them) will be hosted at and linked to my own site. This is mainly because it gives me more freedom for editing and I can work at a format I'm more used to.

---
FAQ
---

How does this game (aka FE5) connect with Genealogy of the Holy War (aka FE4)?
This game is a midquel to that game. Specifically, it starts around FE4 chapter 6, and ends halfway through chapter 8. This game also reveals a few things left unexplained in FE4, but don't expect an answer for EVERYTHING. Several FE4 characters also make cameos.

You said the game was released in 1999. How come the Copyright says 2000?
Two versions of this game were released. The first was a Nintendo Power (not connected to the American magazine) exclusive that allowed people to legally download a copy into a flashcart. The game was later released as a Super Famicom cart in 2000, which is the version I'm playing here. The second version fixes a few lines and glitches, and has a different ranking system.

Is there an English patch for this game? Why aren't you playing that version?
There is, but it glitches at several parts to the point it ruins the commentary, most notably wrong character sprites showing up. The translator also wanted to be clever and added some out-of-place jokes in certain spots. Don't worry, I will be explaining all the important plot points.

Is Marth...?
No.

Is Ike...?
No.

Roy...?
No.

---
Chapter List:
---
1.- The Warrior of Fiana (Post - Playthrough)
2.- The Village of Iss (Post - Playthrough)
2x.- The Pirate Isles (Post - Playthrough)
3.- The Gate of Kelves (Post - Playthrough)

(Other stuff to be added here soon.)

My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
(I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
Jave on

• JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Chapter 1: The Warrior of Fiana

Well, this is a really easy map, at least compared to the game's overall difficulty. You have the time to get used to most of the game's mechanics, getting to know your characters, and doing most of the stuff you will be doing for the whole game, such as killing and capturing enemy units and saving villages. The main objective here is to seize the map with Leaf (he's the only character that can seize, actually), but there's plenty of stuff to do and get before doing that.

Click here to read the playthrough of Chapter 1

Yes, I am aware that felt rather dull and too detailed, but there's a reason for that. The first few maps of this game (about the first four maps) are indeed kinda boring, as most enemies are weak and the main objective is an easy one. Because of that I will be using these first maps as some kind of tutorial to show you mostly how the game plays. Once the truly hard maps hit, I will focus less on teaching and more on beating the maps, and you will see where Thracia 776 gets its reputation.

Trust me, it gets a lot, and I mean A LOT better as we progress.

Jave on

edited June 2011
    Chapter 2: The Village of Iss

This is another relatively easy map, so there's not really much I can say about it. It's basically a help mission where we have to save some villages from Pirates, and since all the enemies wield axes and bows you can easily anticipate to their moves.

Click here to read the playthrough of Chapter 2
    I'm not really a fan of this map as I find really easy and dull. Marty getting +Skill and +Speed in his very first level up is something I never would have bet on, considering how low his growths are, and on average circumstances he's a character you shouldn't be using at all. I did use him in a previous playthrough and with several scroll abuse he turned out amazing. Maybe I'll do that for this LP, we'll see. Also, the man Leaf meets in the end is one of the most important NPCs in the game, you'll see why soon.

Next map is a Gaiden map (aka an optional map). Yes, we get one of those this early, and marks the debut of one of the most annoying features in the series, only in this game, it's ten times worse. You'll see on the next update.

Jave on

• FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hooray!

The first map always makes me kind of sad. So used to having hardly any axe users. Then they give you a bunch! But then they all look kind of boring and brown : (

Frosteey on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thracia 776? You're insane. Good luck.

WotanAnubis on
    edited July 2011
    Time for an update. We get the game's first Gaiden map, and despite the addition of Fog of War, I find it rather dull myself. It's for the most part just a trip towards the Seize point, outside of taking a detour for a couple of items. There's also a very important plot point established in this map, so combined with the fact this map is harder to miss than to get (save every village in Chapter 2), one might wonder why they even made it a Gaiden. It fits better as a regular chapter.

This is also the first time the game trolls us. You'll see why.

Click here to read the playthrough of Chapter 2x
    If you were used to the Fog of War of the GBA and later console games, you can see why this one is so annoying. This game takes almost every feature in the series and makes it worse, and Fog of War is only the beginning. Capturing enemies to recruit them becomes a requirement and a huge annoyance later on, as it won't be nearly as easy later on. Money is also very hard to come by, to the point the Arena and selling items are the only ways to get it. You're going to be capturing and stealing a lot.

Also, Safy and Rifis join as the first healer and thief of our team. These two classes are essential in this game (with Safy herself being in the top spot in the tier lists) but I won't spoil the reasons. Future maps will make it evident.

Jave on

edited July 2011
    Rifis is like the worst character ever : ( Worse than Sothe even : (

Frosteey on
    edited July 2011
    I wouldn't say Rifis is that bad, as he's useful for the first few maps for stealing certain weaponry (as future chapters of this run will show). He just gets completely outclassed by two far more useful characters later on.

Jave on

edited July 2011
    But he is a looooooooooooooser.

Frosteey on
    edited July 2011
    Well yeah, I can't argue with that. :P

Jave on

edited July 2011
    Here we are on Chapter 3. This is one of those maps that you can either finish quickly or take a few extra turns to do a side quest that pays off greatly later on. You'll be running into lots of these situations in the game, and stalling for turns for quiiiite a while.

Click here to read the Playthrough of Chapter 3

This is the point where the game takes an absolute turn. Leaf and Eyvel are captured and everyone else escapes, so as you may be guessing our team is going to be quite different in the next chapter. The difficulty also sky rockets as soon as the next map begins. Not overreacting here. The next map is what gives FE5 its reputation. It's not even funny.

And yes, staves can miss in this game. STAVES CAN MISS. YOU CAN'T RELY ON HEALERS. And we're just starting here. It gets worse. Never mind the fact we lost the healer we just got.

I really like the Corple cameo. It's going to give us something really good later on. That other kid that didn't give us anything will reward us next map as well. Make sure you check it out when it updates.

Jave on