As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Catherine - the new competitive hotness. Tournament Hype!

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    mastrius wrote:
    But no undo button for Hard. Every single thing is harder.
    I think this will be the worst thing when I get around to hard mode. The main thing I've been using it for on normal is resetting the combo timer and skipping boss attacks rather than actually fixing a mistaken block move.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    49gsbu.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    puffycow wrote:
    I have a question that maybe some of you can help with. I am on level 6-3 and I am finding myself being highly irritated. Actually, 6-2 is where the irritation started, but anyway... (for note, I am playing on Normal)

Earlier in the game I was enjoying learning from my mistakes and bouncing back and it was satisfying completing each level. The last level, and probably even this one, I feel that I am beating them by sheer luck. I am spending so much time and not enjoying myself. This is terrible because I really really like the story. If I switch to easy do you think I'll be able to finish it? Will switching to easy lock me from anything besides achievements?

If you switch to easy, you won't unlock very easy mode (which you get by beating all levels on normal, I think). Other than that, you're fine. The game can be pretty brutal sometimes, and right around stage six is where it really ramps up, in my opinion. Just switch to easy and enjoy the story.

Edit: holy shit, that is an awesome cake.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    Thanks a lot Vi Monks. And yes, that is a pretty amazing cake!!

FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Is that just a box cover squished into the cake, or actually a part of it? Because that's some freaky detail if it is.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    I'd assume it's just an edible cake print.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    WHAT THE FUCK
    9-1 - Gold
    9-2 - Gold
    9-3 - Gold
    9-4 - Gold
    9-5 - Gold
    9-6 - Silver

On 9-6 I fucking got every pile of gold coins and did not break my combo at any point. I finished the stage with over 350,000 points. I am livid.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    cj iwakura wrote:
    49gsbu.jpg

Nice cake. Too bad it's nothing compared to
    This
    Catherine-Iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg
    If you could have this made in real life (and you probably could with the right amount of money) I would probably cry from happiness.

BTW, Vincent's pointing at the cake and telling Mutton, "I see what you did there." :p

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    Hmm. I did it again and my final score was 388715. I think I actually did miss some coins. They drop off on the left if you aren't careful. Easy to miss. Also I guess it is possible my combo did break at some point but I didn't realize.

Anyway, Gold got.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I ain't even beaten the game yet and you're golding it on Hard already?

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Damn, Drez, you're a fiend!

I'm really dreading the final stages for gold. I barely passed them when I was making a point to ignore the coins and just survive and climb.

• Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    Damn, Drez, you're a fiend!

I'm really dreading the final stages for gold. I barely passed them when I was making a point to ignore the coins and just survive and climb.

The final stages blow to gold. This is a fact.
    But he's talking about Normal Golds. Not Hard.

DarkPrimus wrote:
    I ain't even beaten the game yet and you're golding it on Hard already?

I am yes. So very much so. I just finished Golding the Spiral Staircase on Hard actually. Now the Double level. Ugh I hate this one. I am not looking forward to her running off and dying constantly on me.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    Ohoohoho! Booyah baby! Golded Hard double person level in 1 try! Onto the Empireo for Hard goldings! I fucking dread this.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    That is indeed the best cake, but I'd love to see someone try to create it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote:
    That is indeed the best cake, but I'd love to see someone try to create it.

I want one.

Also. golded the 2nd stage of the Empireo on Hard! God. So. Fucking. Annoying. But... Almost there..!

• Options
    So, I got all Golds now on Normal.

I did the final stages in a mixed up order. Spoilers follow.
    First, I did Empireo (9th stage). 9-5 pissed me off to no end. 9-6 was cake comparatively.

Next, I did Spiral Staircase (7th stage). Not that bad, really. I think Spiral Staircase has the best pure puzzles in the game, to be honest.

Finally, I did the Cathedral (8th stage).

Holy.

Fucking.

God.

I wanted to punch a hole in my wall.

