As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Catherine - the new competitive hotness. Tournament Hype!

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    cj iwakura wrote:
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who read that in Jamieson Price's voice.

Well, good, because I wrote it in Jamieson Price's voice! :D

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Also, were the writers for his smack-talking in Colosseum inspired by Portal 2? :P

"Player 1, what do you hate about Player 2?"

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Sirrah, I am offended that you would even ask that. Portal 2 came out in April. All the Catherine dialogue was recorded in December/January!

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Thumbs up, Bursar.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Wow. That's a long localization process. Well, you could have worse comparisons drawn. :P

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote:
    mastrius wrote:
    Well I read that they're going to be turning Catherine into a franchise alongside SMT so think to the future. I'm sure now that they have all the building blocks (no pun intended) for a good game they can improve very much on this formula and create something epic with online functions too.

This is the best news. I love this game so much and cannot wait for more like it.

"Stay tuned for the next 'Golden Theater'..." I like the sound of that!

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    cj iwakura wrote:

Dammit, I did.

EDIT: And what's wrong with a Rum & Coke?

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote:

Dammit, I did.

EDIT: And what's wrong with a Rum & Coke?

Bwuh? Nothing. I'd be having one right now (or a Moscow Mule) if I hadn't just finished a glass of milk. It just sounded like you were on some quest to find the components of it.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    Hahaha goddammit, I just saw the True Cheater ending and now I can't look at your avatar with laughing. Goddamn that ending.
    Top of the morning kiddo.

I didn't like the post credits sequence though. It's like the animators were going "Hey hentai studios, we could do a pretty sweet movie eh? Eh?" It should have just ended at top of the morning and left it to your imagination what that meant.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I like whiskey. Thanks for teaching me about the drink I like, game.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Barcardi wrote:
    I finally got this game, it was the final copy. I have zero idea why i want to play this game other than giantbombs quicklook.

Should be interesting.

Maybe it's the concept that attracts you? Or maybe it's Vincent's 30 different "Horrified" facial expressions.

Atlus game that is also a puzzle game and yes the bizarre over the top facial expressions. Also drinking games!

So far im on night 4 and I am enjoying it. I keep on feeling like i cannot go full asshole or full saint though, right now im just answering the way i think and im still right in the middle ground.

• Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    Gilder wrote:
    I got all golds on normal last night. I don't know, but I was in the fucking zone up until the Clock Tower and then Empireo. Clock Tower I just stumbled a bit, but Empireo can fuck off. Those monster blocks are the worst thing. Yeah, yeah just go ahead and block me completely. Oh no, I don't mind you destroying the entire level by moving backwards. God. 9-3 for some reason was just a wall. I was stuck for an hour because I just could not remember how to climb it without losing the combo.

Say, speaking of 9-3, anyone want to know a little trick I discovered while stuck in it? It's oh so much fun. When you start the level choose either tower. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter which. Next, notice that the only things keeping the tower connected are 3 blocks at the base. Push those 3 blocks back. Have fun!*

*Note: May not actually be all that much fun. Level will probably become unbeatable after trick is performed. It is not recommended you do this while retrying stages from the phone for golds as I believe there is a strong chance of system freezing.

I've done that before somewhere on stage 6. You see the rest of the tower fall away, further and further in the distance, but suddenly I had a chunk of tower fall and connect with my current location.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I think there was only one boss fight in the entire game that I actually enjoyed, largely because after a few/several deaths, the boss audio becomes really annoying and I wind up muting all the audio.

For all the charm the game has, I truly feel no desire at all to play through it again. The puzzle mechanics are solid, the music arrangements are lovely, the graphics and art are charming, the characters easy to get into, and the game's challenge non-trivial, but I feel like I just can't be arsed to go through all of it again.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Gilder wrote:
    Hahaha goddammit, I just saw the True Cheater ending and now I can't look at your avatar with laughing. Goddamn that ending.
    Top of the morning kiddo.

I didn't like the post credits sequence though. It's like the animators were going "Hey hentai studios, we could do a pretty sweet movie eh? Eh?" It should have just ended at top of the morning and left it to your imagination what that meant.

See, we told you. BEST ENDING EVER.

EDIT: Oh, and FYI
    The "Good" Cheater ending's credits show Catherine acting as a dominatrix towards Vincent. It's worth watching on youtube, or something.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    Gilder wrote:
    Am I the only one who gets really thirsty after hearing the Alcohol facts? I really wanna try a Cuba Libre now....

It's not helping me stop my quest to find a whiskey I like. I'm a very picky person though so it's hard.

