As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Barbie: be a fascist fashionista

LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Games and Technology
Barbie: Jet Set & Style

Barbie_jet_Set__Style_Wii_Cover.jpg

I know what you're thinking: when will it be released and is there multiplayer?

Sadly, THQ has decided to only publish the game on the Wii and DS, so I doubt they'll be any added multiplayer. I know, I know; we've been clamoring for a good Barbie multiplayer game since Race & Ride, but we'll just have to wait out a bit longer.

BUT, Game Machine Studios (GMS) has promised a list of new features and they've certainly delivered. Behold, the teaser trailer:

Gametrailers
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-trailer-barbie-jet/718652

Commercial-less youtube version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG2Ge6_EQkw

So what do we have to look forward to this time around?

First off, customizable characters on par with those in Bioware games like ME and DA:O. GMS has finally listened to the community and offered tons of new shit this time around.

Customizable characters
white, black, and hispanic
Make up (up to 9 different shades)
Blush
Eye liner
Lip stick
Hair Dye (green, finally. Remember the Groom and Glam debacle?)

You nailed it
customizable nail colors and patterns for each individual finger

Wardrobe
Stargazers ballgown
Supernova dress with Chickenwing
Britney Spears circa 1998

Hair Styles
Short
Medium
Long

Some things that have been hinted at but we aren't quite sure how they'll work

979-1gp6ElSt55.jpg

Advanced Salon Features
Curl your own hair
Trim your own hair (hopefully, this will also apply to those unsightly bangs)

Travel the world
Rio De Janeiro
Milan
Los Angeles
Paris
London
New York
???
???
???

Wishlist from the fans
Pink world
Personal jet

Release date and system
Sept. 20
DS and Wii

So let's talk about Barbie: Jet Set & Style.
What are you looking forward to the most? Do you think we'll be able to unlock extra costumes through our Riding Camp save files? Where are you going to visit first?

Feel free to open the conversation up to other Barbie games as well. Let's keep the flamewar down a bit though; we have enough Gloom and Glamours on the official forums, and we don't need to take that here.

Lilnoobs on

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I played Barbie on the NES. That's the extent of my Barbie experience.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    This looks fabulous

• Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    I like the cut of your jib, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Hmm. When it comes to girly dress-up games, I think I'll stick with Style Savvy, thank you very much.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    You know, this is how the My Little Pony thing started...

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    I appreciate this thread's existence.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Where does Ultor fit into this

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Hmm. When it comes to girly dress-up games, I think I'll stick with Style Savvy, thank you very much.

I'm unfamiliar with the game. What does Style Savvy have to offer that Jet, Set & Style doesn't? I literally can not see the difference.

Has anyone got a fix on the rest of the locations yet? I'm betting one of them is Tokyo and another is in South America.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote:

I'm unfamiliar with the game. What does Style Savvy have to offer that Jet, Set & Style doesn't? I literally can not see the difference.
    Maybe you live in PAL Country like me. In which case, it's called Style Boutique.

The object of the game is rather simple, really. You own and run a boutique and it's your job to sell your customers clothes (and make sure you don't run out of stock). Of course, that's easier said than done. Hippie chicks are unlikely to buy expensive gala dresses, career women have little affinity for punk fashion, goths generally dislike bright, peppy colours and so on and so forth.

Of course, after selling all that stuff at a considerable mark-up, you'll eventually have enough money to start changing the look of your own avatar. Businesswomen may not want to look like a spiky-haired punk, but they have little trouble buying their clothes from one (provided said clothes are to their tastes, of course).

In short, it seems Style Savvy/Boutique has more customization options and more gameplay than this Barbie game is going to have, thus making it the superior girly dress-up game.