As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jesus. Up on the Oliphant. Cuttin down muffuggahz

12346»

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Keep it up. :^:

• The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    I like the alladin one, although the half-sun in the corner doesn't seem like the best place to place your sun (do you want it in? or out?)

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I've gone through your thread ninjai and I have to say kudos to you on the improvements you've made already. Your thread is really inspiring and makes me want to try my hand at drawing again. My problem is I always revert to a crappy anime style whenever I try to draw from imagination, and it never feels like I improve from drawing real life :(

Maybe I need to just suck it up and try to draw at least a picture a day, and maybe get a few books to do studies from

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    Just popping in to say hi, and that you're doing great!

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    I've gone through your thread ninjai and I have to say kudos to you on the improvements you've made already. Your thread is really inspiring and makes me want to try my hand at drawing again. My problem is I always revert to a crappy anime style whenever I try to draw from imagination, and it never feels like I improve from drawing real life :(

Maybe I need to just suck it up and try to draw at least a picture a day, and maybe get a few books to do studies from

My sister has the same problem @ anime style etc, its like the guys around here are always saying, draw from life, draw from life, and draw all the time. I haven't been able to do the last part of that recently because of winding down, and being busy, but I draw when I can, and always look for inspiration or some project to get excited about. Good luck!

@Obi, Nib, Hatter, thanks guys. :)

beautifulsoundwaves.jpg

There was a female soldier on my flight who, while drop dead gorgeous, seemed impregnable behind her music.

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    pshaw, she was daring you to pregnate her
    musical barrier
    !

edit: changed how i want to spell non existent words

farbekrieg on
    Heh... impregnateable... i c watchu did der

edited September 2011
    I decided to rehash this, so I removed the post

ninjai on
    edited August 2011
    stylistically i challenge the blue shirt with blue tie look... additionally it looks like you are reverting to an earlier style that i think iruka mentioned pages back, (mostly about the mouth pretty much appears anywhere on the face, panel 2 and 3 particularly. But structure in general looks really weak).

panel 1 the arm seems out of place (at least i think it is an arm, it has no hand), as it looks like he is an amputee (strengthened by panel 3) it feels extraneous, but i think for flow he should either have them drawn in all or not at all, going halfsies is confusing.

panel 5 the old guy looks like he might be eating a massive bowl of easter eggs? Its freaking me out man ;) So i really like that panel, it also seems to be the only one that implies a 3D look, everything else looks very flat (simple can work, but alot of your background stuff comes off as lazy?)

Then again this entire webcomic thing looks hard, maybe you could purchase steal that furry themed universe that was being bandied about earlier?

(i keeeeeeeeeeed)

farbekrieg on
    It looks lazy because I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. I mean look at any of the backgrounds I've done, consistency is all over the place, and placing people in an environment is mind boggling to me... Also he's not an amputee, the page isn't done because I can't bring myself to finish that heaping pile of shit.

And yeah the style thing... It never really got fixed, it just got ignore.....

I start life drawing / painting / environment painting /drawing next week from a few private tutors that come highly recommended... Hopefully i can stop being
    so embarrassed by my own work

yeah but the good news is there are a lot of webcomic people with threads and most of the advice is probably applicable across different webcomic ideas

checking out the early pages of ronny's whomp thread, fletcher's antics thread, and squidbunny's thread will probably be alot more useful than anything id be able to give you.

also ive seen this book thrown around in a few different threads.

understandingcomics500.jpg

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    He already has Scott Mcclouds understanding comics I think.
    And well, if you can't bring yourself to finish heaping piles of shit you'll never finish a pile of gold. Here's a vid hatter posted on google+ some time ago

The more stuff you manage to finish, the faster it goes (except when it takes forever to finish, like the way one hour poses aren't good for much if you haven't started out with faster poses for practice because you need to practice the stuff that's on your level). It's not always fun to be an artist and your perception of your skills swing up and down like a sinuous line, when in fact your artistic skill is sort of linear really.
    edit: anybody have that graph of the artists appreciation of his work or know what it's called?

m3nace on
    Thanks m3nace yeah I actually have 2 copies of that book now because I forgot to remove it from my wishlist in a timely manner lol

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Haha, when I was little (.... Yeah alright, that was like yesterday) I sometimes bought two of the same dragonball book so I could color the other.

m3nace on
    heh. Dragonball coloring books... I don't remember those (<---denial )

And @ farb, I've actually read those a few times... U can't really help suck. I'm pretty sure this is one of those you have to suck a lot before you get better... Cuz having read both understanding comics and making comics, as well as the threads that you've mentioned plus others... It still looks like ass...

