As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Fall of Raam - OOC

PinfeldorfPinfeldorf YeahZestRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Critical Failures
This is Raam.
raam.jpg
Life is extremely rough, hot and short for most. Though tempers flare as hot as the midday sun, the riots only seem to stoke further flames of rebellion before being quashed by the mansabdars. If not for the nawab warlords, surely the city would be run over; but a semblance or order remains. The scales may be tipping in one direction, but it only takes a sudden surge of weight to throw off that balance in one way or the other. Which way will it go? Our adventurers may have their thumbs on the scales.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
You responded to a simple parchment nailed onto the central trade board of the Market Square. It read, simply:
"House M'ke has a half-dozen opportunities available for able-bodied entrepreneurs, ruffians, scoundrels, historians, spelunkers and gifted. Seek the Offices of House M'ke in the C Quarter to meet your contact. The danger you face will be more than adequately compensated." -RM
________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Glad you lot could make it," rumbles the Mul sitting at the head of the table. He was introduced to you as Al'ichma, personal bodyguard of Rogil M'ke. "I'll be forthcoming with you: you are not the first group of sorry sots to accept this offer, and I do not expect you to be the last. However, if you do prove to be up to the task, there is wealth waiting for you. Perhaps even salvation, but I get ahead of myself. Before I give details of the task, I will give details of myself and receive details of each of you."

He stands, raises his fist to his chest and makes a shallow bow. A tattered leather patch covers his left eye, and the number of tattoos around his face, shoulders and forearms is matched only by the scars. "As the slave relayed to you, my name is Al'ichma, although the masses wouldn't really know me by that name. I was known as Gaj in my youthful days, in part for my eye, but mostly in part for my friendly countenance. I rose some hell before finally ending up on the wrong side of a templar's wrath, and was to be put down at the amusement of my fellow citizens. The rest of the story, I'm sure you know, is history. Except for the people that say I'm dead. I'm not, as you can clearly see. Now, I foresee some of the more dangerous tasks befitting House M'ke, such as protecting the higher-ups from rabble, finding reasonable talent to see some 'odd jobs' done (he motions around the table at this, suggesting this is exactly what is going on now), and sometimes even leaving the city to make sure our caravans don't encounter any...mishaps." With this, he slowly sits back in his wooden chair (wood! An entire chair of wood!). "Now, introduce yourselves, and let no foolishness of castes dull your opinions."
The stories behind the legendary gladiator, Gaj, range from him slaying a tembo by himself, thus earning his freedom, to some even less believable feats, like being able to make copies of himself in battle. The only one of the stories you're absolutely sure is true is that he is completely unrivaled in The Way.

White-robed slaves scurry about the table with trays of foods entirely unknown to you. They place bowls and plates onto the table, calling out what they are called as they are placed. You are able to make out some of the words, notably "apples," as a delicacy that grows in regions so lush not even the likes of Gulg should have access to it. But, here you are, in the lap of luxury, with perhaps the finest meal of your life lying on the table in front of you, with perhaps the greatest opportunity in your life mere steps behind it.

Welcome, adventurers, to the oozing blister on the diseased tract of land known as Athas. Within, you will encounter a world of lies, tragedy, moral ambiguity...and Halflings. This adventure is going to take place in and around the city-state of Raam (obviously), in the heroic and paragon tiers (perhaps into epic) beginning at level 1. Your character is recommended to be a native of Raam, although immigrants, nomads and the like that have not been here long are also perfectly fine.

Some general rules, subject to change, addition/subtraction based on questions I receive:

Races allowed: human, elf (you may be a drow in mechanics, but for all intents and purposes you will be considered an elf), eladrin, dragonborn (dray), dwarf, mul, genasi (no corrupted forms, no watersoul), tiefling, half-orc (half-tarek), half-elf, halfling, thri-kreen, goliath (half-giant), minotaur, kalashtar, shifter (either type) and last but not least, revenant (provided your past life choice is of any of the above).

Classes allowed: any non-divine. I am going to stick pretty rigidly with the whole arcane magic is taboo thing, so defile at your own risk.

Weapon breakage: reckless. In short, if you roll a 1, you can accept the miss, or you can reroll. Regardless of the result on your reroll, your weapon breaks, unless the weapon is metal, in which case it only breaks on a natural 1-5.

Magic items are scarce, but you will be getting a somewhat reasonable amount. It's not going to be like FR or Eberron, but I'm not going to withhold things when there is some awesome roleplay potential in magic items.

Themes allowed: any. Athasian themes are preferred, but not every outlaw is a wasteland nomad.

Standard level 1 rules apply: 22 point buy, 100 gold to start, inherent bonuses, and everyone can add three survival days to their supplies for free. You may only take an athasian psionic 'talent' if you are a psionic or martial class. Mixing power sources is wishy-washy in my eyes, and I'd prefer to keep the waters clear.

