As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Catherine - the new competitive hotness. Tournament Hype!

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I just finally beat 5-3 a couple hours ago

6-1 and 6-2 were actually such a relief after that

I think my thing is that I don't like shit chasing me. Yes, there's technically a timer on the other stages too but they're very, very lenient.

• GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    I have no idea how I managed to beat 2-1 on hard. Like I still don't know how I figured out a solution and its been hours since I did it. I just became a machine by the end of it. Then 2-2 and 2-3 were completely easy pieces of cake that took me like 10 minutes each.

I just hit the last stage, but honestly I don't even know if I want to beat it

The game itself stopped being fun a while ago, but I kept playing for the story. Now it's just pissing me off.

SPOILERS
    I really hate that the game doesn't give you more lee-way and just seems to one-track you no matter your choices. Case in point, I fucking hate Katherine and have been swaying toward Catherine as much as I can (the game even does a piss-poor job of that - your choices usually tend to be "Be a dick to Catherine" or "Be a little bit less of a dick to Catherine"). It's just clear that they're favoring Katherine so that they can honor whatever story they've already built up and made prerendered animated cutscenes for, but then why give the illusion of choice? The things Vincent is saying and doing are completely inconsistent with what I'm choosing, and it's just jarring. I should be guiding Catherine up this tower and running away from Katherine - not the opposite.

I can live with gameplay getting very repetitive and stale if it serves a greater story purpose, but that's really not what's happening here. I may just log off and go finish it now, but as things stand I'm pretty unsatisfied with my purchase.

• MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular

The game itself stopped being fun a while ago, but I kept playing for the story. Now it's just pissing me off.

SPOILERS
    I really hate that the game doesn't give you more lee-way and just seems to one-track you no matter your choices. Case in point, I fucking hate Katherine and have been swaying toward Catherine as much as I can (the game even does a piss-poor job of that - your choices usually tend to be "Be a dick to Catherine" or "Be a little bit less of a dick to Catherine"). It's just clear that they're favoring Katherine so that they can honor whatever story they've already built up and made prerendered animated cutscenes for, but then why give the illusion of choice? The things Vincent is saying and doing are completely inconsistent with what I'm choosing, and it's just jarring. I should be guiding Catherine up this tower and running away from Katherine - not the opposite.

I can live with gameplay getting very repetitive and stale if it serves a greater story purpose, but that's really not what's happening here. I may just log off and go finish it now, but as things stand I'm pretty unsatisfied with my purchase.

Honestly I'm surprised there haven't been more people with your opinion. I love Catherine, and I didn't think it was too repetitive/boring yadda yadda. However, I can easily see how anyone could find it difficult to enjoy.

You could always just watch the story on youtube.

• mastriusmastrius Registered User regular

SPOILERS

You can choose Catherine. You just have to get past the ending to get to it. Everything is decided leading up to
    The breaking up part.
    After that happens have you noticed in the subtitles if you have them on, how they don't actually put any catherine or Katherine in the subtitles? It's because after that one event it's all VIncent's choice now. Or rather. Yours. Playing up to then though well yeah. You can't change anything. I know what you mean but I didn't feel that way at all. I mean if you don't wanna be a dick to Katherine just don't respond to her. And if you wanna be nice to Catherine only respond when you can be nice. I don't know.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
    mastrius wrote:

SPOILERS

You can choose Catherine. You just have to get past the ending to get to it. Everything is decided leading up to
    The breaking up part.
    After that happens have you noticed in the subtitles if you have them on, how they don't actually put any catherine or Katherine in the subtitles? It's because after that one event it's all VIncent's choice now. Or rather. Yours. Playing up to then though well yeah. You can't change anything. I know what you mean but I didn't feel that way at all. I mean if you don't wanna be a dick to Katherine just don't respond to her. And if you wanna be nice to Catherine only respond when you can be nice. I don't know.

