As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mawaru Penguindrum: Penguin anime of a generation

FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Like penguins, destiny always marches forward.

March.jpg

This is a show about a family, their struggles, their triumphs, and their penguins.

If for whatever reason that does not immediately interest you, it is also directed/written by Kunihiko Ikuhara, who is famed for his involvement with Sailor Moon and Revolutionary Girl Utena. In only a few episodes, Ikuhara has already cast off his thematic shackles of magical girls, cars, and fencing for new and thrilling motifs such as magical ladies, trains, and tactical espionage action. And penguins : D Um, it's animated by Brain's Base, that does a lot of good things like Baccano, Spice and Wolf 2, and Shin Getter Robo stuff.

Okay, so the series focuses on the Takakura family. They inherit penguins and the brothers must embark on a quest to find the fabled penguindrum.. That's really the plot! There is not much more that can be said because even from the first episode things go crazy. I think it is a good crazy though so I made this thread because it is super exciting and entertaining and worthy of discussion.

The show has characters too!
Himari.jpg Himari Takakura: She's the youngest member of the family and her brothers dote on her it's adorable. She owes a great debt to a penguin hat.

Shouma.jpg Shouma Takakura: He is good at cooking and cleaning and taking orders.

Kanba.jpg Kanba Takakura: He is the action taker and order giver. Roguish charm is aided by possible unscrupulousness. Roguish charm not actually necessary to woo ladies since I mean, rose backdrop.

Ringo.jpg Ringo Oginome: Mostly just appears to be a typical high school girl who loves shopping and food and boys. But she has a tendency to get carried away with bizarre fantasies, which leads to all manners of antics and adventure.

thisguy.jpg Keiju Tabuki: Kanba and Shouma's teacher. He is a lame guy with glasses but he is in the opening sequence and has lines whatever : (

rich2-1.jpg Yuri Tokikago: She is blonde which means she has lots of money and is super popular. Wears inferior hats.

rich22.jpg Masako Natsume: The reserved rich lady to Yuri's extravagant rich lady. She enjoys knitting, baking, and keeping pets. Can put on an innocent face while still getting what she wants.

Penguinlady.jpg

Penguin lady: She is a lady made of penguins.

penguiiiiiiiiiins.jpg

Penguins : 3

FAQ
Q: How many episodes is this supposed to be?
A: 24.jpg

Q: What is happening?
A:what.jpg

Q: What is the survival strategy?
A: what.jpg

Q:What is the penguindrum?

Q: Who is your favorite penguin?

Airs on Thursdays! Spin! Penguin! Drum! Talk : D (All words that can act as either nouns or verbs)

Frosteey on

• FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    Episode 3 FAQ
    Q: Why did they take off their shoes to break into a house?

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    The sheer number of emotions the first episode of this evoked was pretty ridiculous.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Frosteey: May wanna also mention there's some thematic connection to Night on the Galactic Railroad, or at least that's what I've heard?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    also, haven't watched yet but I'm wondering at what point it's going to just go Apocalypse of Adolescence levels of surreal.

I'm talking Floating Chalkboards and School architecture that shouts "Where we're going, we don't need Euclidean Geometry"

And, you know, people being turned into cars by giant carwashes.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Yeah that sounds about right Lanz, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some connection there.
    I am very much expecting some crazy shenanigans to go on with the subway system, too.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    episode 1
    so i heard that they're homeless? can someone explain that? does it have to do with the home they live in?

jCyyTSo.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I was hoping that a penguindrum was going to be some funky hipsterworldmusicfusion musical instrument. :(

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited July 2011
    It's possible it still could be. We'll have to wait and see. :P

Pika:
    Where'd you hear that? I'm pretty sure that's just their house, those I suppose it is in a weird location, maybe they sort of had to build it up themselves.

Anzekay on
    Lanz wrote:
    Frosteey: May wanna also mention there's some thematic connection to Night on the Galactic Railroad, or at least that's what I've heard?

Is this like a really super important thing, I am uncultured and had no idea what it is and still only barely know what it is and only know that because I needed to make sure it wasn't a reference to the terrible Campanella anime : (

Also watch it!