Each player will have a color they use when speaking in character. I don't care what color you use in your application, but do note that when the game is actually underfoot, these should be decided with amongst the players. Bolding is preferred. Slate grey will be used for out of character. Host your characters on Orokos, please, if you can, though myth-weavers is an acceptable substitute. Rolls should be made on Orokos or invisible castle.

Some general info about the setting:

Traveling will use your supplies. Nature, endurance etc. will be important for staying alive. The wilderness is harsh.

There will be talking. Big stupid Hurfdurf the half-giant fighter with no noncombat skills can and probably will be a not-insignificant weight on your party in times of information gathering, survival and other noncombat situations. That is not to say do not be Hurfdurf the fighter, just that the party can only really sustain one of him.

Know your character. Know how he would respond to harsh choices, as there will be some damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don't situations, and I would really appreciate some realistic role-playing here. If you have to do some heinous deeds for the greater good, I want to know how this is affecting your character both short- and long-term.
Things I want in the application:

A basic introduction, in character, to the others at the table.

A token or picture for a token to be used in maptools (I'll be taking screencaps periodically. I can make a token for you, so don't feel that you have to spend hours scrounging for a perfect token). Basic race portraits are fine.

The usual as far as background, what you do in Raam, personality, appearance, etc. Two specific things I want to know are your character's greatest strength and defining characteristic, and the opposite side of the coin, being his greatest fear/weakness, which should also be a defining characteristic.

One set of tandem applicants. This is something I am not set in stone in, but I would really like two of the characters to not be strangers, to provide a sort of sticking point for the rest of the party. Siblings, parents, husband and wife, a pair of slaves that escaped the salt mines together, what have you. Note that your decision to brief with other players on how to build a joint story is not going to be held against you. If this does not seem like a reasonable thing to want or expect, I can drop it very easily, it is just a thing I have not had the privilege to DM for and would like to see it.

So, that's it. This will be a 6 player game, and one thing to note is that the sixth slot may already be occupied by a friend of mine who can't get into a real life game and time constraints prevent him from playing in a live maptools game with me. As soon as I have a character draft for him, I will make it public here. Any questions, concerns or suggestions are welcome.

I will accept submissions up until August 14th, whenever I wake up. I will announce my selections at some point on that day, and will make a post declaring recruitment closed at such time.

PS: Please try to use decent grammar. It is a shortcoming of mine that I just get eye-twitching, low boiling anger at people who don't take the time to capitalize things, use 'to' instead of 'too' when they want the synonym for 'also', and things along that nature.

PPS: Post any other PBPs you are either playing in or DMing. I will try to give priority to people not in any PBPs, but standout characters will receive extra clout.

Pinfeldorf on

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Definitely interested. Haven't played a game in this setting yet, and would find the challenge entertaining. I am currently in two PbPs here on the boards.

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    yes/no on inherent bonuses?

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    yes/no on inherent bonuses?

Ah, right, of course. That's a yes on inherent bonuses. Forgot to add that, thanks.

• hotranhotran Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    One oh-so-fun monk coming up, likely within a day or two. Pinfeldorf, how set are you on the skills in the book being the skills we're stuck with? For example, I'd like to substitute (with good background reason) Nature for Heal; would that be ok?

hotran on
    The Long Way Down: Clank, Warforged Fighter
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm basically running this exact campaign in real life.

I may be contractually obliged to app for this.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    *reads Zed's contract*
    Yes, page 173, section 8, subsection 13, paragraph 3, line 4 states, "OptimusZed shall app to any games on the Penny-Arcade forums resembling any real life games he/she may be running." It appears you have no choice.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I'm interested, I have relatively little 4E experience, having DM'd it once on release, but I know Dark Sun very well and have the 4E version, and can get access to other books. (Though much of my knowledge is now probably apocryphical, and worse I haven't studied the 4E book enough to know what exactly has changed).

My current games are in my sig, though the game I GM seems to be fading, and susans game never really got of the ground. (sadly)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    edited July 2011
    As the slender elven woman sits down at the table, it is hard not to notice the spectral eagle that perches in the rafters above her. She smiles and places her totem in front of her on the table,"My name is Lendara. This is my totem. He, is my companion. You...are to be allies?" Lendara motions to her totem and eagle in turn, raising her brow slightly at the others sat before her. "I thank you for your hospitality Gaj, may the spirits of this world bring you long life." She smiles at the tattoo covered dwarf, wondering what exactly he had in mind for them.

Character info:
    Lendara Eagleeye, Elven Shaman
    Summary:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Lendara Eagleeye, level 1
    Elf, Shaman
    Build: Eagle Shaman
    Companion Spirit: Watcher Spirit
    Background: Geography - Desert (+2 to Endurance)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 11, Con 14, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 11, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10.

