As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[AoC] Age of Conan: Now F2P and stuff

1272829303133»

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ok, so new computer is go and I am currently in the process of downloading this game. We shall see how long it lasts. :P

Edit: I noticed when I tried to "reactivate" my account that there are no free options, just different payment types. My account shows as being cancelled, so is there some special way of getting it active again, or does 'cancelled' equate to 'free account'?

Edit the 2nd: Ahh my account does list as 'playable' so I guess that answers that. I'll know for sure if this download ever completes.

Toxic Pickle on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, looks like they had some SNAFU when they went F2P. I got an email about credit card payment failure out of the blue and went into full "CC stolen" paranoia mode for a bit until I figured it out.

• mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    OK...so I decided to give this a try because Nak said he was playing. A couple questions:

Is it normal to have problems with lag/delays in the interface? I just got to Tortage and the beach was fine, but now most fights seem to hang and I'm getting rubber-banding a lot...which seems strange since I have a solid connection, but I just thought I'd ask.

Second, lol, boobs everywhere! I had no idea...how exciting!

So I got in and checked my account at last, and it seems the game only kept those characters I had gotten out of Tortuga. I was kinda disappointed by this only because I had hoped to still have some characters from classes that are now locked. Also, one of my characters has a long string of numbers after his name... do I get some kinda free name change or would I have to walk around like that unless I pay up?

The choices for 'free' are pretty limited, which is understandable, but still annoying. Thinking about just buying a month for a test run, which is what I did for WoW not long ago, only to realize that the game is still boring. :P

• Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    You should be able to get a free name change after server merge.

As for lag, I have been experiencing some unusual latency lately, but not that often. It might just be cause you're playing at peak hours.

Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    The servers have definitely been battered, especially Wicanna. Chat goes down every so often, hopefully Funcom will be able to upgrade their servers a bit.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I have so many exp pots and AA pots I wish I can hand them out to everyone. I have 19 left on my guardian for both and they gave me 20.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    See I wanted to test this out F2P so I installed it and got it all downloaded, logged in, and none of my characters existed anymore. Meaning my assassin was gone, and lo' and behold, I'm no longer ALLOWED to roll an assassin. So I uninstalled and called it a day.

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
    Did you not read any of the restrictions beforehand? As for none of your characters being there... anything that wasn't out of Tortage was wiped for a time even before Unchained started.

Yeah that's kinda what broke my will to play as well... finding that most of my characters had been wiped. I can understand why, seeing as they were relatively low level and I hadn't played in forever, but... yeah. All that time spent downloading and such, and I never got past the char select screen. :P

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    So I've been playing with from friends for a while, all of us killing time until TOR, running around in paleo-china. Started on the long quest chain after passing the great wall, following leads from zone to zone, facing down giant golem messengers and slowly being drawn into this plotline that even though I had never run it, seemed eerily familiar. Quest by quest on the chain it got darker, creepier, until I was seeking down the journals of a tortured madman who lived in a house he built of bones, and gazing into the twisted visage of a people whose very eyes had meted away in a horrible maze of corrupted skin where their face used to be. Always with the nagging sensation that I KNEW this place, this story, the constant deja vu that dogged my every step. Sent by my quest log into the crater of black stones that pulsed with a sickening pinkish glow reminiscent of flesh, the moans of the faceless corrupted following my hoofbeats, finally the quest log updated with a new task, the title of which was a beacon, a flare of realization. I DID know this story, I HAD seen it before, from the shuffling crater-spawn to the sickness and madness that seeped through the country side. For the title of my new quest was the same as a H.P. Lovecraft story I had read a few years back, The Color Out of Space.

I played AOC at launch, and I even completed the slow and painful grind to 80 it was at the time (on Cimmeria no less, the PvP-RP server where inattention was death.) The game really has come a long way since then. They added whole new zones to bridge the places where level gaps were before, and a crap ton of end game content. If you have a subscription that is. If you are FtP, you're screwed, as most of the interesting zones and almost all of the dungeons are locked to you. And bugs... oh the bugs. And the memory leak, stil there, will crash my computer if I play for longer than two hours.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote:
    Did you not read any of the restrictions beforehand? As for none of your characters being there... anything that wasn't out of Tortage was wiped for a time even before Unchained started.

No, I didn't, because I saw it was F2P and wanted to go back to play my already existing character. And was tortage kind of the newbyish area before you got to travel into the wide expanses of the rest of the world and get mass murdered? If so, I was out of Tortage. I may, if inclined to do so later, redownload it and play around with a boring old barbarian, if I read up on it and see I can somehow earn credits in game to unlock other stuff like I did in DDO. Not really inclined to care at this point since I still have guild wars trilogy + eotn to play with courtesy of steam.

steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
    You don't earn Funcom points ingame from anything, no. I mean if you had a character, out of Tortage etc. I'm pretty sure you could contact Funcom about it and they'd restore the one you want.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote:
    Are you sure about this? I redownloaded and my char was still around even though it wasn't out of tortage.

I'm not sure WHEN they did the wipe, characters still in Tortage from the beginning of the game definitely wouldn't be around.

edited August 2011
    My 22 Bear Shaman (that was done with Tortage) was still around.

Echo on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Downloading this now, is the OP still accurate for what server people are on?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Downloaded last night, just to have the option to fuck around. It took like eight goddamn hours to install and patch.

What is this I don't even.

No, not at all whatsoever. In fact I don't think none of those servers even exist anymore.

Arthil wrote:

No, not at all whatsoever. In fact I don't think none of those servers even exist anymore.

Okay, well I created my Aquilonian Barbarian on Wiccanna.

steam_sig.png
    Sadly I don't think the OP is active much lately, last post he made anywhere was back in June.

Tempted to ask if I can remake the thread so we have control of the OP.

• mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote:
    Sadly I don't think the OP is active much lately, last post he made anywhere was back in June.

Tempted to ask if I can remake the thread so we have control of the OP.

Just...do it?

Well this one is only up to 33 pages :<

I've seen threads similarly taken over before when the OP has gone missing. I second the notion that you should just go for it :P

Arthil wrote:
    Well this one is only up to 33 pages :<

Why do people think mods give a shit about this?

But Arthil will be way too positive about the game in his OP, and not trash Funcom's failures enough...

Well the point of an OP is to encourage people to try it out, not scare them away xP. I'll get to making up a new OP, will have to collect a lot of information about whatever has changed.

I don't know about that. When the game is bad and fails, the point of the OP is to make people not waste time/money/brainpower on the game.

Strange that you say this when the game has actually improved.

I think that as long as we can agree that Funcom is bad and fails, the game is worth a 2nd look now that it's free. :)

I really enjoy the combat system, even though I am still on the newbie island.

I think my only beef would be how spasticly they spread out all the quests.

Also, my Barbarian doesnt know how to use a fucking knife/dagger or crossbow.

steam_sig.png
    Okay so I made up a semi-updated OP but for some reason at the moment the forums refuse to let me make the thread.

In the meantime! Feel free to post here your characters/servers/etc so I'll have something more to add to the OP.

I'm Grazkor on Wiccana, add me as a friend because he is so very lonely. :P

steam_sig.png
    Wow it seriously doesn't want me to make the new thread.

This discussion has been closed.