As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC Comics September 2007 Solicitations

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm so not going to start a company v.s. company debate because honestly, I think they're completely retarded and petty, and I don't want to shit up this thread. I'm just going to say that I agree with Sars_Boy's statement that DC's continuing on a downward slope (at least so far as its second and third tier characters are concerned).

As for my statement on continuity, please let me remind you that, as of IC, nobody at DC can even answer whether or not Birthright is in continuity, and JLA's origin as described in Year One was first contradicted in the actual books, only to be reaffirmed by a back-up feature in 52. That's saying something.

Munch on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007
    Well, here's the main thing: this discussion is veering off the topic of the thread, so let's steer it back if we can.

DJ Eebs on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    According to monthly Superman writer Kurt Busiek, the origin of Superman in the post-Infinite Crisis New Earth continuity has yet to be established, meaning that both this series and Man of Steel may no longer be canon.

I wasn't trying to start a Marvel vs DC debate either. I was just pointing out that if you're going to call DC's continuity faulty, then Marvel's still has it beat.

EDIT: Back on topic I can't wait to see Earth-3.

Furu on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    At least Parallax won't be as bad as last time since the actions of the characters won't be attributed to the character himself.

And maybe he'll become Parallax with an act of self-sacrifice, and be a really interesting villain as well.

If they couldn't think of anything else to do with the character, then maybe this is simply the alternative to not using him at all.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    rchou wrote: »
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »

Go ahead folks, read the solicit and start complaining.

oh fuck that noise.

FUCK! God damn it. So the only end result to stop that person who now has so much power is to kill him, since no one could stop Hal without killing him, the new Para has to take a dirtnap.

Man....can't we, I don't know....kill some villains for a change? Also, didn't they learn their fucking lesson?

EDIT Our only hope is that in one of the other universes Kyle turned out like Sinestro, other Earth Kyle comes to New Earth and starts shit as Para, everyone thinking he's our Kyle who's currently traveling the multiverse. I would accept an evil Kyle in that form.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited June 2007
    Again, I point out that Kyle just got put on a superhero team. The odds of him suddenly being Parallax are pretty low.

Furu on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Yeah because Marvel's suddenly going to start dramatically altering their history so that readers are no longer sure which characters did what, what's in or out of continuity, or why characters are acting completely unlike themselves.

DC's already got that market cornered, so really, what'd be the point in even trying to compete?

remember the Clone Saga? Or how about Sins Past? Hell, even more recently with Civil War?

Algertman on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Why are you still continuing with this retardedness?

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »
    Yeah because Marvel's suddenly going to start dramatically altering their history so that readers are no longer sure which characters did what, what's in or out of continuity, or why characters are acting completely unlike themselves.

DC's already got that market cornered, so really, what'd be the point in even trying to compete?

remember the Clone Saga? Or how about Sins Past? Hell, even more recently with Civil War?

What did I just say?

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2007
    You know, I've never ever read anything Wildstorm before.

Maybe I should start.

Furu on
    edited June 2007
    Furu wrote: »

Maybe I should start.

The only Wildstorm series I've ever given an honest read to was The Intimates, which I'm sure not a lot of people know about.

It had a hero named Punchy whose powers came from a magical boxing nun puppet. Mostly, it was about a school for superhumans.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    The four Stormwatch TPB and The two Authority arcs also by Ellis were good. I also enjoyed The Monarchy but others did not.

graizur on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    The Captain Atom: Armageddon miniseries took place in Wildstorm and was pretty damn awesome.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Welcome to Tranquility is the best Wildstorm book no one is reading. I'm so gonna kill all of you in your sleep if this book gets cancelled. :x

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Planetary is Wildstorm and is the best thing ever.

It wasn't really a continuity title though. Completely disconnected, I think. Other than the Bleed being present.

Mai-Kero on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like the Mr. Majestic Wildstorm stuff. Majestic is a cool character.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Maybe I should start.

Planetary

Algertman on
    edited June 2007
    oh and Ex Machina.

Planetary and Ex Machina are ridiculously good.

The new Midnighter is also awesome. The first arc? Best thing ever involving any of The Authority characters.

Mai-Kero on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    The new Midnighter is also awesome. The first arc? Best thing ever involving any of The Authority characters.

Agreed.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Maybe DC is continuing a trend of idiocy.

Not unless people randomly start becoming skrulls

No, they'll be Everyman

Garlic Bread on
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

It wasn't really a continuity title though. Completely disconnected, I think. Other than the Bleed being present.
    Well, there is also some talk of Jenny Sparks but it isnt that important.

BiggNife on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ex Machina is the only Wildstorm book I read, but it's in its own universe.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007

Maybe I should start.

I've read the first volume of The Authority

It's not bad

It's just

Wildstorm doesn't interest me at all

I mean, Welcome to Tranquility is written by Gail Simone and I still don't care about it

Garlic Bread on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Are they not good guys enough for you?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Yeah, it took place in the mainstream Wildstorm Universe at the time. Hence Jenny Sparks and the references to the events in Ellis's authority run.

