As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sensational and Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man cancelled

GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Graphic Violence
...and Amazing spider-man goes to 3 issues a month. Apparently this happens after the One More Day storyline.
Over the years Marvel Comics has published a number of books starring Spider-Man, but "Amazing Spider-Man" has always been s the flagship title in the line. In a few months "Amazing" will not only be the flagship title of the linem it will be one of the only titles in the line as "Sensational Spider-Man" and "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man" come to an end (other books like "Spider-Man Family" will continue). Spidey fans don't need to worry though; they won't be seeing any less of their favorite character because "Amazing Spider-Man" will begin an almost weekly publication schedule. CBR News spoke with "Amazing Spider-Man" editor Stephen Wacker about the changes to the book.

Read the whole thing here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=10874

Didn't see this posted yet.

Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
GoodCitizen on

• Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    How will that work? Will each issue just cover the storyline from one of the books? Will there be three different authors or one?

Mai-Kero on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's follows the same storyline all three issues per month. Essentially, this will cut out all that "how does FNS and Sensational fit into continuity?" shit.

I'm actually kinda bummed about this, if only because FNS was pretty entertaining. Oh, and also because I have a subscription. However, I'm just gonna move my remaining issues over to She-Hulk, so it's all good. I also get ASM, so this just means I'll be renewing my subscription three times a year.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sounds like they'll have a larger team of writers working to spit out the Amazing book now. I love the idea of having one line of comics for Spidey coming out frequently and not having any "timeline" problems. Assuming it works out I'd love to see this done to the other titles as well.

Caveman Paws on
    edited June 2007
    It's not quite as big a deal with other comics, even the X titles, because the characters are different among the books. Probably Wolverine is the only other person so thinly spread, and that's only because he's in so many team books. Can't exactly consolidate those.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    At first I was a bit disappointed about having FNSM cancelled, but really, it's probably for the best. It was originally promoted as PAD doing street-level, light-hearted Spider-Man stories, but the book just kept getting so caught up in crossovers (The Other, Civil War), and weird alternate future stuff (Uncle Ben, Future Spidey/Goblin) that it was never able to find its footing and become what it was supposed to be.

Still, it's sort of a very sly, dickish move for Marvel to take three slightly connected Spidey books that you could read seperately, and replacing it with one book you have to buy three times a month if you want the whole story.

Munch on
    edited June 2007
    I honestly can't find anything wrong with more Amazing Spidey per month, but that's just me. The loss of FNS will be assuaged by She-Hulk.

wwtMask on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm fine with this move, too. Then, I wasn't buying Sensational or FNSM, and I have been buying ASM. This just gives me more of what I already liked.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There will be rotating creative teams planning the over-arching storylines together is the way it was described in an interview. We'll have to see exactly what those teams are, but I am not opposed to the idea.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This is a pretty cool idea.

deadonthestreet on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just the other day I was all "when are Marvel going to bring out a weekly book?"

But then I was like "nah, that'd be too "me too!" of them"

I guess this way they get to do a weekly, just without explicitly having a weekly schedule and therefore without getting panned for slipping a week or so here and there.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's probably a good thing... if they're going to be changing Peter every week, it would be nice to have some consistency.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Damn, what's this going to do for people who subscribe?

Edit: Specifically to ASM. Do you get 3 a month, just 1? Hmm...

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited June 2007
    skeldare wrote: »

What's the difference? You're getting the same number of comics each month. If you already subscribe to Amazing then you'll just get it more, and you won't get the other two at all... what with them not existing and all that.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DAMN! I liked the classic villian stories in Sensational. That was a damn fun title. Oh well, time to give Spider-Man Adventures another shot

Algertman on
    edited June 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

What's the difference? You're getting the same number of comics each month. If you already subscribe to Amazing then you'll just get it more, and you won't get the other two at all... what with them not existing and all that.
    Well, that's good. As long as they don't charge more. Thanks. :)

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007
    I really liked Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, but I can kind of understand why it never caught on. And I definitely understand them feeling the need to streamline Spider-Man, since other than Wolverine, he's the only Marvel character to have more than one solo ongoing a month (I'm pretty sure, at least).

The three-a-month thing seems kind of cool though, assuming they can get some good talent on the book.

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2007
    I really liked Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, but I can kind of understand why it never caught on. And I definitely understand them feeling the need to streamline Spider-Man, since other than Wolverine, he's the only Marvel character to have more than one solo ongoing a month (I'm pretty sure, at least).

The three-a-month thing seems kind of cool though, assuming they can get some good talent on the book.

I actually liked them all... I just found some elements really jarring.

Like, the end of Civil War in particular... where Spidey is super-pissed bad-ass guy, but in his other books he's still all light hearted and what-not.

