As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Congratulations! You have died! Dungeons of Dredmor

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    More like what did Canada do to deserve not getting its ass kicked?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    FUCK
    YES

aMiZ1.jpg

yLSkE.png

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Damn, like 70 damage before armor.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    damnnnnnnnnnn

Seriously, that was pretty much the purpose of my dual wield tinker/smith build. Smith so I could make two fine steel axes (got lucky and found one in a store on floor 3, steel is hard to come by) which I could then turn into the clockwork axes with maxed tinker.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Nerf clockwork chainaxes.

• CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    OK, my recent death was just lame. I was level 11 on the fourth floor, wiping out a quest squad, which caused their commander to spawn right next to me. Being a fairly fragile mage, I decided to get myself a safe distance away before I started blowing him up, so I used my Mathemagic random teleport... which put me in a spot that was still right next to him, where he hit me. This was in a fairly wide open room, and the chance of this happening was very low, so I teleported again... right next to him. And a third time... right next to him. Now at single digit HP, I risked running to a nearby displacement glyph... which sent me to an unexplored room with several monsters surrounding me.

I don't mind dying because I did something stupid or risky, but it sucks to lose a character I spent hours on in what should've been an unremarkable encounter just because the RNG decided to be a dick.

Cantide on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    FUCK

Opened a monster zoo, then ran into the doorway of Brax's store to limit the avenue of approach

one of the guys hit me and triggered my Radiance aura

which enraged Brax

who summarily slew me without breaking a sweat

fuck

I haven't been killed by Brax yet. But I haven't done anything to piss him off either. Now I know it can happen by accident!

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh wow, congrats on the clockwork axes Dru.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I know this sounds dumb, but can you block attacks without a shield?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    Cantide wrote:
    OK, my recent death was just lame. I was level 11 on the fourth floor, wiping out a quest squad, which caused their commander to spawn right next to me. Being a fairly fragile mage, I decided to get myself a safe distance away before I started blowing him up, so I used my Mathemagic random teleport... which put me in a spot that was still right next to him, where he hit me. This was in a fairly wide open room, and the chance of this happening was very low, so I teleported again... right next to him. And a third time... right next to him. Now at single digit HP, I risked running to a nearby displacement glyph... which sent me to an unexplored room with several monsters surrounding me.

I don't mind dying because I did something stupid or risky, but it sucks to lose a character I spent hours on in what should've been an unremarkable encounter just because the RNG decided to be a dick.

Hey, I just died to something very similar. A giant streak of critical/counter attacks from a quest monster when he had 1 health left. Which is a bummer, because this character was fantastic. Only on level 2 and had a brigandine, on my way to serpentine plate armor. Had a magma mace and the materials to make a second one, and a slinky flail, not to mention some pretty decent rings and a great crossbow.

A little frustrating to lose him like that, but I guess I'll try something different.

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
    edited August 2011
    I really need to get some money and return to level 3, later on. A shop there had a sword (I Forget the name) with 30 slash damage. Unfortunately it also costs nearly 60k. That'll take a while to save up. :P

Goatmon on

Goatmon wrote:
    I know this sounds dumb, but can you block attacks without a shield?

Block is a stat. Look at your block stat. If it's not zero, you have a chance to block.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    i gotta say
    i dont like that sleeping monsters can block or counter
    that's kinda stupid

bideo games

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    haha not mad
    i just think that roguelikes generally have a very good attention to detail
    and that doesn't track logically very well

magic?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    ok, anachronisms aside
    i mean like, hey, if you write in the dust with your finger, that will fade, but not take as long
    but if you use a gem to inscribe it on the ground, it'll take a while, but that shit is there to stay

or hey, i'm carrying something flammable, and i get near fire, it could combust
    or, i need to have gloves equipped if i want to pick up a cockatrice corpse without dying

obviously there's magic and mythos and such
    but within the constraints of it's own systems, it makes sense

having someone/something asleep
    and then like, as you swing your weapon
    not only wake up mid-swing, but then either dodge it entirely or avoid the attack and counter it
    seems dumb

it's kinda like in wow, as a rogue
    if you are physically behind the target, they can't ... dodge or parry or something
    one of those avoidance stats

again, magic

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    again... within the constraints of it's own systems

this conversation is getting dumb, nevermind

it was always dumb
    I mean, you don't complain about rogues being able to disappear even though it's almost never considered a magical ability in rpgs
    it's just like, hey they're so stealthy and dextrous that they can just disappear in plain sight and it's not magical, it's just something they're really good at!
    it makes no fucking sense, but you roll with it
    or taking it back to this game, how does it make any sense that you can counter or block attacks from any side? it doesn't but you're ok with that because it doesn't bother you

this has nothing to do with logic at all, you just pretend it does so you can create a justification for why you don't like it

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    i guess the line im drawing is arbitrary
    makes sense to me, but eh
    that's not worth a whole lot

• Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    You can parry shit from any direction because you aren't fucking asleep.

