As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 90's Are ALL THAT

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rane didn't you make the argument the other night that everyone in Avatar is actually a "fictional race" and not people of color.

well I mean

if something isn't expressed to out and out take place on earth

why would our world's idea of race be relevant at all

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote:
    That's easy

Swat Katz

that and Samurai Pizza Cats

high_five.jpg

Ahahaha fucking yesssss

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    It ain't that it's a cartoon, it's that it's fucking ThunderCats

There's plenty of awesome animation out there, and even plenty of decent kids shows

But none of them are the goddamn ThunderCats. Did you not watch the original? It was cheesy as hell, Snarf alone was basically a warcrime, the writing was alternatingly campy and overwrought, and it had goofy-ass voice acting. What on earth would lead you to believe that's gonna spawn a quality piece of storytelling?

bad argument

and the existence of the 80s show, which doesn't hold up well at all, does not allow the reboot to get a pass and gloss over basic storytelling because it's a cartoon, or the subject matter, or anything

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    Raneados wrote:
    Rane didn't you make the argument the other night that everyone in Avatar is actually a "fictional race" and not people of color.

no I made the argument that complaining that people in the live action avatar weren't asian was silly because they weren't asian in the cartoon, and that any person of any race should be allowed to play any role as long as it does break the story or the immersion, like straight casting a white child to a black family with no explanation

I don't feel like making this a thing at all right now.

I'll just say I disagree.

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    rane are you arguing that thunder cats takes place in a particularly deep setting

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    s-stop that

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    I did not even come close to saying that

what

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Raneados wrote:

There's plenty of awesome animation out there, and even plenty of decent kids shows

But none of them are the goddamn ThunderCats. Did you not watch the original? It was cheesy as hell, Snarf alone was basically a warcrime, the writing was alternatingly campy and overwrought, and it had goofy-ass voice acting. What on earth would lead you to believe that's gonna spawn a quality piece of storytelling?

bad argument

and the existence of the 80s show, which doesn't hold up well at all, does not allow the reboot to get a pass and gloss over basic storytelling because it's a cartoon, or the subject matter, or anything

I'm not saying it gets a "pass," I'm saying that expecting a shit show to get magically remade into a good one is really, really, really, really dumb.

Like if they announced a remake of The Love Boat and promised to update it for a "modern era" and put Sam Rockwell as the lead, I still wouldn't watch it, because it'd be the goddamn Love Boat.

I just don't know what exactly you were expecting

• Options
    I dunno what you guys are talking about Thundercats was a masterpiece of television

And I'm not saying that because Cheetara made my younger self start liking girls

wait this isn't the nerd confessions thread

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Are we seriously having an argument about Thundercats being cheesy

• Options
    Everyone in Avatar knows some variant of martial art

All Asian people know martial arts

therefore everyone in avatar is Asian

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Raneados wrote:

no I made the argument that complaining that people in the live action avatar weren't asian was silly because they weren't asian in the cartoon, and that any person of any race should be allowed to play any role as long as it does break the story or the immersion, like straight casting a white child to a black family with no explanation

which part?

or all of it?

if you disagree with the latter part then HMMMMMMMMMM

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    pooro, drink less

or drink more

basically modify your BAC so you aren't grumpy please

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Raneados wrote:

what

it sort of seems like that

also I found all these snarf slash fics in your sock drawer last week

please rane talk to us your father and I are worried

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Raneados wrote:

bad argument

I'm not saying it gets a "pass," I'm saying that expecting a shit show to get magically remade into a good one is really, really, really, really dumb.

Like if they announced a remake of The Love Boat and promised to update it for a "modern era" and put Sam Rockwell as the lead, I still wouldn't watch it, because it'd be the goddamn Love Boat.

"go watch a show for adults" is giving it a pass, it's dismissing it because it's "for kids", it doesn't have to pay attention to basic fundamentals and decent storytelling because it's "for kids", anyone who's watching it and has any problem with it shouldn't be watching it

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I don't understand why people get berated for having high expectations when they want something to be good

• Options
    Guys you know what is awesome?

Star Wars

on DVD

that I'm watching right now

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    Raneados wrote:

what

well

uh

I'm not saying that? read again?

vov
    what do you want from me, mom?

• Options
    Raneados wrote:
    Raneados wrote:

bad argument

"go watch a show for adults" is giving it a pass, it's dismissing it because it's "for kids", it doesn't have to pay attention to basic fundamentals and decent storytelling because it's "for kids", anyone who's watching it and has any problem with it shouldn't be watching it

yeah but thundercats is most likely not bad because it's "For Kids"

thundercats is bad because it was never really the best show

really no one should be watching it

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote:
    I dunno what you guys are talking about Thundercats was a masterpiece of television

And I'm not saying that because Cheetara made my younger self start liking girls

wait this isn't the nerd confessions thread

This thread started off about TeenNick actually being watchable, yet 2 posts in people decided to make it a 90s nostalgia thread, and now it's about fucking Thundercats. At this point, this thread can be whatever you want it to be.

• Options
    Raneados wrote:
    Raneados wrote:

what

well

uh

I'm not saying that? read again?

vov
    what do you want from me, mom?

I just wanted a normal son not this gay cat son!

you're being shipped off to Boot Camps tomorrow morning young man!

