As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Thundercats 2011] Where saying the word HO! will never be Inappropriate.

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    VoodooV wrote:
    Exactly. They treat magic as if it was technology, so watching them scoff at "tech" made me go huh?

Tech is like alchemy for them, I guess.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Their knowledge of technology is at the pulley/lever state. The tech shown by the lizards is at the laser/electronic state.

From a certain point of view its the same as believing in magic.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I just watched both episodes minutes ago, and I really enjoyed it. It met my high expectations and I hope it has a bright future ahead (unlike Young Justice which....man, when the hell is that airing again?).

Pros:

1. The animation is gorgeous. People can huff and puff all they want, but Japan has always been the lead when it comes to TV animation, and when it's put to good use (as in, something that isn't a giant-breasted, panty-showing "comedy"), the results are always spectacular. Seriously, I wish we had more cartoons that matched this kind of level. Did you see how Lion-O's eyes glowed in the dark? Man.

2. Tygra as an arrogant, smug asshole prince: I never pictured him that way, but the role fits him so well. I'm looking forward to see how far their rivalry goes (and I wouldn't be surprised over a Lion-O/Tygra/Cheetara love triangle). Edit: Ah, seems I was right. I just hope they don't turn it into a back-and-forth thing.

3. Larry Kenney as Claudus: Who the hell didn't grin ear-to-ear when he yelled out that famous battle cry?

4. The Cat democracy: It was real interesting to see the Cat race as smug bastards who are apparently so disorganized they could attack both their princes and not get sent to jail, much less executed. Also interesting to see them dominate over the other species in this world.

I guess you could say their government was a Cat-astrophy.

(I apologize for nothing)

5. Lion-O and the Lizards: Sure, this was probably done to show kids not to be dicks to different races, but the way it was handled, including the fourth quarter outcome with the key, was very well done. I hope they stick with more grey moments like that in future episodes.

6. Wily Kit and Kat: are adorable

7. Clancy Brown. Just Clancy Brown.

Cons:

1. Snarf is more annoying: I never had any problems with the original Snarf as a dotting old caretaker. I don't see how turning him into Pikachu is a better alternative, though I suspect that was more to bring in the kids.

2. Restrained violence: Not that the show particularly needs it, but considering how it's got a PG rating and that they weren't shy about using terms like "death" and "kill", I would have preferred watching a couple of lizardmen get skewered by arrows, instead of repeating the same footage where they use their shields.

3. What reason did Lion-O have to not say "hey Dad, I saw this vision of Mumm-Ra on this sword that has been known to show visions. This might be a warning." ?

4. Panthro not played by Beau Billingslea. Come on, that would have been perfect.

5. Mumm-Ra not played by Earl Hammond (Edit: turns out he died. :( ).

6. On that note, Mumm-Ra's design, at least in mummy form, is a bit less intimidating than it was in the original. This might be intentional, but his hunched-over posture makes him look like a flunky over someone who can command an entire army of lizardmen.

7. Where's Monkian and Jackal-Man? I have no doubt they'll show up eventually, but I wonder if they'll also be leaders of jackals and apes, respectively?

8. How can technology be a "myth"? Maybe if they were more specific about what kind of technology was mythical, it would have made more sense.

9. The soundtrack: It's a step up from the usual generic background affair, but it's still purely background noise. Considering how Thundercats had such a distinct soundtrack with character themes and such, I was hoping since they went the extra mile for the animation that they would have taken the Anime approach to creating music separately from the series (instead of just composing as it's being shown on screen).

10. What exactly was the point of Cheetara hiding the fact that she was a Cleric?

11. Cheetara makes me...uncomfortable. Right about now there is going to be an eruption of erotic fan-art, and I'm willing myself not to check out any of it....

This will become further confounding once cosplayers get into the game. Sure, there will be some hot ones, but then there will be the kinds that make you want to stab out your eyes.