Case Closed

Conan Edigawa

motherfuckingwar.png
    Teehee.

inthymercy.png

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I got Lord Dredmore. He actually had a decent ranged attack, which surprised me after all the 'he's too easy' I read. Still, I cursed him twice, dropped my fateful everdying wyrmling to distract him, fired a bolt of squid and teleported away, drinking away my status effects and my hp loss. He died while I was hiding around a corner. Build: Promethean/Mathemagic/Blood Magic/Magic Power/Archeology/Unarmed Combat/Ley Walker.

Promethean really makes this game easy. And not just the Fireball, but also the wyrmling. It will always get aggro over you, so you can summon it next to a danger, and move away. If you can make it to level 3 to buy the skill, there's little to stop you, it can solo the dungeon for a long time, if you are patient. Mathemagician is second best, the initial skill will probably (but not always!) save you, but the skills at 4/5/6 are all amazing.

Things learned during the crawl:
    Mana (and hp regen) has a cap of 7. You can't get more than 1 mana/hp per turn.
    Haywire chance is bugged and doesn't affect your spells, but it does affect traps you stand on.
    Your own spellpower determines the power of most traps. Acid bolt traps are lethal to a mage.
    Especially at the lower levels, you can just skip most of the loot. Moreso if you go for golden ratio.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Vampire_GoldfishVampire_Goldfish Registered User regular
    So I'm in absolute love with this game, just bought it a few days ago.

First character was on Elves Just Wanna Have Fun, who's name made the purchase of the game worth it already, and he only lased about ten minutes.

Second character remained on said difficulty and is now on his way to stage 4. To be honest, I can't wait for him to die because I am in the mood for some Dwarven Moderation. He is rocking Astrology, Fleshcrafting, Blood Magic, Promethean, Mace Affinity, Necromancy, and the armor line. Necromancy and Armor get 0 attention, as Necromancy almost always kills me and I don't even know why I got the armor line on spell caster. Fleshcraftng and Astrology are my go to guys and work out very well together.

Could just be the difficulty!

Anyways, can't wait to play after work today.

signatureseh.jpg
    Blood magic works so well with Promethan. Throw a fireball onto 3-4 guys and I pretty much get back what I spent on killing them.

Also, I'm wondering why Alchemy doesn't come with a grinder, seeing as both mana and health potions require something that you get from grinding more than anywhere else. That seems kind of important.

Then again, I wouldn't be bitching about it if I wasn't up to level four and up to my eyeballs in rusted gear with NO FUCKING GRINDER TO PUT THEM IN, AAAAAAH

Really missing having a bunch of health pots.

edited August 2011
    Also, I cannot stress enough how awesome blood magic is for a promethean mage.

When going into a zoo I pretty much never run out of mana. I just keep throwing fireballs and getting back nearly (if not as much, or more) than I spent on it and it just keeps going forever until there's nothing left to burn. It's ridiculous.

Unfortunately my latest mage got a little too worn down when a Pumpkin reared it's ugly head. I made a run for it when I realized how low I was getting, and then he gassed me before I could make my getaway.

I would've been fine if I'd taken a health potion, but I couldn't make any cause the game refused to give me a FUCKING GRINDER.

Goatmon on

edited August 2011
    Druhim wrote:
    Oh man, Brax has a sword (Doul's Possible Sword) that does 30 dam but it's just shy of 45k zorkmids and I only have 17.5k. Tempted to try stealing it.

This comes far too late to be any help, but I figured out how to steal from Brax without pissing him off.
    Pick up an item and then put it down right in front of Brax while he's standing in the doorway. Then move into the doorway and pick it back up, and set it down in the space outside, just in front of the shop entrance. Then step out, walk PAST the item so you're now two spaces in front of the shop, and pick it up. If you move to another dungeon level and then come back you can even return to the shop and he won't give you any trouble.

Doing this, you bypass the theft check, and it doesn't recognize you've done anything, because you didn't technically leave the shop while carrying anything stolen.

This is probably a bug that just hasn't been fixed just yet. I expect this method won't work forever.

Goatmon on

edited August 2011
    J-Factor wrote:
    in the next patch:
    Alchemists now start with an Ingot Grinder, giving them more rubbish than any other class.
    Yaaaay!

Goatmon on

hey Dru:

- FIXED: monsters who are stunned or asleep can no longer dodge, block, or counter-attack.

eat it.

And if you read what I said about that, I clearly stated we don't know it's a bug until they agree it's a bug. So hey, that basically proves us both right except you were operating from an assumption and I was simply saying, let's wait and see.

So suck it back?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Dru and Red all 69in' up in this here thread.

It's pretty hot.

you gots to pay to watch

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    shit, I got no cash, can I pay in dancing? Look at me go!

depends on the dancin'

<---- Dancin for your pleasure

*zzzzzip*

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I got this game and its pretty good.

But after you get that first level or two, the paranoia really starts to kick in about not dying so that the last two hours of your life is not wasted.