As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FIFA advice?

billwillbillwill Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay. So I am not a huge soccer guy. I watched a few games of the World Cup in 2010, but by and large I do not understand basic strategy.

I've been playing FIFA 2010 World Cup on the PS3 with my cousin quite a bit the last few days. While not getting destroyed, he is winning regularly (though I managed to win last night in the 120 minute).

I was wondering if the kind men and women of P/A could give me basic tips about soccer/FIFA. For example, never run it down the middle or something like that. Also, maybe suggest formations I could use that would be better? I always just use default but there tons of different arrangements for the players, it seems.

Really anything will help. Thanks so much!

I hate you and you hate me.
billwill on

• Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    Don't abuse the turbo button, you're much more likely to have the ball stolen from you. Use the turbo button when you're in space, or if you want to try to get away into space.

Pass often, and use a variety of types of passes. (standard, through, lobs) The more recent FIFAs have tutorial videos in one of the menus, not sure if World Cup does though but if you can find them they should help a lot.

There's a button you can use to send a teammate on the run if you're attacking. This is helpful to use if you want another player to try to get in good position for you to send a pass in for a shot.

Don't be afraid to pass while close to the goal. Again, pass often.

QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    ShimSham wrote:
    Don't abuse the turbo button, you're much more likely to have the ball stolen from you. Use the turbo button when you're in space, or if you want to try to get away into space.

Pass often, and use a variety of types of passes. (standard, through, lobs) The more recent FIFAs have tutorial videos in one of the menus, not sure if World Cup does though but if you can find them they should help a lot.

There's a button you can use to send a teammate on the run if you're attacking. This is helpful to use if you want another player to try to get in good position for you to send a pass in for a shot.

Don't be afraid to pass while close to the goal. Again, pass often.

I use standard almost all the time. Every time I try a through pass it winds up stolen (unless I'm playing it really safe). When would I use a lob pass?

And what does on the run mean? As in, that team mate will just run forward to get as close to the goal as possible? What button is this?

I hate you and you hate me.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    if it's the same as FIFA 11, holding the L1 button (its LB on 360, I think the LB and RB map to L1 and R1) sends a close teammate sprinting forward (on a run). A lob pass is a good pass to use when a teammate has beaten his defender and there's no other defenders past him on that side of the field. It should be L1+Y for a lobbed through ball. My advice is to slowly add pieces to your game - it's taken me hundreds of games as a person new to soccer to figure out what exactly to be doing at certain times, especially to add skill moves to my game. Also, something I somehow didn't manage to find out for a looong time is, if you hold R1 while you take a shot, it uses a finesse shot instead of a power shot. These shots curve slightly as opposed to straight power shots. When coming at the goal from a roughly 90 degree angle, you can curve in shots to the back post you normally wouldn't, especially with great finishers (Ronaldo, Messi)

also, don't forget to hold L2 and RS left after you score a goal to do my favorite celebration :)

I also never change my formation and hardly ever use tactics, I just don't know enough about soccer to know exactly what they do or how to use them correctly. All I do is adjust the pace (its the Dpad on 360) from Default to Attacking usually, seems to advance the players' positioning more up the field, then back to Defending when I'm trying to hold on for a win. I rarely use Ultra Attacking as good players can just counterattack and score easily

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    Speaking from FIFA 10 and 11 experience, dribbling from A to B without getting muscled off the ball or just plain tackled is difficult, at least against the computer. When you get into close quarters (usually in the box), make use of the close control, which is literally the opposite of turbo, but in practice and in the controls. This keeps you from losing the ball as easily, and will sometimes get you fouled and into a penalty situation. Also, use the knock-on (that's where you flick the ball out in front of you, right?)