As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2011 BYOC Info/FAQ - SOLD OUT!

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    East_BYOC = PAX East relevant stuff
    Prime_BYOC = PAX Prime relevant stuff

:P No east didn't sell out before I posted it to twitter. I mentioned it on twitter the day it went live. It just sold out very fast.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    BigRed wrote:
    East_BYOC = PAX East relevant stuff
    Prime_BYOC = PAX Prime relevant stuff

:P No east didn't sell out before I posted it to twitter. I mentioned it on twitter the day it went live. It just sold out very fast.

Totally forgot about this until just now. I placed third in the minecraft bookshelf contest last year at east. IIRC me+my partner were told the prizes were cardboard minecraft heads? We gave our information but never received anything. Any idea who to contact re: missing prizes?

Disregard.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    Hey BigRed, about how long after a refund is issued are tickets purchased again? I've been refreshing the lanfest page quite often over the past few weeks but it always says sold out..

• FellinaFellina Registered User regular
    japerry wrote:
    how long does admin approval take to process?
    Not sure, but it was just today that I received the Paypal refund. So looks like they're out about 10 days atm.

• Cerrato0426Cerrato0426 Registered User regular
    Just saying to give someone hope: I just put in a request for 1 refund.

• japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    Woot it looks like I'm in! Red, whats the plan about the #IRC BYOC group? its the end of July... =D

7jIDTca.png
    japerry wrote:
    Woot it looks like I'm in! Red, whats the plan about the #IRC BYOC group? its the end of July... =D

I don't organize the groups, thats up to an elected group leader to collect all the info I need. Group seating will be up at the end of july (Theres still 2 meetings left before the end of july :P)

Cool! Unfortunately the lanfest site is somewhat borked at the moment. I know two people who have 'paid' through paypal, but yet it shows their registration as unpaid still on the list. I guess the paypal bug (which affected all events not just PAX) really messed up how registration worked in the last few days.

Cerrato0426 --> it says you have 5 spots? are you refunding all of those?

7jIDTca.png
  • Cerrato0426Cerrato0426 Registered User regular
    No, I'm only refunding one spot.

• RaybdbombRaybdbomb Registered User regular
    What games are going to be popular this year? Last year I was all pumped and prep'd to play League of Legends and Modern Warfare 2, and neither had any players because neither really have LAN play.

I want to be prepared this year!

• MaxNVMaxNV Registered User regular
    Raybdbomb wrote:
    What games are going to be popular this year? Last year I was all pumped and prep'd to play League of Legends and Modern Warfare 2, and neither had any players because neither really have LAN play.

Install TF2, it's always been big but it should be huge this year now that it's free. Starcraft 2 is also pretty big.

• bitterfunbitterfun Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Don't have confirmation, but I heard a rumor that Boddaker will be showing up with his Tron Lightcycle in the BYOC.

That's some stiff competition for the Casemod Contest.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/?q=boddakers-tron-lightcycle

Tron_Lightcycle_PC_67.jpg

Tron_Lightcycle_PC_63.jpg

• RaybdbombRaybdbomb Registered User regular
    MaxNV wrote:
    Raybdbomb wrote:

Install TF2, it's always been big but it should be huge this year now that it's free. Starcraft 2 is also pretty big.

I've won a few TF2 tourneys in my past, and I just got royally stomped in the TF2 tourney last year. Looking forward to getting stomped again by some finely hatted champs

• G4MERG4MER Registered User regular
    Ahh Bitter dont worry, I am sure when they see your case they will all have their eyes buggin out over its awesomeness.

g4mer_paxsig.png
  • BoddakerBoddaker Registered User new member
    bitterfun wrote:
    Don't have confirmation, but I heard a rumor that Boddaker will be showing up with his Tron Lightcycle in the BYOC.