AC: 15 Fort: 13 Reflex: 13 Will: 15
    HP: 26 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Nature +11, Endurance +9, Perception +11, Insight +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +4, Arcana, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +4, Heal +4, History, Intimidate, Religion, Stealth +4, Streetwise, Thievery +3, Athletics

FEATS
    Level 1: Light Step

POWERS
    Shaman at-will 1: Protecting Strike
    Shaman encounter 1: Stormhawk's Fury
    Shaman daily 1: Great Watcher Spirit

ITEMS
    Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Totem
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
    Background:
    Lendara has known nothing but the harsh Athasian desert most of her life. Traveling across the barren expanses with her caravan, living off what they could, Lendara grew strong. It was when she was scouting for water that the eagle first appeared. At first she thought it a mirage or hallucination. Not until she felt its talons rest upon her shoulder did she believe. He has been with her ever since, watching over her an her allies.

The thing Lendara is most proud of is her ability to survive. She can find food or water where many creatures have already died from a lack of either. Enemies rarely surprise her, and few deceive her. If Lendara does nothing else, she lives.

Her greatest fear...has happened already. She is in Raam because her caravan is gone. No, not just gone. Destroyed. Devoured. Along with everyone else in it. She curses the fact that she lives, the fact she survives. More than that, she curses the bastards that caused her to be so alone. So now, her greatest fear is to lose anyone. To this extent she tries not to form close bonds, lest they be broken.
    Mannerisms & Appearance:
    Lendara is extremely lean and lanky even for an elf. If it were not for her manner of dress many would mistake her for a male. She is not particularly well endowed, nor curvy. Her leather armor has the rays of the sun beaten into it, small cracks forming despite her best efforts. Loose cloth covers her legs and arms, the white fabric providing what protection it can from the harsh sun. On her side is a carved piece of desert wood.

Lendara is helpful, but not one to make friends. Not being close to people is one of her ways of protecting them. Unless her more recent past is brought up, she is usually cheerful enough to not seem moody. She is usually cautious and on gaurd, using her spirit companion to keep an eye out.
    Picture:
    Farhaven_Elf_640.jpg

Anialos on
    If she's a Llanowar, she's got a lot of work to do.

Just sayin'.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    You make work sound like a bad thing Zed 8->

Don't get me wrong. I love my green mana.

edited July 2011
    hotran, my view on skills is that they are more of a guided path to follow. Not everyone is suited to follow the path, but it is best that most do. With good rationale behind it, I do not see it being an issue.

@ Zed
    I think you are contractually obligated to apply. But, more importantly, however similar you think our campaigns are, I assure you, you are the bagel to my squagel.

Pinfeldorf on
    edited July 2011
    Raqib, Wandering Dervish

raqib.jpg

The tall nomad looks strikingly unimpressed with the mul. He stands, having refused a seat, and stares somewhat uncomfortably at each other occupant in turn. His hands move constantly, flitting in and out of his cloak as though checking to confirm that various objects are where he thought they were. Sandled and swathed feet scuffle uncomfortably against the packed earth floor.

"If we're to be doing this, let us be doing it. This... motionlessness is infuriating. We should be out in the wind, so that it might cleanse us of the smells of this place."

Blurb:
    The familiar sound of individual sand grains pelting his inix-leather hood was the only thing keeping the young wanderer grounded at this point. The last moon had been one of great turmoil for him, to speak nothing of the tragedy that precipitated his flight. But it had been too long in the wastes with for him, and even his practiced survival skills could keep him alive only so much longer without resupplying. He had never been to one of these "great" cities before, but these were the most desperate times he'd known. He had little hope that there was any help to be found here, with the "civilized" peoples, but he was largely beyond hope at this point anyway. Better to risk survival than accept the certainty of death, as his uncle had always said.

Personality:
    Raqib is rough, tough and independent. He was trained as a dervish, and is completely capable of surviving on his own in the wilderness for long periods of time. He distrusts "outsiders", being anyone not of his tribe, and seems oblivious to the fact that here in Raam the outsider is actually himself. He has little patience for mercantilism and gets nervous around large number of people, especially non-humans. He views himself as a warrior and a devout member of his tribe, but his confidence has been shaken by the events that led him to Raam.

Appearance:
    Raqib is tall and would look a bit gangly if it wasn't for the layers of desert clothing he is swathed in. His face and upper body, including his arms and hands, is thoroughly tattooed and ritually scarred as due a warrior of his people. A scruffy beard adornes his face, hiding some of his jaw and cheek scars. The area around his eyes and his forhead are criss-crossed by symetrical geometric designs done in blue-black ink. Long, dark hair would fall to his shoulders if he didn't pull it back into a loose braid under his hood.

Combat:
    Trained as a dervish, Raqib fights in the manner traditional to his people. He bears a one-handed blade and binds his opponent with his arms and legs to prevent them from making it to a distance they are more comfortable with or escaping altogether. Unlike normal grapple Fighters, he's not necessarily technically grappling; he might be using footwork to prevent movement, locking legs to hold an enemy in place or even just knocking them off balance so that they cannot move away. He mixes in the odd arm-lock and hold, but most of his lockdown is via body position. His layers of desert clothing make such a display of footwork rather impressive visually. His mentality as a desert wanderer means that he has several backup weapons on him at any given time to avoid finding himself unarmed.

