As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAXTrain is over: Share your pictures and stories.

• Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    LAST DAY FOR SHIRTS!!!

44 Preorders so far!

• Chee-Kay EchsChee-Kay Echs Registered User regular
    Hello.

The Seattle Red Cap here. I am ordering 2- one for me, one for one of the train attendants featured in those videos (Aaron). I will send payment via Paypal within the next day or two. Can't wait to see this roll in.

Thanks

Hello again.

I have sent in payment. I will find out if Aaron is working the train so you can give him his right there. I will be the one in the zippy li'l yellow cart assisting passengers off the train. You can't miss me- I'll be wearing the red cap with urine-tinted lenses. (Long story...)

• ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Getting train personnel in on this? I love it!

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • gidgetsgidgets Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote:
    There will probably be a PayPal link. Maybe a CafePress if you guys want a coffee mug, mouse pad or something.
    Hey I work at CafePress. Lemme know if you wanna order anything.

• gidgetsgidgets Registered User regular
    Weenog42 wrote:
    LAST DAY FOR SHIRTS!!!

44 Preorders so far!

Wow glad I decided to check the thread TODAY!! I added my name! :) And I posted a reminder to the WCTT facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/groups/174659255921071/) as well!

Arikado wrote:
    Getting train personnel in on this? I love it!

Hello.

A bunch of us at the King Street Station are going to PAX. A couple from the Tacoma Station as well. My friend Aaron, the on board service guy featured in the videos, unfortunately will be on the Coast Starlight on a different day. (I'm still giving him the shirt, though.) Just remember to have your 3DS Street Pass activated...

Okay, declaring cutoff for T-Shirts. I am still accepting paypal, if you did sign up.

Want a T-Shirt but missed the signup?

I have a moderate amount of extras (mostly Mens L). I will distribute these on Thursday after our stop in Portland, which should be around 4:30pm, via some sort of raffle / auction / deathmatch. In the unlikely event that I have too many shirts, some will go to the train staff and any others will be auctioned for Child's Play.

Have people do a best of five train twister matches for them.

• MeratusMeratus Registered User new member
    edited August 2011
    Shit, I wasn't on the site yesterday and didn't see the shirt deadline. I'm first in line for the raffle / auction / deathmatch ;-)

Meratus on
    aka DriverDan, aka ExpertDan, aka Dan DeFelippi
  • YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    My boyfriend Mike is designing a strategy game, a bit like chess (more specifically, Japanese chess). We've got a prototype board and pieces made up, and we'll be testing it out for the first time to a broad group on the train. He's been distilling the rules for a while now, and some outside input would be useful. Below is a photo of the board and pieces so far, and we'll give out a button based on the white tiles and board for those who help test.
    281363_10150264212369165_659889164_7290813_5023998_n.jpg
    270010_10150264213774165_659889164_7290832_2373462_n.jpg

We get on about halfway, in Davis, just before hitting Sacramento.

We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    Anyone know what kind of beer they sell onboard? I feel like I remember buying Heineken when I was on the train. (That was 2008 though) I may want to bring some beer onboard and I'd rather just get the same kind that they are selling to avoid any potential problems.

I live on a farm.
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Heineken and Sam Adams is the "premium" beer IIRC.

steam_sig.png
  • Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Yamara wrote:
    My boyfriend Mike is designing a strategy game, a bit like chess (more specifically, Japanese chess). We've got a prototype board and pieces made up, and we'll be testing it out for the first time to a broad group on the train. He's been distilling the rules for a while now, and some outside input would be useful. Below is a photo of the board and pieces so far, and we'll give out a button based on the white tiles and board for those who help test.
    281363_10150264212369165_659889164_7290813_5023998_n.jpg
    270010_10150264213774165_659889164_7290832_2373462_n.jpg

We get on about halfway, in Davis, just before hitting Sacramento.

I wanna play!!!!! ME!! MEEEEEEeee!

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
    TNTrooper wrote:

Just the info I was looking for:) Thank you kind sir.

I live on a farm.
  • Adonus76Adonus76 RDJ's Boat HouseRegistered User regular
    sobjw wrote:
    TNTrooper wrote:

Just the info I was looking for:) Thank you kind sir.

food for thought: dixie cups are not for drunkenly puking into

Adonus76 wrote:

Lol, is this a thing that happened on a past PAX train?

I live on a farm.
    sobjw wrote:
    Adonus76 wrote:

Lol, is this a thing that happened on a past PAX train?

Yes. Some sort of drunken frat stuff seems to always happen on the train, it's rarely the PAX folk though.

• HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    Yamara wrote:
    We've got a prototype board and pieces made up...

I'm not getting on 'til Albany (roughly 7 hours before Seattle), but I'd be down for trying that out. Always glad to help play-test a game.

• ChazzonChazzon Registered User regular
    Looking up flight info now. Going to attempt to fly into Seattle on Aug 18th, then catch a flight on Aug 23rd to Los Angeles catch a cap to the station, and relax for a few hours till boarding..lol

My trip so far is

Japan-Seattle
    Seattle-LA
    LA-Seattle
    Seattle-Orlando
    Orlando-Japan

Haha This is gonna be my best vacation ever ^_^

Dirt cheap flight. Do you suggest buying my ticket early? or will I be "ok" to buy at the station?

• YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    Chazzon: Definitely get your train ticket early. They get more expensive as they sell out, and with all the PAX geeks, this train will likely run out of seats.

Hikari: I'll be sure to suggest multiple sessions for his board game playtest at different times, so people who get on at different times have a chance to play. That assumes the game isn't out the whole time. :) We might also pull it out during the after hours gaming at the Sheraton, but that will depend on what we're in the mood for.

We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
    Thanks Yamara

Bought my ticket, $184 from LAX not half bad! See yall on the train!

• DeztrukshunDeztrukshun Captain Badass Surrey, BCRegistered User regular
    Is anyone riding from Vancouver? Does anyone knows costs, etc? I would love to meet all of you! :)

• RaajTMRaajTM CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Is anyone riding from Vancouver? Does anyone knows costs, etc? I would love to meet all of you! :)
    Vancouver, WA or Vancouver, BC?

Not getting on either of those myself, boarding in Sacramento - but thought I'd help and always up for meeting other PAX goers especially on the friendly forums!

These costs are for August 25th, Thursday:
    If from WA - tickets look around $30-62 (one way) depending on time and day.
    If from BC - tickets are around $38-47 (one way) again depending on time and which day.

You can check on www.amtrak.com just put in the city you are departing from to Seattle, WA (Kings Street) and select the days and if you want a round trip and it will give you your options.

RaajTM on
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Weenog42 wrote:
    Okay, declaring cutoff for T-Shirts. I am still accepting paypal, if you did sign up.

Want a T-Shirt but missed the signup?

I have a moderate amount of extras (mostly Mens L). I will distribute these on Thursday after our stop in Portland, which should be around 4:30pm, via some sort of raffle / auction / deathmatch. In the unlikely event that I have too many shirts, some will go to the train staff and any others will be auctioned for Child's Play.

Don't give mine away! I will still be picking it up from you on Thursday at the hotel (I hope :D)

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• MaetrixMaetrix Registered User regular

If it's from Van, BC, my wife and I are on this Amtrak train {Link Here} to catch the MMT and optimize pax-age.

Cheers...

Blog | Twitter | Raptr | BUTTONEER!
    PAX2011 STATUS:"WAS MONDO AWESOME!"
    PAX2012 STATUS:"Is it too soon yet?!"
    I've put the T-Shirt list back up, so that only I can edit it. I've marked who has paid, and who is having theirs shipped. If there is a problem, let me know:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am6HbqjF0u93dDY4d0o0eTdUMUZrUGkzWEozVl9RV1E&hl=en_US

Paging Ian Sullivan: PM me so that I know who you are, since you didn't include your forum handle with your payment.

• DeztrukshunDeztrukshun Captain Badass Surrey, BCRegistered User regular
    RaajTM wrote:
    Vancouver, WA or Vancouver, BC?

Not getting on either of those myself, boarding in Sacramento - but thought I'd help and always up for meeting other PAX goers especially on the friendly forums!

These costs are for August 25th, Thursday:
    If from WA - tickets look around $30-62 (one way) depending on time and day.
    If from BC - tickets are around $38-47 (one way) again depending on time and which day.

You can check on www.amtrak.com just put in the city you are departing from to Seattle, WA (Kings Street) and select the days and if you want a round trip and it will give you your options.

Thank you so much!!! That information is super helpful! I'm so excited about the idea of possibly getting a ticket to join in on the fun! I've never gone to PAX before, or been on a train. I'm not sure what I'm doing, but I guess I could wave a huge sign around my head that says PAX TRAINIES. :D

Maetrix wrote:

If it's from Van, BC, my wife and I are on this Amtrak train {Link Here} to catch the MMT and optimize pax-age.

Cheers...