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    ninjai wrote:
    having read both understanding comics and making comics, as well as the threads that you've mentioned plus others... It still looks like ass...

It's wrong to expect that your stuff will magically be better just because you read some books. What's important is that you got something out of it - did you learn something new? Do you think you have a better...understanding of how to make comics after reading about understanding them? (hehe) Putting to use what you've learned is also its own teaching. (:

edited August 2011
    MD when are I going to get more of your arts?!

edit: I guess I could just click on that picture right there :P

yeah I lernt something, but I don't know how well I'm applying it.

ninjai on
    edited August 2011
    alright... finally getting into those drawing sessions and classes I've been talking about since forever. Finally able to start today. Monday is a drawing class, Wed oil painting, friday and saturday life drawing session. In the month of september the same guy that runs those classes/sessions is throwing together a landscape painting class that I'm signed up for.

Here are today's fruits. [/pun]

1 minute gestures
    wp000046.jpg
    wp000048z.jpg
    wp000049h.jpg
    ^^prolly my favorite gesture

5 minutes
    wp000056l.jpg
    wp000055m.jpg
    wp000056.jpg

idk how long
    wp000060e.jpg
    wp000059w.jpg

possibly the best thing I've ever drawn...
    wp000061t.jpg

Critiques/Tips for live drawing?

ninjai on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    The tip I have is keep doing it! Stop getting frustrated, you're doing everything right. You're not where you want to be yet in skill because that takes time. You should feel proud of yourself for how far you've come. Seriously, I'm not just being like "there there honey you're doing great" it's hard for you to see right now because all you're focusing on is your flaws but I'm seeing massive improvement so just keep going.

I'm not frustrated beav. Maybe I'm coming across that way, but I'm actually really proud of those life drawings because last year about this time I was going to that session before I deployed and it was fucking miserable, I'm really proud of that last one.

:D and Yeah I plan on keeping doing it... for a long time.

1> that is some really good looking sketches there
    2> damn now ive clicked on deviant art chasing forumer pictures
    it would be fantastic if the AC could host them all... but bandwidth is $$

edited August 2011
    Went to class today. Chris Alvarez (NSFW) is the teacher, private studio basis. He hired a new model today (who flaked out on us) so we had one of the other studio occupants model for us.

Working with Charcoal for the first time, 10 to 15 minute poses. The way I understand it is you aren't drawing anything, you're merely establishing light and dark shapes. If you have any pointers for working with charcoal plz let me know (links to other stuff would be nice too :D)

This one is probably the most accurate and lifelike piece from today. The others are spoilered for scroll.
    wp000096m.jpg
    wp000097z.jpg
    blurry photo... i couldn't get a good picture of this one for some reason.
    wp000089o.jpg
    This is my very first one. Was a little shy with the charcoal, didn't know quite how dark I should go so its a bit light. Not much contrast between light and darks.

wp000088z.jpg

ninjai on
    edited September 2011
    Double Post?

ninjai on
    edited August 2011
    Sppedpaint from life... sadly there was no beer left in that mug.

speedpaint.jpg
    wp000098.jpg

glass r hard

ninjai on
    edited August 2011
    More drawings from today. ... well yesterday at this point, its 5 AM here

wp000100j.jpg
    wp000099g.jpg
    wp000104.jpg

wp000103.jpg
    wp000104.jpg

some gestures
    wp000044.jpg

ninjai on
    edited August 2011
    Monochrome oil. The photos aren't very good, it appears that no matter which lighting I took it in, the oil reflected lots of light... suggestions on how to do that in the future?

32225610150776555040244.jpg
    mug and vase?
    32604810150776555625244.jpg
    a pear and abowl

ninjai on
    edited August 2011
    GET IT!? EFFEN Vodka!?... :|
    wp000113.jpg
    wp000114.jpg

This is my room!
    I just got the Jullian collapsible easel. Got a nifty drawer in it so I can take it out to my landscape painting class that starts in Septiembre por favor.
    wp000120.jpg

ninjai on
    Some more drawings from today.

