As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Comic Thread for Monday 7/8/11

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I played the crap out of Diablo 2.

... and I never played it online. That was a time in my life when I was exceedingly skeptical of online gaming.

I played it with friends in a LAN setup a few times though.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    nearly the entirety of my PC games are through Steam

which is actually like, over $1100 worth of games

so always-online DRM is something i could give not a single fuck about

if my ISP shits out on me, I got bigger problems to bitch about than "I CAN'T PLAY DIABLO 3"

especially since I could even give less of a fuck about D3's single player

battle.net or get out

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    I like that there is some sort of arena-like PvP mode while at the same time the VP of game design is saying that the game isn't really designed for competitive play.

Always online DRM is incredibly obnoxious, speaking as someone who used to be borderline frothing at the mouth during extended maintenance on WoW patch days.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    It's just really amazingly annoying to be playing a game that is pretty much a single player experience, and then your internet connection burps or flickers and whoops now you're kicked off and you lost your save awesome.

edit: can't you play steam games offline? I'm pretty sure you can.

Langly on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    yeah I have to say this dosen't bother me since if I play Diablo 3 I'm going to be playing it online.

I'm sure there are people who are interested in or even care only about the single player experience.. but I have to imagine that is a pretty fucking tiny segment of the D3 audience.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Balefuego wrote:
    yeah I have to say this dosen't bother me since if I play Diablo 3 I'm going to be playing it online.

I'm sure there are people who are interested in or even care only about the single player experience.. but I have to imagine that is a pretty fucking tiny segment of the D3 audience.

yeah it seems very much like a fake thing to bitch about

who actually gave a shit about D2's single-player? Who are these mythical, non-battle.net people? I want to meet them.

Diablo 3 is basically like a MMO at this point, might as well accept it.

"OH BUT MY CONNECTION COULD DIE AND THEN MY SAVED GAME IS LOST"

how is that different than playing multiplayer anything and your connection poops out

besides, do you really think they'd institute a system where if your connection is lost it IMMEDIATELY SHUTS DOWN EVERYTHING and it can't possibly save oh god my three hours of work

I'm sorry no

bitch at me when Civ VI has online-full-time-DRM shit for singleplayer

I dont think any of my "offline" characters ever made it out of Act 2 in Diablo 2

the game was p. boring playing that way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I

I play single player :(

not even very far in Act 2 either

like, I think maybe one of them made it past the sewers

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Langly wrote:
    I

Holy shit kids look

a unicorn!

why don't you just play Torchlight

I tried single-player Hardcore in Diablo 2 once

I figured multiplayer Hardcore would be impossible due to some lag hiccup getting me killed

but nope

didn't even make it out of Act I, Rakanishu got me

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    if my ISP shits out on me, I got bigger problems to bitch about than "I CAN'T PLAY DIABLO 3"

Y'know, I don't think I've ever seen anyone put it this way when always-on DRM is being discussed. "OMG IF MY NET GOES OUT I CAN'T PLAY." You shouldn't have a problem with the companies for having always on DRM, you should have a problem with your ISP because not there's a lot of other shit you can't be doing.

• Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    I

Holy shit kids look

a unicorn!

Because maybe they like the specific quirks of Diablo gameplay and the storyline and like being able to take breaks whenever they feel like it without inconveniencing other people?

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
    like, my home phone line runs through my ISP

if my ISP takes a shit, my home phone stops working

so uh

yeah no bitching that I can't play Diablo 3 would not be high on my list of things to be pissed about at that moment.

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    I

Holy shit kids look

a unicorn!

Because maybe they like the specific quirks of Diablo gameplay and the storyline and like being able to take breaks whenever they feel like it without inconveniencing other people?

You can still play solo.

Create game --> Set password --> Don't share password

• Onslaught_FeiOnslaught_Fei Registered User regular
    I'm in favor of always on online DRM.

Yup.

I'm a commie.

XBL: Onslaught Fei
    Hunter wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    I

Holy shit kids look

a unicorn!

You can still play solo.

No we know, but you're still having to be online to play a single player game. It's just tedius if you have a crappy connection.

Honestly if my computer isn't constantly online when I am using it

I consider it a problem that needs immediate troubleshooting, even if I'm just playing Fallout New Vegas or typing in Word

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2011
    Ah, the classic "this is in no way a problem for me so I don't know what you're bitching about" argument.

A duck! on
    Langly wrote:
    Hunter wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    I

Holy shit kids look

a unicorn!

You can still play solo.

No we know, but you're still having to be online to play a single player game. It's just tedius if you have a crappy connection.

Look you may be playing it by yourself, but Diablo has not been an actual single player game since the first one. It is a multiplayer game

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, Duck's right. The geese that are insisting the game is inherently multiplayer or that they're always online so everyone else should always be online are being stunningly myopic.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Balefuego wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    Hunter wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    I

Holy shit kids look

a unicorn!

You can still play solo.

Look you may be playing it by yourself, but Diablo has not been an actual single player game since the first one. It is a multiplayer game

But I hate people

Also I almost strictly played D2 single player.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    Also I almost strictly played D2 single player.

