As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC again-ining

bowenbowen How you doin'?Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all, so I'm planning a 5 day vacation in DC. At the moment I'm looking for a decent hotel on the metro (last place I stayed was near the twinbrook stop). Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel for 5 nights that isn't going to cost me half a grand? I don't need anything fancy, I just want parking, and a room with AC, internet may or may not be required as long as I have cell phone access. Something in that twinbrook area would be nice, I think I stayed at The Legacy last time I was there. I didn't really like it though, a bit too pricy for what was basically a Super 8 with an iPod dock.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
bowen on

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Half a grand is $100 a night. You won't be able to find metro walking distance hotels much cheaper than that. Just pull up google maps and look around the terminal points of each of the metro lines to see what's there.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah was hoping for a bit cheaper. The ones I have found cheaper charge for all the extra amenities like parking, internet, etc.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    I looked at Travelocity, but finding something under $100 with what you're looking for seems really tough, unless you're willing to stay out by Andrews AFB.

If you want less than $100/night with free parking, you'll probably have to give up on being on Metro and book something further out that requires you to drive in.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Thanks @Modern Man I appreciate that lookup. Yeah I'm still juggling what I want to do, I may just stay further out and drive in and leave my car at the metro. They're free parking on the weekends right?

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Does the DC area have a YMCA?

• Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    If you're feeling daring, you could always try airbnb or couch surfing. I can't vouch for either method myself. I would frankly be amazed if you could actually find a proper hotel that meets all your criteria for under $100/night.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Most of the metro stops outside DC have free parking, so if you're going to have a car anyway, that could expand your search radius.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    Most of the metro stops outside DC have free parking, so if you're going to have a car anyway, that could expand your search radius.
    I don't think that's true. IIRC, they're all pay lots.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    http://www.wmata.com/rail/parking/ this shows if there are fees and how much

also says free on holidays and weekends at metro owned lots at the bottom too

useless4 on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    Whenever I head to a big city and need a hotel room, I hop on Hotwire to find a hotel in the star range that I want, look for the lowest price, then bid around 15% less than that on Priceline. I've done pretty good with that method, finding 4 star rooms in downtown Chicago for around $50 a night. YMMV based on the city.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    Chanus wrote:
    I don't think that's true. IIRC, they're all pay lots.

I know for a fact the Vienna lot and the... shit... the one that's furthest south on the blue line have free parking areas, as I've used both within the last six months.

• Options
    Oh... maybe it's free weekends... as I haven't gone during the week.