• JouleJoule Registered User regular
    Frosteey, the show is slated for 24 episodes. Also penguin #2 is obviously the best.

edited July 2011
    Okay I fixed the thing : D

Also that particular answer could be considered a double entendre or whatever the equivalent is for penguin pictures!

Frosteey on
    watched episode 3 and still don'[t know what to think of this show yet.

but it could be about anything, those cute penguins will keep me watching the show

jCyyTSo.png
    edited July 2011
    ugh wrong thread

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    So I was looking for something to celebrate penguinday and apparently penguinlady does an actual Sailor Moon pose. Huh : D

Do not know how to feel about episode 4 : (
    Skunks and misinterpreted destinies and everything just felt plain and predictable, like the CPR thing just uggggggggh : ( Do not think Ringo should get this much focus especially if it's regular romantic crazy Ringo instead of stalker destiny insane Ringo.

At least the end sets up hope for that I guess.

Penguins were their usual good selves though. 2 is clearly the best penguin. Also Shouma in cute outfits.

Kanba things were fine and the ending would be good but it's hard to overlook the rest of the episode to be excited about it.

• SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    Episode 4
    I had a feeling we'd eventually get to seeing different interpretations of the journal. I was hoping that having one of the penguins being directly involved with what was going on with Ringo would change fate and thus prevent or alter some of the events in her journal or something along those lines, but alas.

I definitely agree that Ringo's more interesting when she's being a creepy stalker instead of acting like she's in a romantic-comedy flick. Here's hoping the next episode finishes this current arc, although seeing more of what Kanba has gotten himself into would also be acceptable.

This episode sorta reminded me of the sillier episodes of Utena, though since Penguin Drum is a shorter show I am a little concerned about a (mostly) silly episode being front-loaded like this. I'm fairly confident about my worries being put to rest in the future though.

The visuals in this really felt like they were a notch above the previous episodes. The background of the kitchen really stuck out in my mind since it used a large variety of colors. It was pretty neat! And of course there was the segments where
    Ringo's imagination was running wild, which was done rather well visually although I gotta admit I found the singing to be rather awkward to watch after the first few times (perhaps that was the point?)

Episode 4
    I think stalker Ringo is only more interesting because it's just crazy stuff rather than crazy romantic stuff. That said, I think this episode was pretty important in regards to that... Diary thing. I had been wondering about this basically the whole way through the episode; that the diary isn't actually talking about the teacher guy at all. It, of course, makes it seem obvious that it's instead talking about Sho. But I feel there's something missing from that interpretation, and that is most likely intentional. They're just setting out to fuck with our minds from the get-go.

Red heels has got to be the girl with the gun in the OP. No doubt about it.

Still trying to work out if the Penguin logo turning up everywhere is something significant or if they're just slipping it in as a motif to, again, fuck with us.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    This show is.....not what I was expecting. I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Episode 4:
    WTF THE RED HEELS?

Also lack of transformation and SURVIVAL STRATEGY was lackluster.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    I am actually pretty glad they did not use the survival strategy and transformation thing in this one. The previous uses have been to explain the possessing entities objectives and convince the brothers to act in accordance with them.

They are already doing what they can and are clearly making progress. Until they acquire the "penguin drum" there is really no need to include it for the plot, unless to portray the entity as unreasonable or foolish which it so far has not been (just alien).

It is promising that they are putting in the time to create a story for these characters and not using a time filler to just condition their audience when it might be inappropriate. Yes it is important but at least half those scenes are just repetitive filler.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    I haven't seen past episode one but damn I am convinced I will be following this story

Anzekay wrote:
    Episode 4
    I think stalker Ringo is only more interesting because it's just crazy stuff rather than crazy romantic stuff. That said, I think this episode was pretty important in regards to that... Diary thing. I had been wondering about this basically the whole way through the episode; that the diary isn't actually talking about the teacher guy at all. It, of course, makes it seem obvious that it's instead talking about Sho. But I feel there's something missing from that interpretation, and that is most likely intentional. They're just setting out to fuck with our minds from the get-go.

