As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Catherine - the new competitive hotness. Tournament Hype!

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    bleh. Not gonna replay for that. I'll youtube it. Gonna go get True Cheater though.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    Goodness the Quadrangle is going to suck to Gold on Hard. Bluh. I WILL DEFEAT YOU EVENTUALLY DANGIT!

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    mastrius, are you seriously going for Hard Gold on the Japanese version? I salute you, sir!

• Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    How do you get the True endings? I feel like I missed something, since mine seemed to cut off suddenly.
    I got the Katherine ending and it goes to a few months later and Vincent and Katherine are talking in bed. They talk about going out to eat and Katherine is saying something and it kind of abruptly cuts off.

• Options
    mastrius, are you seriously going for Hard Gold on the Japanese version? I salute you, sir!

Oh goodness no! Hahaha. I only WISH man. Actually tough they've already patched my game so it's the easier hard now anyways :(

I'm doing the English. Tough enough for me man! I don't think pre-patch. God could have done the golds on Japanese.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    mastrius wrote:
    Goodness the Quadrangle is going to suck to Gold on Hard. Bluh. I WILL DEFEAT YOU EVENTUALLY DANGIT!

You really hate yourself, don't you, dude?

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    mastrius wrote:

You really hate yourself, don't you, dude?

Just Golded the whole of the Quadrangle :P

Onto the next night!

• Options
    I'll take that as a yes...

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    I'll take that as a yes...

There is a high probability yes.

Took me over two hours to gold the whole of the Quadrangle. Jeez. Shit is tough man.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Drez wrote:
    Holy crap. I just beat this game. It was awesome. Fuck that final boss. It's an asshole. But haha I am the winner. I win.

I'm trying to decide if I want to focus on getting gold on each stage next, or just shoot for the endings.

Unless you feel like playing through each level for every ending, you should go for Gold.

Can you just replay the levels from your phone to get the Golds?

Yes, I believe so. You can "retry" all the stages immediately on your second playthrough. I mean as soon as you first get full access to your phone. I forget if you have access to the Awards screen on your phone before Day Two or not.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Holy crap. I just beat this game. It was awesome. Fuck that final boss. It's an asshole. But haha I am the winner. I win.

I'm trying to decide if I want to focus on getting gold on each stage next, or just shoot for the endings.

Unless you feel like playing through each level for every ending, you should go for Gold.

Yes, I believe so. You can "retry" all the stages immediately on your second playthrough. I mean as soon as you first get full access to your phone. I forget if you have access to the Awards screen on your phone before Day Two or not.

Pretty positive you can do it while hanging out at the bar on day one. It's just not worth actually going for Golds that way if only because you'll wanna save in between as it is and it just brings you through them all anyways. So I mean. Easier to just go through and get them. Plus if you mess up you have no choice but to move on to the next level. Which if getting golds is a nono.

• Options
    mastrius wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Pretty positive you can do it while hanging out at the bar on day one. It's just not worth actually going for Golds that way if only because you'll wanna save in between as it is and it just brings you through them all anyways. So I mean. Easier to just go through and get them. Plus if you mess up you have no choice but to move on to the next level. Which if getting golds is a nono.

Ahh good point.

• Options
    Just to make sure I'm getting this correctly: if I want to shoot for Gold, my best bet is to just start my New Game and then use the phone to play the stages as soon as I get to the bar?

End-Game Spoiler
    Does this mean I can access the Night 9 stages by phone?

• Options
    Just to make sure I'm getting this correctly: if I want to shoot for Gold, my best bet is to just start my New Game and then use the phone to play the stages as soon as I get to the bar?

End-Game Spoiler
    Does this mean I can access the Night 9 stages by phone?

You COULD but I don't suggest it this way. I posted above why but mainly if you select them from your phone...I'm not sure if you can save honestly. But even if so. You'll be going through those exact same levels regardless. So just skip all the scenes and save before each level and just focus on that level and reload if need be if you think you lost too many lives. (Which if on Normal then I wouldn't even worry a bit). It's just easier to go through the game and focus on the level. Plus if you mess up on the phone you can't just go back and redo it. You have to fully back out and...I don't know. I just think it's better to do the whole game.

The thing about the phone is that you don't choose specific levels to gold you go through the whole entire area back to back levels.

• Options
    Oh okay, for some reason I was having trouble parsing that. I blame fatigue.

So I'll just do a "New Game Gold Run" and shoot for one of the endings while I'm at it.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    @Silas Brown: Yeah, based on what mastrius is saying, then no. You can't save between levels within a stage with the retry feature. No landing, I guess. So the best way to do it is to just do it when you get to the stage.