THREE times I get to the VERY TOP OF THE TOWER. Like the part right before the cutscene starts, where everything is all dark blocks.

THREE times I get there and get the goddamn "Love is Dead" screen because Catherine (the boss) nails Katherine (my dumb little NPC follower) with lightning ON THE VERY LAST NON-DARK BLOCK.

*IDWASLUAHDIKHE(*@#$Y(*EHJOIDWAJHOAISJ@#Q(*JHDIOJNASDOINAOSDAJLASJSDALKJSDAOIJ)(*

Anyway, it's done. I'm going to take a break and eat and then rush through the story so I can get the True Cheater ending.

• Options
    I think I'm gonna go have a beer to celebrate. I usually don't drink at home, but fuck it.

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote:
    49gsbu.jpg

Nice cake. Too bad it's nothing compared to
    This
    Catherine-Iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg
    If you could have this made in real life (and you probably could with the right amount of money) I would probably cry from happiness.

BTW, Vincent's pointing at the cake and telling Mutton, "I see what you did there." :p

Wait, there are pictures and shit during the credits?! God damnit! I've skipped those every time!

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    Somebody mentioned those meteors during the last boss? Fuck em. Fuck em so hard. I also thought they couldn't actually hit you until I was doing pretty well and then all of a sudden the block I was climbing turned red and I died. It's like a 5% chance that they'll even hit the field, and if they do it's almost guaranteed to go right where you are. They really are just to mess up gold runs.

• Options
    Honestly, I did not have any problems with the meteors during my little Gold retry run there. The lightning though? Well, read my spoiler above. FUCK THE LIGHTNING.

• Options
    Oh yeah, that happened so many times to me as well during my actual run. When I finally beat that level I got a gold so I was extremely happy, because it meant I was done with that shit until hard.

• Options
    I don't think I will play through this on Hard. I think I've had enough. I will attempt to suffer through Babel, but that's about it.

• Options
    I'm sure I'll learn to hate the meteors during my gold run, but not nearly as much as I do and will hate
    DUMAZID BEAM!

• Options
    I'm sure I'll learn to hate the meteors during my gold run, but not nearly as much as I do and will hate
    DUMAZID BEAM!

Honestly,
    9-6 is nothing. Dumazid doesn't do much of anything.

9-5 is the trouble level in Empireo.

That's totally my own experience, granted, but 9-6 was one of the easiest levels for me.

• Options
    DUMAZID BEAM!
    Dumazid Beam only really comes if you're taking too long. As long as you make steady progress he should only use it once. I don't know if it's possible to never see it, but when I was going really fast he still used it in one section all the time. At least Dumazid Beam doesn't kill your combo by forcing you to stand somewhere else so that he won't destroy the foundation for the wall you're trying to scale with a bullet.

• Options
    Gilder wrote:
    DUMAZID BEAM!
    Dumazid Beam only really comes if you're taking too long. As long as you make steady progress he should only use it once. I don't know if it's possible to never see it, but when I was going really fast he still used it in one section all the time. At least Dumazid Beam doesn't kill your combo by forcing you to stand somewhere else so that he won't destroy the foundation for the wall you're trying to scale with a bullet.
    I don't think he used it at all in my final run. But I don't really remember. I think it's possible that he doesn't use it. It's just another ability.

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    Gilder wrote:
    DUMAZID BEAM!
    I don't think he used it at all in my final run. But I don't really remember. I think it's possible that he doesn't use it. It's just another ability.
    If I remember correctly he would always use it once I'd been dealing with the random blocks a while and got to that part with a small staircase of spike traps. Around there he would always use it for me. As long as I was quick in the beginning though he would never use it. If I hung around I was screwed because I think they figure that the whole point of the beginning area is to find the spring blocks.

• Options
    Also, you guys are aware of this exploit, right? I mean...don't read this if you actually want getting Golds on Normal, Easy, or Very Easy to be less of a challenge.