Still trying to work out if the Penguin logo turning up everywhere is something significant or if they're just slipping it in as a motif to, again, fuck with us.
    For me the problem with episode 4 Ringo isn't that there's all the romantic comedy stuff, but just that it was predictable and generic and not super amusing like her other antics. It's like...this is like an episode of School Rumble where we've already established that Harima is awesome and going to be the main focus of things, but we're going to spend twenty minutes on boring boring Tenma antics instead : (

I mean, if they did it again for whatever and just executed it better, I wouldn't mind as much, but I think crazy stalker Ringo holds more promise to be executed well and interestingly and amusingly.

Also I thought the lady on the phone with red heels girl was gun lady or did I just miss something completely? Is there some reason she'd be referred to that instead of or in addition to unfortunate escalator lady?

Is there actually some importance to the red heels besides just as an identifying characteristic for a to-be-shoved person : (

Frosteey wrote:
    Anzekay wrote:
    Episode 4

For me the problem with episode 4 Ringo isn't that there's all the romantic comedy stuff, but just that it was predictable and generic and not super amusing like her other antics. It's like...this is like an episode of School Rumble where we've already established that Harima is awesome and going to be the main focus of things, but we're going to spend twenty minutes on boring boring Tenma antics instead : (

I mean, if they did it again for whatever and just executed it better, I wouldn't mind as much, but I think crazy stalker Ringo holds more promise to be executed well and interestingly and amusingly.

Also I thought the lady on the phone with red heels girl was gun lady or did I just miss something completely? Is there some reason she'd be referred to that instead of or in addition to unfortunate escalator lady?

Is there actually some importance to the red heels besides just as an identifying characteristic for a to-be-shoved person : (
    Colour identification. Chances are red heels person will be gun lady I think, since gun lady wears red.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Welcome, to Rock N' Roll night.

Welcome, to Rock N' Roll fight.

I'm just a Rock N' Roll man,

We're just a Rock N' Roll band!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Ep4. I did not expect to watch a musical.
    Not that I'm complaining at all.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Fabulous Max!

Every episode I watch I expect to drop this, but something keeps me watching. Weird.

• JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Episode 5: A really good episode.
    The pacing was quite a turn around from last week's predictable linear route. It took a slight turn to the more serious but was still packed with light hearted maybe penguin related moments. We also took a slight look into the Takakura family's past. Their dad was a real awesome dude voiced by Koyasu no less. The survival strategy sequence also took me by surprise. It ain't just stock footage. There was a lot of great animation this time around.

I wonder what the whole GUNSLINGSHOT deal is about but Horie is doing up that rich girl voice real good.

Ringo is now the best.

Joule on
    edited August 2011
    Episode 5 is basically the reason I'm watching this show so closely, but distilled and injected right into the vein.
    So shit's getting real now. Kanba is doing stuff on the sly to make cash to keep their house, Ringo is getting crushed but it's not just a case of an obsessed girl but rather a mixture of that and a fatalistic resolution based on that diary.... Thing.

The survival stategy sequence really was very very slick and well done. I'm loving the art in this show- both the actual quality and the style itself.

And of course the show can go as serious as it wants to, because as long as the penguins are around there's something to laugh at.

EDIT:
    Oh yeah, theory here: the signs on the train this episode warned against the dangers of borrowing money, and the signs often tie into the episode's events in some way. Is Kanba just borrowing cash to pay for the house? Is he getting mixed up in some unsavoury people now? :3

Anzekay on
    Anzekay wrote:
    Episode 5 is basically the reason I'm watching this show so closely, but distilled and injected right into the vein.
    So shit's getting real now. Kanba is doing stuff on the sly to make cash to keep their house, Ringo is getting crushed but it's not just a case of an obsessed girl but rather a mixture of that and a fatalistic resolution based on that diary.... Thing.

The survival stategy sequence really was very very slick and well done. I'm loving the art in this show- both the actual quality and the style itself.

And of course the show can go as serious as it wants to, because as long as the penguins are around there's something to laugh at.

EDIT:
    Oh yeah, theory here: the signs on the train this episode warned against the dangers of borrowing money, and the signs often tie into the episode's events in some way. Is Kanba just borrowing cash to pay for the house? Is he getting mixed up in some unsavoury people now? :3

I bet Kanba is the creditor and was just collecting. Rich gun lady's force is trying to topple him because of his misdeeds against them. Missing Takakura parents are tied into this pseudo-mafia ordeal.