Same difference, time wise. Just focus on doing it on your second playthrough so you can skip the puzzles on all future playthroughs (if you want).

In my opinion, a real man would play the Japanese version all the way through on Hard without saving the game at all and getting gold for each stage.

But that's just me...

...being a dick. 8->

Drez on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I can already see myself getting angry. I'm gonna get mega frustrated when I struggle to complete a stage, finish, and have to quit to the main menu and load the game back up because I got silver or bronze for the millionth time.

EDIT: Also, am I correct in guessing that restarting from a checkpoint is going to severely affect my score?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Drez wrote:
    @Silas Brown: Yeah, based on what mastrius is saying, then no. You can't save between levels within a stage with the retry feature. No landing, I guess. So the best way to do it is to just do it when you get to the stage.

Same difference, time wise. Just focus on doing it on your second playthrough so you can skip the puzzles on all future playthroughs (if you want).

In my opinion, a real man would play the Japanese version all the way through on Hard without saving the game at all and getting gold for each stage.

But that's just me...

...being a dick. 8->

I laughed. Hard.

• Options
    I can already see myself getting angry. I'm gonna get mega frustrated when I struggle to complete a stage, finish, and have to quit to the main menu and load the game back up because I got silver or bronze for the millionth time.

EDIT: Also, am I correct in guessing that restarting from a checkpoint is going to severely affect my score?

No checkpoints. Full step combos. All gold. (Not always but you need to step combo up to at least 4 or 5 steps from the end and you can only miss like 1 MAYBE 2 golds. But shoot for everything. Trust me.)

• Options
    Well, at least the combo timer is very forgiving.

• Options
    Well, at least the combo timer is very forgiving.

It can be but also there are times you just get absolutely boned. I mean golding the normal stages was really quite easy for me really. Hard is giving me some DAMN trouble though. Damn. Trouble. I'm at Stage 2 of the Clocktower now. But am too tired to continue this night.

Just shoot for full step combos and every piece of gold in the level. If you miss like one piece of gold but have the full step combo you'll most likely get the gold. But remember. The better you do the more carries into the next level. So if you do a super amazing Gold run with full step and all gold pieces that is probably past what is needed to actually get the gold and so that carries over into the next stage to help you out. Which will make it easier. Especially helpful on the boss stages. Getting all super golds up to the boss is helpful because bosses can suck a dick.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    mastrius wrote:

Oh goodness no! Hahaha. I only WISH man. Actually tough they've already patched my game so it's the easier hard now anyways :(

I'm doing the English. Tough enough for me man! I don't think pre-patch. God could have done the golds on Japanese.

There is no easier hard. US Hard is the same as JP's.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    @Silas Brown @mastrius

So I've personally confirmed that the information being discussed before is wrong.

Retry mode (from your phone) works like this: You select a stage to retry and you start from the first floor of that stage. If you do not attain Gold, it prompts you to retry that floor. If not, it just moves you to the next floor.

While this doesn't allow you to hard save between floors it is A LOT faster than savi reloading. Also, you have unlimited retried in retry mode.

So, retry mode is superior if you want to speedily gold the stages.

Caveat: I did not yet confirm that if you get bronze or silver on the final floor of a stage that it will ask you if you want to retry the floor but considering how retry mode works, I highly doubt that it doesn't.

• Options
    Confirmed: The game asks you if you would like to retry the area (floor) even after boss levels.

• Options
    Hmm that's actually a difficult decision. I like being able to save at landings so I can take a break without losing my enigma coins, but being able to retry in retry mode would be way less frustrating than reloading every time I get silver or bronze.

• Options
    Trust me. Retry mode is way less annoying. It is designed for this purpose.

• Options
    So I now have unlimited free plays on Rapunzel. This is supposed to be a good thing, but that 3-credit-per-night limit was the only thing that kept me from going crazy trying to solve all the stages in that.

• Options
    So I now have unlimited free plays on Rapunzel. This is supposed to be a good thing, but that 3-credit-per-night limit was the only thing that kept me from going crazy trying to solve all the stages in that.

Right? I had to pull myself away to keep my sanity. The bullshit part is how losing once resets your score. FUCK YOU, ORLANDO AND YOUR HIGH SCORE! Oh wait, Johnny later gets the high score.... FUCK YOU, JOHNNY AND YOUR HIGH SCORE!

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    Got True Lover. Was pretty miffed at having 120 steps on the last stage, got to the easy part, and then for some reason Vincent just climbed into a black hole even though I had let go of left like an hour ago. Why would he do that to me? Why Vincent? I thought we were friends, but then you climb into a black hole. I have to rethink everything now.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Someone probably told him there was candy inside.

