As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Zeppel-On] The Saboteur: French star nipples and Nazi racing on Dec. 8

18910111214»

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Klash wrote: »
    The nazis also didn't employ zeppelins the size of Paris as floating fortresses to rain bullet-hell down on French resistance members. There also wasn't a huge, giant, cock-compensating cannon in the middle of Paris, blown up by a race car driver that could plummet off a rooftop and brush it off. The Saboteur relied on realism like gray scale relies on colour. I don't think an increase in maneuverability would break immersion, certainly not my immersion.
    That's why I said it was a "kinda sorta" realistic portrayal. There are fantastic elements involved, but Sean himself evidences practically none of them. Really, all he has going for him is a healing factor. He doesn't need to be spiderman to boot.
    In the end, it isn't that I want Sean to be Ezio, it's that I want a quick, precise, and fun manner of moving around Paris. The comparisons to Just Cause 2 or AC, would be that their movement systems were fluid and fun, despite being worlds apart in style. The Saboteur's movement was clunky and had zero sense of flow, because you couldn't really parkour across Paris.

I know it sounds like I'm dumping on The Saboteur, but I'm not. It wasn't a polished game, this is simple fact. I loved the game, I love open worlds like nothing else, and it manages to rank top 5 in open worlds for me. That doesn't mean I can't see the faults, and the parkour was one of those not-quite-right, unpolished spots. The entire game was unpolished, frankly.
    And what I'm saying is that the parkour wasn't ever going to be the focus of a game where you run around blowing up Nazi installations.

The climbing was clunky because it's clunky in real life, and it's not supposed to be your first option when it comes to evasion. If you're climbing, you're climbing toward something, not away from trouble.

To me, bagging on this game for lacking proper parkour is like bagging on Red Dead Redemption for not having enough alien cyborgs.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    And what I'm saying is that the parkour wasn't ever going to be the focus of a game where you run around blowing up Nazi installations.

The climbing was clunky because it's clunky in real life, and it's not supposed to be your first option when it comes to evasion. If you're climbing, you're climbing toward something, not away from trouble.

To me, bagging on this game for lacking proper parkour is like bagging on Red Dead Redemption for not having enough alien cyborgs.

I just... I don't agree with you. At all. We're gonna have to agree to disagree, while agreeing that punching a naht-zee with a sucker punch, stealing his uniform and twisting the neck of his general is awesome.

Also, extremely bummed at the lack of RDR on PC. Game looks like Rockstar's magnum opus. God damned love the Wild West.

Furthermore, if aliens and robots are good enough for Outlaws, then it's good enough for RDR. :P

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I just... I don't agree with you. At all. We're gonna have to agree to disagree, while agreeing that punching a naht-zee with a sucker punch, stealing his uniform and twisting the neck of his general is awesome.

Also, extremely bummed at the lack of RDR on PC. Game looks like Rockstar's magnum opus. God damned love the Wild West.

Furthermore, if aliens and robots are good enough for Outlaws, then it's good enough for RDR. :P
    See, my way of thinking on this is that Sean leaping from rooftop to rooftop willy nilly and free climbing his way up a wall at lightning speed makes no sense in a context where he's not actually presented as being good at that stuff for any reason. He's a mechanic/driver/hoodlum, not a cat burglar. The over the top roof running really only works if you've got in-world reasons for it to, like in Assassin's Creed. Otherwise it's an unexplained skillset that is completely out of place in the setting.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Everybody stop arguing and have a single-malt breakfast.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Finished with the game. 100% story missions, 100% freeplay missions, and platinum trophy achieved, so I think I've pretty well cleaned it out. Total playtime was about 52 hours or so. There was a lot of wasted time in the first 20 hours or so (once I figured out to tackle freeplay targets by sector instead of block my efficiency improved considerably), but I still think that I couldn't trim more than 10 hours or so off that mark.

Anyway, this was a really good game overall and I'm glad I came back to finish it off. The setting was fantastic and Pandemic did a great job of capturing what I can only imagine WW II-era occupied Paris felt something like. The weapons also felt appropriately meaty and the later guns really felt like they could rip through enemies. I also liked the interplay between freeplay targets and story missions; going through and clearing out various freeplay objectives from around your objective really made a notable difference and made things significantly easier to take out. I also loved how your actions really felt like they made a difference in the world.

