As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stargate: The (Re)watch Thread - SG-1 Season Three

SimBenSimBen Hodor?Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Social Entropy++
13724434.jpg

Hi guys, recently I was hanging out in that Star Trek thread and the discussion veered towards Stargate at one point. This led me to looking up Gateworld for the first time in years and realizing they're organizing a rewatch of the whole franchise considering MGM recently took Stargate out in the backyard and put a slug in its brains. And it's starting like right now. I'm gonna watch along, so I'm making this thread so I don't have to go hang out on Gateworld's creepy forums to discuss it (seriously, that place is full of nothing but shippers and fanfiction writers). I suggest you join me so I'm not in here talking to myself!

Here's Gateworld's Rewatch central and schedule and stuff:
http://www.gateworld.net/news/stargate-rewatch/

Basically we're doing a season a month (which means we'll be done in December 2012). Also the original movie was supposed to be last week. I watched it. We can talk about it.

If you're like me, you're gonna watch an episode every weekday, starting tomorrow (August 1st). The entire franchise is on Netflix, or you could watch the DVDs if you have them. I do. Seriously, the first season of SG-1 was literally the first DVD I ever bought.

Since this is specifically a let's-watch-something type of thread with a schedule, we should put shit that happens after the point the rewatch is at between spoiler tags, because people who haven't watched it before shouldn't be spoiled. I hope some of those people show up and start watching. Half the fun in these things is seeing their reactions.

Also, new people: the series gets better than the movie is. I mean the movie isn't terrible, it's just average. It gets better on rewatches too, I found. Knowing all the backstory going in, it just seems a lot more meaningful to see how it all began. Also, it's not Kurt Russell and James Spader in the series, if you were wondering. O'Neill becomes an awesome character once he's recast.

So yeah. Do this shit!

sig.gif
SimBen on

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Somebody will point out that in the movie, knowing the first 6 symbols, all they had to do was dial the gate 39 times (assuming repeats are allowed) until they found the last symbol even if they couln't put together what it was from the cartouche, and that knowing that the symbols were constellations wasn't necessary in order to know how to dial the gate. That person would be correct, but that person would also be thinking way too hard about shit and missing the point. If you start thinking too hard about the Stargate there's a million questions that are raised that will never be answered, so just accept that they go to awesome planets and have kick-ass adventures.

sig.gif
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Also all the planets somehow look like British Columbia.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Stargate was a cool show up until season 9 and 10

They should have ended it when they beat the Goa'uld

Also they never should have made Atlantis.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Well the Ori arc was good too! It wasn't as good as, say, seasons 3-4-5, but it was still solid. By that point Atlantis was doing better things though.

sig.gif
    Hey Druhim Atlantis was awesome what are you talking about.

SGU is the one that sort of starts making you go eeehhhh.

sig.gif
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    Also they never should have made Atlantis.

SGU was much worse than Atlantis.

That doesn't make Atlantis good, just less bad.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Atlantis had a pretty bad first and last seasons, but the middle was creamy nougat.

sig.gif
  • DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote:
    Somebody will point out that in the movie, knowing the first 6 symbols, all they had to do was dial the gate 39 times (assuming repeats are allowed) until they found the last symbol even if they couln't put together what it was from the cartouche, and that knowing that the symbols were constellations wasn't necessary in order to know how to dial the gate. That person would be correct, but that person would also be thinking way too hard about shit and missing the point. If you start thinking too hard about the Stargate there's a million questions that are raised that will never be answered, so just accept that they go to awesome planets and have kick-ass adventures.

Questions like, how come an incoming wormhole often seems to encode each chevron at the same speed as someone dialing with a DHD? I mean, for that to happen, wouldn't the stargate being dialed out from already know which full address you are inputting as you are doing it?

Like how come
    Durkhanus wrote:
    SimBen wrote:

Questions like, how come an incoming wormhole often seems to encode each chevron at the same speed as someone dialing with a DHD? I mean, for that to happen, wouldn't the stargate being dialed out from already know which full address you are inputting as you are doing it?

