As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Conan, what is best in [chat]?

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    When Keanu Reeves gives a girl he doesn't love a shot in the face he calls it a Donation of Constantine.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zgYG-_ha28

Carmack says he's working on getting Rage to run at 60FPS on Intel integrated hardware at 25:00

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote:
    When Keanu Reeves gives a girl he doesn't love a shot in the face he calls it a Donation of Constantine.

Raul Julia calls that tuesday.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

Raul Julia calls that tuesday.

hah.

Spoiler that shit man, carmack looks awful in the screepcap.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Carmack says he's working on getting Rage to run at 60FPS on Intel integrated hardware at 25:00

He's been harping about integrated GPUs and the like for years.

I don't know shit about programming but Carmack seems like a mad genius. Can any programmers here comment on that?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So I've been thinking a bit about social swarm theory lately, and this week I've been focusing on Twitter.

There's a site that can automatically post a list of people that unfollow you.

It's automated passive-aggressiveness.

I watched a man's standing on Reddit crumble in less than 24 hours because he was a bit of a jerk to a person who posted something against the rules in his subreddit.

His account is still taking downvotes.

Ludious wrote:
    I watched a man's standing on Reddit crumble in less than 24 hours because he was a bit of a jerk to a person who posted something against the rules in his subreddit.

Don't upset your local swarm.

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    Kalkino wrote:
    The Vatican museums are certainly worth a visit if in Rome, but I must admit to being creeped the hell out by the Raphael Rooms, for the frescos (and other works of art) celebrating the triumph of Christian theology over Pagan philosophy. The works relating to the Donation of Constantine are more of the same, but to the Secular Power
    Are there works dedicated to the Christian humanists who proved the Donation of Constantine was a load of bullshit?

Oh I am sure. Somewhere in the back, I bet they've made a really tasteful display and all

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    elendil, have you played bastion

I've really been enjoying it

I hate that hivemind bullshit.

They say it's a "community".

Like the fucking BORG are a community.

Ludious wrote:

Lud's seen downranks glittering on the internet all these things will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    So the company we host with is reporting they're running out of IP addresses.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:
    What is the role of Jesus in a secular society? Bragging rights for the non-believers who cobble together traits they find agreeable in order to make Jesus one of their own. Jesus is no longer the son of God; He is the kind of guy you want to grab a beer with.

jesusmetal.jpg

Non-Christians get a subconscious thrill when they steal Christ from the Christians.

You know if you skip the part about the birth of Jesus at the begining of Matthew (which the Ebionites did, btw) you can get through all of Mark and Matthew without Jesus himself being divine.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    This guy's Twitter feed is nothing but those automated unfollowing lists and what looks like automated "thanks for following me" posts.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I am not a productive worker today.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:
    This guy's Twitter feed is nothing but those automated unfollowing lists and what looks like automated "thanks for following me" posts.

Let me guess, he's a Newt Gingrich follower?

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote:
    Anyway, I have long respected Julian for his (futile) attempts to roll back the State support of the Christian church. It would have been interesting if he'd lasted another decade or so, instead of his untimely death

Julian the Apostate was an interesting guy, and the last Roman/Byzantine emperor to sport a big bushy beard, that's a major plus in my book.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Ludious wrote:
    I don't know shit about programming but Carmack seems like a mad genius. Can any programmers here comment on that?

He is indeed the real deal. The mad genious extraordinaire.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular

Can...Can that happen?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    You know if you skip the part about the birth of Jesus at the begining of Matthew (which the Ebionites did, btw) you can get through all of Mark and Matthew without Jesus himself being divine.

Wut?

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    elendil, have you played bastion

I've really been enjoying it
    no

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Echo wrote:

Let me guess, he's a Newt Gingrich follower?

At the risk of being unpopular, I have to admit I love reading tweets from USER0553211041. He is such a card!

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    yalborap wrote:

Can...Can that happen?

Well our developer says possibly, but a new IP protocol here soon will make it moot.

For my part I have no idea.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    yalborap wrote:

Can...Can that happen?
    quick someone get us some more tubes

Ludious wrote:

He is indeed the real deal. The mad genious extraordinaire.

He made Rage run on iPhones.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    emnmnme wrote:

Wut?

Basically, outside of the Virgin Birth episode, Jesus is basically a prophet/mystic through most of Matthew and Mark. Luke and John are when the Jesus=the Word=God thing starts going full throttle.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zgYG-_ha28

Carmack is looking so old.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    yalborap wrote:

Can...Can that happen?

There's 2^32 IPv4 addresses. They've all been allocated. They're not all used, but they're allocated.

2^32 = 4,294,967,296, which isn't that much, really - 4.29 billion addresses.

IPv6 is the replacement protocol. It has 2^128 addresses.

I think that's a number with about 38 zeroes in it.

• JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    yalborap wrote:

Can...Can that happen?

Well our developer says possibly, but a new IP protocol here soon will make it moot.

There is a 32-bit IP (IPv4) protocol and a 128-bit (IPv6) protocol.

We're just running out of IPv4 addresses.

Echo beat me, but its ok because his rainbow sheep are hypnotic.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    edited August 2011
    emnmnme wrote:

Wut?

I am completely serious. English tranlsations often put a certain spin on things but you can take both Mark and Matthew (again, minus the first two chapters) literally and still think Jesus is just a devout Jew who is particuarly favored by YHWH. Even the term which would later (via German) become "Messiah" just means "annointed one" and in practice is used to refer to anyone who god particularly likes at the moment. Even non-jews (the Persian emperor who conquers babylon for example).

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote:
    Anyway, I have long respected Julian for his (futile) attempts to roll back the State support of the Christian church. It would have been interesting if he'd lasted another decade or so, instead of his untimely death

Julian the Apostate was an interesting guy, and the last Roman/Byzantine emperor to sport a big bushy beard, that's a major plus in my book.

Really? I've always respected bearded politicians or leaders more. I need to move back to the 19th century

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    yalborap wrote:

Can...Can that happen?

We are completely out of IPv4 address.

There will never ever be another new address in the 192.168.100.1 or whatever schema. 99.125.78.13. 66.173.132.42. Etc etc etc. This only affects PUBLIC IPs, obviously. Anyone can have whatever they want for private IPs.

Do you work at an ISP or something? You're IT team should have really started implementing steps to be IPv6 compliant months ago.

IPv6 addresses look like this:

2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334

or

2001:0db8:85a3:::8a2e:0370:7334

Kalkino wrote:
    Kalkino wrote:

Really? I've always respected bearded politicians or leaders more. I need to move back to the 19th century

He was obsessed with his beard. Dude wrote an entire book (a satire IIRC) against people who dissed beards.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Kalkino wrote:
    Kalkino wrote:

I'm pretty sure, wait now that I think about it, Basil II also sported one but that was mainly to kowtow to the Bulgarians he kicked the shit out of.

But I can't really think of one of note in the 700 years inbetween that didn't follow the Constantine/Justinian clean shaven look.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:

Wut?

I am completely serious. English tranlsations often put a certain spin on things but you can take both Mark and Matthew (again, minus the first two chapters) literally and still think Jesus is just a devout Jew who is particuarly favored by YHWH. Even the term which would later (via German) become "Messiah" just means "annointed one" and in practice is used to refer to anyone who god particularly likes at the moment. Even non-jews (the Persian emperor who conquers babylon for example).
    Jews gave the Persian emperor an AAA rating when it comes to their despots, mainly because of the whole allowing their religion thing.

IPv6 makes me happy that someone invented DNS.

This discussion has been closed.