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    @Silas Brown @mastrius

So I've personally confirmed that the information being discussed before is wrong.

Retry mode (from your phone) works like this: You select a stage to retry and you start from the first floor of that stage. If you do not attain Gold, it prompts you to retry that floor. If not, it just moves you to the next floor.

While this doesn't allow you to hard save between floors it is A LOT faster than savi reloading. Also, you have unlimited retried in retry mode.

So, retry mode is superior if you want to speedily gold the stages.

Caveat: I did not yet confirm that if you get bronze or silver on the final floor of a stage that it will ask you if you want to retry the floor but considering how retry mode works, I highly doubt that it doesn't.

Nice. Then do it that way. I just like saving between floors and whatnot. For Hard golds I know I'll be insane angry at times so I can't possibly do them through the retry system. I'll need breaks at times. I just like being able to save whenever I want. I never have to reload for silver or bronze because I only shoot for Full Step all Gold combo levels so I know I'll be getting gold when I finish it. If I mess up I always aim for at least ONE pillow so I can pick retry and start from the beginning.

But if it's easier on you guys do it up. Tis good to know.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    What's the difference between normal and hard?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    I think using the phone is faster - but either way the key is realizing when you fucked up and you're NOT getting the gold. At that point, you hit start->retry rather than going all the way to the end. Then you skip a lot of the load time. And since the phone offers unlimited retries, it works well. But yeah, if you want to take a break in between you gotta just leave the shit on so that sucks.

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote:
    mastrius wrote:

There is no easier hard. US Hard is the same as JP's.

Didn't even realize! Huh. I could've sworn the game was omega hard before patch. And was much easier after. Guess I just got a lot better.
    Tcheldor wrote:
    What's the difference between normal and hard?

Well in the English version they really toned down Normal so Hard mode seems like a giant bag of fucks in this one. But you get 1 retry from pillows. Less checkpoints. There are less pillows. Ground falls faster. Harder to Gold stages. Masterful block placement. And the big one...which you couldn't even do on Normal in the JP version anyways. But no undo button for Hard. Every single thing is harder.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Sorry to double post. But. Just Golded the whole of the Clocktower on Hard baby!! Woohoo! Onto the next!

mastrius on
  • Options
    I have three stages left to Gold on normal.

Also have to tackle Babel which seems to be a bitch and a half. I tried The Altar so far. I cried.

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    I have three stages left to Gold on normal.

Also have to tackle Babel which seems to be a bitch and a half. I tried The Altar so far. I cried.

You just don't even know man. Altar is pie. Wait until the other 3.

• Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    Apparently I didn't have my meter far enough blue to get the True ending, which sucks. Oh well, I'll make sure to fix that for my next playthrough.

A question about the final boss.
    Can those falling meteors actually hit you? I've done that stage twice and never got hit by one. There doesn't seem to be any warning for where they will fall and I was so sure that one would nail me right before I got to the top.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Shaggy wrote:
    Apparently I didn't have my meter far enough blue to get the True ending, which sucks. Oh well, I'll make sure to fix that for my next playthrough.

A question about the final boss.
    Can those falling meteors actually hit you? I've done that stage twice and never got hit by one. There doesn't seem to be any warning for where they will fall and I was so sure that one would nail me right before I got to the top.

Those fucking meteors. You bet you they can. They never hit you when you're just doing the level. But when you decide to go for the gold you'll get hit by them in all the most retarded fucking assholish stupid goddamn ARGH! It made me so mad hahaha. Like I never got hit by them before until I started trying to gold that level. Then they hit me all the time. Just like pull a block out oh oops a meteor that was aiming for a block below you hit you while on the ledge. Or oh hey guess what the block you're on didn't turn red to warn you about a meteor so now you're dead. Man. I get worked up over those things. Made me so mad during the gold run I was like. Just. Chucking my controller on the floor. Mainly because they never hit me before so it was unheard of and dumb.

mastrius on
  • Options
    puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    I have a question that maybe some of you can help with. I am on level 6-3 and I am finding myself being highly irritated. Actually, 6-2 is where the irritation started, but anyway... (for note, I am playing on Normal)

Earlier in the game I was enjoying learning from my mistakes and bouncing back and it was satisfying completing each level. The last level, and probably even this one, I feel that I am beating them by sheer luck. I am spending so much time and not enjoying myself. This is terrible because I really really like the story. If I switch to easy do you think I'll be able to finish it? Will switching to easy lock me from anything besides achievements?

FrankForum-1.jpg