As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War

• projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Buy this or buy advent children?

I am just worried about this games lengh

projectmayhem on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited April 2006

This one is longer then the other games.
    I was always very satisfied with the games length. I'd say it's not a problem.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006

Get both dude.

That's what I'm doing. I think ace combat is longer than advent children anyway :o

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    it kills me that this isnt online..... absolutely, missle up my tailpipe, kills me.

Ubisoft's making an online fighter jet game.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited April 2006
    Cantido wrote:
    it kills me that this isnt online..... absolutely, missle up my tailpipe, kills me.

Not for PS2.. this makes me a sad panda.
    Never do that again without telling me the system first. You'll be the death of me.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Cantido wrote:

Not for PS2.. this makes me a sad panda.
    Never do that again without telling me the system first. You'll be the death of me.

It's for 360, which is fine and good.

Except my flight stick won't work with it.

Which makes me cry.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Shadowfire wrote:
    Ah_Pook wrote:
    how much is a flight stick? worth it?

Check your local EB. Apparently, because of the whacky conversion, $17.99 (no guarantee it's in stock, though).

And worth it? Fuck yes.

holy moly, gonna have to check EB for that

ace combat 5 is really fun so far, thanks thread

Ah_Pook on
  • blinkeblinke Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Ah_Pook wrote:
    Shadowfire wrote:
    Ah_Pook wrote:

Check your local EB. Apparently, because of the whacky conversion, $17.99 (no guarantee it's in stock, though).

And worth it? Fuck yes.

Uhh, the flight stick + AC5 was about $125 when I got it.. doubtful that the price would fall that much.

blinke on
    edited April 2006
    xilasrn wrote:
    Ah_Pook wrote:
    Shadowfire wrote:
    Ah_Pook wrote:

And worth it? Fuck yes.

Uhh, the flight stick + AC5 was about $125 when I got it.. doubtful that the price would fall that much.

I just bought it. -shrug-

Shadowfire on
  • blinkeblinke Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    So how much does this game cost?

I ask this because the store I went to only rang it up as 39.99, and that seemed a little.. strange for a brand new ps2 game.

blinke on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    it costs... 39.99

Ah_Pook on
  • DralloDrallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Just beat 5, this is probably one of the best games that Namco has ever made.

Zero will be purchased this summer once I've 100%'d 5.

Drallo on
    katamarisig.jpg
    edited April 2006
    I skipped 5, I'm playing zero now though. I'm on the...4th (?) 5th(?) misson, the second mission that you run into a couple of Aces--"boss" fighters, they have much better planes than you (these had SU-37s, I think I'm still using an F-16 at this point :? ), and they also actually have, oh, I don't know, skill. Aces tend to pop up at the end of a mission every few stages just to blast you out of the sky.

In this case I got cocky. I took one of em out pretty fast and since there's only two of them I thought it was over with. The other guy just kept dancing around me, I could barely even get a lock on him. But in the end I fucked up and did want he wanted, flying right at him. I should have known from how much I played 4 (the yellow squadron guys used the same make I think) that there's no way my plane had the range or the missiles to hit this guy before he hits me in a head on face off.

The Ace combat games don't really change that much on the whole with each one, but this one definitely seems a bit harder already.

Oh uhh, two more things:

I unlocked the X-02 I think after I beat the first stage.....is that just based on my AC4 saved game?

And uhh, my style ranking so far is "Soldier," don't know what to make of that. I've gotten S ranks on all the missions but I know that's seperate and more just about "how many guys did you take out beyond the necessary targets"

Alucard6986 on
  • Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ayY8qLF7sI&search=Ace%20Combat%20Zero

Concerning the early X-02 unlock - yeah, that's b/c you have AC4 save data. I unlocked the Falken instead.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I blew through the game in about 8 hours on hard mode. It was damn awesome.

Can't wait to go through playing as differnet kind of ace.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Drallo wrote:
    Just beat 5, this is probably one of the best games that Namco has ever made.

Zero will be purchased this summer once I've 100%'d 5.
    I think that's the best parts about 5.