Special Note:
    I left the reason he came to Raam intentionally vague. I have kind of a conception of it, but it's not necessarily solid yet. If someone else wants to play another tribe member, we could work on that together. A Ranger or Barbarian or something would fit right in with the Dervishes.

OptimusZed on

Pinfeldorf wrote:
    @ Zed
    I think you are contractually obligated to apply. But, more importantly, however similar you think our campaigns are, I assure you, you are the bagel to my squagel.
    That makes me better, then?

Or simply less maddening?

I can never remember these things.

edited July 2011
    While putting cream cheese on them nets the same general flavor, one of them is a square, and is either to be shunned as different, or to be viewed as superior due to its ingenuity. Which one it is, I doubt anyone will ever truly know.

Also, did Raqib want to address the table, or were you waiting to flesh out the story some more?

Pinfeldorf on
    edited July 2011
    I'll be doing that after a bit. Especially if somebody wants to take me up on the dervish tribesman thing. If that doesn't happen, I'll be adding an address sometime tomorrow probably.

I'm also main-handing a khopesh now. Like a boss.

Edit: Added something real quick so that others can get an idea as to his characterization.

OptimusZed on

Ah! Forgot to put in that I'd be willing to edit Lendara being the only survivor from her clan if someone wants to be background buddies.

Here is that Monk I mentioned, Erdan: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=316091 I used Myth-Weavers for the sheet, but put him together in the Character Builder. Apologies for any mischief the transfer may have caused; I'll fix it.

Background

In a narrow canyon, on the northern side of the Stormclaw Mountains, there was a hidden village. Shielded from greedy eyes by its sheer remoteness and the magical skills of its protectors, the dwellings dug into the side of the cliffs were home to a community of escaped slaves from Nibenay. The people had access to water from deep springs, enough to drink and tend their gardens, and they counted themselves lucky. The first generation of escaped slaves was led by group of preservers, members of the Veiled Alliance, and their magic warded the village from both (relative) want and discovery.

It was here that Erdan was born, part of the first free-born generation. His parents died when he was still an infant, but like all the rest of his year mates, as he grew he took his place in the small society. His "uncle", Rankyl, was a monk, and brought him up, teaching him discipline by quiet example, and guiding him to seek the balance between mind, body, and soul that would give him the skill and wisdom to take his place as an adult, providing for and protecting their community. As he grew, Erdan learned these lessons well. Instilled as well with a reverence for life and the preserving path that sustained his community, all seemed well for him until his 21st year.

Erdan had left the village for several weeks, foraging for what little the largely self-sufficient village couldn't produce from their sheltered canyon. Upon his return, he was horrified to find the only home he had ever known devestated. It looked as though fire had swept through the gardens, turning them to ash and dust, and the homes were filled with blood and mangled bodies. Of his closest friends, and of Rankyl, there was no sign, but he held out little hope. Fearing that whatever had ravaged the village might soon return, Erdan quickly set out, gathering what he could carry of the remaining supplies.

But where to go? Erdan knew that without the support of his community and its sheltered home, he would not last long on his own. Over many dangerous days, he made his way to the only city he knew of, Raam, to hire out. In the Coin Quarter, he took the best position his skills could land him: three years indenture as a caravan guard.

Over his indenture, Erdan built upon the survival and combat skills he had honed since his youngest days, learning to move within the lower echelons of a merchant house as well as building his knowledge of the wilderness. The stories his elders had told of their days as slaves left him with a loathing of the institution as whole, but he quickly learned that lashing out at each injustice would lead to little more than his swift end. After seeing some slaves treated decently, he has tried, with difficulty, to temper his hatred, saving it for those who horribly mistreat their slaves. His real goal is to someday find any survivors of his home, and bring justice to those who destroyed it. He also yearns to reconnect with the Veiled Alliance, both to aid the cause and for any information another cell might have about his village's fate. As of yet, he has had no luck with either.

Intro

Initially, Erdan confined himself to the fine tea, elegantly poured by the white-robed slaves. As the group settles and Gaj finishes his speech, though, he reaches forward and selects a handful of sliced fruits that he has never sampled. "Moderation in all", he thought, Rankyl's words echoing in head. With a contented sigh, he turns over his shoulder at the standing nomad's words.

Turning back to the table, he speaks with a quiet calm, saying "Let us first learn more of those that may be joining us; we know not what the winds may be blowing."
    I'm still learning to use the new forums. Could be just me, but the color palette on the top right is gone; any hints on putting coloring text? And shoving links into text for that matter

edited July 2011
    [ color=putanameofacolorhere]"Text that will be that color."[/color]
    [ url=linkofplaceyouwanttexttopointto]Text that will be hyperlinked[/url]

rainbow

Anialos on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    Pak'cha, Seeker

46026.jpg

"I am Pak'cha," the short thri-kreen's voice hisses slightly as he falters for a moment, "I am... pleased to meet you." He continued to make eye contact with his compatriots, his lower arms shifting nervously under the table. He had kept his travelling pack strapped securely to his back, the worn leather bulging. He was extremely uncomfortable, but this was the best shot he had of establishing a new clutch.

