As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superman: Man of Tomorrow! (and his dog)

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kate Beaton's take on Lois Lane:

loislanesm.png

TexiKen on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The last one is best

Solar on
    edited May 2011
    Superboy #7 was kind of a let down issue, as it's
    a dream sequence caused by Black Mercy's (or here Red Mercy's, which would probably be those hybrids from Tomasi's GLC run)

And apparently Superboy and Steel live through Reign of Doomsdays, since this takes place afterwards.

Marco Rudy had a nice painted effect for half the issue, and Tim really seems to get the best alternate universe costumes out of anyone in the DCU.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2011
    Action Comics #901 was......average.

I can't really say it's bad, but Cornell needs to work on his Superman. I do enjoy a funny Superman who can banter with everyone else in the middle of Doomsdays, yet every joke here felt stunted, as though they were added after the fact. The new villain also looks like some mix between any generic shooter game released these days and an 80's metal cover.

Rocafort also can't draw the whole issue, making me wonder if we'll get some of those last minute substitutes we always get from DC and Marvel where they don't tell anyone.

TexiKen on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This Doomsday situation sounds like the rawest of deals.

Pretty excited for some of these weaker titles to hopefully be rebooted in September, including all the Superbooks except Superboy, and maybe JLA as well.

HadjiQuest on
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Not sure if all of you guys check out the action figures thread, but I figured I'd post this here if anyone was interested. Hot Toys just unveiled their 1/6 scale Christopher Reeve Superman figure, which is releasing in December and just went up for pre-order through Sideshow Collectibles today.
    htsupermanpr6.jpg
    htsupermanpr7.jpg
    htsupermanpr9.jpg
    htsupermanpr11.jpg
    htsupermanpr15.jpg

cr0w on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That warms my cold heart

Algertman on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's an eerily handsome figure.

Robos A Go Go on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Instabought. Thank heaven for reward points.

Wildcat on
    edited May 2011
    The skin tone is lovely.

Solar on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow, that's really impressive.

CyberJackal on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow...just...wow.

I think that figure really, really properly conveys how to make Superman work as a character design. Look at it! No exaggerated muscle mass, no massive crumbling rock formation/asteroid/building/machine/whatever to hide behind/under/punch through. It's just the man alone. No gimmicks, no action sequence, just Superman on his own.

I never realized the proportion of the cape before, how it fits relative to the height of the boots. It makes perfect sense. The 'flight' pic totally sells it.

Linespider5 on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Something fishy happened with Superman 712

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/news/new-contents-announced-for-superman-712

They're pulling Roberson for that issue and putting in an unused Krypto story by Busiek, then letting Roberson on for the last two issues. "DC Comics determined that the previously solicited story did not work within the "Grounded" storyline."

Lux on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    fucking finally we get the Busiek Krypto issue

Garlic Bread on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lux wrote: »
    Something fishy happened with Superman 712

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/news/new-contents-announced-for-superman-712

They're pulling Roberson for that issue and putting in an unused Krypto story by Busiek, then letting Roberson on for the last two issues. "DC Comics determined that the previously solicited story did not work within the "Grounded" storyline."

But he was already violating the core principle of Grounded!
    By not sucking.

chiasaur11 on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What was the originally planned story?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2011

The one in LA with Sharif in what was surely going to be a Very Important Lesson in prejudice if it stayed in JMS's hands.
    superman_712.jpg

Lux on
    edited June 2011
    I wonder what the deal was.

That fill-in is another one of those legendary lost issues. I may get it, but it's funny that they sat on it so long that it's set during Infinite Crisis. I almost wish they had sat on it another 5 years.

HadjiQuest on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

The one in LA with Sharif in what was surely going to be a Very Important Lesson in prejudice if it stayed in JMS's hands.
    superman_712.jpg

but

but

Sharif don't like it!

Furu on
    edited June 2011
    Oh my God the Krypto issue! That makes me so happy.

TexiKen on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Furu wrote: »

superman_712.jpg

but

but

Sharif don't like it!

:^:

Wildcat on
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Back when, judging by the 'net, DC was cowardly and venal for not printing my Krypto story. Now they're cowardly and venal for printing it

It's win/win!

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    edited June 2011
    Having read the issue now, I have no idea why DC didn't publish it to begin with. Especially during that period after OYL where the Superman books were always delayed and you had a nice fill-in issue ready to go.

It's a very good, touching story that didn't seem to step on any toes regarding copyrights or whatever. Why keep such a good book in the shelf for so long?

TexiKen on
    edited June 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Having read the issue now, I have no idea why DC didn't publish it to begin with. Especially during that period after OYL where the Superman books were always delayed and you had a nice fill-in issue ready to go.

It's a very good, touching story that didn't seem to step on any toes regarding copyrights or whatever. Why keep such a good book in the shelf for so long?

Didn't it have to do with the Superboy copyright battle or something?

Rich Johnston claims that it had to do with Superman saving a cat out of a tree, which was deemed too wholesome/wussy/whatever for the character.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/showthread.php?44779-Superman-712-Not-Changed-Over-Muslim-Content.-But-Over-Kitten-Content.

It reads like an April Fool's article.

Lux on
    edited June 2011
    Nothing in the issue seemed to indicate Superboy, unless Krypto himself is part of the copyright battle (but he was created by Swan and Binder), and if Superboy/Superman Prime was allowed to run around in Countdown and Sinestro Corps War, it just makes this seem the odd dog out.

And I can believe the Superman kitty thing, because it's not as cool or hip as battle armor Superman, or Superman fighting 100 Doomsdays wowie! Cats are made as weapons in this new DCU, not affectionate pets!