Plus I hate how they have this huge Other story, then ignore it in everything but Friendly... just seems out of place.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited June 2007
    Well, there isn't any room for the Other to pop up in Amazing, and Sacasa (he's writing Sensational, right?) wasn't involved in the Other to begin with.

And I know he's had some darker moments in Friendly. He got ridiculously pissed off at a cop in this month's issue, for one.

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2007
    Well, there isn't any room for the Other to pop up in Amazing, and Sacasa (he's writing Sensational, right?) wasn't involved in the Other to begin with.

And I know he's had some darker moments in Friendly. He got ridiculously pissed off at a cop in this month's issue, for one.

Man, that was a pretty awesome moment. Also, the fact that he said "whatcha gonna do with all that junk, all that junk inside that trunk". :lol:

God, I'm gonna miss FNS. :(

wwtMask on
    edited June 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

Man, that was a pretty awesome moment. Also, the fact that he said "whatcha gonna do with all that junk, all that junk inside that trunk". :lol:

God, I'm gonna miss FNS. :(

I hope they keep Peter David on for one of the other ASM books. He's part of the reason I liked FNSM.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited June 2007
    Pretty sure David's done with Spider-Man for a while. I think he said that he started his first She-Hulk issue the week after he finished his last FNSM issue.

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2007
    Pretty sure David's done with Spider-Man for a while. I think he said that he started his first She-Hulk issue the week after he finished his last FNSM issue.
    Well fuck, that sucks. They really need to get good writers then.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited June 2007
    Well fuck, that sucks. They really need to get good writers then.

Dan motherfucking Slott son.

Which is kinda funny if the rumours are true, he's kind of switching places with PD.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    I'm kind of hoping Fraction does a few issues. The Sensational annual was great, and Spidey already popped up in War Journal a couple of times.

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2007
    Just as long as it isnt Hudlin or Way I should be pretty much cool with it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't think it's sustainable without a clear plan in mind and a scheduled conclusion to work towards.

Not to mention the need for a team of quality comparable the one 52 had.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    I don't think it's sustainable without a clear plan in mind and a scheduled conclusion to work towards.

Considering the talent they've got at Marvel right now, I don't think this is impossible to achieve.

wwtMask on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Well, they have the editor from the first half of 52 working as editor on this.

So I'm pretty sure they'll be just fine.

deadonthestreet on
    edited June 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

Considering the talent they've got at Marvel right now, I don't think this is impossible to achieve.

It's not just a question of talent, though. There's a great deal of teamwork involved in weekly title due to collaboration between writers. At least with 52 everyone was working towards the same end, but in this case there isn't a even a goal in mind, much less a shared one.

They're all doing their own stories, and it's only a matter of time before one proposal steps on the toes of another, leading to some squabble over who gets to use what rogue and whether or not it's okay to introduce a plot element that'll undoubtedly affect the next arc.

Couple that with the fact that a weekly format means stories are more quickly forgotten, leading to a smaller degree of appreciation for each writer, and it just seems like so much can go wrong.

And for what? To cop 52's style, a feat that consolidates the Spider titles and saps extra money from anyone who wasn't already buying all three books and does little for the character himself beyond tidying up continuity (something I don't care about, personally, since where a title fits into continuity stops mattering after a few months as people forget chronology of release).

And stricter deadlines won't do shit for the writing, now will it?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Some of the need for that cooperation is getting cut out, to my understanding.

I thought that the way this worked was, a team draws and writes for a month, an arc, whatever (set period of time), and then another team steps in.

There's a good chance I'm wrong, but that was what I heard.

Me Too! on
    edited June 2007
    I don't see what the issue is, exactly. There were already three Spider-Man books in a month, it's just that now they all have the same title and follow one set of storylines at a time. And since it isn't so rigidly set on the MUST SHIP WEEKLY angle, there's a little more leeway in terms of how fast they need to be released.

And I'm going to trust the editors to make sure the flow of the arcs stays smooth as they hand off to other writers. Mainly because that's their job.

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »
    Some of the need for that cooperation is getting cut out, to my understanding.

I thought that the way this worked was, a team draws and writes for a month, an arc, whatever (set period of time), and then another team steps in.

There's a good chance I'm wrong, but that was what I heard.

Unless they're slapping a mandate on Spider-Man that prevents his life from changing in any significant way so long as Amazing is weekly, the writer for every given month will see his arc affected by both the work of his predecessor and the demands of his successor.

Geebs: Anyone who was content with Amazing Spider-Man alone, for budgetary reasons or because they simply didn't want to read the character so many times in a month, now has to either give up following the title in its entirety or spend as much as someone who was buying all 3 books.

It's not a big deal. It's just a hobby, after all, but it's still irritating.

