As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I want to Art Again (NSFW)

sainsain Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Artist's Corner
When I was in High School, I drew something everyday and improved by leaps and bounds. That energy tapered off several years ago and I basically stopped making art. Every few months I'd dust off the tablet and draw a monster or something, but that was the extent of it.

I realized I don't really have any hobbies I'm particularly passionate about anymore. I go to work, come home, and watch T.V. That's no way to live, I want to go back to doing something productive with my free time.

So, I'll be dumping things here. To start, here are a few things I've (slowly) churned out over the last year.

Two character concepts, one for DnD, the other for Vampire: The Masquerade.

duder.jpg

susane.jpg

facesfa.jpg

Mothers Day card.

mommx.jpg

Various Aliens

sketchers.jpg

Monster in a cubicle.

monsteroffice.jpg

backrnt.jpg

I guess my biggest goals right now are to brush up on the basics and go beyond doodles, finish things, use color, make images that tell a story, etc. Any criticism is more than welcome.

sain on

• UlisesUlises Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    short of providing any actual criticism, i gotta say i'm looking forward to what you come up with drawing on a regular basis

Ulises on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

These show decent structure (although the ones on angles are starting to distort, watch out for that), but I think the super-high contrast you have here is working against you. All but the palest of white skin will have some mid-tones to it, and there should be some shadows around the ala on the sides of the nose that give it some definition. I'd suggest trying some more studies with single-point lighting so you have some more dramatic shadows to work with, which will help define the form of the face.

As an aside, the shoes of your second vampire character look very awkward, like the perspective isn't quite correct at all. References are great for these sorts of things!

Brolo on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You said you wanted to go beyond doodles, so Im assuming finished pictures.

You have 17.00?

Buy this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Framed-Ink-Drawing-Composition-Storytellers/dp/1933492953

Ive read a lot of art books. Been to a lot of art school. Thats a good book. There are lots of others and no book is the end all, but that one is very easy to sink your teeth into because of he illustrates everything he is saying very very clearly.

also good

http://www.amazon.com/Proven-Strategy-Creating-Great-Art/dp/1929834195
    http://www.amazon.com/Imaginative-Realism-Paint-Doesnt-Exist/dp/0740785508/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308766474&sr=1-2
    http://www.amazon.com/Color-Light-Guide-Realist-Painter/dp/0740797719/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308766474&sr=1-1

Kendeathwalker on
  • AnawayAnaway Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Beautiful art work. I really like it. I hope you do reach your goal, but it seems like you're already good enough. XD Wish I could draw that good!

Anaway on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you want to make finished drawings and other projects, make a clear, written goal and stick to it. Do something manageable, like one finished drawing, posted on a blog, every Monday. And tell a couple of your friends about it, so you are accountable.

Also, those are all good books Kenny mentioned. Although I can't vouch for the Proven Strategies book. Nor can I afford it!

NibCrom on
  • john-briner-artjohn-briner-art Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Your drawings are just fine but definitely artistic and unique! You have the potential so you better continue what you're doing right now. Who knows, you can be a famous cartoonist someday! Well, goodluck to you!

john-briner-art on
  • sainsain Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Made an attempt at drawing Rachel from Blade Runner with little success. Her face seems...smooshed?

28624031.jpg

sain on
    edited June 2011
    her features seem too large for her head

did you do this using a reference photo?

Brolo on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Try mirroring the picture, that can sometimes help with picking up structural flaws. Off hand, I'd say her eyes are slightly misplaced - and she has an entirely tubular neck, which is stopping things looking natural.

tynic on
    edited July 2011
    Profile of little red riding hood, clothes are a bit outlandish so I started to lose the form. I want to finish it, and place it against a simple background to complement the silhouette.

hooda.jpg

Tried fixing this up a little.

53178379.jpg

sain on
    edited July 2011
    Also working on a big knight dude, trying to exaggerate his figure.

bigdude.jpg

sain on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Red riding's boobs are up way to high because you clearly wanted to fit them into the picture ;)
    That Blade Runner portrait looks pretty nice, i like your linework.

The_Glad_Hatter on
    edited July 2011
    are those her boobs? I thought that was just a weird bit of cloth ruffle or something

Brolo on
    edited July 2011
    Turning this one into something else, typical group of adventures waiting in line for a job offer.

partyzd.jpg

sain on
  • MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That is coming out great, can I suggest you make an archer? I want to see what this turns into. You have a great eye for character design.

Mabelma on
    Have some time, check out my blog
    edited July 2011
    Update on Red

hoodpf.jpg

sain on
  • AlexandrosAlexandros Registered User new member
    edited July 2011
    the wizard needs a hat bro or else he ain't no wizard ya know?

Alexandros on
    Damn, wizard is definitely lacking some hat action.

Figure doodle, with the potential to be painted.

42106099.jpg

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Left (our right) hand read as backwards to me momentarily; I get it now but I think you need to really sell that pinky knuckle going forward. Also probably develop the right arm a little better before you dive into painting; it's kind of noodly right now.

I was gone for awhile and didn't see your OP. Great stuff. I'd buy a a print of monster in a cubicle.

header_image_sm.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Put some work into this, with an alternate take on the composition, crazy detached floaty head.

22282242.jpg

19411899.jpg

sain on
    I'm afraid I'm losing some of the structure, so I need to go in and start tweaking.

35684367.jpg

I think your treatment of edges is a big part of why the structure is feeling off, the arms and hands especially could use some definition to bring them forward and make things feel more "solid".

Rolo, thanks! I'll try to refine the edges a bit when I go at it again.

At some point within the next year, I wanted to start working on a comic, a short story encompassing 20 or pages. My inking has always been pretty...terrible, so I'll be working on it.

inkhead.jpg

• bobsbarricadesbobsbarricades Registered User regular
    just posting for support. I really like what you do.

@kendeathwalker - thanks for the link that looks to be something that would help me too.

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Im really loving your stuff so far. I love the colored red

Thanks guys.

More work on this.

bigdude.jpg

More work, I think the head needs a redesign, it looks more like an angry robot.

bigdude2.jpg

• McDMcD Registered User regular
    I'm just trying to make a start on the digital painting side of things as well, so I can't offer too much advice there, but it seems like you're heading the right way. Maybe some still life studies or something would be a good shout? The colour work on the red riding hood piece is looking good, but I think the one thing that's missing from a lot of the pieces you've posted is contrast, just to help things pop a little more. Your work looks quite confident and the characters have a nice style to them, so it'll be cool to see where things go.

I think I'm nearing completion on this one, but the head lost some personality.

bigdude3.jpg

• webofinkwebofink Registered User regular
    sain wrote:
    I think I'm nearing completion on this one, but the head lost some personality.
    bigdude3.jpg

I think it was just the red glowing eyes perhaps? Maybe if the V1 chin was a smidge smaller, and you could work in the visor from V2?

You definitely get the character traits from the chin, but the visor = hey there's a person in here.

I dunno, I'm no expert =)

It's dead, Jim.
    I have virtually no experience with environments, so this is an effort to change that.
    Perspective is off, but I eyeballed it to get a rough idea down first.

envh.jpg

edited August 2011
    Needs some cleaning up, but I'm basically done with this one.

bigdude5.jpg

sain on