Gripes? Mostly related to polish. Count me in with the group that thinks a smoother parkour system would have helped. I'm less concerned with realism and think more about what makes good gameplay, and making Sean climb buildings was pretty awkward for something you did so often. Even if the movement speed stayed low but it coped Assassin's Creed's "hold one button to climb" control it would have been a significant improvement. Animations were wonky (the sprint in particular looked ridiculous). Polish was an issue all around. Not only is there the infamous Super RDX glitch, but I also had five hard freezes over the course of the game (PS3 version), a mission where I died right at the end and didn't restore color to its area, hit detection issues (I'd get in an AA gun and start blasting at targets, but things that I could see couldn't be hit because the game didn't register hits that far out, so the explosion was behind my target but it remained standing), and a number of other issues all around. None were game-breakers, but they did get obnoxious.

The biggest problem though was a lack of focus. Paris as modeled was pretty damn big, but huge portions of it existed only to be filled with freeplay targets (the countryside area was particularly guilty of this). This then led to a truly absurd number of freeplay targets (I think the final tally is somewhere between 1300 and 1400). Meanwhile there were some pretty insubstantial throwaway story missions. A smaller city with fewer freeplay targets might have given more time to really polish out some of the above glitches and clean up the story missions as well.

Overall though it was a great game that I really enjoyed for the vast majority of the time I spent with it. It had its faults, but the strengths far outweighed them. I wish like hell we'd get a sequel, but as a swan song Pandemic definitely went out on a high note.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I thought the countryside was a nice change of pace from blowing stuff up in the crowded city. Just cruise along until you see a tower, jump out of the car, bomb the tower, get back in the car and drive off.

The little unofficial enclaves of Nazis can be a lot of fun to clear out, too. Your ability to walk like a Gerry gets put to the test when you're trying to RDX a half dozen semi-associated Nazi artifacts at the same time.

That's one of the things that I really like about this game as opposed to Just Cause 2 (which I also played the crap out of); there's an approach beyond the obvious "storm the base and kill everyone" option. The waves of base enemies or, even worse, constantly appearing cops were just too much for me in JC2. Death Touch one guy, take his uniform and then blow up the entire occupation without drawing heat, that's where it's at. I really hate unavoidable attention mechanics like Just Causes.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The little unofficial enclaves of Nazis can be a lot of fun to clear out, too. Your ability to walk like a Gerry gets put to the test when you're trying to RDX a half dozen semi-associated Nazi artifacts at the same time.

I liked that a lot of the perk unlocks sort of required these sorts of tactics as well.

I still really enjoy this game, because of that blending of various strategies.

LTM on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wish i didn't have the map bug. It's pretty fucking annoying

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    What's the map bug?

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh boy, just completed the Loose Lips mission. First found a general, gunned down his guards, beat him up, then stole his uniform and walked away just as a patrol pulled up and found three bodies, one of them missing his clothes, and a general walking off.
    Then got to the concert, walked backstage, shot the singer with a silenced pistol, which made the Nazis slightly suspicious that a plot may be afoot. I distracted them with a grenade, then stole the locket and walked past them all.

Then I noticed the explosive barrels and I realized there was a much better way to do that mission, especially since I got the perk allowing me to plant dynamite without being suspicious.

Is there a way to replay missions?

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Not as far as I know, no.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    Oh boy, just completed the Loose Lips mission. First found a general, gunned down his guards, beat him up, then stole his uniform and walked away just as a patrol pulled up and found three bodies, one of them missing his clothes, and a general walking off.
    Then got to the concert, walked backstage, shot the singer with a silenced pistol, which made the Nazis slightly suspicious that a plot may be afoot. I distracted them with a grenade, then stole the locket and walked past them all.

Then I noticed the explosive barrels and I realized there was a much better way to do that mission, especially since I got the perk allowing me to plant dynamite without being suspicious.

By the way, that's almost exactly how I did that mission, although I don't think I went to the lengths of using a General's uni. So I'm awarding you a +2 for tactics. :^:

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Chris FOM wrote: »
    What's the map bug?

The layers of the map (the back texture with the actual map and the transparent layer with the area borders and freeplay targets) move and zoom independently, so they're never aligned.

I hear that it gets fixed if I move down to 1280, but shit, 1280 sucks.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Chris FOM wrote: »
    What's the map bug?

