As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oblivion! (NSF56k)

ThandorThandor __BANNED USERS regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Lets go with oblivion!

oblivion4.jpg

So after getting about 80% through the main quest and about 80% through all of the side-story arcs, my love for the game fizzled.

Now, with the relase of
Knights of the Nine!
knights_of_the_nine_1.jpg

AND

Shivering Isles!
110588-1.jpg

Playing shall commence!

So what are the essential mods that I should download? I remember when I was playing there was something about open cities and unarmed combat enhancement. Lend me your knowledge.

Thandor on

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    this game is really good

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Really fantastic.
    I'm playing alot of it right now on my 360.

The scaled leveling is irritating, in that I had to build my character so he'd level up super slowly... making sure I got high stat increases, but it's kickass besides that.

I wish they'd struck the balancing better so that it didn't become unplayably hard if you made a straightforward character build who's main skills are actually his main skills, but it's my favorite 360 game.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I never really understood the leveling system until I was, like, level 35. So I missed out the stat bonuses and whatnot.

But anyway, this game simply a masterpiece. I started off really disliking it. It was my first 360 game, and it just didn't click with me. Then, months later, I just had an urge to play Oblivion, and it payed off very well. Once you understand the game world/mechanics, it's just an unbelievable blast to play.

Graviija on
  • Options
    boavspythonboavspython Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i've just bought the original for my 360 and it's amazing and everything but i keep running out of lock picks. any help?

boavspython on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i've just bought the original for my 360 and it's amazing and everything but i keep running out of lock picks. any help?
    I suggest immediately running to Nocturnal's Shrine, northeast of Leyawin, and completing that quest. You'll be happy.

Graviija on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Do Nocturnal's quest. She's the Daedric Goddess who gives you an item that makes lock picking a LOT easier.

*edit: in case your sneak skill is really low, I suggest you find yourself an invisibility potion or spell.

--

I have a question regarding Braided armour. When I try to put it on, a message appears that I have to prove my worth to The Storyteller in some Ayleid ruins.

I can't find those ruins.

Aldo on
  • Options
    JohnBelushiJohnBelushi Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

You should probaly join the thieves guild, so you can buy lots of lockpicks. But if you choose to cheat, there is a duplication cheat

JohnBelushi on
    jbsig.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am playing as a Pilgrim

this is correct if I want to do hand to hand and speechcraft and mercantile and such, correct

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I am playing as a Pilgrim

this is correct if I want to do hand to hand and speechcraft and mercantile and such, correct
    ^^^ Is going to get killed by a Young Wolf.^^^

At least pick sneaking with that.

Aldo on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

The lock-picking is really stupid/broken (just like the game itself). Just keep pushing a pin up until it goes up slowly, then click (or press whatever button it is on the 360). I'm pretty sure you can pick every lock in the game without breaking a single lockpick. Even with a security skill of -9999999.

Tzen on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tzen wrote: »

The lock-picking is really stupid/broken (just like the game itself). Just keep pushing a pin up until it goes up slowly, then click (or press whatever button it is on the 360). I'm pretty sure you can pick every lock in the game without breaking a single lockpick. Even with a security skill of -9999999.

If it has to do with Bethesda or Oblivion you can count on Tzen to appear and somehow while staying on topic troll.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Or you get The Skeleton Key and stop caring about that whole minigame.

Aldo on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Aldo wrote: »

Or you can never care about The Skeleton Key because every worthless lockpick you loot off of a wolf or troll is essentially a Skeleton Key that can open any lock in about 10 seconds anyway?

Seriously, though. If you're having trouble picking locks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KePbEmtCXg
    Just keep bumping a tumbler up until it goes up slowly. It's really simple once you pay attention to it.

Tzen on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Or you can never care about The Skeleton Key because every worthless lockpick you loot off of a wolf or troll is essentially a Skeleton Key that can open any lock in about 10 seconds anyway?
    Not really, no.

Those Very Hard locks can be terribly annoying. Especially if you're not such a god among men as you appear to be.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just listen to the tumblers, they make a different noise when it's okay to lock them in place.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't know why, but I think one of the official mods or patches increased the chance of lockpicks appearing on loot.
    I started a new character the other day, and found 15 lockpicks in the starting dungeon. That's a lot more than before, IIRC.

Anyway, I'm 155hrs into the game, and I didn't even start the main quest, after talking to Jauffre.

I have several mods running, but nothing that changes the game too much, like OOO and that stuff. I may use that on a new playthrough.

