As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Portland OR Pre-PAX Meet-Up(s)

2»

• gorgeousplanetgorgeousplanet Meat Popsicle OregonRegistered User regular
    Alright! Wednesday night is confirmed, and Friday will be also, once we hammer out more details. :)

• ShadowMattShadowMatt Registered User regular
    Why would I suggest Google+ without offering invites? Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll add you to my PAX circle!

tick.jpg
    Goodbye, plucky, pimply teen. I think you're ready now to hear the truth. This wasn't really a magic hubcap. The magic was inside you all along.
  • AtratyysAtratyys Registered User regular
    Feel free to add me on G+, if we get everyone on we can do hangouts too, haha

CA CAW! 2013 Ravenclaw: Order of the Phoenix

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • sociald1077sociald1077 Registered User regular
    So will there be some kind of table or area for PAXers? I can't say I know anyone going to this personally. Do I need to wear a hat that says "I'm a here for the PAX meet up" and have flashing lights on it? How will we know where to get started?

What did the 0 say to the 8? Nice belt!
    With some behind the scenes conversations going on, I am prepared to hand down my glorious royal edict to you all.

For the first true Pre-PAX Portland Meet-Up of 2011 that will occur on the twenty-ninth of July in the year of our Lord two thousand eleven we shall convene for dinner at Shanghai Tunnel before continuing on to Ground Kontrol.

Bring quarters for GK and be ready to have some fun, we will be doing dunner at 7 and be moving over to GK afterwards until everyone gets sick of looking at each other. The event linked in the OP has been edited to reflect this update of location. Cheers PAXlandians.

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
    So will there be some kind of table or area for PAXers? I can't say I know anyone going to this personally. Do I need to wear a hat that says "I'm a here for the PAX meet up" and have flashing lights on it? How will we know where to get started?

For Wednesday, just walk around shouting PAX, that's how we gathered the troops in '09 (more seriously there will likely be a group of us bogarting a table all night, I'll try to remember to wear my PAX'10 shirt to make us more easily recognizable). For Friday look for the group of nerds at Shanghai.

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • artrulzartrulz Registered User regular
    You're all set for drink discounts on Friday 7/29. I will probably be around late-ish but I'll remind the bar staff.

Please tell them you're here for the "PAX meetup" and they can give you a wrist band for discounts.

Thanks!

Will work for quarters.
  • TeknotronicTeknotronic Registered User regular
    Art you are the man. My friends and I found our special Ground Kontrol pins from '09 so we will be sporting them with pride this Wed/Fri!

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Atratyys wrote:

For Wednesday, just walk around shouting PAX, that's how we gathered the troops in '09 (more seriously there will likely be a group of us bogarting a table all night, I'll try to remember to wear my PAX'10 shirt to make us more easily recognizable). For Friday look for the group of nerds at Shanghai.

Or just look for the loud redhead. =P

Mogs wrote:
    Or just look for the loud redhead. =P

But never (under any circumstances) follow drunk Mogs.

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
    artrulz wrote:
    You're all set for drink discounts on Friday 7/29. I will probably be around late-ish but I'll remind the bar staff.

Please tell them you're here for the "PAX meetup" and they can give you a wrist band for discounts.

Thanks!

Awesome man, see you Friday!

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • GhandiGhandi Registered User regular
    I would love to meetup but sadly those accompanying my are under 21.

xbl: Ghandi5
    steam: Nemesis_21
    origin: Ghandi5
    twitter: @maxaguirre5

RCTID
  • DyanneNovaDyanneNova Registered User regular
    I'd love to come to the meetup tonight! I'm actually from Bellingham, WA, but I'm in town for OSCON until Friday morning, and would love to hang out with fellow PAX goers ^_^

DyanneNova wrote:
    I'd love to come to the meetup tonight! I'm actually from Bellingham, WA, but I'm in town for OSCON until Friday morning, and would love to hang out with fellow PAX goers ^_^

The more the merrier! I don't think any of us mind that you aren't REALLY a PDX Pax'er. We could give you honorary status for the evening :-P

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    so how did the pre-meetup go??

• AndymanAndyman Registered User regular
    Holy crap, how did i not see this post before?! How was Wednesday? I wish i would have found this thread before i did absolutely nothing last night. Is it too late to put the names of myself and possibly my two buddy's in for Friday? I have never been to GK but i want to go to there.

Andyman wrote:
    Holy crap, how did i not see this post before?! How was Wednesday? I wish i would have found this thread before i did absolutely nothing last night. Is it too late to put the names of myself and possibly my two buddy's in for Friday? I have never been to GK but i want to go to there.

Never too late to join the fun, hope to see you on Friday. Wednesday was a blast.

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
    Solelron wrote:
    so how did the pre-meetup go??

Pre-Meetup went great. I think about 10 of us or so showed up? Good times.

Tonight's the night for the First Official meetup :-) Hope to see you all there!

Tonight's the night for the First Official meetup :-) Hope to see you all there!

Indeed!

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • ninjahqninjahq Registered User regular
    PAX snuck up on me! I didn't even think to start looking at when meetups would be.
    I can't make it tonight, but hopefully there will be one more before PAX? :)
    I'll keep my eyes peeled!