Have you tried jameson? It's probly my favorite whiskey though I'm more of a patron kinda guy myself.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    No I haven't, I'll remember that name. I'm probably just not a whiskey guy, but I figure there's no way to know for sure until I try a bunch of different kinds.

Gaming-Freak that sounds like a much better ending and I think I'll like that much more. I'll see it eventually, because I do want to get as many trophies/songs as possible. Those Babel trophies though.... fuck. I tried Altar and I just hit a wall after 100. I am really bad at making the tower collapse correctly so that section is bad news. Even using the guide button pause I have trouble making a path.

• Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    Gilder wrote:
    No I haven't, I'll remember that name. I'm probably just not a whiskey guy, but I figure there's no way to know for sure until I try a bunch of different kinds.

Gaming-Freak that sounds like a much better ending and I think I'll like that much more. I'll see it eventually, because I do want to get as many trophies/songs as possible. Those Babel trophies though.... fuck. I tried Altar and I just hit a wall after 100. I am really bad at making the tower collapse correctly so that section is bad news. Even using the guide button pause I have trouble making a path.

Don't use the guide button pause. I used to on PS3 when I played the JP version. Know what I learned? I don't learn anything through doing that. I figure out the path maybe once and then get through. Since playing on the 360 where I can't do that I have learned how to play so much better and learn to create way more paths on my own because I have no crutch to stand on. It's all up to me.

That's how I feel anyways. I used it all the time too on PS3 but just....I don't know. Without it. It's forced me to get better.

Also blah to you people. The after credits on the True Cheater was the best thing ever. I sincerely hope that
    They make Demon Vincent/Catherine combo a Special boss in a Next-gen SMT game IF THEY EVER MAKE ONE.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    I golded all the levels last night, that felt good to finally get done. To rush the endings, can you max out the gauge by only answering the confessional questions - or do you need to do some of the text messages as well? I've been doing both, but I'd like to speed this process up a bit.

• Options
    You can easily pull it off without the texts, but the texts help, since the confessionals can be pretty unpredictable.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Yeah I had my meter maxed Chaos and the last fucking confessional moved it to the right.. I still ended up with the True Cheater ending though. I'm stoked to see how much longer the True endings are. I got the Good Lover and was slightly let down. I'll have to get the True Lover / Freedom soon.

• Options
    Started a hard mode file. There's no way I'm doing these stages from the phone aside from Stage 8. It took me too long just to figure out how to do the final part without losing my step combo in the first level. I'm going to need to save and take breaks for this. Also most games give you bonus points for higher difficulties. So I thought that the 1.5 bonus would become 1.75 or something. How mistaken I was!

• Options
    Gilder wrote:
    Started a hard mode file. There's no way I'm doing these stages from the phone aside from Stage 8. It took me too long just to figure out how to do the final part without losing my step combo in the first level. I'm going to need to save and take breaks for this. Also most games give you bonus points for higher difficulties. So I thought that the 1.5 bonus would become 1.75 or something. How mistaken I was!

You must join me Gilder! Gold all the Hard levels! JOIN ME! BECOME ELITE!

Or become a loser who plays this game all day. Either way.
    Me

• Options
    Oh I'm golding them. I know I can do pretty much everything eventually, except Babel gives me doubts. Babel is going to give me trouble, because I have nobody to play with to do the co-op versions. So I'm stuck with the balls hard single player variants.

• Options
    Gilder wrote:
    Oh I'm golding them. I know I can do pretty much everything eventually, except Babel gives me doubts. Babel is going to give me trouble, because I have nobody to play with to do the co-op versions. So I'm stuck with the balls hard single player variants.

All I have left if to complete Obelisk and Axis Mundi. I was two steps from Obelisk the other day (ARGH!) so I know I can do that. But Axis Mundi can suck a dick.

• Options
    mastrius wrote:
    Gilder wrote:

Don't use the guide button pause. I used to on PS3 when I played the JP version. Know what I learned? I don't learn anything through doing that. I figure out the path maybe once and then get through. Since playing on the 360 where I can't do that I have learned how to play so much better and learn to create way more paths on my own because I have no crutch to stand on. It's all up to me.

That's how I feel anyways. I used it all the time too on PS3 but just....I don't know. Without it. It's forced me to get better.

Also blah to you people. The after credits on the True Cheater was the best thing ever. I sincerely hope that
    They make Demon Vincent/Catherine combo a Special boss in a Next-gen SMT game IF THEY EVER MAKE ONE.

Oh don't get me wrong. "True" Cheater ending is significantly better, IMO. Mostly for the post-credits cut-scene.
    Nergal: NOOOOOOOOOOOO~!

