As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who Wants To Play Some [Cowboys and Aliens]?

• Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    So people who have seen the movie
    Olivia Wilde's character is a shapeshifting alien that came to Earth to warn people and stop the aliens from whatever? If she's a shapeshifter than why did it change into a woman? And why didn't she just change into one of the aliens to fight them and whahrieiyrkad;hsfd;sai;fhi;erfa;dshf

Also, so the aliens are weak to sunlight because they spend so much time underground, and yet they had no trouble beating the shit out of the cowboys and indians outside in broad daylight?

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Olivia Wilde's character is a shapeshifting alien that came to Earth to warn people and stop the aliens from whatever? If she's a shapeshifter than why did it change into a woman? And why didn't she just change into one of the aliens to fight them and whahrieiyrkad;hsfd;sai;fhi;erfa;dshf

Also, so the aliens are weak to sunlight because they spend so much time underground, and yet they had no trouble beating the shit out of the cowboys and indians outside in broad daylight?
    The aliens had no trouble beating the shit out of them because 90% of the time, they weren't teaming up against the aliens, or even using weapons, they were turning tail and running away.

And I'm not even gonna try to explain the Olivia Wilde thing. Even I didn't understand that.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular

She shapeshifted into a human so she would have a shot at getting with Daniel Craig, of course. Who wouldn't?

But yeah, the deadliness of the aliens shifted dramatically from scene to scene. One minute the humans are being mowed down like cattle and the next the aliens seem unable to even take down Harrison Ford who is both a bajillion years old and a sitting duck as he mourns the loss of that Indian kid he kind of seemed to hate

• Options

The aliens had no trouble beating the shit out of them because 90% of the time, they weren't teaming up against the aliens, or even using weapons, they were turning tail and running away.

And I'm not even gonna try to explain the Olivia Wilde thing. Even I didn't understand that.
    But I'm talking about the final 20 minute battle where, in the scene immediately beforehand, Wilde said they don't like sunlight

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

No, wait, what? What the fuck? Awh, goddamnit. This shit again? God I hate that shit.
    It's fucking Signs all over again.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Tox wrote:

No, wait, what? What the fuck? Awh, goddamnit. This shit again? God I hate that shit.
    It's fucking Signs all over again.
    No, no the sunlight doesn't actually hurt them, per se, they just can't see very well in daylight

Or they're not SUPPOSED to see very well in daylight, they didn't really seem to have much trouble finding people and ripping out their guts

• Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Other stupid thing about the aliens
    Having their hearts fully exposed when their chests open up and that scene where the alien tries to grab the kid with his fleshy arms that are shorter than his normal ones

• Options

But I'm talking about the final 20 minute battle where, in the scene immediately beforehand, Wilde said they don't like sunlight
    Magic.

• Options
    Other stupid thing about the aliens
    Having their hearts fully exposed when their chests open up and that scene where the alien tries to grab the kid with his fleshy arms that are shorter than his normal ones

Are you kidding? That was hilarious
    "OH LOOK AT ME I'M THIS GIGANTIC FUCKING ALIEN THAT'S GONNA EAT YOUR VERY SOUL AND MY CHEST OPENS UP AND I GRAB YOUR HEART WITH MY HUGE HANDS oh wait I have T-Rex arms woops"

• Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    This movie was the most fun I've had at the theater in a while, but I went in with that mindset. I wanted it to be silly and it was! I wanted it to be action packed and it was! I wanted it to have pretty people starring in it and it did! I wanted aliens to be in it and by golly, there were aliens!

If your expectations for this movie deviate too far from that list, you will probably not like it. But if you want to see a super-fun summer popcorn movie, you have just hit the jackpot

this is the mentality i went in with and it was literally the most boring experience i've ever had at a movie
    i was checking my watch every other second

• Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    and why does it even matter if

spoilers
    olivia wilde sacrifices herself? because she is apparently immortal?

god the whole movie was just mind blowingly bad. not in a snakes on a plane way, just regular 'this isnt fun. this is bad'

a film needs internal consistency, and this did not have it.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I found myself agreeing with this review a lot
    But there are no answers. While the film plays out like a mystery of some sort – we get progressive flashbacks to explain what happened to Craig (as if we couldn’t figure that out pretty much from the start) – the aliens have no real motivation to be taking humans. And so the mystery has no payoff; anybody with a functioning brain can figure out what happened to Craig’s wife, and then there’s no larger reveal about the aliens. The script is by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, credited amid a flurry of previous writers, and the structure of the film feels poisoned by the JJ Abrams touch. Not everything is a mystery, guys.

There’s plenty of the poisonous Orci and Kurtzman touch as well. The plot is limp and feels arbitrary, dropping elements suddenly (“We’re trailing a wounded alien!”) in favor of new plot elements (“The Indians who arrived out of nowhere will heal your brain with peyote, meaning we no longer have to bother with the wounded alien!”). The character development is simply dismal, and some characters get redeemed by… well, by nothing. They just are, and you should fucking deal with it. One guy changes clothes and that’s all the big redemption he needs.

Don’t worry, there’s some blame to spread to Favreau as well. The entire film is limp, without any feeling of urgency or excitement. The action scenes are boring, and an attempt to create three-way parallel action in the big climax is a miserable failure. This is the sort of movie where the aliens are invincible right until the film needs them to be highly vincible, which is the worst sort of action movie bullshit. That whole climactic action scene is truly terrible, though, with some of the worst cross-cutting I’ve seen in a picture like this, and with some of the ‘action’ being simply ‘dull.’ One section has Olivia Wilde climbing through an alien ductwork system being chased by a creature who is never spatially established in relation to her, robbing the whole thing of any tension or even comprehension.