Also, was this ever intended at one point to take place in the same continuity as the original? Aside from a couple of things, they could have easily made Claudus an older Lion-O and set this in the future with his son as the new lead.

Did you guys notice Lynx-O?

Professor Snugglesworth on
    3. What reason did Lion-O have to not say "hey Dad, I saw this vision of Mumm-Ra on this sword that has been known to show visions. This might be a warning." ?
    Everybody already thinks he's crazy for believing in advance technology, and, let's be honest, he's kind of a flake.
    10. What exactly was the point of Cheetara hiding the fact that she was a Cleric?
    Nobody ever asked.

• Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    This was a lot better then I thought it would be. I always get a bad feeling when the powers that be remake my childhood. This time I thought this show was better then what kid me remembers. The only thing missing was Cheetara nippless boobs.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    edited July 2011
    Bagginses wrote:
    Everybody already thinks he's crazy for believing in advance technology, and, let's be honest, he's kind of a flake.
    Nobody ever asked.

But see, the sword wasn't considered "technology", and he was just going to relay a specific function that the sword has been known to do. Plus, it's not like they ever disputed the existence of Mumm-Ra, so unless they thought he was a retard or something, there was no reason for them not to believe him. They even leaned forward with concern when he said he saw something.

Also, did anyone else think Lion-O blasting Mumm-Ra with the eye was a shout-out to the intro? I don't think there was ever a moment in the original cartoon where Lion-O used the sword like Clyclops' beam.
    Toxic Toys wrote:
    This was a lot better then I thought it would be. I always get a bad feeling when the powers that be remake my childhood. This time I thought this show was better then what kid me remembers. The only thing missing was Cheetara nippless boobs.

Maybe they didn't show them because they have nipples now.

(stop it, dammit)

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    I am so happy :)

As someone who watched the original after grade school in 1986, I am more than ecstatic about this series.

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    I saw this last night with some young'uns (11-13 y/od, plus me at 18) and we all enjoyed it:

1. Gorgeous animation. Too nice actually. I can't believe the rest of the show will look like that, maybe this was just especially nice for the premiere. Oddly, they reused some 10 seconds worth of animation. I wonder why . . . they could have just animated a few other scenes less well andhave been crafty staging the key frames of the other scenes. You don't gotta animate Lion-O turning to look at something with the same level of detail as everything else guys!

2. Snarf is adorable. At first I thought he'd be a Momo rip-off but he has his own personality and it is super cute. The girls went crazy whenever he showed up, and my male cousin (13) couldn't help but laugh at some of Snarf's scenes and he's the type that doesn't want to look impressed by anything cute.

3. They cleaned up the sound editing since they released the teaser. Good! The only faults I have for the sound design are some of the voices used for nameless, passing characters. The core characters all had great VA-work.

4. The dialogue was pretty good minus a few odd bits of speech, some of which I think could have been remedied with better VAs (see above).

5. I like the variety the character design displays, a sliding scale of cat/human traits. Also, they drew claws on the hands. That was pretty awesome.

My uncle had grown up with Thundercats when he was young and was apathetic towards the reboot. Nostalgia goggles. But he calls me up today and asks, "Did you see the new Thundercats last night!?" and he was very impressed. And now my mom, who also grew up with the show, wants to catch a rerun.

They either re-used the animation to save money (a common enough procedure, and one I hope isn't used often in this expensive-looking show) or because they really did show some lizardmen getting skewered by arrows, which will be available in an Uncut DVD/BLU release. Hey, you never know.

I also liked how the cats actually roared during angry speeches; it's been done before, but it was rather subtle here.

• NovidNovid Registered User regular
    They either re-used the animation to save money (a common enough procedure, and one I hope isn't used often in this expensive-looking show) or because they really did show some lizardmen getting skewered by arrows, which will be available in an Uncut DVD/BLU release. Hey, you never know.

I also liked how the cats actually roared during angry speeches; it's been done before, but it was rather subtle here.

