As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Still Life Practice: Your Desk

Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
edited July 2007 in Artist's Corner
Objective: Draw or paint your desk workspace as a still life.

Medium: Whatever you want.

Reccomended mediums:
Those with a full range of tonal value. Charcoal, paint, digital, etc. Graphite pencil if you have very soft, 7-9B pencils at your disposal. Pen and ink if you don't fear very subtle cross-hatching and/or dappling.

What Is the Point, Man?: To emulate, as closely as possible, the phyiscal reality of the still life, as a test of one's pure observational and rendering skills. Without having to worry about subjects such as gesture, anatomy, style, etc., the focus becomes purely on being able to hone the essential skills of light, shade, form, and perspective.

Also, since most of us are lazy fucks, drawing your desk means you don't even have to get up or put any thought into getting a subject. It's right there in front of you, get at it.

How Long Should I Spend on This: As long or as short as you want. This sort of rendering can admittedly take awhile, so it would be cool to see progress pics along the way, if you are really going all out.

Where's Your Picture, Asshole?:

desk2.jpg
First Iteration

What, that's it?: Hey, I'm still working on it.

Anything else?: Only that if possible, it is probably preferable to have the lighting while you're drawing to be direct light- single lamps, rather than overhead fluorescent lighting. This way you can focus on looking how a single direct light source affects the lighting of the objects, rather than being befuddled by the comlexities resulting from a diffused, flat lighting setup. However, this is just a reccomendation.

Angel_of_Bacon on

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is it okay to take a photo and work from that? I do think things look a bit more "lively" when you're not using a photo, but my workplace changes pretty often.

NibCrom on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Sure, but I'd still reccomend at least starting from life, then use the photograph for ref later.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited May 2007
    workspaceA.jpg

Here's my initial pen sketch. I'll work on colors in Photoshop later.

NibCrom on
    edited May 2007
    Well this needs some serious work and my flat colors were probably a lot better, but practice is practice.

workspaceC.jpg

NibCrom on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What if, say, we don't have a regular desk we work on? Say we just put our legs up, pop a sketch pad on top, and just start sketching.

BTW- is that Coke Zero on your desk, AoB?

Tam on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Do you have some sort of "flat, furniture type thing", with some kind of "objects" on it, which could serve as a "still life"?

If the answer is "Yes", go ahead and do that. I just picked the "your desk" because it's convenient for most people and doesn't require any prep. The important bit is doing the still life exercise.

And it's Cherry Coke Zero, if you must know.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • ScottEwenScottEwen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    15 minutes to sketch, 35 minutes to scan because Photoshop is a slow bastard.

desk.jpg

ScottEwen on
    I draw this comic: http://www.thesundayscomic.com
    And then I have a deviantART here: http://scottewen.deviantart.com
    And I tweet: http://www.twitter.com/scottewenartist
  • NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I would probably be better off trying to draw on a pancake than on this piece of crapped paper. I'm not one to get frustrated quickly, but this thing did a pretty good job with that. So no, I couldn't finish this.

desk.jpg

This was my uncle's desk. I'll do one of my own after exams are over, and on a decent sheet.

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Natri, that's very good!

NightDragon on
  • StealthNachosStealthNachos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Angel of Bacon's still seems to be the winner.

Ya'know, if it was a competition. And, I mean, the internet is basically just one big pissing contest anyway, am I right?

I'll try to get one of these done. You can expect Sobe bottles out the wing-wang.

StealthNachos on
    I tend to ramble.
    edited June 2007
    Thx ND !
    Angel of Bacon's still seems to be the winner.

Ya'know, if it was a competition. And, I mean, the internet is basically just one big pissing contest anyway, am I right?

I'll try to get one of these done. You can expect Sobe bottles out the wing-wang.

Duh! How is anyone ever going to beat a still life filled with Cherry Coke Zero? :D
    They don't even sell that stuff around here!!

Natri on
  • PixiefacePixieface Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Deeply deeply crappy. :/ My desk lacks the inherent drama of Angel of Bacon's. I need to adopt some sort of habit to clutter my desk with. Or maybe just learn to draw. XD

deskwg5.jpg

Unfortunately, I got bored before I could be bothered to finish. But not before I learned that I really, truly bite at drawing technological items, such as satellite speakers and monitors. Geh. >_> And because it's daytime I can't control the whole lighting thing as I'd prefer. Darn daylight!

Pixieface on
    edited June 2007
    Update:

workspaceD.jpg

NibCrom on
  • Rob_AnybodyRob_Anybody Registered User new member
    edited June 2007
    Hey yuns. Came across this thread a couple days ago and started working on this during my lunch breaks at work. It's been a while since I did any actual still life drawings, so it's not exactly up to snuff. The monitor stand is giving me some trouble. the angle is kind of funny...

pic.php?img=5746477

Rob_Anybody on
    I am a Certified Evil Genius. I even have the bushy black mustache to prove it.
  • Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like it. What is the shiny apple product on the side?

Let me also add that Yoda's curved lightsaber brings joy to my heart.

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
  • Rob_AnybodyRob_Anybody Registered User new member
    edited June 2007
    Thats my secondary monitor for palettes and whatnot. It was actually the monitor from the last computer I was using, and when it got reassigned to someone who already had a 21 in. widescreen no one else wanted an older 17 in. so I kept it. It's not color calibrated or antyhing, but it's nice to have the extra space for...stuff...and...whatnot...

Rob_Anybody on
    I am a Certified Evil Genius. I even have the bushy black mustache to prove it.
    edited June 2007
    Natri wrote: »
    I'll do one of my own after exams are over, and on a decent sheet.

As to keep my word:

desk2.jpg

Natri on
  • HaxagorHaxagor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I noticed this thread was pretty thin, so im gonna try and help with my quickie

desksketchsmallot5.jpg

Haxagor on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That's killer. I dig the inclusion of the hand. I get the ctrl+z formation vibe from that. Excellent work too.

NeoRedXIII on
  • MyoidenRamreMyoidenRamre Registered User new member
    edited July 2007
    Hey, this is my first post here at PennyArcade. This looks like fun, I will try it later. :lol:

MyoidenRamre on
  • bluemaggitbluemaggit Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Update:

workspaceD.jpg

i really dig this one alot nice happy medium between sketch and photoshop, i think its really well done, im a sucker for art like this, regardless well done!

bluemaggit on
    .deftones.bluemaggit.banner.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Thanks. I started erasing some of the sketch lines, but then I decided I kind of like them, so at least some of them are going to stay. I'll try to do some updates on it. I just haven't had much time with my new job. My schedule is all off.

NibCrom on
  • bluemaggitbluemaggit Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ya i like alot of the sketch marks, i say dont take too much out but thats just me, don't let me how to make your art :P

bluemaggit on
    .deftones.bluemaggit.banner.jpg
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited July 2007