As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Ruler] Indie 4x game of greatness? Signs point to yes.

1222324252628»

• StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    Anyone have any luck using external mounts on combat ships? So far they work great for haulers and miners and such, atleast until the quantum compressor get teched up really high. I Tried putting an external size 4 torpedo on a fighter, but I'm not really sure how much it is helping.

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I didn't play with it much as I had to start a new game. I put one on, but I didn't understand what exactly they do and I didn't finish the design.

Does it nulify the Subsystems useage or does it negate the wieght?

Also, if anyone wants to fumble through some Coop, I'm always down.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
    The external mount modifier makes the subsystem it is attached to take up no internal space. It gets hit after shields, and before armor. The external mount modifier always takes up one internal space.

• RakkahRakkah Registered User regular
    Played some coop with Broncbuster a few hours ago (this game is fun coop! Reminds me of Sins of a Solar Empire in pace and feel) - jumped headfirst into a single player game and got my ass handed to me by some standard AI. I feel like I've got a grip on the concepts in the game now, next up for some more in-depth research on ship building and stuff.

Gotta point out the new tutorial again - it is amazing, went into enough depth to make me feel like I've got a handle on things without getting boring.

SC2 SEALanguid.619 USLanguid.362 | Steam
    Yes, good times. We were on Trivial vs the CPU FYI.

I'm wondering, what people use External mounts for? So far, I made a Mining ship and put the Laser on one, which seemed to work out well and save a TON of subsytems.

I'm wondering, what seems to be a good idea on combat ships. I could see a 2nd Sheild generator but not sure what else is good to try?

steam_sig.png
    Reading up a little on the official forums: I posted this:
    Design a ship Drop Ship, mostly thrusters and fuel, on the externals, put Ship Bays and whatever else. Saving the +Mass for the ships entered in the bays that cause the slow down on speed.
    You could then take your assault fleet fly it to the system, undock save fuel and time by having a tricked out "speed" ship to get them there. Decent idea?

Also, was reading this:
    External mounts are very good for logistics ships like haulers/tankers as you can put in bigger engines and cargo modules (The quantum compressor thingy uses energy so not that good in haulers IMO).

For combat ships with shields it's pretty ridiculous. Two shield generators size 4 in external mounts + two shield chargers size 4 in external mounts and hardly any need for armor with a big shield buffer and recharge rates.

Also engines and buzzard ramscoop for fuel benefit from this. Well pretty much any module that doesn't gain much from a subsystem module benefits from external mounts.

steam_sig.png
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    This shit looks nuts! There's so much going on in those videos and the last two pages of posts sound like high-level discussion for a genre I've never even heard of! There's no way I'm buyi--

What the? Who took $20 out of my account? How did this game end up on my Steam Library?

• FirgofFirgof Blind Mind Studios - Co-lead Developer Registered User regular
    I dunno, but you should probably play it before whoever did it catches on to you catching on to them! It could be a trap! D:

Co-Lead Developer, Blind Mind Studios
    Click here to visit our thread on Penny-Arcade
    Big hitting external weapons seem to work pretty well on fighters. The torps on my size 2 fighters do over 3k damage per shot. Multiply that by a huge swarm of fighters and you have a nasty opening salvo.

• rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Is there some way to see a graph of how well you are doing vs other races?

As I suspected, this game has a scale and depth that I'm not even remotely prepared for. That being said, it is hella awesome and I'm going to continue beating my head against it.

Rockrnger: If you've made contact with more than two alien races, the Empire screen will show your Empire's ranking in the important fields.

As I suspected, this game has a scale and depth that I'm not even remotely prepared for. That being said, it is hella awesome and I'm going to continue beating my head against it.

Don't worry, it'll get easier fairly quickly. I played some coop with a couple different folks and being in vent is nice cause you can ask each other stuff about stuff and give the "Here's what I founds...."

steam_sig.png
    I would definitely be up for some of that.

I would definitely be up for some of that.

Shoot a friend invite my way then!

steam_sig.png
    Well played Carl Sagen lives again!

steam_sig.png
  • honorhonor Registered User new member
    How do i if i can enemy hijack ships

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    you don't know what the enemy has equipped, so you either have to fit your better ships with anti-personnel lasers or just fit your own marines to launch at their ships :)

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    honor wrote:
    How do i if i can enemy hijack ships

Boarding parties. You make a ship that has them once unlocked from the tech tree (missiles i think). Works okay. It can be also used to retake some of your disabled ships if they loose thier crew in a fight. I use them for the latter mostly.

steam_sig.png
    I like to make lots of boarding party ships in systems the AI likes to attack. My fleet in that system gets bigger and bigger all by itself.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I finally got around to spending some quality time with this today. Ran through the new tutorial and it really did a great job of giving me a basic grounding in the game. Hats off to Firgof and team for that. I get the feeling that this game is really going to sink some hooks into me, everything about it feel so good now. The amount of polish added to the game since release is just amazing and has me really excited about the future for Star Ruler.

Glad that you're enjoying the game, Drake. :)

Hope I get to chat with you online some day in the in-game IRC.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    So I finally picked this back up and started going through the Tutorial and I'm just at the part where you are learning selection methods. It tells me to hit 'tab' to cycle between those selected and it's not working. I've quit out and restarted and still no luck. Any ideas? I Know my tab key works, as I went into options and changed something to 'tab' without a problem.

edit: Deleted local content, and reinstalled and still having same issue, just clicked next and continued on. Ran into a different issue later on. While building the 3 artillery stations per planet(I had 3 in that system) I noticed that two of my planets had 0 workforce and one of my planets knocked out their queued up stations in no time. As I'm sitting there trying to figure out why the two planets are not progressing on building the stations, I get a message that "Daol I has been lost". Which was kinda funny since my fleet was parked in orbit around it. I tried to find out why it was lost, but I couldn't figure out why. So, my question is, why, in the tutorial did two of my three planets lose their workforce and why did I lose a planet? Mind you, I didn't go off and do anything other than what the tutorial was instructing me to do.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
    So, Star Ruler has been on sale during this sale.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/70900/

Should extend to Jan 2nd. I recommend this game highly. Bigish learning curve but so worth it. You can custom make your star ships using the parts you unlock from the tech trees. It is not a graphics game, which I thought would make me not love it, how wrong I was.

steam_sig.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I downloaded the demo and it crashes on opening it. butts

Also, for those wondering what its all about, here is a rereview:

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2011/09/star-ruler-gold-review/

steam_sig.png
    And a SteamGifts give away

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/hVXMe/star-ruler

I don't know how to make the fancy clickable text.

steam_sig.png
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Hey Bronc, since you're the big guy into Star Ruler - any thoughts on my problems listed above?

50433.png?1708759015
    edited December 2011
    It's been a while, but I don't have suggestions. Try mapping it ( if it lets you ) to another key and test. maybe it's just busted, I don't know. I don't think I use that key much, but I haven't played the game in a month or 2.

Stupid Skyrim and Terraria!

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png