As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Catherine - the new competitive hotness. Tournament Hype!

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Babel spoilers:
    Goodbye, fourth wall! 8->

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    Gilder wrote:
    Somebody mentioned those meteors during the last boss? Fuck em. Fuck em so hard. I also thought they couldn't actually hit you until I was doing pretty well and then all of a sudden the block I was climbing turned red and I died. It's like a 5% chance that they'll even hit the field, and if they do it's almost guaranteed to go right where you are. They really are just to mess up gold runs.

Right? Someone feels my pain.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
    edited August 2011
    Gilder wrote:
    Psh I say! Psh and tosh! To use those exploits would require me to break my personal vow to never use that function. I must be smart enough to do things on my own and quick enough to deal with whatever comes my way, all in one fell swoop! I wonder if that's why I had so much trouble....

Smart. Once you go to Hard you'll thank yourself. The way they changed it for English to make Normal so easy really makes Hard a way more jarring experience than it should be haha.

Edit! Also just the final two levels left to gold. Ugh. These man. These are the levels that I have been fucking dreading. ESPECIALLY THE UPCOMING ONE. The final I consider MUCH easier than the next.

Alright. Just the final level left to Gold on Hard. Fuck yes. This shit is going DOWN guys. It's going to happen. Maybe not tonight. I'm effing tired. But first thing in the morning. Oh my god yes it is. And then all I'll have left to do are the Babel missions.....uggghhhhhhh. Never going to get all 1000 achievement points.

mastrius on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Whoo, beat the game. There was one metaphorical hurdle near the beginning of the final stage, once I figured that out I was on fire. Got all the way up in one go. True Lover ending.

I beat the game again and got the true Cheater ending.

Um...wow.

Also picked up a few more trophies/achievements on the way.

edited August 2011
    Alright here we go. Time to start going for the final gold on Hard. If I ever finish it I'll let you know of course. I expect meteor-like anger. Fucking meteors.

I can already tell this will anger me. He's really using his goddamn beam so much more often than I remember. Not only that but this level is just so long it blows to go through.

mastrius on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    My copy won't be here this weekend.

I has a sad :(

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    Achievement Unlocked - The Golden Child - Earn Gold Prizes on all Hard difficulty stages.

YES!!!!! Suck THAT game! Oh man. Shaking right now. So intense. So happy.

mastrius wrote:
    Alright here we go. Time to start going for the final gold on Hard. If I ever finish it I'll let you know of course. I expect meteor-like anger. Fucking meteors.

I can already tell this will anger me. He's really using his goddamn beam so much more often than I remember. Not only that but this level is just so long it blows to go through.

I don't think I have the strength for that.

Also..
    I wonder what jukebox track that trophy unlocks.

Anyway, good luck.

mastrius wrote:
    Achievement Unlocked - The Golden Child - Earn Gold Prizes on all Hard difficulty stages.

Erp, bad timing with our posts.

Congrats!

Can you tell me the answer to the spoiler question there? :) I am curious.

edited August 2011
    Drez wrote:
    mastrius wrote:

Erp, bad timing with our posts.

Congrats!

Can you tell me the answer to the spoiler question there? :) I am curious.

Going to go look right now. Let us find out....

Oh and thanks! :)

Oh epic awesome.
    The opening to Persona 4. Pursuing My True Self. Least I believe that's the opening. It's been just so long. But pretty positive.

So fitting actually. Hahaha.

Now the damn Babel stages. I have the first done but...the other 3. There is not a big enough D: face in the world for this.

mastrius on
    Hells yeah Menhir conquered. Finally. not so bad as I remember...Weird. Have gotten better.

Now Obelisk. And then Axis Mundi. God. I think I can get Obelisk but Axis I don't know...

@mastrius: Cool. Thanks.

I tried Babel. I got to like 102 on Altar, but fuck it. I don't think I can do much more.

I did try Axis Mundi but all I got to was 20. I spent like five minutes collapsing the tower. :P

Drez wrote:
    @mastrius: Cool. Thanks.

I tried Babel. I got to like 102 on Altar, but fuck it. I don't think I can do much more.

I did try Axis Mundi but all I got to was 20. I spent like five minutes collapsing the tower. :P

Pretty goddamn much. Axis Mundi is ridonculous. I watched a video of it. It's some intense shit you need to do man. I intend on it though.

