As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2011 BYOC Info/FAQ - SOLD OUT!

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    jorax wrote:
    BigRed wrote:
    BYOC will never be ready when the 3day passes are.

Its always later, cause we (in PC room) have to finish one PAX before we start planing for the next. Which has advantages to constantly improve and learn from things that come up.

People get in because they hop on it early, if you are dedicated enough to follow it (read the PAX forums/follow PAX/BYOC twitter). Its just a lesson for next year.

There are posts like this every year. People mad cause they missed it cause it sold out too quick... However they learn for next time :) Don't think ive ever seen the same people post 2 years in a row that they missed it.

I'll try to be "dedicated enough" next year, seeing as my prior dedication (day 1 3-day pass purchases, day 1 responses when I got the email every previous year for BYOC) isn't deemed enough :p. Yes, I'm bitter. Yes, being told this is my fault for not being dedicated enough feels condescending.

A simple "I'm sorry, your are right the process has changed and we didn't notify people directly" would suffice. As Nuk's pasted email shows, the procedss clearly has changed and multiple people lost out because we didn't know the process had changed. I'm not asking you to change that (nor do I think it could be), but being treated with a bit of respect and perhaps some understanding as to why I/we are upset would be nice.

I Don't mean to sound condescending... I just feel like a broken record :P

The process hasn't changed from previous years. Ill say this again, there hasn't been an email notification that BYOC reg has gone live since the last one in 2007. The email quoted above was a reminder a few weeks after the fact (after about 350 seats were sold, because reg needed a boost... but it only gave about a 50 seat boost). For the past few years it has been launched on these forums and twitter. For your best chance to get in, follow the Prime_BYOC (or East_BYOC for PAX East) twitter. It has also been announced on Official_PAX twitter account (probably why it sold so fast this year).
    If you want an email notification you can follow those accounts and set them up for email notification.

Every year there are people wondering why "There wasn't an email saying BYOC reg was up like there was last year" when there wasn't an email blast that BYOC reg is live....

I am sorry you didn't get in this year but... As mentioned previously, you can still get in if you watch the Lanfest site like a hawk for a refund to process :) There have been a lot of refunds this time around. You just need to be on top of it to snatch one up before someone else does.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • bitterfunbitterfun Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I would like to lodge a complaint. I have been able to get into every BYOC since the 3rd PAX. Clearly if I can do it the process is broken. I am really not that competent.

• beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    When you buy your 3 day, don't you come to the Penny-Arcade site anyway?

It wasn't so difficult to click the button to get to your ticket purchase, so how difficult is it to click the button to come to the forums and check the one section for PAX specific information? On top of that, BYOC is immediately stickied at the top, so you don't even have to sift through any of the other random posts.

Yeah, I get it. It's not as simple as getting an email and clicking a link (which, as mentioned, hasn't been in place since 2007), but seriously. Instead of waiting for the silver platter, put in some effort and stop blaming other people.

Yes, I *AM* being condescending because your attitude about the whole thing is piss poor. I get that you're disappointed, along with a whole host of other people that couldn't even get into PAX itself. Just because you've been to every BYOC, does that mean you should automatically get special treatment?

An explanation and one general apology should suffice (which appears to have been done numerous times). If you don't like the process, make your suggestion on how things can change and be done with it.

Also: bitterfun makes a VERY adulterous point.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • ValanderValander Registered User regular
    bitterfun wrote:
    I would like to lodge a complaint. I have been able to get into every BYOC since the 3rd PAX. Clearly if I can do it the process is broken. I am really not that competent.

I can vouch for bitterfun's incompetence. ;)

Hell, this year, he was even on vacation when BYOC went on sale. Lucky for him he had a friend (me) who was hooked into the twitter feed, and texted him when things were announced. If he can do it while on a volcano in Hawaii, well...

D.
    bitterfun wrote:
    Valander wrote:
    If he can do it while on a volcano in Hawaii, well...

lols

• joraxjorax Registered User regular
    Look, I've gotten a mail every year I've attended regarding BYOC. I still have the mails to prove it. I guess that isn't the official way, but how was I to know that since I got them every year?

http://prime.paxsite.com/registration.php

Nothing here mentions Twitter or forums. Or BYOC for that matter.

http://prime.paxsite.com/faqs.php

Not here either. In fact, there is no mention of BYOC anywhere on the PAX site. I don't have a twitter account and didn't use the forums much until this was pointed out to me. I read PA every Mon-Weds-Fri, and I never saw it mentioned there either. Am I not allowed to be dissapointed?

beta_angel wrote:
    When you buy your 3 day, don't you come to the Penny-Arcade site anyway?

It wasn't so difficult to click the button to get to your ticket purchase, so how difficult is it to click the button to come to the forums and check the one section for PAX specific information? On top of that, BYOC is immediately stickied at the top, so you don't even have to sift through any of the other random posts.