The model was gorgeous and I strove against fate to draw her face, but alas, I am not good enough. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED! I'm all up in some inspired and challenged right now. Gonna go chill at the local coffee get place and draw.
    32938910150779236540244.jpg
    29394110150779236980244.jpg

edited September 2011
    wp000140.jpg
    some practice out of my anatomy book. about 10 mins or so

Some anatomy from imagination. I've come a long way understanding form and light.
    wp000141.jpg

My friend on the couch.
    wp000145.jpg

ninjai on
    edited September 2011
    wp000146z.jpg

Idea spawned from that 2 page comic contest. 1st page of 2, working on speech bubble placement. Some stuff is still not finished

Crits? Tips?

Also I need to know how to place text into photoshop

edit: It just occurred to me how short the brim of the hat are on the profile shots. Gonna have to fix that

ninjai on
    Didn't have time to work on this one much, some of the forms are off
    wp000158.jpg

I like this
    wp000157.jpg

edited September 2011
    wp000161.jpg

Didn't do so well today. The gesture turned out great, once I started shading/adding detail it all went to shit, especially once I started mixing compressed with vine charcoal. Nothing I'm proud of, my warm up gestures were terrible, a little discouraged. Gonna go draw more now.
    This is a guy who was drawing there too, he was amazing.
    wp000162.jpg

ninjai on
    edited September 2011
    Page one of a webcomic me and a friend are doing called office pirates
    pg01u.jpg

Gonna have to up the contrast on the face lines n stuff. Cuz they no can b seen

better?
    pg01s.jpg

ninjai on
  • GordonShephardGordonShephard Registered User regular
    ninjai wrote:
    stupidcomic2.jpg
    Spoilered for hideousness

ABSOLUTELY LOVE the BTBAM reference. Fucking top notch man, really kick-ass work.

Alright. Now, flay that shit,
    I like that you resisted the urge to copy paste a few screens for continuity, the art over all is solid (ive read web comics with far.. far.. far worse drawings), id say that panel 5 is actually extraneous to your joke, and might even detract from it (but im biased i view it as a peanuts teacher talking joke which has been done frequently), it might work better as a 1,2,4,6 and dropping the other 2 panels (id really prefer to see this joke in a three panel format but i really do enjoy those 4 panels, with the exception of the desk line 4.

edited September 2011
    farbekrieg wrote:
    I like that you resisted the urge to copy paste a few screens for continuity, the art over all is solid (Ive read web comics with far.. far.. far worse drawings),
    I can't quite tell if this is sarcasm. :P I personally think the final whump* sells the passive aggressive nature of the character, and frustration rather than anger, like beating your head against a wall. Maybe I'm wrong.

*not directly a reference to another webcomic
    :D
    ninjai wrote:
    stupidcomic2.jpg
    Spoilered for hideousness

ABSOLUTELY LOVE the BTBAM reference. Fucking top notch man, really kick-ass work.
    wp000173.jpg
    Thats what I'm wearing, what's on my chair, and yes that is The Parallax Hypersleep Dialogue on vinyl sleeve with the disc on the record player behind me.

ninjai on
    Its been a long time since I've uploaded anything. I had a rough patch with my artwork when working on that comic, cuz I'm a terrible artist and I stopped drawing for over a month... This is sort of a graveyard update, but I wanted to post something. I plan on uploading a lot more of my doodles from the last week in a bit, this stuff is sort of fan art for the movie "Rubber".

All of you:

Netflix.
    Rubber.
    Watch.
    Enjoy.

wp000017f.jpg
    wp000015.jpg
    wp000014o.jpg

edited November 2011
    wp000106t.jpg

So jerry and mike uploaded this video. The part at 5:46 made me trololol.... the mental image was high larious. so I'm-a drawd it. This is what I have so far.

started drawing it watching day[9] play amnesia... and got distracted. I'll work on it some moar

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/dvd-deleted-scenes-sample

Here are some additional things
    wp000108v.jpg
    wp000110w.jpg
    wp000127.jpg
    wp000112b.jpg
    I meant to say shoryuken... Man that is hard to pronounce.

And yes, you can borrow my copy of street fighter.

ninjai on