TexiKen on
    edited August 2011
    I picked up the final issue of grounded out of curiosity, and enjoyed it quite a bit. It wasn't a perfect book, but it was clear to me that Roberson had completely turned it around from how it was when I stopped reading under JMS. The ending was silly silver-age stuff that essentially made the whole story pointless, but in a lot of ways I really liked that. It felt true to the character.

And it also did a great job as a "last ever" Superman story as well, so I had to wonder if Roberson and Igle intended that and had lead time to make it that way after learning about the reboot.

I'll try and summarize the ending for those who are curious, but I'm not going to do a great job because I've only read summaries since issue 2.

This summary is pretty detailed, but I'm not sure how accurate all the references to past issues are.
    Some lady kidnaps Lois, and Superman comes to her rescue. Superman and the Lady fight. As they're fighting, to prevent damage to the city, Superman calls out to the Superman Squad, who he says have promised to watch over him since they appeared at the beginning of Roberson's run. A lightning door to the still zone opens. The lady has Kryptonian powers, so Superman wonders if she is a survivor from New Krypton. Instead, she's a science teacher from Danville Ohio who unfortunately picked up a telepathic sun-stone from the debris of New Krypton just as Superman was walking by early on in his journey. The sunstone, not designed for human physiology, sucked all of the depression and self doubt Superman was feeling at the time into the teacher, and also created a psychic and physical bond between them where she could implant things in his mind and also leach his powers for herself. Because the stone acted as an emotional amplifier, and the teacher couldn't handle it, she essentially became purely the negative, depressed and doubting aspects of Superman's conscious, and because she couldn't handle it, she used her bond to make Superman doubt himself, hear and see only the negative things around him, and sometimes even see things that weren't there at all.

Superman explains that the sunstone damaged and corrupted her, and that he has finally accepted his losses and learned to properly grieve and move on with his life. The teacher says that Superman can't destroy her, because he can't possibly destroy the sunstone that connects the two of them. So instead, Superman takes a hold of the crystal and begins to charge it with his own hope, as well as his reaffirmed beliefs in truth, justice, and the American way. The positive emotions are so intense that they shatter the sunstone and send fragments throughout the timestream. Shattered fragments rain throughout history, creating powerful, courageous and just heroes from the beginning to the end of time. I read this in a Morrisonian way as the residual power essentially creating the idea of a "hero;" it all comes from the courage and emotional and physical strength and hope that radiated from Superman into the crystal and then into the timestream. Superman answers the Superman Squad's question of "must there be a Superman" with a definite "Yes, and there always will be."

Superman brings the teacher to a hospital, and then returns to Lois, promising that she will never lose him. As he travels back to metropolis, he makes many stops along the way, giving signal watches to the many heroes whom he has met along the way, as well as those who are already his family (Supergirl, Superboy, Steel). Among them is a reformed version of Livewire, wearing the electric blue Superman suit from the 90s.

It's explained that this is the origin of the Superman Squad.

As for the teacher? She's the masked lady leading the Squad.

So, yeah. After summarizing it, it was pretty incredible. I really wish Roberson was writing a title for the new DCU.

HadjiQuest on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    holy shit

that is amazing

Baw

Roberson's twitter says he was planning to pitch a Supermen of American book before he found out about the reboot. It would have told tales of the early days of the Superman Squad, and served as a Superman family book with Kon, Kara, Kal and Krypto as well as Steel and the entire expanded cast of heroes created in the Superbooks since they started.

That would've been incredible.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I need that comic, it sounds awesome.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    And it fits Superman.

I was looking at one of the Busiek issues from when Supes and Lois adopted a kid?

That fit too.

Ever since the... late Golden Age, Superman's seemed like someone who'll settle down with Lois, (or someone else, but the someone else shifts a lot more often than Lane and even the kids reading then noticed patterns), adopt or have a couple kids, and eventually, after a long career, semi-retire in a world that's a lot better than when he started.

Which makes the Morrison reboot bit look fine, as the early parts of Superman are interesting, and the other stuff look kinda dumb, as it's the forced delay (far as I can tell) of aspects of the narrative that fit in really well with how the characters work.

• GankGank Registered User regular
    I need that comic, it sounds awesome.

As do I. And I don't even get Superman right now.

galactussig-1.jpg
    That comic sounds fantastic

It actually was pretty good, although one thing it didn't do was try and erase the reason for walking to begin with, which means Superman #701 counts as far as it being the real Superman. And it does mention Truth, Justice, and the American Way in a positive light, twice!

The last page, of everything in the issue, did its best to be a sendoff to the current era of Superman, which was nice. Because this era of Superman was the best era, and always will be.

The issue by no means absolves Grounded, but Roberson at least realized he had to wrap up the story and at the same time not make Superman and Lois look like jerks in their final appearance.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    First official pic of Henry Cavill.

0804supes-big.jpg

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    does he have the trunks? i can't tell...

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    The thing that bugs me is that it seems like he lost his eyebrows

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    the washed out and faded look of the pic/angry determination is not exactly what I was hoping for

but I can deal

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    that cape is definitely way too long

it's like a Spawn-length cape

Centipede Damascus on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    It's such a dumb thing to nitpick over, but his hair's really bugging me.

• HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    i guess his hair is a little bit sienfeld or something

and the lighting does seem a bit extreme but this is a zack snyder thing so i guess that's to be expected

i like it though

i guess my basic reaction goes like

1 - does it look like superman
    2 - yes
    3 - okay we're good

dmsigsmallek3.jpg