Japan has been doing "retouchings" for their animated series for years now so you can expect some upgrades in any future DVD/Blu release

I saw this last night with some young'uns (11-13 y/od, plus me at 18) and we all enjoyed it:

1. Gorgeous animation. Too nice actually. I can't believe the rest of the show will look like that, maybe this was just especially nice for the premiere. Oddly, they reused some 10 seconds worth of animation. I wonder why . . . they could have just animated a few other scenes less well andhave been crafty staging the key frames of the other scenes. You don't gotta animate Lion-O turning to look at something with the same level of detail as everything else guys!

2. Snarf is adorable. At first I thought he'd be a Momo rip-off but he has his own personality and it is super cute. The girls went crazy whenever he showed up, and my male cousin (13) couldn't help but laugh at some of Snarf's scenes and he's the type that doesn't want to look impressed by anything cute.

3. They cleaned up the sound editing since they released the teaser. Good! The only faults I have for the sound design are some of the voices used for nameless, passing characters. The core characters all had great VA-work.

4. The dialogue was pretty good minus a few odd bits of speech, some of which I think could have been remedied with better VAs (see above).

5. I like the variety the character design displays, a sliding scale of cat/human traits. Also, they drew claws on the hands. That was pretty awesome.

My uncle had grown up with Thundercats when he was young and was apathetic towards the reboot. Nostalgia goggles. But he calls me up today and asks, "Did you see the new Thundercats last night!?" and he was very impressed. And now my mom, who also grew up with the show, wants to catch a rerun.

We did the impossible folks. We actually made a damn good family entertainment show. Disney got to learn (But then The Cats will be up against Phinas and Ferb next week)

• jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    Is there anywhere I can watch the episodes on line? I greatly want to watch,but got rid of our DVR.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    The viewing party was as followed:

me (female, 18)
    cousin (male, 13)
    cousin (female, 11)
    sister (female, 12)
    uncle (30+)

We all loved Snarf.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Muse quit making me feel old.

I'll probably catch this when I go over my buddies house tomorrow. I am very happy it's being well recieved.

I am not happy Bandai is making the toys. Because they have such an insane quality swerve that it's not funny. Also they barely ever make villians.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Missed this

might catch a rerun since Muse digs it. I trust her judgement.

• ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    jeddy lee wrote:
    Is there anywhere I can watch the episodes on line? I greatly want to watch,but got rid of our DVR.

I'm hoping they stream it on cartoonnetwork.com. They have a Thrundercats video section and imply online episodes, but nothing yet.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    snarf.png

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    In the old show it boggled me that Snarf had an entire civilization to return to but he decided to stay and do almost nothing .

The worst part is the Snarfs seemed more advanced than the thundercats

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote:
    snarf.png

Is it me, or was that one of the funnier scenes? That and Snarf getting woken by the sounding horn.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Ehh, I dunno, I guess I didn't feel it as much as other people did. I mean it was pretty good, but it's like there was this weird thin layer of campiness covering the whole thing that made it feel weird. I dunno how else to describe it. I think maybe it was the dialog, especially the King's. I know he was the old Lion-o's VA, but was his dialog also supposed to be a throwback too? It just had this weird 80's feel to it, especially with him calling everybody by name, multiple times.

Honestly though, I'm clearly not in the demographic, so I really don't have any right to complain. Were I 15 years younger, I'd probably be foaming at the mouth. Right now though, while I could totally see myself watching this if there was nothing else on at the time and enjoying myself, I can't say I have the desire to actively hunt down and watch it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I totally missed this and forgot to put it on DVR...looks like there's no reruns which sucks.

I kind of wish Snarf had scaled up to his old size, simply because I feel like something closer to the size of a dog would have fit the characters better. Plus, we could have gotten a shot of him jumping followed by the scream "oh god, my face" instead of the ridiculous way he tripped that guy.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm looking forward to when this shows up on the CN site, but man, I will always miss classic Snarf.