I might try it in co-op. You still get trophies for co-op Babel, right?

The goal is lower in co-op than in single player.

Drez wrote:
    I might try it in co-op. You still get trophies for co-op Babel, right?

The goal is lower in co-op than in single player.

Really? Hmm...

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I think you still get the trophy for clearing co-op, yes. And it's much easier, too. The block formations as well.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote:
    I think you still get the trophy for clearing co-op, yes. And it's much easier, too. The block formations as well.

If that's the case then I may just have to. Single Player Axis Mundi is just rigoddamndiculous.

Yeah. I'd be willing to play it with anyone who has the US PS3 version.

The only thing is, I don't have a voice headset so I'm not sure how we can communicate with each other. Does Catherine support voice chat? How does that work anyway?

Drez wrote:

The only thing is, I don't have a voice headset so I'm not sure how we can communicate with each other. Does Catherine support voice chat? How does that work anyway?

Think it's only local co-op :( Only online function is leaderboards sadly.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Local co-op only is such a wasted opportunity, but I can understand that it would have been a lot of programming effort not having done netcode before and the game being so quickly-paced.

mastrius wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Think it's only local co-op :( Only online function is leaderboards sadly.

God damn it.

I wonder how feasible it would be for me to control both characters. I do have two controllers.

I mean Babel is not SO fast that it would be impossible. Hell, maybe it would even be better.

Well I read that they're going to be turning Catherine into a franchise alongside SMT so think to the future. I'm sure now that they have all the building blocks (no pun intended) for a good game they can improve very much on this formula and create something epic with online functions too.

Drez wrote:
    I wonder how feasible it would be for me to control both characters. I do have two controllers.

I mean Babel is not SO fast that it would be impossible. Hell, maybe it would even be better.

I was thinking the same thing not long ago heh. I'm going to keep going until I can complete the Obelisk Solo at least. But Axis Mundi can suck it. Least the Obelisk has awesome music while you climb it. So if I fail it's like. Ok. Have music to listen to. It's ok. But Axis Mundi is just blah music. Sucks for such a long challenging stage.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Gilder wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    I'm sure I'll learn to hate the meteors during my gold run, but not nearly as much as I do and will hate
    DUMAZID BEAM!

The curse is worse. MUCH worse. To be even more annoying he curses you and and then makes Spike Blocks on either side of you while you are climbing. I died TWICE thanks to that damn tactic.

IMO...
    ...I like the curse. It has a set block cycle. I forget what it is offhand, but if you look there is a pattern. For instance, I know that the Monster block always changes into the Spring block.

People seem to think it's random. I just checked the FAQ on GameFAQs and it says that the curse turns special blocks into a random other special block, but I didn't find that to be the case.

You can easily exploit the curse to get the blocks you want. Especially if you fuck around with UNDO on Normal and below.

Didn't somebody say the curse randomly stops you from moving? As in you'll be climbing, the block turns into spikes, and then Vincent just stops for no reason and you die. I didn't think it contributed to that other "randomness".

Yeah, the block changing occurs AFTER he uses curse, which causes Vincent to occasionally throw his hands up in the air and freeze with pain momentarily. Horrible when combined with the block change because he likes to change normal blocks into spike blocks.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    Gilder wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    I'm sure I'll learn to hate the meteors during my gold run, but not nearly as much as I do and will hate
    DUMAZID BEAM!

The curse is worse. MUCH worse. To be even more annoying he curses you and and then makes Spike Blocks on either side of you while you are climbing. I died TWICE thanks to that damn tactic.

IMO...
    ...I like the curse. It has a set block cycle. I forget what it is offhand, but if you look there is a pattern. For instance, I know that the Monster block always changes into the Spring block.

People seem to think it's random. I just checked the FAQ on GameFAQs and it says that the curse turns special blocks into a random other special block, but I didn't find that to be the case.

You can easily exploit the curse to get the blocks you want. Especially if you fuck around with UNDO on Normal and below.

Didn't somebody say the curse randomly stops you from moving? As in you'll be climbing, the block turns into spikes, and then Vincent just stops for no reason and you die. I didn't think it contributed to that other "randomness".