Personality/Appearance
    Pak'cha is short and wiry for a Kreen, barely more than five feet tall, and looks almost malnourished. He is skittish and on edge constantly, especially around Halflings. He is absolutely desperate to develop relationships with other sapients, the death of his birth clutch has left him feeling incredibly alone and isolated. He uses the weapons of the group that slew his clutch, practicing so much with the ungainly and ill-fitted bow that he has become incredibly deadly with it. He refuses to use his people's weapons until he feels he has made amends for his past sins and can hunt down the people who killed them.

Background
    Pak'cha is the sole survivor of an attack on his people, spared only because he had rashly attempted a hunt on his own after being embarrassed by his lack of success. This was compounded by the fact he had begun tuteledge to call on the natural spirits of the world, The attackers were a multi-racial group, or at least the corpses Pak'cha found littered amongst his family were, only two live ones were left picking amongst the dead by the time he returned. One was a halfling who was cooking the leg of one of the Kreen, much to the disgust of his human companion. Pak'cha attacked them without warning in a brutal rage, managing to kill the halfling outright. The human he questioned, and learned that the greater part of the murderers had moved on the night before after taking heavy losses fighting the Kreen.

He spent more than a month trying to find any survivors, but was unable. In despair, he threw down the weapons of his people and began to train with the weapons of the people who killed them, practicing tirelessly to escape the raging and overwhelming guilt. He spent further months living on his own, growing extremely malnourished as he was still a rather pitiful hunter, especially with unfamiliar weapons. He was accosted three times by hostile hunting elves and humans and forced to fend for his life with use of natural magics and bow. He was able to disable his enemies, or escape from each of the encounters though by the very skin of his teeth the latest time.

It was that final encounter, made late in the night when he stumbled upon a camp set up by two ranging elven hunters, that convinced him he needed a new clutch as soon as possible. He was injured, and looking for shelter when he saw Raam in the distance. With so many peoples congregated into one place, he knew it as his best and final chance to find allies. Or die trying.

Defining Characteristics
    He has a good head under pressure and is able to work with frightening efficiency in combat situations. This has saved his life, defined his life in virtually every interaction he's had with non thri-kreen. He is able to put away what should be crippling fear and hatred of non-kreen and accept those that killed his clutchmates were individual actors for better or worse.

Shame and survivor's guilt drive him to take unnecessary risks and push him to prove his worth again and again. He is unable to escape the spectres of his past, the death of his clutch, and its driving him increasingly into a depressive spiral without any support.

Currently playing in Curse of the Crimson Throne and Death's Veil: King of the Trollhaunt Warrens

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Zerris Telith, Tiefling Psion

Picture:
    aaw4gm.jpg

Introduction:
    The youth wets his lips with a swipe of his tongue and purses them, extending an arm to gently - almost hesitantly - pluck an apple from the bowl on the table. He examines the curious fruit, tempted by it but utterly ignorant as to how one actually eats an apple; he slides the pad of his thumb over the smooth skin, raises it to his mouth and chomps down hard, biting right down to the core. He raises his brows in happy surprise, and chews. "Ah... Zerris. Pleasure-" he says, interrupting himself to chew a stubborn bit of apple, smiling too-sweetly at his tablemates before continuing, "Pleasure to meet you all, sorry. And I truly look forward to traveling with you all. Yes. Hopefully this will be easy." The tiefling gives an airy laugh, swallows his mouthful, and takes several more bites in quick succession, devouring his apple and grabbing another. "These are delicious."

Appearance, Mannerisms and Personality:
    Zerris is tall and lithe, although his slimness owes more to good birthing and the occasional bout of malnutrition than it does to athleticism and effort. He speaks well, able to switch from the fluidity and confidence of an orator to the rapid-fire pidgin of a street urchin in a blink. When bored or deep in thought, he tends to sway on his feet, bouncing his weight from heel to heel. He's fidgety.

He's brash and excitable in a way that can only be attributed to a combination of the blind enthusiasm of youth and the arrogance of being an exceptionally talented and poorly-trained psionic. Born out of wedlock, abandoned in an alley at birth, raised by a steady rotation of elderly foster parents and left to his own devices more often than not, his prematurely-manifested talents - as well as a general lack of stability in his life and a dearth of proper tutelage - have left him reckless, unappreciative of his gifts and prone to fits of ill-guided whimsy. Zerris is very personable in a way that is genuinely and unmistakably false; honeyed words and charm have gotten him far in life, but anyone immune to flattery can see through him as though he were a sheer curtain.

