As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLEFIELD 3] - Jets spotted (new trailer in the op)

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote:
    I am also finding origin must be running to play bf3.... didnt they promise this isnt the case? is this an alpha only thing?
    Alpha only thing, otherwise they couldn't tie your account to the Alpha properly.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Pre-ordering from Origin is crazy expensive
    They must be using norwegian retailer prices

Amazon UK it is!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I was about to say that this looks just as shitty as I thought Bad Company was (Seriously, Battlefield has no place in the lower pop MP genre.).

Then I saw the Frostbite demonstration video, and I almost spat out my drink at how good it looks. I mean, holy shit, the gameplay visuals are on par with modern cinematics.

Then I realized the PC version is going back to having the old high player cap in MP. And I did spit out my drink. And it was glorious.

Is there any way to get in on the alpha?

Archonex on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote:

Either give blood to the blood god or blow a Swede. Or just be lucky.

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    emp123 wrote:
    Archonex wrote:

Either give blood to the blood god or blow a Swede. Or just be lucky.

Blood to the blood god, you say?

Please, then, come this way, and step onto my sacrificial altar let me show you my fine collection of wares and exotic goods.

This game is dying to have a BF2142 version made using this graphics engine. Imagine Titans, now loaded to the gills with anti air guns, anti tank guns, and giant artillery cannons (Unlike the old titans, which had a woeful number of them.) plugging away at each other over a ruined, destroyable city in the arctic regions, all while two armies duke it out in aerial combat/assaults, and on the ground, the city literally falling apart around them, as the battle wages on.

It'd be a great excuse to boost the player cap, too. One of the complaints I always had about Titan mode was that there weren't really enough players to go around, between manning the Titan, assaulting the other Titan, and defending/attacking points.

Archonex on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I just received an alpha invitation today, and promptly installed it with no knowledge of how the Alpha runs.

Are you supposed to use EA's web browser to join a game? When I start it up, it immediately opens up Firebox and forces me to join games from there.

I shouldn't have to point out how most of us prefer to have our browsers closed so as to save memory. I have like a hundred tabs open that I don't intend to close.
    So your problem is that they require you to use the browser, which you want to close, because you have tabs you want to keep open?

"I want to close my browser to save memory, but I don't want to close my tabs."

I don't get it either.

It (hopefully) won't be in retail.

What I mean is that if I have to leave my browser open (though it turns out I could close it just before the game launches, as stated above), I don't want to close all my other tabs except the Battlefield one in order to reduce the memory cost.

I couldn't tell you exactly what effect each additional tab has on total memory, if any, but it's all irrelevant anyway as the whole browser thing is lame and hopefully temporary.

So is there a manual on the controls? I'm not too familiar with the BF setup, so I couldn't even get out of a vehicle as it was ready to explode, much less instantly pull out a grenade on someone.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    It's not like you even need to have Origin running for the alpha. Just bookmark the Battlelog.

Are you sure? I tried linking the exe to Steam, but opening it that way automatically opens up Origin.

Also, you can take Steam screenshots that way (great way to get certain folks envious), but the game also chugged quite a bit, presumably due to using Steam.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    It uses browser plugins to launch the game client.

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    I just received an alpha invitation today, and promptly installed it with no knowledge of how the Alpha runs.

Are you supposed to use EA's web browser to join a game? When I start it up, it immediately opens up Firebox and forces me to join games from there.

I shouldn't have to point out how most of us prefer to have our browsers closed so as to save memory. I have like a hundred tabs open that I don't intend to close.
    So your problem is that they require you to use the browser, which you want to close, because you have tabs you want to keep open?

"I want to close my browser to save memory, but I don't want to close my tabs."

I don't get it either.

It (hopefully) won't be in retail.

What I mean is that if I have to leave my browser open (though it turns out I could close it just before the game launches, as stated above), I don't want to close all my other tabs except the Battlefield one in order to reduce the memory cost.

I couldn't tell you exactly what effect each additional tab has on total memory, if any, but it's all irrelevant anyway as the whole browser thing is lame and hopefully temporary.

So is there a manual on the controls? I'm not too familiar with the BF setup, so I couldn't even get out of a vehicle as it was ready to explode, much less instantly pull out a grenade on someone.

It seems like the simplest solution to this is to open the Battlelog URL in a browser you don't normally use. I actually had to grab Firefox because the Battlelog keeps crashing on IE9 on my PC.

• TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Echo wrote:
    It uses browser plugins to launch the game client.

Which in turn launches Origin. I've tried this.

It seems to be a thing with the Alpha. I just bought BF2142, and that doesn't need Origin to be running to work.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I can't imagine that the battlelog will be the primary game interface in retail. It just seems so... primitive.

You know, I've been a PC gamer my whole life. For a very long time I considered the PC to be my native platform. But lately, all the shooters I've played have been on console, and it feels weird to be playing BF3 on PC. MW2, Black Ops, Crysis 2, Borderlands, and Bad Company 2 have all been played on console. Strange to be using a mouse and keyboard again. And yet I was able to slip right in. Everything just works. However, I'll probably still be buying this for PS3 when it goes live. Its still cool to be playing on PC though.