Yeah, the block changing occurs AFTER he uses curse, which causes Vincent to occasionally throw his hands up in the air and freeze with pain momentarily. Horrible when combined with the block change because he likes to change normal blocks into spike blocks.

Yes. Yes he does. One time a block got changed into an immovable block on me while I was pushing it and then like....it made the spike trap noise and I exploded. It was the craziest thing. Maybe a glitch of some sort.

Also just got two fucking steps away from completing Obelisk and then lost it. Jesus. Christ. Ugh.....What a way to make me feel like ass.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    mastrius wrote:
    Well I read that they're going to be turning Catherine into a franchise alongside SMT so think to the future. I'm sure now that they have all the building blocks (no pun intended) for a good game they can improve very much on this formula and create something epic with online functions too.

This is the best news. I love this game so much and cannot wait for more like it.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Seems like a weird game to turn into a franchise. It's biggest selling point was that there were no other games like it.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    mastrius wrote:

Can't wait for Catherine 2: Orlando's Fishing Nightmare!

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I got all golds on normal last night. I don't know, but I was in the fucking zone up until the Clock Tower and then Empireo. Clock Tower I just stumbled a bit, but Empireo can fuck off. Those monster blocks are the worst thing. Yeah, yeah just go ahead and block me completely. Oh no, I don't mind you destroying the entire level by moving backwards. God. 9-3 for some reason was just a wall. I was stuck for an hour because I just could not remember how to climb it without losing the combo.

Say, speaking of 9-3, anyone want to know a little trick I discovered while stuck in it? It's oh so much fun. When you start the level choose either tower. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter which. Next, notice that the only things keeping the tower connected are 3 blocks at the base. Push those 3 blocks back. Have fun!*

*Note: May not actually be all that much fun. Level will probably become unbeatable after trick is performed. It is not recommended you do this while retrying stages from the phone for golds as I believe there is a strong chance of system freezing.

Gilder on
    @Gilder: Yeah I did that once out of anger. I did that a d watched the entire tower fall. I watched the final cube (the one you have to step on to complete the stage) fall past me. I grinned and said "fuck you, tower".

Interestingly, if you do this in Babel it seems as though the game will randomly generate a new block arrangement and drop it right in front of you. Or at least that's what it seemed to do for me.

Am I the only one who gets really thirsty after hearing the Alcohol facts? I really wanna try a Cuba Libre now....

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Am I the only one who gets really thirsty after hearing the Alcohol facts? I really wanna try a Cuba Libre now....

It tastes different once you know the origin.

Silas Brown on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    I finally got this game, it was the final copy. I have zero idea why i want to play this game other than giantbombs quicklook.

Should be interesting.

Barcardi wrote:
    I finally got this game, it was the final copy. I have zero idea why i want to play this game other than giantbombs quicklook.

Should be interesting.

Maybe it's the concept that attracts you? Or maybe it's Vincent's 30 different "Horrified" facial expressions.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular

It's not helping me stop my quest to find a whiskey I like. I'm a very picky person though so it's hard.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    That's just a Rum and Coke with lime.

Now that your "new posts" notification is empty, here's an interesting fact:

The "RUM COLA" neon sign in the Stray Sheep originally read "RUM COKE", but we finally wore down the artists into changing it by convincing them that Coca-Cola would sue the hell out of us if we let it remain. If you're sharp, you can still see that it reads "RUM COKE" in the animated (non-game engine) scenes in the bar. There are a number of stupid discrepancies between the CG and animated sections of the Stray Sheep that the artists were unwilling to change. Try to find them all!

And that has been your Catherine trivia for tonight.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Bursar wrote:
    That's just a Rum and Coke with lime.

Now that your "new posts" notification is empty, here's an interesting fact:

The "RUM COLA" neon sign in the Stray Sheep originally read "RUM COKE", but we finally wore down the artists into changing it by convincing them that Coca-Cola would sue the hell out of us if we let it remain. If you're sharp, you can still see that it reads "RUM COKE" in the animated (non-game engine) scenes in the bar. There are a number of stupid discrepancies between the CG and animated sections of the Stray Sheep that the artists were unwilling to change. Try to find them all!

And that has been your Catherine trivia for tonight.

I want to hit awesome on this so hard but have no freaking clue what that might entail. So I won't.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who read that in Jamieson Price's voice.

wVEsyIc.png