When the artifice of his persona is peeled away, Zerris is exposed as immature and insecure. Being able to probe the minds of others with little more than a thought hasn't made him any more privy to the complexities of his own conscience, and having grown up without the strong hand of familial discipline (or any kind of discipline, really) to guide him he is no stranger to self-doubt, confusion and indecision. He is absolutely not someone you would leave in charge of tactical or otherwise important decision-making.

emot-words.gif

lemme know if i left anything outttt

edit: not in any pbps at the moment~!

interrobang on
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Hashiq, Dervish Rage Speaker

Lounging in his seat in an attempt to mask his eagerness, Hashiq poked at the strange dishes placed before him curiously. Rolling his eyes at his brother's comment, he reassures the others "Forgive my brother, we Dervish enjoy all of your smells." Lifting a fingerful of something bright green from a plate he adds "Oh! Especially this one."
    ccf0408201100000.jpg

Background:
    Barely a handful of moons after Hashiq had begun training as spirit-speaker, tragedy befell the tribe. Fasting and meditating away from the others, his brother Raqib watching over him while he entered the trance, he felt the spiritual shockwave of their deaths. Still a novice, he had little control of his connection to the spirits, though the death of an entire tribe would be enough to overwhelm any shaman. Hashiq did not know how they died, but he knew they died as true dervishes. Not with fear, but defiance and rage. When he was finally able to speak again, he told Raqib of the visions. Though his brother wished to return to them, he knew they were all dead. Hashiq assured his brother that their end lay on that path. And it was better to risk survival, than accept the certainty of death.

Appearance:
    Hashiq shares his brother's gangly stature, as well as the tattoos (though he is yet to earn quite as many) on his forearms. His face is left unadorned, as befits a speaker, while his head is shaved apart from a braided topknot. As is also tradition for a speaker, he wears fewer protective layers, with only a scarf across his face and loose hides across his torso. Arms and forehead scarred from exposure to the sands, it is a miracle his eyes have survived to shine their deep green. Hashiq's bone-carved blades rest in leather sheaths strapped to his shins, when not spinning deftly in his palms.

Personality:
    When it became apparent he and his brother would have to enter the city, Hashiq could scarcely contain his excitement. Believing the spirits intended them to come to Raam, he is excited to learn more of the ways of 'civilized' folk. Far more trusting than his brother would like, and most often unable to mask his emotions (to do so would be contradicting his training), Raqib decided to seek out work in order to focus the young speaker.

In case it's not obvious, I'm teaming up with zed for some hot background action.

I'm in the Trollhaunt,Mal'dun and Odam pbps, but I've never played Dark Sun so pleasepleaseplease

Grog on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What are the 'standard' rules on backgrounds and themes? Both seem to add a bit power to a character, I'm not sure if they're standard for a character or not (I really like the Dune Trader theme, for now I've added it, haven't taken a background though) Also, he has a divine power due to racial traits. (because the only powers that run on Charisma that are not ardent are Divine or Arcane), if that's not wanted, let me know.

Dal, Half-Elf Ardent

Tavern Introduction:
    When the table introductions turn to him, he stands up theatrically, and with a single look the room grows silent. "My names Dal, and I'm decent in a fight, though I'd rather avoid them. My main asset is that I've lived on the streets of Raam for a long time. I know what's dangerous, I know who's dangerous, I know how far you can haggle without angering a trader, and I know who and where to ask, and not to ask, interesting questions. Not talking is at least as important, if you value your health in these parts. Oh, and I have a bit of experience leading merchant guards, and got out of that business alive. Not everyone can say that." He ends his little speech with a wink and disarming smile.

Physical Appearance:
    lsVbC.jpg
    Dark hair, dark eyes, suntanned and average height, Dals main trait is that he doesn't stand out at all, unless he wants too. Then suddenly he shines, with a great smile, and he always seems to get someone to buy him a drink, cut him some slack, or get a good deal if he wishes it.

Personality:
    Social and street smart, currently without long term plans, though steady employment would be nice. Likes taverns, likes a drink, though he's more likely to let the other guys get drunk, and see if he can get them to gamble. Always tries to steer conversations to other people or current events, so that his own past doesn't come under too much scrutiny. Not easily impressed by officials or house guards, though he knows that templars are trouble. Likes to have a Plan B.

Weakness:
    Doesn't like heroics, and tends to play it safe if violence becomes a possibility. Doesn't know who was behind the attack on House T'Lem, nor who House T'Lem gathered information for in the first place (Though he has heard rumors of something called "The Way.") Someone may come after him for his past. Has a soft spot for anything he can do against slavery, or helping former slaves. He also has never really set foot outside Raam, so he isn't that accustomed in either the desert or other cities.

Background
    Dal never knew his father, apart from the fact that he was an elf. And he doesn't remember much about his mother, who died when he was young. That's what happens to slaves, especially those used in manual labor. He does remember being sold as a slave himself, when he was perhaps six years old.

