As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Concerning bags and the punching of them.

billwillbillwill Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Basically I'm looking to get a punching bag with a stand to hold it.

Are there any models/companies I should looking at? Also, I'm a big guy and relatively muscular... Should I just go for the 100 pound bag?

Thanks in advance.

I hate you and you hate me.
billwill on

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Speed bag or heavy bag ? Ringside or Title are your best places to look for boxing/MMA gear of all types.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Where do you live, apartment or home? Do you have a basement or a garage?

The reason I ask is because the stands that hold the bags are nice, but you can't properly circle around them. They're really only good for straight ahead punching which doesn't give you the full range of workouts that a heavy bag can offer. If you've got a house with a garage or basement, you can attach a hook to one of the support beams in the ceiling and let the bag hang naturally, which works much, much better, but requires a little more work.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Fairtex is also a good brand to look into.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Where do you live, apartment or home? Do you have a basement or a garage?

The reason I ask is because the stands that hold the bags are nice, but you can't properly circle around them. They're really only good for straight ahead punching which doesn't give you the full range of workouts that a heavy bag can offer. If you've got a house with a garage or basement, you can attach a hook to one of the support beams in the ceiling and let the bag hang naturally, which works much, much better, but requires a little more work.

Roger that. If you have the room to attach the bag to a ceiling hook, that is a much preferable method. Chances are pretty good that a gym equipment wholesaler exists in your area who will both sell you the bag and mount it for you.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Also if you don't have the space to hang a bag, honestly the nicer end standing bags that use the weighted base work equally well. They're usually not as heavy (I think like 60 lbs if I recall) and they don't give the resistance of the heavier mounted bags (so make sure you're using hand wraps, which you should be doing anyway, and bag gloves) but in my opinion they're still better than the big as stand that just lets you punch straight forward.

are YOU on the beer list?