Spoilers
    I just stopped, honestly. I'm on the Fourth Sphere of the Empireo and this game just does. Not. Stop. And everything's Vincent's saying is indicated he's taking on Boss so he can arrange to meet Katherine

But even like you said, things being pre-decided up to the break-up...that's just so dumb. We don't see any of Vincent and Katherine's relationship before the game, so to me, the player controlling him, Vincent has been nothing but an apathetic dick to her. Then to be presented with cutscenes like "Oh she means so much to me, I need to hold her dear!" It's awful. If they want to give me a linear story, then give me a linear story, don't give me choice, and please make the female lead that the main character apparently really loves a little bit more than a frigid ice queen bitch.

If what you're saying is true, then maybe Catherine would be there had I finished the Empireo. But even that would still feel disjointed considering the scenes that Atlus already "chose" for me to see.

Who knows? Certainly not me. I'm finished with this game. It was a neat experiment and I applaud the balls of Atlus for making it and, much moreso, even releasing it in the US. I'm glad this game exists. It's just...very flawed.

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    I really enjoyed the crazyness of this game. Just beat it. Regarding my ending
    i thought it was going to end right after the knife fight and chapter 8 boss, it would have been a ballsy game design choice. But then Japan happened and it went from kinda bittersweet dreaming of Catherine to just hilariously insane. I got the true cheater ending and could not stop laughing when Vincent woke up next to those two characters.

The Hawaiian shirt reminded me of Farscape of all things.

question though:
    Right before or after chapter 8 it was revealed that the waitress Erica was starting to have the dreams too, what was up with that, I kept expecting Azmodius to be Toby or something, with reverse incubus dreams or something like that. If only because of the English voice actors. So was she really having related dreams, or what/why was she saying that?

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Barcardi wrote:
    question though:
    Right before or after chapter 8 it was revealed that the waitress Erica was starting to have the dreams too, what was up with that, I kept expecting Azmodius to be Toby or something, with reverse incubus dreams or something like that. If only because of the English voice actors. So was she really having related dreams, or what/why was she saying that?

this is answered in the
    true lover
    ending, but if you don't want to play through the game again...

answer:
    erica is a post-op transsexual, and used to be a man - that's why she was having the dreams. it's also why all the other guys seemed so disturbed by toby's relationship with her, and why vincent quipped "i'd be more convinced if it was a woman telling me this" when she was trying to give him advice about katherine.

edited August 2011
    Barcardi wrote:
    i thought it was going to end right after the knife fight and chapter 8 boss, it would have been a ballsy game design choice. But then Japan happened and it went from kinda bittersweet dreaming of Catherine to just hilariously insane. I got the true cheater ending and could not stop laughing when Vincent woke up next to those two characters.

question though:

The second thing is pretty much revealed only in the True Ending, but if you want to know
    Erica used to be a guy, but at some point he got a sex change. So she had the nightmare because I guess she was still a guy? It's actually kind of insulting that the game said "Even though you're a woman you're still ACTUALLY a man.", but that's probably because Japan isn't very sensitive about that kind of thing.

Edit: Fucking hate that preview in the new forums doesn't refresh the page so I can see new posts. You win this round interrobang.

Gilder on
    edited August 2011
    Gilder wrote:
    Barcardi wrote:

question though:

The second thing is pretty much revealed only in the True Ending, but if you want to know
    Erica used to be a guy, but at some point he got a sex change. So she had the nightmare because I guess she was still a guy? It's actually kind of insulting that the game said "Even though you're a woman you're still ACTUALLY a man.", but that's probably because Japan isn't very sensitive about that kind of thing.

Edit: Fucking hate that preview in the new forums doesn't refresh the page so I can see new posts. You win this round interrobang.

Spoilers
    I see it as less being insensitive and more Boss doing what he said he does. Basically males that don't contribute to reproduction are given the nightmares. Erica became a woman, but in doing so she essentially became a man that "deserted her post" so to speak in Boss's eyes

UnbreakableVow on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Yea.... well ok that makes sense within the crazyness of this game.