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    mastrius wrote:
    Gilder wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong. "True" Cheater ending is significantly better, IMO. Mostly for the post-credits cut-scene.

Exactly. That's why I found it amazing. Show's just how much of a badass he becomes in such a short time. Also the laughter. So much laughter.

"But you promised you'd play video games with me tonight!"

• Options
    I like to imagine that they're playing Dokapon Kingdom. It makes the relationship that much more dysfunctional.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Holy shit, I just watched the babel stuff, including the cutscenes.... and it explains SO MUCH SHIT. And the ending, holy shit, the ending.
    Good Trisha End.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Fuck the boss of Night 5

Just

Just fuck it

• Options
    Bursar wrote:
    I like to imagine that they're playing Dokapon Kingdom. It makes the relationship that much more dysfunctional.

Hehehe. I'm sure Vince would love to play and destroy him in it. Of course that's while he's
    Having sex on top of his back with his daughter and other random demons at the same time whilst ruling with an iron fist

Also Bursar. You storm into the building when next you go and you run straight up to someone and
    You force them to make Demon Vincent and Demon Catherine a Super Boss Battle in a new SMT game.
    Just do it. Just. Storm on in.

• Options
    mastrius wrote:
    Gilder wrote:

Yes.

@mastrius YES

Vincent (spoken to the player): "This is the, uh, Velvet Room."
    Vincent (inner monologue): Uhh...what am I doing here? Am I having another nightmare?
    Igor: Welcome to the Velvet Room. My...assistant...is new...don't mind him...

• Options
    Or maybe just an SMT 5 super hard mode second play through superboss with skills like Pillow Slap (heavy almighty damage to entire party with dormina effect) and True Cheater (instakills your party if any of your characters has a null ability equipped).

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Malechai wrote:
    Gilder wrote:
    Am I the only one who gets really thirsty after hearing the Alcohol facts? I really wanna try a Cuba Libre now....

It's not helping me stop my quest to find a whiskey I like. I'm a very picky person though so it's hard.

Have you tried jameson? It's probly my favorite whiskey though I'm more of a patron kinda guy myself.

I'll second Jameson.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I've been playing this and my feelings on it are...weird. I REALLY like the writing and presentation, and I think this is one of the few examples of a game with truly mature themes and great writing. I am super-impressed with the localization and the dubbing, the dialogue feels very natural and real for the most part. I find myself very enthralled in the story.

Then I have to play the game.

And it's like...I can't call the puzzle gameplay bad, exactly...but, it feels off. I'm playing on easy yet it still gets really backbreakingly hard. Which would be okay if I were really enjoying it, but, I'm just not. So it gets frustrating. I want to see where the plot is going, but first I have to slog through these puzzles, some of which are taking me near 20 tries to beat. It's just not very fun.

It doesn't feel like a game so much as it feels like a chore I have to do in order to see the good stuff.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Clearly they should release Catherine FES where they just replace the puzzle sections with Tartarus from Persona 3.

Your party can be made up of sheep.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    I think once you get the hang of spidering - and realizing when spidering is an option - the puzzles get a lot easier. That and the tornado come in handy often. Abusing the edge mechanic is essential too, but I think that's pretty obvious.

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Yeah, it took a while for the game to click for me. Somehow you just eventually come to innately understand the properties of the blocks and the relationships they share with each other and Vincent. In terms of mechanics of course, but you can pretend that I'm being deep if you want.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    It's not that I don't understand how to play, it's just that I don't really have the mind for these things. It's extremely common for me to not even notice something is an ice block, for example, leading to me just striding over it like a retard and tumbling to my doom. And then doing the same thing five times in a row. I tend to make huge obvious mistakes in things like this, and I just keep having mental farts over and over again, and it's just not fun for me. But I want to see the story unfold.

Last night it took me over 20 tries to beat 6-1

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    You don't want to know how many tries it took me to beat 6-1.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's not that I don't understand how to play, it's just that I don't really have the mind for these things. It's extremely common for me to not even notice something is an ice block, for example, leading to me just striding over it like a retard and tumbling to my doom. And then doing the same thing five times in a row. I tend to make huge obvious mistakes in things like this, and I just keep having mental farts over and over again, and it's just not fun for me. But I want to see the story unfold.

Last night it took me over 20 tries to beat 6-1

I know exactly what you mean. And if you're anything like me, I bet the ticking timer is not helping any. If I could take my time I would be fine, but then they give you a countdown to destruction, and you just feel so rushed that you keep screwing up.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."