As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Prime: Battle for Dominus] New and upcoming Sci-fi MMO

ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
Okay, the name is generic enough but I've been looking around on the net and it seems very interesting.
Apparently, they announced it little less than a month ago and are releasing it later this year, and have been using various licensed engines such as the Hero-engine (Found in SW:TOR) to jumpstart their development.

Warren Weems, President and co-designer talks some more about this

Bulletpoints
Scifi MMORPG
Prime Battle For Dominus is a science fiction Massively Multiplayer Online Game. Its story will evolve over time, but at the center of it all is the interplanetary struggle between Earth and two other alien races.

3 Playable Factions

Ally with three totally unique factions. Whether you choose Human or one of the two alien factions, Rodon or Salent, each has its own perspective on the current events in the game.

Character Progression

Everything you do adds to your overall skill. Start the game as an elite Human, a genetically engineered Rodon, or a nascent Salent and build your character into a powerful avatar.

Huge Universe

Explore 11 worlds with over 25 large seamless areas. Don't be fooled by the beauty of the planets of Prime Battle For Dominus. Each has its own mysteries to discover and its own danger.

Massive Battles

Join the struggle for dominance by establishing bases, stopping invading forces and braving war torn planets.

Professions

By specializing in one of 7 professions you can discover new inventions, construct incredible items, develop enhancements, and make your character rich beyond belief.

Missions

Whether you follow the story that develops around you or decide to just explore on your own, your skills will be put to the test with exciting missions.

GM driven content

One of the main attractions of a massively multiplayer game is that you play with real people! Many player encounters are conducted by real players and are not just elaborately scripted events.

Strategic Base System

Establish a foothold for your faction and take control of valuable resources in the game by calling in any one of 7 different base structures. Each structure has a different function in strengthening your factions position. Be ever wary, each of the other factions will take every opportunity to destroy your bases and deploy their own.

Amazing Graphics and Sound

Prime Battle For Dominus is designed to look great on most modern PC's. The sound and music is also important to the overall feel of the game and has been done by professionals with many AAA titles to their credits.

The three factions

Human
ai7dR.jpg

Rodon
cAjpG.jpg

Salent
r6D5D.jpg

More videos

Character creation

Early gameplay

Shanadeus on

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    You know you're dealing with nice humans when you see they've got bullets in their emblem.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I *think* this has a few Dark age of Camelot people working on it. Might have read that in the SA thread but it could have just been a fever dream.

edit: bunch of interviews here http://gamerriot.com/forum/forums/prime-battle-for-dominus.30/

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    edit: i hate the new edit function

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Not enough info to get excited about yet, but I love this possibility:
    GM driven content

One of the main attractions of a massively multiplayer game is that you play with real people! Many player encounters are conducted by real players and are not just elaborately scripted events.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    There are a couple of interesting possibilities and little details that make me vaguely interested, at least they're not trying to draw out the hype but are rather ready to deliver this very year.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    "Can't think of interesting races. Let's use what Starcraft uses."

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I missed the opportunity to say what I wanted by a minute. Goddammit.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I like how the Rodon are the obviously evil race. Their emblem is like a hyper aggressive face of an Orc.

Also, seconding that the United States of Bullet's flag is pretty hilarious.

Looks like it'd be fairly easy to do a Watchmen style "blue superman" character with the Salent, too.

Archonex on
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    A lot of interesting ideas here.

I'm pretty happy with the races. Familiar sci-fi archetypes. Its easy to find things to complain about. I know it's the cool thing to do but at least it isn't elves, dwarves and that other boring shit.

Looks like they're trying to adopt a lot of the best features from DAoC that we haven't seen in MMOs in a good while. Interested to see how it shapes up.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    It looks like crafting will be very heavily emphasized going by the interviews.
    The best "gear" will come from crafters, nor loot.

The way you get crafting materials is also very neat.

You drop off a mining robot in an area which you've pinged for resources and let it gather the stuff you need for up to 24 hours while you continue with your business.

Then you just return to pick the stuff up.

• Options
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    This announced it was shutting down today. Sorry for the necro.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04/30/pitchblack-games-dominus-abruptly-shutting-down/

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    Well crap, there were a few people from the old dark age of camelot team working on this and I was looking forward to at least giving it a shot.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Yeah, shame it died. Sounded like they had some innovative ideas in the works for pvp. Still, it's a crowded market and probably better that it didn't release half done.

ECOED.jpg