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    I wanted thundercats to be good, like i want EVERY show to be good, but apparently because it's a show primarily aimed at children, you're not allowed to have an opinion on it

• Options
    Raneados wrote:
    Raneados wrote:

bad argument

I'm not talking about the original thundercats, I'm talking about the new one, which is a different show almost entirely

basically everything except the names of the characters and what type of cat they are is different

• Options

Yeah, this is basically what I'm saying

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    Raneados wrote:
    Raneados wrote:

which part?

or all of it?

Well I mean it's a nice thought and I agree in theory.

But to say three characters who are very much products of their respective cultures, cultures which are all obviously based on a real world equivalent, can be whitewashed without breaking immersion while their entire background (including the race of the goddamn extras) stays the same is just ridiculous.

Casting a white child as the biological child of black parents is a pretty good example, but on a much smaller and more jarring scale obviously.

Maybe you're not as sensitive to matters like that, but can you get why some people be annoyed by something like that?

I want to do with you
  • Options
    Raneados wrote:
    Raneados wrote:

which part?

or all of it?

Well I mean it's a nice thought and I agree in theory.

But to say three characters who are very much products of their respective cultures, cultures which are all obviously based on a real world equivalent, can be whitewashed without breaking immersion while their entire background (including the race of the goddamn extras) stays the same is just ridiculous.

Casting a white child as the biological child of black parents is a pretty good example, but on a much smaller and more jarring scale obviously.

Maybe you're not as sensitive to matters like that, but can you get why some people be annoyed by something like that?

kind of a shitty snide remark at the end there, VI, dang :(

I haven't seen the avatar movie, and I was not aware that the extras were all asian, which WOULD be a jarring change if the main characters were white, as it wouldn't make sense and would fall into my "immersion breaking" thing. If they'r literally the only white people from their culture, then it's an immersion break

but again, the cultures are slightly reminiscent of asian cultures, the bending styles are all reminiscent on asian martial arts, the art is often asian inspired, but that's all because the art directors and artists and animators were basing off what they themselves knew and were basing the setting on asian culture, lots of different asian culture

I still never look at any of the characters in avatar and go "this guy is asian" and "this guy is white"

the actual people themselves aren't asian, they're fire/water/air etc, and in the cartoon, different looks of people make up each of the different cultures with lighter and darker skin tones all across the tribes

• Options

well I mean

Well I mean we're the ones creating and viewing it, so to pretend our perspective is irrelevant is silly. When someone sees a Water Tribe scene, they probably aren't going to just see mysterious dwellers of the Artic who wear fur and have brown skin. They're going to see the goddamn Inuit. Because that's what they're heavily based on.

I want to do with you
  • Options

well I mean

Well I mean we're the ones creating and viewing it, so to pretend our perspective is irrelevant is silly. When someone sees a Water Tribe scene, they probably aren't going to just see mysterious dwellers of the Artic who wear fur and have brown skin. They're going to see the goddamn Inuit. Because that's what they're heavily based on.

But they're not Inuit, they're water tribe

they're fictional

you can draw all the parallels you want to, but that's a personal thing

they're water tribe dudes, all they need is to look like they all could share the same culture through lots of generations, which means a similar look, similar skin tones, somewhat similar builds, and etc

if you're associated them with inuits, that's your prerogative, but they're not inuits

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Also snarf

E: That wasn't meant to be snide remark. You might not be particularly sensitive to race issues!

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    check it out I found snarf porn

it's not very sexy

• Options
    Oh Rane let's tackle it from the other end.

Why do you think they felt the need to make that change? Because the actors they got were the best at bringing the characters to life?

But they decided before seeing any actors that the characters were going to be Caucasian, because that's what the ads they put out requested.

So why did they feel the need to make the main characters white?

I want to do with you
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote:

Star Wars

on DVD

Eh, y'know what? I think I'll watch that too.

• Options
    Personally I think appropriating the culture of a group for your characters and then saying "Oh, no, these are totally fictional people and have no basis in the real world unless you choose to see it" is kiiiiiiiiiiiinda racist

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    guys let's talk about how great Samurai Pizza Cats was

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    Veretas wrote:

Star Wars

on DVD

HENROID!!!

HENROID! SHUT DOWN ALL THE GARBAGE MASHERS ON THE DETENTION LEVEL!

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Veretas wrote:

Star Wars

on DVD

HENROID!!!

HENROID! SHUT DOWN ALL THE GARBAGE MASHERS ON THE DETENTION LEVEL!

NOOOO! SHUT THEM ALL DOWN!

• Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    i dont even see colour (*)

sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Oh Rane let's tackle it from the other end.

Why do you think they felt the need to make that change? Because the actors they got were the best at bringing the characters to life?

But they decided before seeing any actors that the characters were going to be Caucasian, because that's what the ads they put out requested.

So why did they feel the need to make the main characters white?

I was not actually a part of that casting decision, so I don't know

it could be a dozen reasons ranging from yep racism to ideas of what would test the best

just from watching how the characters use the bending styles, we know that nobody paid a huge amount of attention to the show and didn't seem to care much about how it was transferred to the screen, despite what shyamalan says

it was a cash grab from start to finish, and what seems most likely is that they picked either generic actors or then-good standing actors to test as well as they could in the market and maximize profits

• Options
    Berk wrote:
    i dont even see colour (*)

berk stop making light of my medical conditions boo hoo

• Options
    "I'm a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Aldaraan!"

What should have happened at this point was, "Your crew fired on us when we were boarding your ship, that doesn't help your story in the slightest."