I discovered this on my own, but I'm sure I'm not the only one:
    If you hit UNDO, your combo timer will reset to MAX. That means that if you are getting low on your timer you can pull out a block and immediately UNDO it. You will be back to where you were a second ago, but your timer will be MAXed out.

Obviously, this will not work on Hard difficulty.

And another exploit:
    You can sometimes force a boss into using a different ability. Is Mutton bugging the shit out of you with his revolver? Hit UNDO twice and he might perform a kick instead and then leave you alone.

All that stuff is a little cheap, but I can only tolerate so much frustration in a game.

• Options
    Honestly, I assumed that first one was an intentional function of the design. You can bet I'll be using the hell out of it.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Psh I say! Psh and tosh! To use those exploits would require me to break my personal vow to never use that function. I must be smart enough to do things on my own and quick enough to deal with whatever comes my way, all in one fell swoop! I wonder if that's why I had so much trouble....

Gilder on
  • Options
    By the way, a trick about that boss:
    I finally discovered after getting kicked too damn many times that the block he will kick is the square you are standing on as soon as he says "UH" It doesn't change. You can stand on the block directly to the left or right totally safely.

• Options
    Honestly, I assumed that first one was an intentional function of the design. You can bet I'll be using the hell out of it.
    I'm willing to bet it was just cheaper at run time to grant a max combo timer than to store the exact percentage of the timer at each UNDO checkpoint.

Though maybe not because from a programming perspective that would just be one variable...

• Options
    Well, I'm going to go reward myself with the true cheater ending now that I can skip all the puzzle sections.

Good luck, folks.

• Options
    I'm surprised Atlus USA didn't fix the exploit that you can press the guide button to pause the game and let you see the puzzle. Can't PS3 games be programmed to have the guide button actually pause the game?

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    DUMAZID BEAM!

The curse is worse. MUCH worse. To be even more annoying he curses you and and then makes Spike Blocks on either side of you while you are climbing. I died TWICE thanks to that damn tactic.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    As someone who's more a dabbler in puzzlers, I wasn't sure about this game, so I gave it a rent.

I must say I fell in love with this game. The story, the characters, the charming style, the addictive gameplay... Everything! It's one fantastic package. The characters are especially endearing.

It's a shame I have to take this back tomorrow. I'll be picking it up for another playthrough sometime soon, that's for sure.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    DUMAZID BEAM!

The curse is worse. MUCH worse. To be even more annoying he curses you and and then makes Spike Blocks on either side of you while you are climbing. I died TWICE thanks to that damn tactic.

IMO...
    ...I like the curse. It has a set block cycle. I forget what it is offhand, but if you look there is a pattern. For instance, I know that the Monster block always changes into the Spring block.

People seem to think it's random. I just checked the FAQ on GameFAQs and it says that the curse turns special blocks into a random other special block, but I didn't find that to be the case.

You can easily exploit the curse to get the blocks you want. Especially if you fuck around with UNDO on Normal and below.

Drez on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am so glad to see this game doing well.

So glad.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Drez wrote:
    DUMAZID BEAM!

IMO...
    ...I like the curse. It has a set block cycle. I forget what it is offhand, but if you look there is a pattern. For instance, I know that the Monster block always changes into the Spring block.

People seem to think it's random. I just checked the FAQ on GameFAQs and it says that the curse turns special blocks into a random other special block, but I didn't find that to be the case.

You can easily exploit the curse to get the blocks you want. Especially if you fuck around with UNDO on Normal and below.

Didn't somebody say the curse randomly stops you from moving? As in you'll be climbing, the block turns into spikes, and then Vincent just stops for no reason and you die. I didn't think it contributed to that other "randomness".

• Options
    Maybe I'll feel different while doing a gold run, but I didn't mind the curse that much. Once I got past that first checkpoint, that stage was really a piece of cake for me.

Speaking of the gold run, I just got the 3rd stage golded. I really enjoy what the score rush adds to the game. We'll see if I still feel that way when I take on night 4, which was the most challenging night for me.