Awesome! Maybe I'll see you on the train if I manage to score some tickets! My name is Destiny, and I'll be going with two of my friends (one who got me the PAX ticket!)

• RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Cirdan wrote: »
    Arikado wrote: »
    I'll bring a netbook for work/play. I do plan to have Minecraft and Terraria on it. Not sure how'd we get around to setting up a reliable network to run a server on the train for them.

The coastal starlight has WiFi, couldn't we just do local play through that network?

As I understand it, the Coast Starlight's Wi-Fi is available only to the sleeper cars and is sporadic at best.
    polaris314 wrote: »
    Depending on how many fancy phones we have on the train, a local hotspot might be possible.

As a solution to our geeky desire to remain connected to the hive mind as much as possible RCars2 usually provides us with a decent setup for this very task. This includes a wireless router, a netbook laptop with a pedobear sticker on it, and a signal boosting antenna. Just like the past couple years, Rcars will not be joining us on the train and so I'll need to check on the availability of this equipment.

Sorry for replying to this so late. Alas Mike is right and I won't be on the train this year (though next year for sure I will be there) but the network gear is going to make it (pedobear sticker and all) so that way you all can LAN it up without tieing up the train's wifi (which of course we dont know if you can even use their wifi anyway). I also have 2 routers this time so if more coverage is needed we can facilitate that. Tennatively I'm going to ship the stuff to Mike to take along but if I can get a hold of TnTrooper and if he has enough room in his bags I'll have him take the gear with him (shipping stuff is spendy, lol).

I will throw these bits of noting and a couple guidelines on the hodgepodge WiFi for those who havent been on previous trips.

- The internet is 3G service, which is 1-3mbps at best.
    - Coverage is really good for most of the trip but in the most remote areas and in the mountains signal will get lost (ie no interwebs)
    - Dont expect super fast internet speeds, especially when lots of people are using the connection at once.
    - Dont download some super huge massive file, it will eat up the bandwidth which isnt fair to everyone else. Any content you wish to have with you on the trip, please get from your home connection.
    - For the same reason above, MMO's are kinda not a good idea.
    - Make sure your laptop has all its updates and is up to date with its anti-virus protection. No one wants their PC infected so just take precautions. If its found that your pc is spreading viruses someone can help you clean them off but in the mean time you will be asked to disconnect from the network. This has never been a problem but just letting ya all know.
    - Please no torrenting, we will put in filters to block it. In addition to the hogging bandwidth stuff we don't want people who are gracious enough to lend their connection to get DMCA notices.
    - Please feel free to host LAN games and get as many people in as you can. The routers can handle it just fine.

Also on a completely different note, if someone has a projector and is willing to take it with them that would be awesome for movie night stuff.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote:

That is fine news. Fine news indeed.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Adonus76 wrote:
    With the success of last years magic draft on the train, Arikado and I have once again decided to host another. We currently have 6 spots available and the entrance fee will be $15 (which you can give to me or Arikado on the train). You will receive 3 magic 2012 booster packs and enough basic land to build a deck. You keep the cards you draft. The prize structure is 6 packs for 1st, 4 packs for 2nd and 1 pack each for 3rd and 4th. We will be starting the draft mid evening on the Wednesday of the departure and are willing to teach anyone who has never drafted before. Please PM me or Arikado if you wish to join us and we look forward to seeing you all on the train!

On a related note, if anyone wants to play some EDH I will probably bring a couple decks.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    I as well will be bringing two EDH (commader) decks and would love to get some games in. Speaking of the draft we still have spots available so let me know if you are interested.

edited August 2011
    You know what, sure I'm in. Never done a draft before, might as well get the experience once.

I am getting on at the Oakland stop, so hope that's not too late.

Dracil on
    Unfortunately I cannot partake in the pizza (no carbs) :(

• MallinMallin Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I have a lil pico projector that I can bring, it runs video from VGA, RCA, and iPhone/iPad/iPod sources, but it's is not very bright

Oh, I also have a game that I plan to bring, the super rare "cards against humanity" best described as "apples to apples" for horrible people, this is a game we will have to make sure we lower our voices if kids walk through the train car. Or just only play downstairs, in the back area.

SAM_0237.JPG

Mallin on
  • paxjaxpaxjax Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote:

Same here, I have a 7 day mexico cruise a week after pax. Maybe you can join me in some nice protein smoothies though?

paxjax wrote:
    Dracil wrote:

Same here, I have a 7 day mexico cruise a week after pax. Maybe you can join me in some nice protein smoothies though?

just do train push ups. 100 per slice completely removes the guilt.