Mob boss Kanba woo : D

Anyway the episode more than made up for 4 for me. Just the way it always sets up expectations and falsely meets them before veering off in a wild direction is so great. Doctor with evil glinting glasses? Not just an old guy but a man working for a hospital connected to this penguindrum conspiracy (but is secretly still just an old man). Another comical penguin effort destined to end in comical failure? Utilize the power of penguin magnetism to rescue hats.

edited August 2011
    Joule wrote:
    Episode 5: A really good episode.
    The pacing was quite a turn around from last week's predictable linear route. It took a slight turn to the more serious but was still packed with light hearted maybe penguin related moments. We also took a slight look into the Takakura family's past. Their dad was a real awesome dude voiced by Koyasu no less. The survival strategy sequence also took me by surprise. It ain't just stock footage. There was a lot of great animation this time around.

I wonder what the whole GUNSLINGSHOT deal is about but Horie is doing up that rich girl voice real good.

Ringo is now the best.

I honestly have liked the Survival Strategy sequence a lot whenever it's showed up. The actual intro is short, but interesting both visually and aurally. And the stuff after that is always pretty good.
    Brothers' carbon copy surprise animation on their second visit was funny, and now they have Ringo doing it, which is super terrific. Milk drinking was great and now we have Hat Theft '11.

Also shady rich people I can get behind : D Gun lady is so much better than Yuri lady.

Kanba and Shouma and penguins are the best : (

Frosteey on
    Okay I finally watched episode 6.
    This is like the best final 30 seconds of a show ever.

Also Penguin #4 is great.

• JintorJintor Registered User regular
    I love the use of stock sequences in this. Every tim the survival strategy is initiated I can't help but be filled with glee.

• SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Episode 7
    Really hoping that next week will wrap up Ringo's story arc since to be honest I am getting pretty tired of her by now. Or at the very least I'd like to see Kanba get some more screentime. Whatever he's up to looks a lot more interesting than Ringo's stalking at this point. Speaking of which, with the way this episode ended I am gonna call it right now and say that in the next episode Ringo will discover that Tabuki isn't home or some such since otherwise this week's Survival Strategy would have been for naught!

Also I just realized that the subway billboard slogan was "Know when to give up", and it was labelled slogan #7. Not even sure how I didn't notice this sort of stuff until now and it makes me want to take another look at some of the previous episodes.

On the bright side Penguin #2's antics in this episode were pretty amusing.

Slicer on
    +1 here of getting bored of Ringodrum.

Needs more Survival Strategy.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Ha Ha just finished watching episode 8, good going Shoma telling it like it is.
    Though to be honest crazy ringo delusional visions have kinda grown on me.

So.. was he hit because the diary was torn in half? And did his brother do it or was it that woman? Many good hooks to hang the end of this episode on.

Still no idea what is real or illusions, good series so far.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    Every episode that doesn't have SURVIVAL STRATEGY I just load up this instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEwD6mWZs8U

Then, after manually repeating it a few times, I load up this instead:

http://endlessvideo.com/watch?v=QEwD6mWZs8U

edited September 2011
    I just watched 7 and 8!
    I think continuation of Ringo stuff is okay enough. Like, other things might be more interesting but it's not quite dragging along. And there are so many fun little things that I think the show will always be entertaining regardless. Like Ringo doing labor breathing exercises with the frog, and putting her hand on Shouma's butt when she's doing it. And penguins eating sandwiches : >

Then episode 8 : ( Shouma : (

Frosteey on
    But yeah Kanba needs to take some initiative and take over an episode, by force if necessary.

Okay so I have not watched the new episode but this is like the best fanart of the show I have seen ever.
    wwKnl.jpg

Shouma is like the androgynous man or woman of my dreams.

Okay wait this may be the best.
    zcaWV.jpg

Episode 12
    Woooow : (

The part where Kanba grabs her hand and then the penguin and then the rabbits and pink hair : (

Second half of the series should be so exciting : (