The fact that you have to gain experience unlock planes just keeps you playing.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • SolSol Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I'm gonna pick this bad boy up tommorrow, hopefully I won't get that whole "Since you didn't pre-order it you can't buy it yet" crap from Gamestop.

Sol on
    edited April 2006
    Been powering through this game lately, I finally had enough money to pick up the X-02 after using the SU-37 for a while (don't know why they give it to you so early).

There were some pretty cool missions so far, I think they managed to come up with the hardest "dodge the crazy super weapon" stage, which isn't as simple as fly really low or fly really high. I died so many times I was screaming :?

Anyway, halfway through the game I've been more of a Knight. At first I didn't even realize that when a fighter turns yellow and they have smoke coming out the idea is that they are finished. But now I tend to spare em.

The last mission I did went cuckoo towards the end....mission...11? 12? 13? You're supposed to take out these bombers, one of which may have a nuke, but [realspoiler:0d0c8a297b]At one point things get really fucked up, maybe a nuke goes off, your screen goes bonkers and a shit ton of fighters come out of nowhere. I blasted through em, but I think my wingman switched sides during the confusion :shock:

Probably have to blast him out of the sky in a little while.[/realspoiler:0d0c8a297b]

Alucard6986 on
    edited April 2006
    I picked this up a bit less than two hours ago and am barely in Mission 8 and holy crap this game is awesome. The fights againts the other aces are really awesome, they fly significantly better than the rest of the AI guys. So far I haven't seen any of those interviews, when do they show up or wha?

So yeah....really good so far. :^:

Sol on
    edited April 2006
    Picked it up earlier today.
    I havn't gotten a chance to play much. I think I'll start over when I have some time alone, and hopefully throw it on hard. Though, I have to admit, I didn't think the Aces would be this good. Heck, even the regular AI is better, I love it.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
    edited April 2006
    Yeah, might reccomend playing hard if you're a vet, I've been getting all S's on normal way too easily.

I think I'm towards the end at this point, I'm on the mission with [spoiler:0fbe051cd8]The huge plane. I fucked up during the last part of the fight when you have to fly right at him in order to shoot at the cockpit[/spoiler:0fbe051cd8]

Alucard6986 on
    edited April 2006
    The "get X number of points" stages fucking suck. They are boring. :(

Otherwise, I love the game, though it does seem considerably shorter than AC5.

Shadowfire on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I was out of town all week so I missed out on this. But I picked it up on my way home. Will report back later.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • ObstSkwerlObstSkwerl Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Just got the game and blast through it tonight. The overall presentation of the game (especially how the final interview wraps things up is quite well done) The atmosphere is a LOT better than Ace Combat 5 as well.

ObstSkwerl on
    edited April 2006
    Granted I've only played 4 as well, but they really go to great pains to make you feel uncomfortable and unsure about what you're doing and whose side your on.

But they sort of throw that all out at tthe end when yet again you have to do another goddamn deathstar mission. I mean, if you're the bad guys, why do they have the superweapon :P ?

Alucard6986 on
    edited April 2006
    Just finished it. Great finale. One thing that irks me though: with new game plus, your style doesn't reset. So, if you're all the way to the right on say, knight, it will take quite a few missions before you can start doing a "mercenary" run. By the time you get there, you'll have already passed one of the missions where the aces you run into depends on what your style is. This is especially bad for me since at that point I think I was a soldier anyway and fought the soldier aces :?

Nonetheless, it seems impossible to actually do a clean soldier, mercenary, and knight game in at least 3 runs on one file.

Alucard6986 on
  • Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Man, fuck [spoiler:8d5abfba2d]Pixy[/spoiler:8d5abfba2d] and his homosexual burst missiles. Yes, they're that lame.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Hehehe. This game is absolutely sweet and absolutely short.

New Game + saves it, I'm going to crank the difficulty up and work on unlocking all the planes and switching ace styles.

AC4 is on my purchase list too.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
    edited April 2006
    I'm on mission 17, looks like I'll get through with a Knight ranking.

Sol on
    edited April 2006
    Man, fuck [spoiler:93124104ea]Pixy[/spoiler:93124104ea] and his homosexual burst missiles. Yes, they're that lame.

Yeah, he's such a cheap motherfucker.