It turns out that the buyer had a knack for recognizing certain gifts, because even then Dal had a bigger psychic potential than most. Dal worked in service of a small intra-city Trading House named T'lem, which had one dangerous specialty: Delivering goods where others weren't willing to go, in the city or at the Nawab estates. Meanwhile, they were fed extra if they were able to supply their overseers with any interesting information about their customers, and were trained by an anonymous man to develop latent gifts.

Dals gifts proved exceptionally useful, as he developed the talent to listen in conversations, and peek around corners and second story buildings. Add to that a natural charm which greatly helped his survival, decent skill with weaponry where charm isn't enough, and he ate well for a slave. By the age of fifteen he was released from slavedom in order to negotiate deals and contracts as a member of the merchant class. It went without saying that using his freedom to change employer or tell anyone of the sidebusiness of House T'lem would be very unhealthy.

Four years later, a fire broke out at their headquarters, just as Dal was returning from a delivery in the slums. When he got close, the rumors were already spreading that everyone in charge had been found tied down, and burned alive, and that was the end of House T'lem. Very few people seemed to care, and noone would talk who did it. So for the last 3 months, he's been oddjobbing around the city instead, careful to never mention his past employer, doing alright for himself on his charms, and when he dares cheating at cards with his abilities, to make ends meet. This advertisement looks good though. Perhaps a bit too good, but at least there's a free meal.

Stats:

Dal
    , Half-Elf Ardent
    Init +1 HP 15/15 Bloodied 7 Healing Surge 3 (0 used /10)
    AC 16 Fort 14 Reflex 11 Will 15 Speed 5
    Str 8 (-1) Con 16 (+3) Dex 12 (+1) Int 10 (0) Wis 13 (+1) Cha 19 (+4)
    Trained Skills: Bluff +9, Diplomacy +11, Intimidate +9, Streetwise +9

Abilities
    Power Points: 2

Demoralizing Strike (At Will)
    Standard Action - Melee weapon
    Target: One creature
    Attack: +7 vs. AC
    Hit: 1d8 + 5 damage, and the target takes a -2 penalty to all defenses until the end of your next turn.
    Augment 1:
    Hit: 1d8+5 damage, and the target takes a penalty to Will equal to 4 until the end of your next turn.
    Augment 2:
    Close burst 1
    Target: Each creature in burst
    Hit: 1d8+5 damage, and the target takes a penalty to all defenses equal to 4 until the end of your next turn.[/OOC],

Energizing Strike (At Will)
    Hit: 1d8 +5 damage. and one ally
    within 5 squares of you gains temporary hit points equal to 4 .
    Augment 1 (Healing)
    Hit: 1d8+5 damage. and one dying ally within 5 squares of you regains hit points equal to your 4.
    Augment 2 (Healing)
    Hit: 2d8+6 damage. and you or one ally within 5 squares of you can spend a healing surge.

Far Hearing (At Will)
    Minor Action - Personal
    Effect: Choose one square you can see that is within 10 squares of you. Until the end of your next turn, you can hear as if you occupied that square.

Sensing Eye (At WIll)
    Minor Action - Personal
    Effect: Choose one square you can see that is within 5 squares of you. Until the end of your next turn, you can determine your line of sight from that square.

Thought Projection (At Will)
    Minor Action - Close burst 5
    Target: One or more allies in burst
    Effect You convey either an image or a message of 10 words or fewer to each target.

Ardent Outrage (Encounter)
    No Action - Close burst 5
    Trigger: You are bloodied by an attack
    Target: Each enemy in burst
    Effect: Each target grants combat advantage until the start of your next turn.

Ardent Surge (Encounter)
    Minor Action - Close burst 5
    Target: You or one ally
    Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain 1d6 additional hit points. The target gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
    Special: You can use this power twice per encounter. but only once per round.

Virtuous Strike (Encounter)
    Hit: 1d8+5 radiant damage, and you gain a +2 bonus to saving throws until the start of your
    next turn.
    Special : This power can be used as a melee basic attack.

Quick Formation (Encounter)
    Standard Action - Melee or Ranged weapon
    Hit: 1d8+5 damage, and either you shift 4 squares, or each ally within 5 squares of you can shift 2 squares as a free action.

Implanted Suggestion (Daily)
    Attack: +7 vs. Will
    Hit: 2d8 + 6, and the target is dazed (save ends)
    Miss: Half damage.
    Effect: The target is affected by your suggestion (save ends). Until the suggestion ends, whenever the target makes an attack, one ally adjacent to the target can make a melee basic attack against it as a free action after the target's attack is resolved.

Equipment and Wealth:
    Chainmail Armor
    Alhulak
    Adventurers Kit
    Disguise
    3 Survival Days
    15gp
    Any games I'm currently participating in are in my signature. If I made any mistakes, let me know, I'm not on 100% sure footing with 4E

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Totally fine with your dilettante power being divine. As you said, there are not many options, and it's a dilettante power to begin with, so it already breaks some rules. Just reflavor it in some way in that it acts more like an Ardent power and I don't see how anyone could have issues with it.