Why does the gate always seem to disengage as soon as they've gone through it, why does every gate and DHD look the same even though the constellations would look completely different from their respective points of view, why does every gate seem to have Earth's point of origin on it despite it being established that each planet has its own, why doesn't the kawoosh disintegrate the iris, why do people slam into the iris if the iris blocks the wormhole from being engaged entirely (instead of the gates just shutting off), how does the gate know what a complete object is and therefore when to put stuff in the buffer and when to transmit (okay, so that much can be attributed to alien technology being beyond our comprehension), why is it possible to stick your head into the gate and then just stand there and walk forward when you feel like it even though by then your head is disintegrated and stored in the buffer as data...

Am I missing anything?

sig.gif
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    oh, hey, someone mention SGU?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwyIMzfzz8o

Atlantis should have been kept as a movie, as it was originally planned to be. I think it would have worked better that way.

The Ori plot wasn't...bad. I actually liked it, I just wish they'd had another season or two to work through it, and then ended it, or just end it before the Ori plot, and have "SGU" be about multiple factions (Tau'ri, Tokra, Jaffa, Lucians, Asgard, Tollan, etc) dealing with the impending Ori threat.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Yeah, that clip became almost immediately hilarious in hindsight. The writers make a joke, then the producers just ask them the next morning to sit down and make it happen.

sig.gif
    My god, young Mitchell and Teal'c look almost exactly like Scott and Grier.

sig.gif
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I like Stargate quite a bit!

BLM - ACAB
  • DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    [quote="SimBen"

Why does the gate always seem to disengage as soon as they've gone through it, why does every gate and DHD look the same even though the constellations would look completely different from their respective points of view, why does every gate seem to have Earth's point of origin on it despite it being established that each planet has its own, why doesn't the kawoosh disintegrate the iris, why do people slam into the iris if the iris blocks the wormhole from being engaged entirely (instead of the gates just shutting off), how does the gate know what a complete object is and therefore when to put stuff in the buffer and when to transmit (okay, so that much can be attributed to alien technology being beyond our comprehension), why is it possible to stick your head into the gate and then just stand there and walk forward when you feel like it even though by then your head is disintegrated and stored in the buffer as data...

Am I missing anything?[/quote]

They have explained a few of these things in the show.

Every gate and DHD looks the same (talking about the milky way galaxy here) because the Ancients who built them used Earth as their starting point. Of course, I know this explanation doesn't really take into account that the constellations would have changed somewhat since the time the gates were built.

The woosh doesn't disintegrate the irisi, as the iris is set very close to the event horizon of the wormhole, preventing the woosh from being able to form.
    The Iris does not block the wormhole from being engaged entirely. Objects trying to materialize are instead disintegrated as they cannot reform.

Okay but do you know what makes Cinnamon Toast Crunch so tasty?

sig.gif
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Jack's young clone was the best

And Teal'c dual wielding staff weapons

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    Oh fuck yes. Let's do this thing.

I was watching the Conan trailer going "Hey, this dude looks a lot like Ronan". Then I went "Oh, hey, I'm dumb." He's on Game of Thrones, too? Good for him.

I was always intrigued by the non-humanoid aliens in Stargate. Off the top of my head, there's
    that armadillo thing they eat in the movie, the Aratis bugs, the giant space whale, and that t-rex thing that we never see.

"That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
    Oh fuck yes. Let's do this thing.

I was watching the Conan trailer going "Hey, this dude looks a lot like Ronan". Then I went "Oh, hey, I'm dumb." He's on Game of Thrones, too? Good for him.

I was always intrigued by the non-humanoid aliens in Stargate. Off the top of my head, there's
    that armadillo thing they eat in the movie, the Aratis bugs, the giant space whale, and that t-rex thing that we never see.

GIIIANT ALIEEENS

(okay they were humanoid too)

Don't forget
    the Re'tu.

Also those bugs from Bane and those beasts in the movie.

And the Goa'uld, technically.

sig.gif
    Also that sand intelligence thing from SGU.

And the Replicators. At least for a while.

sig.gif
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

I think that's what they originally planned/expected to end on, but then they got a few more seasons...

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    End wrote:
    Solar wrote: »

I think that's what they originally planned/expected to end on, but then they got a few more seasons...

SG-1 ended four times.

At the end of season 5, when they moved from Showtime to Sci-fi. They were prepared for that to be the end of the show.