[spoiler:93124104ea]if you're having any trouble getting into head-on faceoffs with him try flying in the opposite direction in order to bait him.[/spoiler:93124104ea]

Alucard6986 on
  • GageGage Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Just finished it. Great finale. One thing that irks me though: with new game plus, your style doesn't reset. So, if you're all the way to the right on say, knight, it will take quite a few missions before you can start doing a "mercenary" run. By the time you get there, you'll have already passed one of the missions where the aces you run into depends on what your style is. This is especially bad for me since at that point I think I was a soldier anyway and fought the soldier aces :?

Nonetheless, it seems impossible to actually do a clean soldier, mercenary, and knight game in at least 3 runs on one file.

I've gotten Supreme Mercenary and then Supreme Soldier on just two runs through the game, meeting all the rival aces for each of those ace styles.

The first two missions have enough yellow targets to shift your gauge from one ace style to the next, before meeting up with the first rival squadron. Then it's easy to maintain that style from there on out. It's probably not possible to go from extreme mercenary over to knight so quickly, though.

I'm about to go through again as a Knight Ace.

Gage on
    edited April 2006
    Hmm. I don't get how to really switch from Knight to Soldier though, they're barely different. I guess only shoot stuff that's absolutely necessary to the mission?

Alucard6986 on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    oh man on mission 3 I wasted all my QAAMs on those god damned mig 21s and then GRUN came in and fucking owned me.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2006
    Hmm. I don't get how to really switch from Knight to Soldier though, they're barely different. I guess only shoot stuff that's absolutely necessary to the mission?

There's only one simple difference between the three ace styles: how many yellow targets you kill.

For a merc, of course you kill as many as you can.
    As a knight, spare as many as you can.
    And despite all the say about "sticking to mission objectives and going after only reds", to stay a soldier you just kill approximately half the yellows.

Killing only red targets would pretty much never net you an S ranking.

Gage on
    edited April 2006
    Are S rankings even that important in this one? I got em almost all the time, but do they unlock anything like they did in 4 if you get absolutely all of em?

Soldier sounds like a pain in the ass :?

Maybe only shoot down neutralized planes, but not that many facilities?

Alucard6986 on
    edited April 2006
    Are S rankings even that important in this one? I got em almost all the time, but do they unlock anything like they did in 4 if you get absolutely all of em?

Soldier sounds like a pain in the ass :?

Maybe only shoot down neutralized planes, but not that many facilities?

Yeah it was a pain working toward Supreme Soldier. You have to end the game with the gauge almost at dead center of Soldier. Toward the end I had to take note of the number of yellows in the mission briefing and take a tally of yellow kills while fighting.

As for getting all S rankings, I'm not sure yet what it may unlock. Since it's there, I'm sure it leads to something, since the AC series is all about unlockables.

Gage on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Finished it in 2:15 on Normal. Knight. DEFINITELY bump the difficulty up to Hard if you're a vet.

Still, excellent game. Possibly the best music in an Ace Combat game to date. The Rival encounters are THE reason to play the game. To me, at least.

Will do another run-through as a Merc. Sometime.

Renzo on
    edited April 2006
    Yeah the music during the last fight is awesome.

I actually kinda went crazy and already did a supreme knight, supreme soldier, and supreme mercenary run over the last few days. Beat all of the aces and unlocked the secret stage.

As well as [spoiler:a2a64690d8]the falken and the morgan[/spoiler:a2a64690d8]

Alucard6986 on
    edited April 2006
    Gage wrote:
    The first two missions have enough yellow targets to shift your gauge from one ace style to the next, before meeting up with the first rival squadron. Then it's easy to maintain that style from there on out. It's probably not possible to go from extreme mercenary over to knight so quickly, though.

I destroyed every single target my second time through on the first two missions, and I did not make it out of Knight Ace in time to change the first set of aces. I'm now dead center on Soldier, but I'm going to have to get creative my third play through to meet the soldier aces and still get to Merc.

Shadowfire on
    edited April 2006
    Getting to supreme mercenary is quite easy though, simply destroying every yellow in a mission gets you over there pretty fast.

Alucard6986 on