So I had a friend who was really torqued off because they made his beloved Thundercats "Anime"...

I had to remind him that the original was animated by Topcraft and Toei, and was directed by Katsuhito Akiyama who also directed the Bubblegum Crisis remake.

Fun fact: Topcraft/Toei also made the original "Nausicaä and the Vally of the Wind." After the massive success of that movie, the animators went on to form Studio Ghibli.

In the U.S. Cartoons such as Thundercats, Silverhawks, and Transformers were pretty much banned to syndication because it became illegal to advertise toys of a show during the show, the only method of revenue for making these cartoons. Even Nintendo got slammed for showing a Gameboy ad during a run of Pokemon. (There is no such law in Japan, and a lot of American Anime fans have no idea how merchandise driven many of their shows are! Sailor Moon probably being the *worst* offender)

Anywho, I'm ranting now... Seeing Japanese/American anime again brings hardcore nostalgia tear to my eye. I only hope they can continue to afford it.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    What? Why in the hell would you ban commercials for toys during the show? That is absolutely mind-boggling.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Opty wrote:
    I totally missed this and forgot to put it on DVR...looks like there's no reruns which sucks.

If you're on basically anything but Time Warner Cable/RR (which is bizarre, since CN is owned by Time Warner...) you can stream it here.

If you ARE in a TWC monopoly zone, it's on Kids On Demand.

And man, was this ever fanservicey. In an awesome way. They even kept the Sword of Omens sound.
    "Ancient spirits of evil! Transform this decaying form into Mumm-Ra, the ev-OW SUNLIGHT OW"

edited July 2011
    InkSplat wrote:
    What? Why in the hell would you ban commercials for toys during the show? That is absolutely mind-boggling.

In the late 80s there was a movement that companies were "exploiting children for profits" and the children's television act of 1990 put the smack-down on that. That's why Saturday-morning cartoons died. you can read more about the act here, or more specifically, the part about Programming for Profit.

The idea is kids are dumb and can't tell the difference between programming and a commercial. They were also supposed to make 10 minutes out of every hour of children's programming "educational". That's why we have those 5 minute "and knowing is half the battle" bullshit at the end of kids cartoons on broadcast TV in the U.S. It's so the networks can hit their "educational" quota.

Sadly, most network affiliates insert their own commercials and can't guarantee that a random toy commercial would show up during broadcast of the actual show, so it became a big pain in the ass all around. They stopped picking up massive toy ads in bulk, the animation studios lost money, and with no revenue stream, the cartoons became ghetto version of their former selves.

It wasn't all bad though, the killing after-school cartoons and Saturday morning sugar-stuffs, it paved the way for Anime to enter the country in the early 90's. It's actually kind of funny. In an attempt to curb children's programming, we just wound up import *more* violent and market-driven stuff from overseas. The direct-to-video stuff flew right under the FCC's nose and here we are today.

halkun on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    It was real interesting to see the Cat race as smug bastards who are apparently so disorganized they could attack both their princes and not get sent to jail, much less executed. Also interesting to see them dominate over the other species in this world.

That scene definitely caused me to raise an eyebrow. The thieves at the very beginning of the show ran away once they found out they were attacking their prince. The random mob, though, had absolutely no reservations about attacking both their princes.

Also, what was that lone dog man doing in a city that seemed to be populated entirely by cat people?

BTW, Halkun, talking about anime in any way outside of a mod-approved thread is an offense on Penny Arcade (you can thank the ridiculous objectification of women in some anime series for that). Just a heads-up.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    The citizens were all drunk from the party. They didn't care, they were drunk cats!
    Also,this was really really good and I am looking forward to following it.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote:
    BTW, Halkun, talking about anime in any way outside of a mod-approved thread is an offense on Penny Arcade (you can thank the ridiculous objectification of women in some anime series for that). Just a heads-up.
    I'm pretty sure in this context I was talking about the history the the Thundercats franchise, which was interesting and added to the discussion.