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    I don't have the strength to give up 64 player battles for consoles

I need the chaos of those battles every now and then to fully appreciate Battlefield

t5qfc9.jpg
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Shotgun medic is situationally delicious as ever. :D

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    I can never get close enough to use it. What kind of tactics do you use to get close?

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    The M1014 actually has a pretty good range/rof. You don't have to be as close as you probably think

• Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    More LAV misadventures: I some how managed to drive it into the subway and camp the defender's spawn for the whole second part of the round.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So I got an alpha invite. And it won't let me login to my account. It appears I have an old account, which needs upgrading, but it won't let me login witht he password THEY FREAKING SENT ME WITH THE PASSWORD RECOVERY TOOL. WHAT. This is not helping dissuade my opinion of Origin.

• tofutofu Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    So I got an alpha invite. And it won't let me login to my account. It appears I have an old account, which needs upgrading, but it won't let me login witht he password THEY FREAKING SENT ME WITH THE PASSWORD RECOVERY TOOL. WHAT. This is not helping dissuade my opinion of Origin.

Have you tried contacting EA support?

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    TheExAm wrote:
    I can never get close enough to use it. What kind of tactics do you use to get close?

It suits me more than I can say as a play style.

First, Its far better on D than on O.

On O its only for sections 2, 3, 4. 1 has quite a bit of open space and getting in is an issue. Unless you like hanging back and jamming q.

D wise On section one again its not great... Until they have A you push out and hide in soft cover/walls. Stick and move. It has decent range at the cost of an extra shot to kill. When they have A, under the bridge (in the pond, to then right of B) is an excellent spot as towards B it is 'spot assist city' as they move right to left over a hill towards B... You are in a flanking position- its not a direction they often check, and its very dark... you blend in... AND you can plink at them with your 45 too. And behind you is the wall.... if they jump it then they get a shotty to the face. Radar usage can give you eyes behind you in that case. Switching to the Big HUD map helps some here. But pretty worthless till they have A.

The rest of the sections on the map its pretty easy to find tight spaces, and corners to unload on them. You beat almost anything in close shot for shot. The only issues is its a 2 hit kill.... with 4 in the clip. If you come up on a group its nades first, or stare at them while reloading.

Making a shotty work is about being aggressive, and flanking like mad. The beauty of the shotty medic is if you get in a fox hole and a few go down, the enemy will rush the spot. They eat buckshot for it. You rez mates... on you go.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    tofu wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:

Have you tried contacting EA support?

Apparently contacting support (the button of which is hidden like the holy grail) requires a login. Which works. But none of the others will work. Weird. Waiting for a live support guy now.

I am going to hag in the BF pa vent channel tonight. If you are in alpha we can link up and use the battle log to join as a group.

Find me there.

edited July 2011
    hahahahahahahahah
    "Uh, sir we don't see any record of you having been sent an invite."
    "Really? Because I'm staring at the invite in my email, the links in it don't take me to phishing sites, and the email it was sent from appears legitimate."
    "...show me the email in your inbox with this screen sharing software."
    "Ok, sure."
    *30 seconds later*
    "...I am elevating you to senior support staff. One moment."

So it appears EA fucked up somehow.

edit: and now I have a half hour wait! Oh joy. Is this even worth it?

SniperGuy on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Got anything else important to do? :P

• 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Breathing.

u4OkoEI.png
    An excellent point has been raised!

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I'll definitely join up on Vent if ya'll gonna play.

• 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Let's do it, then.

u4OkoEI.png
    Im in the bf channel where are ya?

So uh. The chat thing just finally rolled around to me being next in queue. "There are no advisors available to chat with you right now. Please try again later."

Are you fucking KIDDING ME EA?

Ea. lol.

For future reference- WE have to be friends on the BF 3 web page to launch together. My solider is mojojoeo look it up there and add it as a friend.

BF3 facebook is a shitty idea.

edited July 2011
    SniperGuy wrote:
    So uh. The chat thing just finally rolled around to me being next in queue. "There are no advisors available to chat with you right now. Please try again later."

It sounds like you're pretty.....Steamed.
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

I need a manual for the controls. Where can I read one?

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited July 2011
    SniperGuy wrote:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Left mouse is fire, right mouse is aim.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
    edited July 2011
    SniperGuy wrote:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Left mouse is fire, right mouse is aim.

From the forums you are supposed to read to post bugs.

Enlisted: 2011-07-20

W = Forward
    A= Strafe Left
    D= Strafe right
    S= Back

Z= Prone/Exit prone
    Ctrl= Crouch

Q= Spot enemies
    Quick Knife = F
    Grenade = G
    Flashlight = T
    R = Reload
    Hold R = Pick up weapon/ammo
    E = Arm/disarm m-coms

Chat:

J = ALL
    K = Own Team
    L= Squad.

mojojoeo on
    So there is a quick knife key.

Why the hell isn't it middle-click, and why won't it let me map it? :(

edited July 2011
    No its not a quick knife key. Its just equips it. Its not what you think. This is not BC2.

F slowly pulls the knife out knife. Then left click to slowly attack with it. Or just fucking shoot the guy.

mojojoeo on
    edited July 2011
    whoops

mojojoeo on
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Any of you dudes still playing? Going to hop on for a little bit.

Ill jump back on

• BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    I guess invites have stopped down with the Alpha being over in a couple days?

Darn.

This discussion has been closed.