Gilder wrote:
    Barcardi wrote:

question though:

Spoilers
    I see it as less being insensitive and more Boss doing what he said he does. Basically males that don't contribute to reproduction are given the nightmares. Erica became a woman, but in doing so she essentially became a man that "deserted her post" so to speak in Boss's eyes

That's a better way to see it so I'll go with it. I just don't place a lot of hope on Japan's shoulders when it comes to subjects like that.

mastrius wrote:

SPOILERS

The breaking up part.

Spoilers
    I just stopped, honestly. I'm on the Fourth Sphere of the Empireo and this game just does. Not. Stop. And everything's Vincent's saying is indicated he's taking on Boss so he can arrange to meet Katherine

But even like you said, things being pre-decided up to the break-up...that's just so dumb. We don't see any of Vincent and Katherine's relationship before the game, so to me, the player controlling him, Vincent has been nothing but an apathetic dick to her. Then to be presented with cutscenes like "Oh she means so much to me, I need to hold her dear!" It's awful. If they want to give me a linear story, then give me a linear story, don't give me choice, and please make the female lead that the main character apparently really loves a little bit more than a frigid ice queen bitch.

If what you're saying is true, then maybe Catherine would be there had I finished the Empireo. But even that would still feel disjointed considering the scenes that Atlus already "chose" for me to see.

Who knows? Certainly not me. I'm finished with this game. It was a neat experiment and I applaud the balls of Atlus for making it and, much moreso, even releasing it in the US. I'm glad this game exists. It's just...very flawed.

*shrugs* I don't find it flawed in the least. Falsely advertised? Possibly I would agree on such a thing. But to each their own on if you think it's flawed. I am highly addicted to this game and love it to death. I've put in a good 70 or 80 hours so far. I love it. And this is coming from someone who has bought it twice now. Loved it even more in English of course but...regardless of that. I think it's an excellent game and an excellent change of pace from all the obvious shit I've been playing lately.

• AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular

Huh?
    At this point the game never even specifies which "her" Vincent is talking about.
    Keep on playing and it all becomes very clear.

• MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    Well I just got the normal cheaters ending. I find it odd because I pretty much had the needle buried in the chaotic end, they would have to make the gauge bigger for it to register me as being more chaotic, yet didn't get the true cheater ending.
    Don't get me wrong it was still a great ending but kinda want to see just how epic the true cheater ending is. Also Catherines dad was kind of awesome.

sig5ez4.jpg
    Malechai wrote:
    Well I just got the normal cheaters ending. I find it odd because I pretty much had the needle buried in the chaotic end, they would have to make the gauge bigger for it to register me as being more chaotic, yet didn't get the true cheater ending.
    Don't get me wrong it was still a great ending but kinda want to see just how epic the true cheater ending is. Also Catherines dad was kind of awesome.
    If you had the needle maxed in the red then you answered one of the questions to freedom in the last chapter "wrong". They need to all be answered per your alignment for the True endings.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Akilae wrote:

Huh?
    At this point the game never even specifies which "her" Vincent is talking about.
    Keep on playing and it all becomes very clear.
    I picked up on the subtitles thing right away, but going with Catherine is still fairly unbelievable. Vincent is fully aware that she's the hotness, but the extent of his interaction with her is a handful of brief conversations in a bar, a few cellphone messages, and one sexual encounter where he was actually conscious. I just find it really hard to believe that he'd suddenly be all, "She's the most important thing in my life!!! I can be a hero now!!!" Vincent's a pretty confused guy, but we're even more confused than he is because we know very little of what his relationship with Katherine has actually been like. Heck, you get to see Katherine looking happy like once in the whole game, and that's right near the end when you get an archived photo of her from the cell phone. For almost the entire game we don't even know if Vincent has ever been genuinely happy together with Katherine. Sure it's said that they've been together for so long that things may have settled into normalcy, but it's something that I don't actually know except from trying to see how he behaves and how others talk about them. In the end I wasn't so much Vincent as I was somebody watching Vincent. Stay Golden, I guess.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    I don't really understand the complaints about the plot
    Of course they had a happy relationship. You don't hang around someone who makes you miserable for 5 years! It's not a huge leap to see that the whole pregnancy thing is making Vincent worried about where his life is going, and then he cheats on her without even realizing it (due to a magical succubus, no less).