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Just in case anyone's having trouble finding us, we're downstairs in the corner at Shanghai.

• ExbitionExbition Registered User new member
    We need to do this for East!

ninjahq wrote:
    PAX snuck up on me! I didn't even think to start looking at when meetups would be.
    I can't make it tonight, but hopefully there will be one more before PAX? :)
    I'll keep my eyes peeled!

I'll try to have more than just one more before PAX, keep your eyes peeled.

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
    A trip to OMSI's Game-On is tentatively planned for Friday the 12th

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • PJSkittlesPJSkittles Registered User new member
    I would love to go to the meet ups and all, but I currently dont even have a PAX ticket :( . Iv been trying to win one from halowaypoint on twitter but thats a long shot lol.

• ddrlegsddrlegs Registered User regular
    Atratyys wrote:
    A trip to OMSI's Game-On is tentatively planned for Friday the 12th
    Yes please! I love OMSI!

Also, hello fellow PDX PAX people. Couldn't make it to the previous meet-ups as I've been dealing with vertigo for about a month, but it seems to have cleared up. So, tentatively will see some of you on the 12th if things pan out!

• John_FN_SeilerJohn_FN_Seiler Registered User regular
    I'm down with that. Sounds like tons of fun.

Listen to Spoiler Alert on KSUA 91.5FM at http://ksua.uaf.edu/ Every Tuesday 8 PM-10PM (9-11 PM Pacific). It's a Talk show about games, movies, comics, wrestling, TV and everything in between.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spoiler-Alert-KSUA-915-FM/129190520480743
    It's looking more like Saturday the 13th instead.

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
    So Thursday night is second Thursday Free Play at GK again, a handful of us should be there. You know what that means? Time for the second unofficial Portland Pre-PAX meet-up, yup. Making the event now.

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • _eileen___eileen__ Registered User new member
    July 29th, really? The one weekend I skip out on GK..of course

This is an amazing idea! I knew there had to be people in Portland going to PAX. I will definitely see you guys at GK in the near future!

P.S. Anybody willing to carpool?

We broke 40 people in the Facebook group just a few minutes ago, I'd like to have more than 50 by the time PAX rolls around, get all your PAX friends to join the group!

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • markdagomarkdago Registered User regular
    Hey there! We are headed up to Seattle from SLC. We will be playing (Music) @:

Wednesday, August 24th:
    Rotture
    15 SE 3rd Ave
    Portland, OR

Thursday, August 25th:
    The Beaterville Cafe
    2201 N Killingsworth St
    Portland, OR

And here is some FREE music from us:
    rottenmusicians.bandcamp.com

*Let us know the skinny on Portland, OR...I've never been.

Hey guys, we have some exciting things on the horizon for Portland PAX.

First off we will be having a game for buttons with our handy dandy new logos: http://semitechnical.com/PAX/button_game.html

And you can order yourself a t-shirt with the shell logo if you want, ask about it in the FB group if you're interested.

Beyond the button game there are ideas for other quests being brainstormed for your fun throughout PAX. Hope to see many of you at the Train our Omeganaut party on Friday, otherwise we'll see you at PAX!

Train our Omeganaut: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=258825170813245

AsyXe.jpgpCwR3.jpg
  • itchbayitchbay Self-Rescuing Princess Registered User regular
    Can I sneak in a small slightly OT question? We have a 1.5 hour layover in Portland on Monday. Having never been to Portland, let alone the Portland Airport, is there anything we should try to do while we're there? Anyone wanna get a drink/lunch at/near the airport?

Not *that* kind of princess.
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    I don't think 1.5 hours is enough to leave the airport and get back through security, especially considering that boarding starts 30 minutes before takeoff.

E6LkoFK.png

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    I don't think 1.5 hours is enough to leave the airport and get back through security, especially considering that boarding starts 30 minutes before takeoff.

Unfortunately there's also nothing near the airport. Downtown is a 45 minute train ride away.

Stop by the Rogue or the Laurelwood pubs in the airport for a good brew!

Nothing. Matters.
  • ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    itchbay wrote:
    Can I sneak in a small slightly OT question? We have a 1.5 hour layover in Portland on Monday. Having never been to Portland, let alone the Portland Airport, is there anything we should try to do while we're there? Anyone wanna get a drink/lunch at/near the airport?

I don't know what time your lay over is, but the trip from the airport to downtown Portland is about 20 minutes on a good day, and that is just getting to the edge of the city. I suppose people could come see you at the airport, there are some nice places to eat and drink, maybe play a game or two. Other than that, doesn't look like you have enough time.

3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    itchbay wrote:

The good news is that PDX Airport has a rule that the prices of stuff in the terminal must be the same as prices at establishments outside the terminal. So you're not going to get gouged on food and drink in the airport. And hey, no sales tax.

I suggest Gustav's in Concourse C for sit down kind of food/drinks, Pizza Schmizza or Good Dog, Bad Dog is good for fast grab and go. Concourse A has an outpost of Laurelwood Brewing, which is one of my favorite brewers in town, and Rogue in Concourse D is usually packed, for what I think is a good reason.

Powell's Books has a shop in Concourse C, it's not quite like the big downtown store but it's still got a great selection of books.

Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++