Haha, no worries man, I won't be in the BYOC this year. TRON will be on display at the EVGA booth. I believe they will have a cool promotion going on, so make sure to stop by and check it out. :)

Boddaker wrote:
    bitterfun wrote:

Haha, no worries man, I won't be in the BYOC this year. TRON will be on display at the EVGA booth. I believe they will have a cool promotion going on, so make sure to stop by and check it out. :)

Lol, I gotta admit that is an awesome case and it would be definitely be a finalist against most any mod. But I hope some of the modding communities makes it out this year. Two years ago there were some awesome cases. Last years, meh. I would love to see some of the cases I see on bit-tech, modders-inc, thebestcasescenario, and CPU magazine in the PAX BYOC.

BSMods might be sending some of cases to the BYOC. I do know he's doing something for Zotac.

I almost wonder if we could stimulate some additional competition if there was an adopt-a-casemodder for the BYOC. Show up and show off their case and play with a kick-ass computer for the weekend.

Yes, I know group seating hasn't gone up yet.

I don't have a final layout yet so I cant put it up here.

I will keep pushing to get a final layout soon.

BigRed wrote:

Just go free style! Arrange the layout and computers by height or color.

• ValanderValander Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote:

Knowing is half the battle, right?

D.
    Valander wrote:
    BigRed wrote:

Knowing is half the battle, right?

GO JOE!

• :)NuK:)NuK Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Wow. I really like i just got screwed. I've done BYOC ever since the very very first PAX, and this year I never even got an email or an opportunity to buy a BYOC ticket.

WTF guys? Do you expect people to watch the forums?

Really, words can't begin to express how disappointed I am.

edit: i checked my email, you sent one BEFORE byoc passes were available. Why not one when they were? I'm not a twitterer or a normal attendee of these forums. Is there a waiting list or anything? *sigh*

:)NuK on
    :)NuK wrote:

There hasn't been an email saying BYOC was live in a while now. The last email notification that it has gone live was back in.... 2007? The only exception to that was the first PAX East which had issues selling out since people didn't yet know the awesomeness of BYOC

For the past few years its been launched on the forums and announced here & twitter.

Watching the forums/twitter is more or less a requirement now since BYOC is selling out faster and faster each year (just like PAX). This year BYOC sold out in a week.

Sorry you didn't get in this year but for future years you should watch the forums and/or sign up for twitter and follow Prime_BYOC (and Official_PAX for that matter). You can set them to email you (and even SMS you postings, although id disable that for PAX if you aren't in BYOC).

Also if you keep watching the Lanfest site you can probably get lucky and catch a ticket refund when it processes. After a ticket is refunded its released back into the general pool of tickets available for anybody to grab.

There are numerous people that have gotten in by doing that.

edited August 2011
    I know that you are all that is god in BYOC, but i have to strongly disagree. I DEFINITELY got email notification.

Here it is from 2010. I have all of them up to and including the original BYOC.
    We just wanted to drop a friendly reminder that the Bring-Your-Own-Computer (BYOC) registration is open. Not only does this plant you in the center of our LAN party-component to PAX and give you access to all sorts of BYOC exclusive contests and prizes, but it also provides a place to call home between panels, tournaments and expo hall exploring.

Sign up at http://lanfest.intel.com/paxprime, and as a heads up, we will definitely sell out of these seats.

While we've got your attention, if you haven't yet arranged for lodging, it's typically better to do that sooner rather than later. You can take a look at our hotel list on Paxsite.com. Finally, if you happen to have friends who want to go but haven't yet gotten their tickets, you might want to let them know they should do so...it's looking like, once again, we won't have any tickets left at the door.

Thanks for your time, and see you in 2 months!

Any chance for future years we could bring back the notification or have an optional mailing list? This is honestly the main reason I go to PAX.

Thanks for the heads up about the refund system. I will refresh often and cross my fingers.

That was sent out a few weeks after it was live because registration slowed down, that was not an initial announcement that it was live. By that point at least 350 seats were sold. Kinda moot cause Shortly afterward the room was shrunk to make space for our stage of awesome and registration filled up.

Highly unlikely for email notification on initial registration. That decision was made to give the people who stay on top of things the best chance to get in otherwise BYOC reg would fill up too fast and there would be even more people upset that they couldn't get in. Although that just delayed the inevitable since things go so popular they are selling out in record time. Thats just the way things are going with PAX in general. (This year 3 days sold out in 22 days, BYOC in a week. It will be worse for next year).