It diverged as it went on, but I just assume it to be in some alternate, better WU now.

Sars_Boy on
    edited June 2007
    Are they not good guys enough for you?

They could be nicer

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I loved how Captain Atom's trip to the WSU set him up to be a major player in the DCU, having discovered what true heroism was from watching the Authority and WildCATS act like complete assholes.

Then he comes back to the DCU and the first thing he does is blow up the rest of Bludhaven and get set up to be a bad guy.

Munch on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hopefully they'll use either Countdown or this Search-For-Ray spinoff to explain exactly how Wildstorm's Earth ended up as part of the 52. Cause I find it doubtful that Mr.Mind affected it like the others concidering the history it has. Did the near-simotanious rebirth of the Multiverse in IC and Wildstorm's soft-reset caused Earth-WS to become an extra Earth for the Multiverse or did it end up replacing one of the 52 unknowinglly? And what happened to the alternate realities connected to Earth-WS before the reset? All erased or do they still exist somewhere in another Multiverse that now has a hole in it's side thanks to a missing reality? And if the Monitors can't see anything inside of the Bleed, could it be the only thing protecting Earth-WS from the Monitors?

Owenashi on
    edited June 2007
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll use either Countdown or this Search-For-Ray spinoff to explain exactly how Wildstorm's Earth ended up as part of the 52. Cause I find it doubtful that Mr.Mind affected it like the others concidering the history it has. Did the near-simotanious rebirth of the Multiverse in IC and Wildstorm's soft-reset caused Earth-WS to become an extra Earth for the Multiverse or did it end up replacing one of the 52 unknowinglly? And what happened to the alternate realities connected to Earth-WS before the reset? All erased or do they still exist somewhere in another Multiverse that now has a hole in it's side thanks to a missing reality? And if the Monitors can't see anything inside of the Bleed, could it be the only thing protecting Earth-WS from the Monitors?

It's part of the multiverse so they can have crossovers

That's it

Garlic Bread on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

That's it

I thought they got rid of the multi-verse?

The Muffin Man on
    edited June 2007

That's it

They brought it back with 52.

Mai-Kero on
    edited June 2007

That's it

Oh, hey Muffin Man! I heard you got crushed under a rock

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2007
    Is that a Lord of the Flies reference, or are you just mean-spirited?

Though I guess the Lord of the Flies reference would also be mean-spirited.

Just what did your parents do to you anyway, Keith?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007

That's it

Someones touchy about a completely honest question.

The Muffin Man on
    edited June 2007

That's it

Well, since they, you know, revealed the Multiverse was back in like December, you must not have been paying attention to anything

Garlic Bread on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is that a Lord of the Flies reference, or are you just mean-spirited?

Though I guess the Lord of the Flies reference would also be mean-spirited.

Just what did your parents do to you anyway, Keith?

Made him born a ginger.

Bloods End on
    edited June 2007

That's it

Well, since they, you know, revealed the Multiverse was back in like December, you must not have been paying attention to anything

This is entirely true.

I've never made claims otherwise.
    Ever.
    But I understand.
    Someone is uninformed, so the natural reaction is to insult them, that's cool.

The Muffin Man on
    edited June 2007

That's it

This is entirely true.

I've never made claims otherwise.
    Ever.
    But I understand.
    Someone is uninformed, so the natural reaction is to insult them, that's cool.

Look, it'd be one thing if they announced it yesterday

but it was six months ago

and you read/post on a comic book forum

so yeah

i can insult you

Garlic Bread on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    rchou wrote: »
    Bad Karma wrote: »

Go ahead folks, read the solicit and start complaining.

oh fuck that noise.

FUCK! God damn it. So the only end result to stop that person who now has so much power is to kill him, since no one could stop Hal without killing him, the new Para has to take a dirtnap.

Man....can't we, I don't know....kill some villains for a change? Also, didn't they learn their fucking lesson?

EDIT Our only hope is that in one of the other universes Kyle turned out like Sinestro, other Earth Kyle comes to New Earth and starts shit as Para, everyone thinking he's our Kyle who's currently traveling the multiverse. I would accept an evil Kyle in that form.

Goddamnit, first they bring back Hal because they realized how big of a mistake it was to make him evil. So they admit that it was a mistake, now they go and do this? What the fuck DC, what the fuck?

So was that whole Ion mini pointless or what? I mean, why bother setting him up as the "torch bearer" if he's only going to become evil in the end? I guess it isn't certain Kyle's going to be evil, but goddamn if that quote by Van Sciver doesn't put the nail in the coffin.

I guess I'll have to be content with having a Guy Gardner book to read, because they are determined to kill Kyle off apparently :(

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited June 2007
    Parallax-Kyle kills all the Green Lanterns except for Guy and Kilowog and then they beat Kyle and Kyle snaps out of it and they revive everyone but Hal

Garlic Bread on