The aliens are pretty okay, except for one shockingly stupid evolutionary trait which must have come from the bad script (they have little arms that unfold from their carapace, which they use for fine manipulation. But when their hands are out, their heart is fully exposed. WTF, Intelligent Designer?). They look a lot like big locusts or grasshoppers, kind of reminding me of the Chiggers from Space: Above and Beyond. They’re definitely in line with the Super 8 monster in that they’re highly evolved intelligent beings who don’t wear clothes and bound around eating people’s faces off like monsters, a curious disconnect that would be interesting if it meant anything but probably just comes from a development process where the producers wanted space ships AND scary monsters.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Really, you could've taken Olivia Wilde's character out and it would've been a better film, or at least more interesting

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    and why does it even matter if

spoilers
    olivia wilde sacrifices herself? because she is apparently immortal?

god the whole movie was just mind blowingly bad. not in a snakes on a plane way, just regular 'this isnt fun. this is bad'

a film needs internal consistency, and this did not have it.
    obviously her people could die, because they got killed off by the aliens when they were mining her planet for gold. They could have explained the rules better, though.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    PiptheFair wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    look
    if Keith and I can agree that a movie looks dumb

you've got yourself a problem
    I ignore keith's opinion on everything because fucking seriously

Yeah I don't think you two have very divergent opinions.
    he likes popmusic and chick flicks

i like rock and action
    he hates giant robots, i dig giant robots

we do not often agree
    Hey now, I like rock music and action movies, too

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    PiptheFair wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    look
    if Keith and I can agree that a movie looks dumb

you've got yourself a problem
    I ignore keith's opinion on everything because fucking seriously

love you, too, Pip

• Options
    Keith made a Blink 182 thread

Keith has a Ke$ha av/sig

Keith likes rock music and action movies

Therefore Keith has amazing opinions and is awesome and perfect

• Options
    :oops:

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote:

She shapeshifted into a human so she would have a shot at getting with Daniel Craig, of course. Who wouldn't?

But yeah, the deadliness of the aliens shifted dramatically from scene to scene. One minute the humans are being mowed down like cattle and the next the aliens seem unable to even take down Harrison Ford who is both a bajillion years old and a sitting duck as he mourns the loss of that Indian kid he kind of seemed to hate
    Counterargument: All the Nazis, commies, aliens, robots and terrorists ever haven't been able to do that. Why should these guys manage?

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Battlefield LA was boring. Fell asleep boring.

decent shooting, explosions, and that's about it

everything else about that movie was completely forgettable

like right now I could not tell you 1 person that was in that movie other than the rodriguez girl, and I only remember her because every time she was on screen i was like I HATE THIS CHICK I HATE THIS CHICK I HATE THIS CHICK I HATE THIS CHICK I HATE THIS CHICK I HATE THIS CHICK

was ziggy in it? from the wire? I kinda want to think he was, but maybe I'm remembering generation kill

ooh was the other guy from generation kill in this? I dunno because everyone was wearing fucking fatigues and there were like 30 dudes all running around at once, who the fuck knows who was who

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Was it Skyline or Battlefield LA that ends just as it starts getting interesting?

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Rane, Aaron Eckhart was in it

You know, Harvey Dent

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    was he?

and it was skyline that ended just as it should have started GOING

skyline was also terrible

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    He was like the main Marine

The square-jawed blonde one

• Options
    I know what he looks like n all

but seriously that movie was so goddamn forgettable, I seriously can't remember him being in it

• Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    Battle LA was boring boring boring, I slept through the last half an hour. The other day I overheard somebody saying it was their 'favorite alien movie ever' and that almost ruined my day.

Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    umaro I think we agree on a lot of stuff

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    currently, my favourite alien movies are either Paul or Aliens.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    currently, my favourite alien movies are either Paul or Aliens.

Your favorite is Aliens.

This is nerd law.

• Options
    i liked paul a lot

• Options
    Paul was so fucking charming. I thought it was just going to be a stoner flick, and then it was actually amusing. and had a good time.

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    i thought paul was mostly not very good and i was disappointed especially as it was written by pegg n' frost

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    We're very different people exist.

• Options
    iammattpleeveeiammattpleevee Registered User regular
    I can proudly say that there is no movie in history that I have watched that has been so boring it has put me to sleep.

Did you see clash of the titans. I watched that in theaters. It was either leave or fall asleep.
    Also, Gus Van Sant's Last Days. So boring.

This movie looks boring. I dislike Daniel Craig for some reason. Olivia Wilde is attractive though.

SteamID iammattpleevee@aol.com
    Battle.net: Matt 3999 or iammattpleevee@gmail.com
    PSN?: iammattpleevee
    life-before-google.jpg
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    i fell asleep during pirates of the caribbean 3

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I can proudly say that there is no movie in history that I have watched that has been so boring it has put me to sleep.

Did you see clash of the titans. I watched that in theaters. It was either leave or fall asleep.
    Also, Gus Van Sant's Last Days. So boring.

This movie looks boring. I dislike Daniel Craig for some reason. Olivia Wilde is attractive though.

speaking of clash of the titans, has anyone seen the trailer for that immortals movie? It came on before captain america for me, and that shit looks incomprehensible. And not in a good way.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    The Immortals is going to suck.

There's really no question about it.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VdONYkKFmQ

what is even going on in this trailer

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Bullshit.

No, wait.

Shiny bullshit.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Looks like 300 Part 2: 300 Harder

belruelotterav-1.jpg