Just watch the forums around the may/June timeframe for prime and/or I *HIGHLY* suggest you sign up for twitter if you want instant notification of things going live. Like I said you could get sign up for notifications and not even use the account again.

Roger that. Thanks for the quick response. I'll probably come by and look longingly into the room, and say hi!

Just watch the Intel site like a hawk for a refund if you still want to get in :)

• joraxjorax Registered User regular
    Wait what? I also have done BYOC every year, and just happened to hear they were sold out. I registered based on an email sent to me EVERY YEAR. I am so dissappointed :(.

BigRed wrote:
    That was sent out a few weeks after it was live because registration slowed down, that was not an initial announcement that it was live. By that point at least 350 seats were sold. Kinda moot cause Shortly afterward the room was shrunk to make space for our stage of awesome and registration filled up.

Highly unlikely for email notification on initial registration. That decision was made to give the people who stay on top of things the best chance to get in otherwise BYOC reg would fill up too fast and there would be even more people upset that they couldn't get in. Although that just delayed the inevitable since things go so popular they are selling out in record time. Thats just the way things are going with PAX in general. (This year 3 days sold out in 22 days, BYOC in a week. It will be worse for next year).

Just watch the forums around the may/June timeframe for prime and/or I *HIGHLY* suggest you sign up for twitter if you want instant notification of things going live. Like I said you could get sign up for notifications and not even use the account again.

Just saw this one. Strange - every year when I registered for the main event there was a checkbox for "send me info about BYOC" which is why I thought I was sent the mail, not because registration was slow.

Ugh, just venting now. I pre-order 3 day passes day 1 every year, and go to BYOC every year. Now I can't because I don't use Twitter and didn't know about a specific post on a specific forum until it was too late. And the emails that go out were stopped because then it would sell out too fast? I don't get the logic.

Yup. PaX isn't like it used to be. Its popular now ;-) ..... I'm just hoping that with the BYOC being sold out that it will lead to some better gaming. Many times its only half-full because people use it as a storage locker =(

7jIDTca.png
    edited August 2011
    They really ought to change it how it used to be: allow people to buy BYOC passes when they buy their 3 day pass. The argument of it selling out too fast makes absolutely no sense to me. Uh ya! it's going to sell out either way. let people like me, and jorax obviously, be able to get in BECAUSE we hop on it early.

edit: offer "gold" seating for $20 additional donation to childs play for people who want early bird BYOC. I don't care. I just want a seat. :|

BYOC will never be ready when the 3day passes are.

Its always later, cause we (in PC room) have to finish one PAX before we start planing for the next. Which has advantages to constantly improve and learn from things that come up.

People get in because they hop on it early, if you are dedicated enough to follow it (read the PAX forums/follow PAX/BYOC twitter). Its just a lesson for next year.

There are posts like this every year. People mad cause they missed it cause it sold out too quick... However they learn for next time :) Don't think ive ever seen the same people post 2 years in a row that they missed it.

That may be. I've just never missed it at all. :P thanks BR

• AGlassOfMilkAGlassOfMilk Registered User regular
    I feel like I have to ask this every year now, but will the BYOC network be connected to PC Free Play network?

Also, has there been any thought given as to setting up dedicated servers for some of the major games?

edited August 2011
    BigRed wrote:
    BYOC will never be ready when the 3day passes are.

Its always later, cause we (in PC room) have to finish one PAX before we start planing for the next. Which has advantages to constantly improve and learn from things that come up.

People get in because they hop on it early, if you are dedicated enough to follow it (read the PAX forums/follow PAX/BYOC twitter). Its just a lesson for next year.

There are posts like this every year. People mad cause they missed it cause it sold out too quick... However they learn for next time :) Don't think ive ever seen the same people post 2 years in a row that they missed it.

I'll try to be "dedicated enough" next year, seeing as my prior dedication (day 1 3-day pass purchases, day 1 responses when I got the email every previous year for BYOC) isn't deemed enough :p. Yes, I'm bitter. Yes, being told this is my fault for not being dedicated enough feels condescending.

