As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Partner Visa in Aus: Requesting State/Federal background check? (U.S. citizen)

KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've done every other aspect of the Visa - health check, testimonials, etc. - and just need to get these background checks done. I've actually figured out the FBI background check, I think, but correct me if this is the wrong procedure: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/submitting-an-identification-record-request-to-the-fbi

However, I'm not sure what to do about the State background check. I've tried contacting the police department in Edmonds, WA, which is the last place I lived. Do I just need to get in touch with them and ask for one, or is there some service online I can use?

I've spoken people who have come to Oz from France and Germany and their systems for ordering background checks seem to be much less annoying, so I don't know if I'm just misunderstanding the processes or what.

Let me know if anymore info is required!

!! ! ! !!
Kealoha on

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    it's kind of a per-institution basis. uk is a well-oiled beaurocracy machine, so when my partner got her check from cambridge it was super speedy and personal; BC one was more of a 'send some info, wait, send more, wait more. hope someone heard you.' ordeal

if you're unsure, visit the US embassy and ask. if you're in sydney, it's great fun. you get to go up to the 52nd floor of this thing

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    When I needed something similar for a similar purpose I went to my county courthouse. They told me they couldn't issue anything saying I'd never been convicted of a crime, but that they could issue something saying they had no criminal records under my name. They were quick to point out to me that other counties/states could have something and they wouldn't know. In the end I didn't need it.

Like bsjezz says, if you want some better advice I'd contact the US embassy in Australia, or conversely I might try the Australian embassy in the US.