And it doesn't do anything to improve the book, so there's no benefit to the consumer balanced against the benefit to Marvel.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Saying it does nothing to improve the book is kind of hard to say right now, since we haven't even seen a single thing out of it, or who's writing or drawing it or anything.

The budget thing is kind of an issue, but 52 did fine (better than fine) with a cast of characters that wasn't exactly filled to the brim with franchise characters, not to mention that it had sixteen issues more in a year. I know it had a set end point, and that definitely helped.

And the whole "hampered by what someone else is doing" is a ridiculous point to bring up, as that is just a core issue in working in the Marvel or DC Universes, not to mention working on such a high-profile character with a massive history like Spider-Man.

This is all moot unless they get the right talent on the book, though. If the books suck, this whole argument is pointless (and it probably already is pointless). I think it probably has a higher chance of success than most things like this because it is Spider-Man.

Besides, I think the reason a lot of people aren't picking up Friendly or Sensational right now is because they don't know where there stories fit in with the current universe. So why, say, Amazing might take a drop in sales per issue, the other two issues of it a month will probably sell better than the other two Spidey books do at the moment, and that would probably be worth the experiment.

DJ Eebs on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This intrigues me as a tremendous fag for Spider-man.

It's like I'm getting EVEN MORE Spider-man each month, when it's the exact same amount.

The Muffin Man on
    edited June 2007
    Saying it does nothing to improve the book is kind of hard to say right now, since we haven't even seen a single thing out of it, or who's writing or drawing it or anything.

The budget thing is kind of an issue, but 52 did fine (better than fine) with a cast of characters that wasn't exactly filled to the brim with franchise characters, not to mention that it had sixteen issues more in a year. I know it had a set end point, and that definitely helped.

52 was an experiment in story-telling. This is just an experiment in repackaging. There's no reason to believe Amazing will improve as a result, beyond the book itself simply becoming faster, because the aim clearly isn't to make a better book or a more interesting book.

52 was also an all-new title featuring characters who hadn't sustained titles of their own in years, if ever. Fans of other books weren't made to turn to 52 to read solo adventures featuring their favorite character, and so anybody who chose to keep up with 52 did so because of their own interest alone rather than "strong encouragement" on the part of DC in the form of title cancellations.
    And the whole "hampered by what someone else is doing" is a ridiculous point to bring up, as that is just a core issue in working in the Marvel or DC Universes, not to mention working on such a high-profile character with a massive history like Spider-Man.

While the issue is a strong factor in the production of every important title in both houses, it becomes that much more problematic with this book. Though three separate writers were granted certain amounts of leeway with their portrayals of the character due to their stories taking place in three separate books, that freedom will almost certainly be eliminated as all solo stories about Spider-Man are placed in one book. Suddenly writer B can't do a comedic battle with Batroc the Leaper because writer A's story ended with a school shooting, whereas with two different titles both stories would have been possible.

Hello, unnecessary constraints on story-telling.

Yeah, consistency was already an issue with Spider-Man. But forcing all his writers to share one title makes it more of an issue.
    Besides, I think the reason a lot of people aren't picking up Friendly or Sensational right now is because they don't know where there stories fit in with the current universe.

You really think people do this? Personally, I don't see how having no idea when a story takes place would ruin my enjoyment of it.

Like I said before, when I read a Spider-Man arc years from now, I'm not even going to remember that he was doing something completely different in New Avengers at the time of the story.

And I don't even care right now, for that matter.
    So why, say, Amazing might take a drop in sales per issue, the other two issues of it a month will probably sell better than the other two Spidey books do at the moment, and that would probably be worth the experiment.

It depends on your standards for success. If making Marvel money constitutes success, then yeah it's great so long as they can keep writers on it. People will buy it simply because it's the only Spider-Man book they can buy.

If your standards are set by actual quality, though, then I think there's a lot to worry about and absolutely no reason to be optimistic.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The biggest problem I see with this is that it's an on-going. Can they really keep this going indefinitely? Or are they going to get fatigued in a year and two months and go back to this model?

Lux on
    edited June 2007
    why are we even comparing this to 52? I mean, they have nothing in common. Not a damn thing. They don't even have the same release schedule.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    why are we even comparing this to 52? I mean, they have nothing in common. Not a damn thing. They don't even have the same release schedule.

Same editor?

And you are correct, not enough in common. Though MARVEL would have never tried this if not for 52.

Algertman on
    edited June 2007
    Hooraydiation, you're being unduly pessimistic, especially considering the fact that we have no idea who is on the creative team. The only sensible reason to be concerned is if you don't have it in your budget to buy three Spidey books a month. All the other worries about how the creative team will work is pretty baseless at this point.

wwtMask on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    God I hope the rumors of "One More Day" ending with a full or partial reboot of Spider-Man are full of crap.

Furu on