A simple "I'm sorry, your are right the process has changed and we didn't notify people directly" would suffice. As Nuk's pasted email shows, the procedss clearly has changed and multiple people lost out because we didn't know the process had changed. I'm not asking you to change that (nor do I think it could be), but being treated with a bit of respect and perhaps some understanding as to why I/we are upset would be nice.

jorax on
  • AGlassOfMilkAGlassOfMilk Registered User regular
    jorax wrote:
    Whine whine whine. I didn't get what I wanted. Whine whine whine.

Nothing can be done. Watch the LANFest website and move on...

• chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Well, reading through the whole thread you would find all of these complaints have already been recognized and taken as further suggestions or explained as to why the process is different this year. Also, apologies have been made that people who wanted to get in could not, so personally, I think it's rude of *you* to come in this late and demand a personal apology for each person who missed out without being respectful enough to read the thread first.

Much like PAX itself, this is a limited event that sells out. If you did not get a space, that means someone did, who also wanted it.

Relevant posts:
    BigRed wrote:
    The email blast was decided against because that made it sell out too fast (back when we thought a week was too fast). Its just announced on the forums and twitter (Both the Prime_BYOC account and the Official_PAX account) so it doesn't instantly sell out and those who *want* to be in the room get a shot.

If an email blast is sent then it would have sold out in hours.

Yes the BYOC accounts name was changed but if you were following it already you should have still gotten the updates from it.

I gave a few days notice when the post went up (also broadcasted to twitter that reg was live soon). We have never given an exact date to when it will go up (just "soon") because we don't know until it happens :P

Sorry to those who might not get in this year but be on alert for next year, cause it will sell out even faster then.
    BigRed wrote:
    alegria wrote: »
    -or- that you can't sit on the link for a few days before releasing it into the wild.

I realize I am apparently in the minority here, but it's very frustrating to see this happen two years in a row despite my efforts to avoid problems in the first place.

We tried that last year.

People figured out the URL code to get to the reg site so we just made it live anyway after people were posting on the forums about it.

The email was only sent this year as a heads up that 3days were selling out (and might have before BYOC went live). Just so people would get their 3day passes so they could do BYOC when it goes live (also it said in the email it would be announced on twitter/forums when it went live). There hasn't been a general email that says BYOC has gone live since... 2007? Or 08? Its always been on the forums/twitter since then.

If you want the most accurate and immediate info check the forums and twitter.

Also if you keep getting the server too busy error on the forums... wait a few min and try again. It has never been down for me all day.

Ninja edit: like when I was making this post.....
    BigRed wrote:
    SkorMT wrote: »
    oh well.. :(. guess I missed out this year.. like first time in a few now ..

usually have my sites up and watching this .. but head cold last week.. put me in a stooper.. that and I seem to remeber it always landing around first week of June.. *shrug*

enjoy BYOC all .. at least I got my cool spec's and Nvidia blanket from last year to pull me through

It will start getting earlier and earlier in the year now... mostly due to the 3day passes selling out so soon.
    BigRed wrote:
    :)NuK wrote:

There hasn't been an email saying BYOC was live in a while now. The last email notification that it has gone live was back in.... 2007? The only exception to that was the first PAX East which had issues selling out since people didn't yet know the awesomeness of BYOC

For the past few years its been launched on the forums and announced here & twitter.

Watching the forums/twitter is more or less a requirement now since BYOC is selling out faster and faster each year (just like PAX). This year BYOC sold out in a week.

Sorry you didn't get in this year but for future years you should watch the forums and/or sign up for twitter and follow Prime_BYOC (and Official_PAX for that matter). You can set them to email you (and even SMS you postings, although id disable that for PAX if you aren't in BYOC).
    BigRed wrote:

Each of these responses has been respectful, expressed regret that BYOC cannot grow to meet the demand, and given helpful tips on getting seating next year. I'm not sure what you are looking for, but I don't think you're going to find a mea culpa for something where no error was made.

chaosisorder on
    I feel like I have to ask this every year now, but will the BYOC network be connected to PC Free Play network?

Also, has there been any thought given as to setting up dedicated servers for some of the major games?

Yes

and

Yes

:)

This discussion has been closed.