You're right that you're watching Vincent. The only time you're controlling him is when you're in the bar or pushing blocks. This isn't an RPG! It's a movie where you get to vote on the ending, plus block puzzles.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Fuck this game. I really do not enjoy the puzzles at all. I just spent like 20 tries on one of the final ones and could not figure out what to do. I look at videos online, of the correct difficulty(easy) and the blocks they use to beat it aren't fucking there! I just want this game to end so I can finish the story and then shelve it, I am so frustrated with it.

Oh, and maybe they should have some more fucking checkpoints. Too many times have I had to repeat long sections of a level in the second half, it's annoying and stupid. Making them pickups is fucking stupid, too, just give me a checkpoint when I get to a certain height.

I wish I had rented this. The story is great, but it's not worth all the frustration. I doubt I'll ever play this again, this game makes me want to hurl the controller through the wall.

It's funny how people are coming back in here and saying this stuff after I remember saying not too far back about how...this is not you controlling Vincent. This is you watching Vincents life unfold. I got told no. Well it is. I'm sorry but that's just the truth. Man you guys need to even see the freaking opening to the fourth Babel stage. Trisha even says so. She even says so AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME MAN. She talks to "You" the gamer. Saying how you're about to watch Vincents life unfold.

Then maybe they shouldn't have given us the option on how to treat C and K over the course of the game.

Fuck this game. I really do not enjoy the puzzles at all. I just spent like 20 tries on one of the final ones and could not figure out what to do. I look at videos online, of the correct difficulty(easy) and the blocks they use to beat it aren't fucking there! I just want this game to end so I can finish the story and then shelve it, I am so frustrated with it.

Oh, and maybe they should have some more fucking checkpoints. Too many times have I had to repeat long sections of a level in the second half, it's annoying and stupid. Making them pickups is fucking stupid, too, just give me a checkpoint when I get to a certain height.

I wish I had rented this. The story is great, but it's not worth all the frustration. I doubt I'll ever play this again, this game makes me want to hurl the controller through the wall.

Ouch. Yeah some people just can't get this game down. It's the sad truth. Just wasn't for you sadly. I myself am able to go through on Hard no problems at all now. It's like how my friend can tear through Ninja Gaiden but I can't get past the fourth level. It's rugged. Sometimes it's just the way it is.

(Still love Ninja Gaiden regardless.)

Then maybe they shouldn't have given us the option on how to treat C and K over the course of the game.

Of course they should. Your ending is affected by your bar and the questions you choose at the end.

When I can't even use a walkthrough video because every one of them shows a bunch of blocks that aren't even present when I play, and those blocks are the only way to get up, I fucking give up.

When I can't even use a walkthrough video because every one of them shows a bunch of blocks that aren't even present when I play, and those blocks are the only way to get up, I fucking give up.

Could be different reasons for that. The levels are all the same for everyone. Different difficulties have different block setups of course but. Is it an English walkthrough you're using and are they on Very Easy? There is a Very Easy. Yes. But I'd bet there's something to it.

I've got the right difficulty and version.

I've got the right difficulty and version.

Hmmmm.....What level is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rCLeVKvtwU

At about 2:09

That wall with all those red blocks? Yeah, like, a bunch of it just isn't there. Specifically, the two blocks that need to be pulled out to start scaling it.

Alright try this.

