As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 8-3-11: We Don't Know How to Surrender

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Graphic Violence
Secret Six #36, one of the best final issues in a good long while, similar to Thunderbolts #75.

So the six find a warehouse for their base of operations, but there's a homeless family inside. On top of it the Penguin had a tracker installed in him and Huntress calls down every hero imaginable, so the six are cornered. But along the way we have nice interludes with all the group, like so:

img189.jpg

And then Huntress tries to replace the family held hostage:

img190.jpg

and ultimately the group goes out with a bang, taking on the whole group of heroes (super-family included) by taking Venom. They lose, of course, but then again the Secret Six never win.

Thunderbolts #161, twists and turns abound!

A missle is heading for Chicago, only Moonstone can save it!

img187.jpg

img188.jpg

but the missile was heading for the lake all along because it contained shrunken down crab people who turn full size when exposed to water, like those sponge toys! On top of that Satanna moves the entire Raft to Chicago to help the A-team, wowza!

TexiKen on

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    X-Factor #223 had a good joke about Marvel's anti-smoking policy. Pip the troll's reclining in a chair, with what looks like a cigar in his mouth, until we get a closer look, and he remarks, "Man, can't believe the non-smokin' rules in this city. Pretzels. What I've been reduced to..." Naturally, he's snacking on one of those big pretzel sticks.

Punisher #1 was pretty amazing, but the sparse dialogue made it feel like a really quick read. But, the art's gorgeous, and Rucka's proving he can still do crime comics like nobody's business. I'm tempted to say that the best part is when Frank smiles at some goon, but the back-up story's the real gem of the issue. Basically, it's a cop narrating a shoot-out he was a part of, while being interviewed. As he narrates, what he says happened, suddenly diverges from what we see happened. It's a neat little storytelling device, that's going to set up some interesting conflict for this cop character.

Herc #6 wrapped up the Fear Itself arc, and featured Herc's battle with one of Ares' children. The best part is when several onlookers, wondering if the now-moral Herc can best a demi-God, are told by a nerdy Herc-worshiper that, "Even without his power, Herc's got like straight nineteens for strength, dexterity, and constitution.

.. His wisdom's a little closer to average."

I loves me some D&D humor.

The Hero Initiative benefit book, Hero Comics 2011, had a great creative lineup, including Gaiman, Sam Kieth, Richard Starkings, Doug Braithwaite, John Layman, and Rob Guillory. Honestly, I just bought it for Kieth's art, and the Chew short story.

But Christ the cover's bad.

Seriously, when you're trying to raise money for a worthy charity, maybe don't put something on the cover that makes your customer embarrassed to buy it? Just a thought?

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Secret Six was fantastic.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    that is a terrible cover

but woo, Gaiman

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    My MotW is reading all 4 issues of Ultimate Fallout. That scarred little girl scene, damn.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Walt Simonson Thor Artist Edition.

Me: I'll keep this in back and pay for it in a week or so.
    Boss: No, it's yours, just take it, no charge.

Algertman on
  • Options
    Speaking of Simonson, my LCS had a copy of his Omnibus edition of Thor and Holy crap it looked fantastic. The only thing keeping me from getting it, besides the cost, is the fact that I currently have the Chris Clairemont Uncanny X-men Omnibus that I never look at and I fear I'll do the same thing with this one.

• Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Scottie Young wrote a little story/tie-in for Spider-Island called 9-Lives. It starts with a cat in a spider-costume fighting a Venom-Pigeon. Then an army of venom pigeons, turns out to be a video game being played by some new yorkers. I'm pretty sure it's digital exclusive for now though, It'll be part of the Spider-Island: I <3 New York City thing though.
    img0267.png

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    Damn I love Scottie Young.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Algertman wrote:

I hate you.

• Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Well, after an absence of over a month due to computer problems I'm back! I have a pretty good moment of my own as well to boot. Today Kirkman and Liefeld were at the comic shop I frequent, promoting and signing copies of their new book titled Infinite. My friend went with me and nabbed one of the last blank cover issues the store had and attempted something . . . daring. When we got up to the two special guests they were drawing and signing away for everyone who bought a copy, drawing faces and figures of people in the comic as well as characters from past works (Liefeld drew Deadpool on special request a few times), but when my friend got up to Liefeld he looked the guy dead in the eye and said "Draw me a pouch". Liefeld rolled his eyes while Kirkman chuckled away behind him and got to work.
    IMG_20110803_191041.jpg

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Hahahahaha, that is amazing, Witch Hunter.

I've been thinking hard about my MOTW. It was either, legitimately, the surprisingly amazing final issue of Superman Grounded, or me just purchasing Spider-Man: Big Time in trade, which I am so fucking excited to read when I have some time tomorrow.

• Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    Kudos!

...And infinitely superior to the original cover.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Wooo Skottie Young!

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Algertman wrote:

: o

Badical!

• Options
    VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Hulk #38:
    modok1.jpg

modok2.jpg

hulk38modok.jpg

M.O.D.O.K. Superior. Yes, yes he is.

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    God damn

the new MODOK is the best villain of 2011

hell

best new character so far

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Tell me more about this new M.O.D.O.K., please. Where does he first appear?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    MODOK is cool

VWEEEEEEEM VWEEEEEEM

I love lasers

• Options
    VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Delduwath wrote:
    Tell me more about this new M.O.D.O.K., please. Where does he first appear?

Hulk #29.
    Banner turned the original MODOK back into mild-mannered George Tarleton at the end of World War Hulks. The Scorched Earth program that started up afterwards was powered by a cluster of clones of MODOK's brain, cybernetically hooked up and acting as a supercomputer. Turns out Scorched Earth wasn't a sour grapes contingency in the event of the Intelligencia's defeat, but a distraction to allow another, reserved brain to develop, be implanted in a new cloned body, and become MODOK 2.0.

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • Options
    So, would you say that World War Hulks is a worthwhile read? I don't really know what's been going on in the Hulk corner of the MarvelU since World War Hulk (singular); should I catch up, or has it been mostly meh?

• Options
    Just start with the Hulk: Scorched Earth tpb and the 5-6 issues afterwards and pick up Aaron's Incredible Hulk in October

bam, problem solved

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    But then you would be ignoring the entirety of Greg Pak's awesome run

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    He can do that to!

But he wanted to catch up on current Hulk

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    He asked if anything Hulk like post WWH was worthwhile

I would say Pak's stuff qualifies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Yes but he was asking in response to the MODOK Red Hulk brilliance

look I was making it easy for him. A trade and some single are cheaper than like half a dozen trades.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Hey now, let's not fight. There's enough of me to go around!

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    read pak's incredible hulk run post wwh up until world war hulks begins

skip the crossover with loeb

then read scorched earth and incredible hulks

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    oh shit oh shit Nick Roche drew an Overlord print for some TF convention or another
    overlordprintcolors_1312586905.jpg

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Man, new MODOK is great and Jeff Parker is great and I love that the book went from the worst thing to the best thing so fast.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.