As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The best free anti-virus software?

Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I have windows 7, if it makes a difference. Preferably something that isn't a resource hog, my laptop needs all the power it has.

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
Indica1 on

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Check out this post in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern on these forums:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/108166/shields-up-computer-security-thread

TetraNitroCubane keeps the top post reasonably up to date.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    If you're a tl;dr kind of person though, Microsoft Security Essentials

• Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    thanks.

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I like to also run Malwarebytes along with MSE. It's not an all-the-time protection thing... you just have it run a scan once a week or something... it tends to be able to root out something if your regular anti-virus can't.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I would never tl;dr when it comes to your computer's security, but I guess you have to live through some bad computer problems before security becomes a good habit. *shrugs*

Personally, I run Malwarebytes, a passive background virus scanner, an active scanner on weekends, and NoScript on my browser, along with some of the other suggestions TetraNitroCubane has in his post. I also back up my data regularly (about once every 2 weeks)... this has saved my butt more times than I can count.

8i1dt37buh2m.png