You see that one red block to the far left? Pull it out. Pull it right. Then pull out the red above it when it's pulled to the right. So now you have two stacked blocks. Then pull the bottom block right again. Hop on top and push the top one to the left. It should edge. Then push the bottom one left and hop on and then hop onto the higher one. Then pull out the red on the 3rd level. Make your staircase. Hop to the second red block. Push the 3rd level one to the left. Then hop down. Push the second level to the left. Then hop down and push the bottom left. Now you have a staircase.

If that makes no sense I will try to make a diagram.

Pretty sure at least some of those blocks weren't there either, but I gave up and went to bed.

I had a wall full of holes instead of a solid one.

• SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    I'm up to the seventh night.

After hearing all the stories about Stage 6, I was worried I would only be able to do one or two stages, but I was able to get through all of them while only dying a couple times. I don't think I died at all on 6-3, but it took a lot of resets and at least half-an-hour before I figured out how to reach the top.

*sigh* I am not looking forward to trying to gold that one.

• Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    I just finally beat 5-3 a couple hours ago

6-1 and 6-2 were actually such a relief after that

I think my thing is that I don't like shit chasing me. Yes, there's technically a timer on the other stages too but they're very, very lenient.

Some of the later levels have the blocks drop REALLY fast. Like, only a few seconds before they make the bottom level drop. In fact, I think 6-3 is one of them.

Quadrangle Gold on Hard complete. I got really angry when I practiced after the checkpoint for like 20 minutes in stage 2 to get my end path down, and then when I climbed back up it was completely different blocks. Turns out I had to push a block next to the checkpoint away because everything was one step too high. I don't even know why I pushed it the first time before hitting the checkpoint. Strangely enough I think the boss was actually easier than on normal. It only took me about 8 minutes to gold it.

Well fuck, after much frustration I finally beat the game, and despite having my meter right dead in the midde I got the bad lover ending instead of one of the freedom endings. So after all that I get a shit ending, too.

Ugh.

• MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Well fuck, after much frustration I finally beat the game, and despite having my meter right dead in the middle I got the bad lover ending instead of one of the freedom endings. So after all that I get a shit ending, too.

Ugh.

I feel your pain. Found a chart out there with what you have to do to get all the different endings. If you have a save from the beginning of the final night you could probably use it to get your ending. I'll edit in the URL in a bit.

Edit: For the most part spoiler free. Spoiler free for anyone that hasn't made it to the end game yet. http://catherinethegame.wikia.com/wiki/Endings

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    Well I'm up to the third night and I have decided I am at least going to beat it 4 different ways.

The first way (currently) is I am going to play as Vincent. IE answering every question how this guy would answer them based on this actions in the cutscenes.
    The Second time I am going to play as me. answering the questions how I would action answer them.
    The third time I am going to play it s a saint (AKA the semi-faithful boyfriend to K)
    The fourth time as a an asshole BF to K and doing anything to curry favor with C

Should be interesting to see what endings I'll wind up with.

Well. Obelisk is down. Just the freaking Axis Mundi and I will have 100% this game. So close. Will do it tomorrow. When I get 1000/1000. I shall come in here and go. HUZZAH! uzzah!....zzah....zah...(I shouted it from the mountains. That was echo.)

• PeffPeff Registered User regular
    So if I have a separate save to go back and do all the golds, will those carry over once I start a new game or do I need to beat it on that save too?

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2011
    Stage 9 Gold is all that's left for hard mode now. Stage 7 was really good for hard mode I have to say, although I of course still got frustrated at the last "level" because that bell won't shut up. Except for the boss, fuck that guy. I can't stand that boss. The levels were good though. They were short but had some creative twists on the normal mode puzzles, they didn't have ridiculous timing like the Clock Tower's bombs, but more importantly they were short so I didn't get frustrated trying to remember how to solve 3 minutes of level. Oh and they had checkpoints. So I could actually practice the levels at the parts I needed to, rather than replaying the entire level every single time. I'm still angry at 4-1. No checkpoint in the level at all. Fuck you 4-1.

Gilder on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    mastrius wrote:

SPOILERS

The breaking up part.

Spoilers

Would you happen to have a PS3 copy?