Here's a list. I also like the Elven maps and the short grass.

modsfl7.jpg

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    somebody was roleplaying Batman in this game

I was thinking of doing the same with Thor

you can enchant a warhammer with lightning damage I assume

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

i know you can make your character look like a huge douchebag

so thor is possible

Renzo on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

neeeeeeeeerd

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Wren wrote: »

neeeeeeeeerd

merely posting on this forum renders that accusation meaningless

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Since this is the oblivion thread, I'd like to buy it for the 360 but I can't really afford 60$ right now. Anybody know where I can get a copy a bit cheaper? Checked on E-bay to no avail.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is there a beard mod?

That's one thing that freaks me out about this game. No beards. Beardless Nords.

august on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    august wrote: »
    Is there a beard mod?

That's one thing that freaks me out about this game. No beards. Beardless Nords.

that is a bit retarded

they have a slider for beard coloring, and no beards

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited June 2007
    well they have a muddy brown smear effect which is supposed to be a beard

bongi on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is there a beard mod?

that is a bit retarded

It makes the face look dirty. Like if you squint and tilt your head, you might imagine a beard.

Renzo on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Beardless Nords.

It's just not right.

august on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Aldo wrote: »

Seriously, though. If you're having trouble picking locks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KePbEmtCXg
    Just keep bumping a tumbler up until it goes up slowly. It's really simple once you pay attention to it.

The noise it makes is actually a lot more important.
    it makes a double "tch-tink", when it's the best time to click.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited June 2007
    The best thing about the skeleton key is that when you're fed up of the lockpicking minigame you can just sit there hitting auto-attempt over and over until it opens.

bongi on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    The best thing about the skeleton key is that when you're fed up of the lockpicking minigame you can just sit there hitting auto-attempt over and over until it opens.
    That's what I do, picked enough locks to even care about whatever sound it makes.

Aldo on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I wish there were a demo for this game. It looks pretty cool but man I just dunno...

Damn I wish we could get a new Might and Magic game that didn't suck like IX did. If someone redid World of Xeen with Oblivion graphics.

oh god....

/sigh.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I still need to complete my playthrough as Ronald McDonald.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »
    I wish there were a demo for this game. It looks pretty cool but man I just dunno...

Damn I wish we could get a new Might and Magic game that didn't suck like IX did. If someone redid World of Xeen with Oblivion graphics.

oh god....

/sigh.
    Yah, they could've released a demo with only the character designer and the starting dungeon.

Aldo on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Someone need to mod in a working jump spell and spears. I feel the need to remake my old Dragoon character from Morrowind and deal some well needed death from above on my enemies.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    this game is really good

This seems to conflict with your statements about Oblivion made in the Fallout 3 thread.

And on topic, how does the expansion for Oblivion connect in with files you made already? Do you have to be at a certain point in the story to go to said Isles?

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    Ondrae OciousOndrae Ocious Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    http://aelius28.googlepages.com/home

This is a well maintained list of select mods.
    Go nuts. Remember to slowly add the complex ones though. Make sure to load a mod, test it out a little first, before adding another. You'll be thankful you did instead of crashing all the time.

Ondrae Ocious on
    Life is a ____, depending on how you dress her.
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Quick question, if I'm using only Heavy Armour will my movement speed increase as my Heavy Armour skill increases? My new character is currently at skill level 25 and he's pretty slow compared to my old Light Armour characters, which seems pretty logical to me.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Quick question, if I'm using only Heavy Armour will my movement speed increase as my Heavy Armour skill increases? My new character is currently at skill level 25 and he's pretty slow compared to my old Light Armour characters, which seems pretty logical to me.
    Not gradually iirc. After you reach (I think) Journeyman you won't be encumbered by it and you'll be really fast.

Aldo on
  • Options
    MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't have Xbox live (I have the 360 Version)

Does anyone know any other way for me to get the expansions?

MotherFirefly on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is there a beard mod?

that is a bit retarded

One of the mods I was using had bearded nords as a race.

Also, re:Skeleton Key, I tend to get it and then stash it away so I don't feel like I'm cheating.
    Silpheed wrote: »

Yes, I think you speed up as your Heavy Armor skill increases.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't have Xbox live (I have the 360 Version)

Does anyone know any other way for me to get the expansions?

Do you not have broadband or a way to get you Xbox on it? B/c a silver account is free. So if you have broadband you could always hook up 360 to it just to get the patches and the expansion.

Otherwise I think there is no other way on the 360 version. :|

SpikedFreak on