Since there was never any mention of that requirement elsewhere, how could I be expected to know? If I'd have known, of course I'd have clicked on the right place.

• :)NuK:)NuK Registered User regular
    jorax wrote:
    Whine whine whine. I didn't get what I wanted. Whine whine whine.

Nothing can be done. Watch the LANFest website and move on...
    thanks for that. Very nice contribution to the conversation.

edited August 2011
    [editted to just the bare minimum]

i've refreshed that intel site about 1000x over the last 2 days. No joy.

please make this process not require forums or twitter in the future. Thanks!

Thanks for reading.

:)NuK on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Guys, none of you are being contributory. Yes, we understand you're unhappy about not getting into BYOC. There are 100x more people upset about not getting into PAX at all. If BYOC is the only thing you were looking forward to at PAX, there's a stickied thread for selling your PAX pass; which, I'm certain you will be able to get rid of in a matter of minutes. If PAX still holds appeal to you without BYOC, then enjoy PAX for what it is and please, for the love of god, stop complaining. It's not helping, it's not going to get you into BYOC, and frankly it's annoying. It's annoying to me, to BigRed, and to everybody who comes into this thread looking for BYOC info.

We get it, you're upset. Watch the LANFest site if you want to try to snatch up a refunded slot. Otherwise, please quit with the complaining. Thanks.

E6LkoFK.png

• beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    <Started writing post before I saw Moes response>

I'm gonna redact and just reiterate that refunds do occur and the LANFest site will reflect that.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
    p.s. i signed up for twitter, i followed pax_official and prime_byoc. Does it auto email whenever someone twits? I can't find any setting in their notifications settings to email you when someone you follow posts, just something when someone repeats something you twitted.

edited August 2011
    My only request would be that next year consider including some/any info on BYOC on the PAX page for others who may not use the forums. I'm still not sure how I was expected to have any information on the process. Obivously I'll know what to do next year after all this.

Thanks!

jorax on
  • G4MERG4MER Registered User regular
    Hey Red, I hate to admit it but I am with bitter and Valander, and we really want to sit side by side so we can toss insult and injury at one another, when do you think you'll have the list up, or what ever it is you need to post so we can get group seating?

g4mer_paxsig.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Typically group seating is limited to groups of 6 or more. If there are just 3 of you, just be in line together and you will get seated together.

E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2011
    Edit: shortening this up

Yeah... this discussion has gone on for two pages and has been a repeat of "WTF WHY WAS THERE NO EMAIL" discussions that have happened every year since the Launch emails stopped in 2008. Its beating a dead horse at this point.
    Feel free to look at previous years' BYOC threads for similar discussion.

Like Moe Said... Let us return to discussion/Q&A about this years BYOC.
    If you have emails saying BYOC has gone live that have happened since 2007 (That aren't from East BYOC, reminders, the BYOC mailer, or mentions in another PAX email), feel free to forward them to me to reasonablylucid@gmail.com I bet you that they did not happen when BYOC reg went live and were sent out a while after the fact :P Feel free to prove me wrong via email (this thread is messed up enough as it is).
    You can also compare dates on emails to forum postings if you want to do the research yourself. (I have also looked through my email and none of the mentions correspond with when we launched BYOC on the forums/twitter.
    This year was just another record sellout and... why mention something thats sold out?
    :)NuK wrote:
    [editted to just the bare minimum]

i've refreshed that intel site about 1000x over the last 2 days. No joy.

please make this process not require forums or twitter in the future. Thanks!

Thanks for reading.

Refunds happen. Others have gotten in but refunds dont happen every day. Theres only 300~ seats afterall. It will take time.
    jorax wrote:
    My only request would be that next year consider including some/any info on BYOC on the PAX page for others who may not use the forums. I'm still not sure how I was expected to have any information on the process. Obivously I'll know what to do next year after all this.

Thanks!

There was info on the PAXsite about BYOC. I think it got changed to something like "please check the PAX forums for most up to date info" and "Sorry, Sold out" or somesuch then probably just removed.
    Im sure it will be back up for next year.

BigRed on
    G4MER wrote:
    Hey Red, I hate to admit it but I am with bitter and Valander, and we really want to sit side by side so we can toss insult and injury at one another, when do you think you'll have the list up, or what ever it is you need to post so we can get group seating?
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Typically group seating is limited to groups of 6 or more. If there are just 3 of you, just be in line together and you will get seated together.

Correct, Group seating (whenever I can put it up) will be limied to groups of 6 or more.
    Otherwise its easy to sit together if you are in the line together (which starts forming around 7am pax friday)

edited August 2011
    Well we are 3 of the 8 in our group. Sorry should of mentioned that. ( ROCK LOBSTAHS! ) I Think we have voted to make Valander our sacrificial err uhh I mean Leader yeah, Leader. Do you need a list of who is in the ROCK LOBSTAHS!?