At the end of season 7, when they were anticipating an Atlantis movie

At the end of season 8, when RDA officially left the show

and then finally after season 10.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I have probably watched the equivalent of several reasons worth of SG1 and SGA coming across reruns while channel-surfing, but I have never watched either in a logical, linear fashion. I've always liked SG1 for what it is but there's a lot of things about SGA that annoy me.

When Amazon does their Black Friday sale this year or something I may just pick up the complete set of SG1 and start working on it from the beginning.

Stargate works while catching random episodes only in the first few seasons of SG-1. After that, it becomes all serialized and you sort of have to follow along.

And even then, in the very first episode they set up a running story arc that doesn't get fully resolved until several seasons later.

sig.gif
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I dunno, I've never had too much trouble picking up the gist of what was going on, even when I come across later episodes.

But at this point I've seen enough episodes it becomes easier to connect the dots.

Now that I think about it, even most "arc" episodes boiled down to "some Goa'uld is doing something evil, we must blow his ship up".

sig.gif
    edited July 2011
    Speaking of which, did you guys know that they had only one set on the show that stood in for every Goa'uld mothership, every Asgard ship, every Earth ship and part of Destiny? It was just this one corridor shaped like an 8 that the cast could walk through infinitely while being filmed so it looked like they were just walking through this huge ship. They just changed the walls to fit whichever kind of ship it was.

Pretty sure they had just one other set on the side to stand in for the bridge of every kind of ship, too.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    SimBen wrote:
    Speaking of which, did you guys know that they had only one set on the show that stood in for every Goa'uld mothership, every Asgard ship, every Earth ship and part of Destiny? It was just this one corridor shaped like an 8 that the cast could walk through infinitely while being filmed so it looked like they were just walking through this huge ship. They just changed the walls to fit whichever kind of ship it was.

Pretty sure they had just one other set on the side to stand in for the bridge of every kind of ship, too.

Explains why they always seemed to be rounding a corner.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I

Love

Stargate.

All of them

I hate the last couple seasons of SG-1. Some of Atlantis was pretty okay. Stargate universe was not as bad as it could have been.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    For the seventh symbol thing, are you talking about dialing in or dialing back? Cause with the dialing in thing, they probably didn't know they even needed a seventh symbol. For the dialing back thing, maybe they were worried that dialing the wrong home signal would break it, or make a path to the freak dimension. I didn't see any testing after they got the seventh symbol, and as I remember, none of the people they sent were gate technicians.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    Paladin wrote:
    For the seventh symbol thing, are you talking about dialing in or dialing back? Cause with the dialing in thing, they probably didn't know they even needed a seventh symbol. For the dialing back thing, maybe they were worried that dialing the wrong home signal would break it, or make a path to the freak dimension. I didn't see any testing after they got the seventh symbol, and as I remember, none of the people they sent were gate technicians.

Oh yeah, now that you mention it, I don't think anyone mentions a seventh symbol before Daniel does.

The dialing back thing is handwaved by Ferretti saying if they dial wrong they could just rematerialize in the middle of space. Which of course we now know isn't how Stargates work, but back in the time of the movie that was as good a guess as any, so it was good enough for them not to take any chances on.

sig.gif
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I love me some Stargate. I also love Atlantis, although I definitely have criticisms about some episodes that felt like a kick in the pants.

Absolutely could not stand Universe, right from the first episode.

I still haven't seen the second season, but Universe does get better. They're just trying way too hard to be BSG though.

It's a really slow creep up to get you to care about the characters, whereas both SG-1 and Atlantis had immediately lovable characters. And SGU has nothing except its characters.

sig.gif
  • vomitvomit Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    Hmmm. So curious... I wonder why..?

Also, Sokar? Best. Goa'uld. EVAR.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote:
    I

Love

Stargate.

All of them
    StargateInfinity_2008-DVD-cover.jpg

vomit wrote:
    Druhim wrote:

Yes, that is the joke.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryNNqQt0Myk

"Now it takes us through the uuuuuniverse!"

I really should watch this sometime to see how bad it is.

• vomitvomit Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    vomit wrote:
    Druhim wrote:

Yes, that is the joke.
    Yes, yes it is.