I did, too. It wasn't really that fun online.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    Hunter wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    I

Holy shit kids look

a unicorn!

You can still play solo.

The same argument could be said of the Warcraft RTS games, but I know a LOT of people who don't enjoy the multiplayer at all.

But the game is inherently multiplayer, and Blizzard is clearly designing it around the fact. I'm not saying people can't prefer to play the game by themselves or wish it wasn't set up like this but Pony wasn't wrong when he said this game was basically a mini MMO. You can play WOW by yourself too but you still need to be online to do it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2011
    Balefuego wrote:
    But the game is inherently multiplayer, and Blizzard is clearly designing it around the fact. I'm not saying people can't prefer to play the game by themselves or wish it wasn't set up like this but Pony wasn't wrong when he said this game was basically a mini MMO. You can play WOW by yourself too but you still need to be online to do it.

I don't see how forcing you to be online equals the game being inherently multiplayer. You're using the DRM to justify its own existence in a circular argument. And no, you can't play WoW by yourself. You are forced to play in the same world as everyone else on a given server. That's a terrible comparison.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Balefuego wrote:

It's fair to say that Diablo III is inherently a multiplayer game, especially because you must be online even to play single-player, but Diablo II? Not so much.

Javen wrote:
    Balefuego wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    Hunter wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    I

Holy shit kids look

a unicorn!

You can still play solo.

The same argument could be said of the Warcraft RTS games, but I know a LOT of people who don't enjoy the multiplayer at all.

That is still different because the Warcraft games had specific separate campaigns for single player. But even in that case, doesn't Starcraft 2 require you to login to bnet also?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Langly wrote:
    Hunter wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    I

Holy shit kids look

a unicorn!

You can still play solo.

But that's not what his complaint was. He was complaining about inconveniencing other people by needing breaks or having bowel movements, which is not an issue because you can clearly play solo. Yes you have to be online, but you can play solo.

Druhim wrote:
    Yeah, Duck's right. The geese that are insisting the game is inherently multiplayer or that they're always online so everyone else should always be online are being stunningly myopic.

Well yeah, that's stupid. My point was that people can still play solo if they're wall flowers or worry about how their organic body functions might interrupt the group play dynamic.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    Balefuego wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    Hunter wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    I

Holy shit kids look

a unicorn!

You can still play solo.

That is still different because the Warcraft games had specific separate campaigns for single player. But even in that case, doesn't Starcraft 2 require you to login to bnet also?

No, you only need to connect once to install the game. After that you can go totally offline forever if you want.

Druhim wrote:
    Balefuego wrote:

I don't see how forcing you to be online equals the game being inherently multiplayer. You're using the DRM to justify its own existence in a circular argument. And no, you can't play WoW by yourself. You are forced to play in the same world as everyone else on a given server. That's a terrible comparison.

Being forced to be online is not what makes the game inherently multiplayer, the gameplay being designed as a multiplayer role based co-op dungeon crawler with tradable loot is what makes the game inherently multiplayer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Considering how many lag issues people run into just within our little group of fighting game connoisseurs I can understand why some people who intended to play by themselves would be pissed off. I wasn't into doing solo "Meph runs" or other forms of farming in D2 but a lot of people were and this could cut down on that ability considerably.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Balefuego wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    Balefuego wrote:

Being forced to be online is not what makes the game inherently multiplayer, the gameplay being designed as a multiplayer role based co-op dungeon crawler with tradable loot is what makes the game inherently multiplayer.

You're being silly. Can I play and beat the game single player? Then it's also single player.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    No, you only need to connect once to install the game. After that you can go totally offline forever if you want.

oh did it?

hm, that's interesting

all these games with offline modes I didn't even know about until recently

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    If the single-player and multi-player are identical content-wise, I don't see how that makes the game inherently multi-player.

There was nothing different about Diablo II online than offline, other than people being dickheads entering my game to try to kill me.

In fact, in the first Diablo, single-player was arguably better than the multi-player because the quests weren't static.

Druhim wrote:
    Balefuego wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    Balefuego wrote:

You're being silly. Can I play and beat the game single player? Then it's also single player.

I think what he's trying to say is that Blizzard is putting more effort into the multi-player aspect than they are with single-player?

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    It's funny, I've shifted so much on this topic over the years

During the original Steam release I was still on dial-up, and things like forced updates (which are only just being addressed, years later) and constant online presence were, unsurprisingly, something I resented hugely

The idea of this all pervasive (and invasive) DRM bogeyman looming over everything I played was a horrible injustice

But in practise once I'd secured a broadband connection and a few of the kinks were ironed out, it ended up being a fantastic platform that I've thrown obscene amounts of money at.

That said, when my ISP fails Steam’s offline mode has never ever worked for me. Not once.

And recently I’ve been locked out of my account but that’s an entirely different matter. I just hope to god I can reclaim it

I forget my point, but I think it's that just because some of us are okay with this kind of DRM, I can entirely appreciate why others consider it a giant pain in the arse.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
This discussion has been closed.