The layers of the map (the back texture with the actual map and the transparent layer with the area borders and freeplay targets) move and zoom independently, so they're never aligned.

I hear that it gets fixed if I move down to 1280, but shit, 1280 sucks.

You suck, you silly Brazilian. Ain't nothing wrong with 1280.
    When you have no choice

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Man i have a billion MOAR pixels
    I have 1920x1080 dawg!

That's like ALL the pixels
    Why should I go 1280x720 like some lazy Isy?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Rub it in. I thought you guys were cool. You're going under France on my cool nations list.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    SammyF wrote: »
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

By the way, that's almost exactly how I did that mission, although I don't think I went to the lengths of using a General's uni. So I'm awarding you a +2 for tactics. :^:
    I snagged a Gerry uniform and planted all of my RDX in the crowd of Nazis, saving one for directly behind the podium.

I suspect they probably could have seen that explosion from space.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just shot her whilst lurking on the rooftops and then started lobbing grenades into the crowd.

It might not be particularly subtle, but it's a strategy I enjoy using.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    You know, I've never really given much thought to the music in The Saboteur but it really does stay with you.

I was in a shop yesterday buying up stuff for my computer when 'Feeling Good' started playing. I was instantly transported back to memories of gunning down Nazi's, Planting high explosives and burning rubber away from whatever scene of carnage I'd just caused.

I actually stood stock still in the middle of store just listening until the song was over and then made my purchases and left the store with a smile on my face. It's been a long while since a song has done that to me.

I have little to add other than this exact thing happened to me at Fazoli's a few days back. I can't remember another game with such a perfect sense of mood and setting, and I've played some real winners on that front.

As far as Loose Lips, I was as unsubtle as it gets. Take the singer out with an unsilenced sniper rifle, then dodge the Nazis so they don't know where I am. Afterwards take a zip line down to the singer's body and grab the locket. Pull out my Tommy Gun and blast the shit out of everyone between me and the exit.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Whatever mission has you kill the Nazi guy at the wedding was the best
    I had just gotten the Tommy gun and was eager to try it out
    So I hide behind the alter, until the moment is right
    Then Sean pops out, mows down the crowd of Nazis, and as the rest of the audience is sitting in shock, covered in blood, he lights a cigarette and says
    "Consider that a fookin' divorce"

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Thread resurrection, ho!

I bought this game back around Christmas and just recently got around to playing it. Man, this is a better game than people have given it credit for, in my opinion. Just about everyone I talk to in person has never heard of the game, despite enjoying games that influenced it. Sure, it's not quite up to Assassin's Creed's level of traversal and climbing. It's not quite up to GTA's driving or shooting (which I liked, but I know some people didn't). It's not quite up to Uncharted's level of cinematics and set piece design. It's not quite up to Just Cause 2's level of ridiculous mayhem. But taken together and thrown in with a cool WWII Paris setting, and it becomes a game that I have poured 30 hours into without even realizing how much I have been playing it. Maybe 20 hours from now when I am sick of the freeplay targets, I might feel differently, but I have been having a blast just planting RDX at every Nazi installation I can find.

• Options
    I would buy this, but fuck Origin. The prices on other DD services is ridiculous too so its a no go for me sadly.

• Options
    I have recently restarted blowing up Nazis myself. I figure I probably ought to do a Feckin' Hard run since I haven't yet.

Honestly, with my typical playstyle it's not actually that much harder than any of the previous settings. If I'm in open conflict, it's probably because the quest calls for it.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote:
    I have recently restarted blowing up Nazis myself. I figure I probably ought to do a Feckin' Hard run since I haven't yet.

Honestly, with my typical playstyle it's not actually that much harder than any of the previous settings. If I'm in open conflict, it's probably because the quest calls for it.

I am pretty glad that the trophies don't require you to play it at a higher difficulty level. I'm playing on Easy and I don't care who knows it. I like being able to experiment wildly with little danger of dying. But yeah, especially once you get the perk to allow you to plant explosives while disguised, it isn't too often that you need to be in open conflict.

• Options
    Just started it up again. Love it. It's pretty much a timeless game for me.

• Options
    Okay so now I have a semi decent monitor that does 1080p.... I can see why the map bug is frustrating. Holy balls they messed that up big time. Luckily I rarely use main maps so I can now shit up perfectly fine.