Liking the submissions so far, guys! Hope to get more, though!

Hate bumping my own thread, but I'd like some more apps!

Or maybe I just did something wrong and everyone hates me. Guess I'll just go eat worms.

I could throw up 4 or 5 more apps real quick if that would make you feel better.

I don't want you throwing up if we can avoid that.

There are other ways of expelling them, too.

Quality takes a dive, though.

• SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've been thinking of getting an application in for this, stil trying to think of a good character though.

Sakutian on
    My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
    edited July 2011
    I'm going to go ahead and remove my submission as there seem to be many folks trying for the controller slot, and they are involved in far fewer games than I am, hope you guys have fun.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • NorthGuardNorthGuard Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Samira Bastet, Human Sorceress

samira.jpg

A petite young woman in light robes, a veil obscuring all below the bridge of her nose, sits attentively with her hands on her lap. She has scarcely touched the food, occasionally sipping from a cup of tea. "I am Samira, a student of the Way." Her piercing gaze meets the eyes of all present, before she looks back to Al'ichma. "Though not as ... advanced ..." she pauses, a smile in her voice, "as some, my talents will be of use, I'm sure."

Background
    Samira is one of the Offspring, raised from infancy by a noble family in Raam. Born with arcane power flowing through her veins, she had the good fortune to be adopted by supporters of the Veiled Alliance. She has been taught from childhood to conceal her inborn magic, disguising or explaining it as expressions of the Way. Her incredibly strong resemblance to her mother, along with her gifts, have meant a life time of secrecy, lies, and disguises. The hatred of defilers & tyrants she learned from her parents pales in comparison to the personal hatred & resentment she holds for Abalch-Re. She serves the cause of the Veiled Alliance with great loyalty, ever hopeful that the time will come to put her mother's life to an end.

Personality
    By necessity, Samira has learned to be subtle. She secretly fears falling victim to the depravity that rules her birth mother, and so avoids emotional and physical indulgences of any kind. The calmness and serenity that she projects is as much a cover as her veil, and harder to keep in check. She accepts the exhiliration of using her power as her only outlet, and struggles not to revel in it.

Appearance
    Beneath her veils and robes, Samira is very nearly a mirror image of Abach-Re. In another time and other circumstances, such beauty would be a blessing - but to Samira, it has only meant misery, as she is condemned to conceal herself from the outside world. Samira has accepted her appearance as a potential tool in the right circumstances, and for that reason, takes great care in maintaining herself. She would admit no other reason, even to herself.

I'm not currently in any PBPs. I'll update shortly with a CB summary and fix some things. Might be some cross-background potential for Sakutian and I?

NorthGuard on
    I'd be up foor crossing our histories if we're both chosen.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
    Yay for more Veiled Alliance apps! This could be mad fun if one/each of us gets in. Sakutian, Northguard, I'd be up for linking our stories in some way if either of you are into it. I'm thinking minor to start, both as a function of Erdan's background, and so as not to prevent you folks from taking up the linked background slot. Maybe one of you somehow got a message to him, along the lines of "You might want to pay particular attention to (the message Gaj posted.)" ?

I'm always up for linking character backgrounds, I think it makes things far more fun than when the whole group is nothing but strangers. I'd imagine everyone in Raam that is part of the Veiled Alliance is at least somewhat familiar with one another, it seems like passing notes betwen one another would be a good place to start. I could definitely see Elsa wanting some backup.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
    I don't think I've ever seen a PbP recruitment thread with as many Controllers as Strikers.

Sakutian wrote:
    I'm always up for linking character backgrounds, I think it makes things far more fun than when the whole group is nothing but strangers. I'd imagine everyone in Raam that is part of the Veiled Alliance is at least somewhat familiar with one another, it seems like passing notes betwen one another would be a good place to start. I could definitely see Elsa wanting some backup.

Agree with you on the acquainted party. I'd say that Erdan has at least put out feelers of some kind searching for the VA, but having been out of town so much during his indenture would have prevented anything more. A preserver looking for some muscle as backup would make sense as someone that would respond to what he put out. Works for either you or Northguard.

OptimusZed wrote:
    I don't think I've ever seen a PbP recruitment thread with as many Controllers as Strikers.

Very true. Also, is it me or is there a lack of healing around? Maybe Pinfeldorf's friend is thinking about a class that could fill that role?

My shaman is a leader. Not the pure healing type if that is what you are looking for though.

We've got two leader apps (Shaman and Ardent). Neither are pure healers, but both should do the job just fine.

One Defender, 3 strikers, 3 controllers.

• Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    OptimusZed wrote:

Yeah, I haven't even seen a Controller get picked for any of the PbP's I've applied to.

^^^ Also, weirdly low Defender count.

Z0re on
    OptimusZed wrote:
    We've got two leader apps (Shaman and Ardent). Neither are pure healers, but both should do the job just fine.

My mistake. Totally blanked on the Shaman and I'm not all that familiar with Ardents.