Dropping that and moving foreword; Does anyone know how WB and Studio 4°C fit together in this? Is it a joint venture? This looks awfully expensive to produce. Also, it seems that the show is already slated for a second season. That was fast!

halkun on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote:

Um.. no it isn't. You can't have an Anime thread, but you can still talk about it if it is relevant. At least it isn't in the rules thread that I can see.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    edited July 2011
    Holy crap, just found out some new trivia about the new Thundercats...
    Remember when I said the original 1986 Thundercats Animation studios were Topcraft/Toei and they went on to become Studio Ghibli?
    Well, it gets better. Eiko Tanaka, the line producer from Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro is the current president of Studio 4°C
    How's that for coming around full circle?

It appears that she was also the producer for Animatrix, Batman: Gotham Knight, and Halo Legends. Wow, thats neat!

halkun on
    InkSplat wrote:
    Um.. no it isn't. You can't have an Anime thread, but you can still talk about it if it is relevant. At least it isn't in the rules thread that I can see.

This might have been a one time thing, but someone on the film thread suggested the anime series "Monster" when discussing the horror genre without going into any detail and got an infraction.

In any case, let's get back to Thundercats. How many people saw the original show (and still remember much of it)? I remember watching the original show, but I couldn't tell you any specifics. I especially don't remember the one-toothed smilodon guy.

edited July 2011
    Goddamn it, I keep forgetting that the place where the edit button was once is now the quote button.

Hexmage-PA on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    halkun wrote:
    So I had a friend who was really torqued off because they made his beloved Thundercats "Anime"...

I had to remind him that the original was animated by Topcraft and Toei, and was directed by Katsuhito Akiyama who also directed the Bubblegum Crisis remake.

Fun fact: Topcraft/Toei also made the original "Nausicaä and the Vally of the Wind." After the massive success of that movie, the animators went on to form Studio Ghibli.

In the U.S. Cartoons such as Thundercats, Silverhawks, and Transformers were pretty much banned to syndication because it became illegal to advertise toys of a show during the show, the only method of revenue for making these cartoons. Even Nintendo got slammed for showing a Gameboy ad during a run of Pokemon. (There is no such law in Japan, and a lot of American Anime fans have no idea how merchandise driven many of their shows are! Sailor Moon probably being the *worst* offender)

Anywho, I'm ranting now... Seeing Japanese/American anime again brings hardcore nostalgia tear to my eye. I only hope they can continue to afford it.

Speaking of BGC and Thundercats, the first episode has a bit where You can see Panthro pop up on a video screen in town

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    I can't decide if they pulled a Zelda or not(same names, 'new' characters)

Still, I enjoyed it. Missed the first few minutes of it.... Any chance they retained the theme song? Yeah... Probably not right?

Hexmage-PA wrote:
    InkSplat wrote:

This might have been a one time thing, but someone on the film thread suggested the anime series "Monster" when discussing the horror genre without going into any detail and got an infraction.

In any case, let's get back to Thundercats. How many people saw the original show (and still remember much of it)? I remember watching the original show, but I couldn't tell you any specifics. I especially don't remember the one-toothed smilodon guy.

cuZyN.jpg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    noir_blood wrote:
    I can't decide if they pulled a Zelda or not(same names, 'new' characters)

Still, I enjoyed it. Missed the first few minutes of it.... Any chance they retained the theme song? Yeah... Probably not right?

No idea on openings right now. The premiere did a cold open straight into the episode

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    halkun wrote:
    Holy crap, just found out some new trivia about the new Thundercats...
    Remember when I said the original 1986 Thundercats Animation studios were Topcraft/Toei and they went on to become Studio Ghibli?
    Well, it gets better. Eiko Tanaka, the line producer from Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro is the current president of Studio 4°C
    How's that for coming around full circle?

It appears that she was also the producer for Animatrix, Batman: Gotham Knight, and Halo Legends. Wow, thats neat!

Nice thanks for that info.