G4MER on
    g4mer_paxsig.png
    edited August 2011
    Yeah its up to the group to manage person seating within their group block.

Also (since this was a problem with the last East, which I shouldnt even have to mention but guess I have to), I *NEED* to be updated if you are adding people into your group. Also your entire group NEEDS to be aware that they are in the group and its just them allowed to sit in the block.

Last east there was a large group (like 24+) that had friends of friends sit in the group and/or added people last minute (without letting me know) and it was a huge mess. That will not be happening this year. If you might have last minute additions to the group either sit the group somewhere where they wont be boxed in (and friends can sit outside the group) or just omit from group seating and all stand in line together and hope for the best.

BigRed on
    G4MER wrote:
    Well we are 3 of the 8 in our group. Sorry should of mentioned that. ( ROCK LOBSTAHS! ) I Think we have voted to make Valander our sacrificial err uhh I mean Leader yeah, Leader. Do you need a list of who is in the ROCK LOBSTAHS!?
    I've got the list, just waiting for BigRed's official "gimme your lists" post. ;)

D.
    Yeah, theres another meeting today and I will push harder for a final layout so I can get this live.

Okay, cool Red, thanks. This is prime not east right. ;) I leave it to our Sacrificial lamb.. I mean Leader, Valander. I believe he has a list ready for you Big Red.

g4mer_paxsig.png
    G4MER wrote:
    Okay, cool Red, thanks. This is prime not east right. ;) I leave it to our Sacrificial lamb.. I mean Leader, Valander. I believe he has a list ready for you Big Red.

He should be. He has been through this abuse before :P

Heh, that is why we voted him into the position. Oh and we still have to arm wrestle for that cape of yours.. you ducked out in 2009 and we never got out chance. ;) lol

g4mer_paxsig.png
    BigRed wrote:
    G4MER wrote:

He should be. He has been through this abuse before :P
    And yet somehow keep coming back for more of it... ;)

D.
    btw... everyone should check this out

http://www.nvidia.com/object/pax-prime.html

Playable BF3 in PC room ;)

• AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    Yeah, theres another meeting today and I will push harder for a final layout so I can get this live.
    Yessss!! I can't wait to get my group reg in so we're that much closer to the byoc-y goodness! ^_^

vhkbviT.png
  • ToastedTriggerToastedTrigger Registered User regular
    This might have been mentioned already, but when might we hear about some of the PC tournaments that might be going on?

This might have been mentioned already, but when might we hear about some of the PC tournaments that might be going on?

Uhhh no idea! I will ask tonight :)

Quick recommendation from a customer service expert:

"Jorax, we're sorry to hear about you being unable to register. Please note that the information was posted on this forum and via twitter. Thanks for your feedback, we'll take it into consideration."

Bam, I'd never have responded again, having been courteously and professionally dealt with (and having no points to logically argue within that statement). You don't even need to take my feedback into consideration, that's just CS speak. Feel free to copy/paste this in the future, it will prevent the types of arguments you are experiencing when telling people to be "more dedicated." In the end I didn't know about the process because I don't use twitter or the forums - which were the only places the info exists! Chicken and Egg problem here, but again not something that needs to be addressed for each individual if you use the above statement.

• AGlassOfMilkAGlassOfMilk Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    I feel like I have to ask this every year now, but will the BYOC network be connected to PC Free Play network?

Also, has there been any thought given as to setting up dedicated servers for some of the major games?

Yes

and

Yes

:)

Which games (I want to make sure I have them installed)?

• VanusVanus Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    btw... everyone should check this out

http://www.nvidia.com/object/pax-prime.html

Playable BF3 in PC room ;)

And a copy for everyone in BYOC to play too, right?

Right?

• AGlassOfMilkAGlassOfMilk Registered User regular
    Vanus wrote:
    And a copy for everyone in BYOC to play too, right?

Right?

I wish...

I will get group seating up soon. Finally got table layout.

Group seating is up btw...

Although responses will be delayed because I will be out of country until Sunday :)

BigRed wrote:
    Group seating is up btw...

Although responses will be delayed because I will be out of country until Sunday :)

Yay! Sent you a PM with details.

D.
    Thanks RED. Thanks Valander for your diligence.

g4mer_paxsig.png
    Holy crap, tons of responses. When I can get to doing all I will be going by timestamp of email/PM if theres any conflicts for space.

Pretty sure I got all group requests PM'ed and emailed to me taken care of.

• sizzlersamsizzlersam (Retired) [E] PC Room Network Registered User regular
    ^ Looks great, thanks for all your hard work on the LAN!

46Eamp0.png
This discussion has been closed.