As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] 08/21 PAX 5v5 tournament announced!

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I'm so bad with Kennen... but even then he's so much fun. It does suck mightily when your glass cannon falls behind in cash farm and becomes a glass slipper instead.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Oh neat, we got a new pool of free characters already?

Not that I really care because Alistar is a boss.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    I'm so close to enough IP for LeBlanc... and then the servers go down. sigh.

It's theorycrafting time. So in Dominion you start at level 3 with 1300 gold.

So Jax Dominion build... 1 point in Q, W, E and Ninja Tabi... then a stack of wards. If you don't buy a stack of wards in the beginning you're a Goose. I said it.

Trynd build in Dominion... two points in Q, one point in E, Vampyric Sceptre, Cloak of Agility. Wards are for losers.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Dyvion wrote:
    I'm so close to enough IP for LeBlanc... and then the servers go down. sigh.

It's theorycrafting time. So in Dominion you start at level 3 with 1300 gold.

So Jax Dominion build... 1 point in Q, W, E and Ninja Tabi... then a stack of wards. If you don't buy a stack of wards in the beginning you're a Goose. I said it.

Trynd build in Dominion... two points in Q, one point in E, Vampyric Sceptre, Cloak of Agility. Wards are for losers.

I think boots 2 will be a necessary thing for just about everyone to start with.

It will also be important to start with Annie, get points in Q&E, then wreck the early teamfights via AoE stun.

With Love and Courage
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I want to buy Skarner. I guess it depends on the champ+skins deals, and what I think of them. Otherwise I'm content to wait a couple of weeks and try him out. But I already play a lot of dudes! Nasus, Swain, Ezreal, Galio, Taric, Kayle (who I would like to be buffed but I like her!)

I -also- want to try MONKEY. And he's free this week, so there're going to be a lot of sucky monkeys. Some nice buffs to Nasus, who I play a lot. Raiden, how do you build him? I normally go tanky, add in Ninja Tabi (with dodge runes and the +speed dodge mastery thing) and Sheen, and rely on Siphoning Strike + Sheen with some armour reduction from Spirit Fire to dent them.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    "Jarvan will no longer follow the target while he is in the air during Cataclysm"

fuck this game forever

Yeah I didn't quite understand his ult changes

So like, if they flash away while you're in the air, you just land where they were? Or something?

that's what it sounds like

the ult used to track to where if your target flashed while you were mid-jump you'd follow them and land on their new location... which admittedly was probably unintended, but god it was so funny.

and "Cataclysm will now create the ring of terrain regardless of whether the enemy can be targeted or not"

So how could you use Cata if they aren't targetable?

Everyone packing Flash already made Cata not that great, but this sucks

It sounds like they mean like if Vlad goes Sanguine Pool after you start to use Cata on him, you'll still make a ring even though he is no longer target able.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited August 2011
    I -also- want to try MONKEY. And he's free this week, so there're going to be a lot of sucky monkeys.

I don't think this should be too bad. His kit seems pretty simple to use, and it's not like his ult does anything particularly complicated.

EDIT: The worst free weeks are, like, Vlad and Twitch.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    Any info on the new Taric skin, or the Skarner skins? I'm not seeing anything on the LoL website other than 'they're in the patch'.

ew9y0DD.png
    Kay wrote:
    Any info on the new Taric skin, or the Skarner skins? I'm not seeing anything on the LoL website other than 'they're in the patch'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYD9HopZyiA

1:20-ish in that video, laning against Leona.

I don't really dig it so much, myself.

With Love and Courage
    ...ugly.

And I am normally a huge fan of red. All of Taric's skins are the lazy kind!

ew9y0DD.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    So how do you guys get into games in this? I just started playing, my friend plays with me, but we only seem to be able to play against the computer. Any time we try to team up and join a PVP game in the auto match, we just end up sitting and waiting for 10 mins+ for it to match us, and eventually give up as nothing matches and we log out. We dont have any filters in place...what are we doing wrong?

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    Kay wrote:
    ...ugly.

And I am normally a huge fan of red. All of Taric's skins are the lazy kind!

and I, for one, find that truly, truly outrageous.

That said, the multiple lazy skins paves the way for an interesting idea for a legendary Taric skin. He has so many gems covering him, they could cycle through the different colors--hell, give him the full 80's treatment and make him one giant mood ring, where he shines different colors based on KDA and other factors.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Squidget0 wrote:
    Nabob wrote:
    So I decided to get good at Ryze, which are you supposed to level first, w or e?

Level Q, take a solo lane, and farm a lot. Stack mana-tanky items. Core is Tear, Catalyst, RoA, and Frozen Heart. AP doesn't really matter on him.

I like putting a point into E to help farm, then ignore it till I have to take it again

So how do you guys get into games in this? I just started playing, my friend plays with me, but we only seem to be able to play against the computer. Any time we try to team up and join a PVP game in the auto match, we just end up sitting and waiting for 10 mins+ for it to match us, and eventually give up as nothing matches and we log out. We dont have any filters in place...what are we doing wrong?

It's been a while since I duo-queued... could you say exactly the steps you're going through?

Queue time shouldn't be anywhere near ten minutes; I usually bail on the queue and restart if it's longer than 5 (the queue does occassionally 'hiccup' and place you in an indefinite queue. All you have to do is cancel and restart).

...And now that I've composed sufficient music in MusicShake, I've got a couple more Katarina vids. Yes, my talent remains amateurish. If you find amateur play boring or whatever, probably not worth your time to watch (it's also a 4v5 match; enemy Blitzcrank DC'd and everyone in the match had a hiccup at the start, which is why I'm level 1 when everyone else is level 3).

Part 1

Part 2

With Love and Courage
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So I'm downloading this now. I've never played any of these DOTA type games before. So I'll be easy meat. If I understand it correctly, I can eventually unlock everything without having to use microtransactions, right?

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    So I'm downloading this now. I've never played any of these DOTA type games before. So I'll be easy meat. If I understand it correctly, I can eventually unlock everything without having to use microtransactions, right?

you'll never unlock everything, spending money or not, as they keep adding heroes. You can unlock a lot, though.

sig.gif
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    You can unlock champions and runes (small stat bonuses for your champions) through gaining IP which you gain by playing games. You can't unlock new skins (aesthetic overhauls) for champions without paying, however.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    scorpion guy is the first new champ since brand that I feel like playing. hurry up free week.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular

you'll never unlock everything, spending money or not, as they keep adding heroes. You can unlock a lot, though.

Playing a high amount a week (ten hours I think?) will let you stay caught up with all the new champ releases. More than that and you'll be able to catch up eventually, but since the game has been out for a year, that's a lot of catching up to do.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I've been played about 2 weeks now and I'm still far from being able to buy my first champ. I play at least 2-3 games every day, too. Knowing my target is a 6300 champ and that more than half the champs are in the 6300 range, I'm kind of wondering if I'll ever be able to unlock more than two champs in a month.

I don't know, I feel like maybe too many champs are too expensive? it's ridiculous how skewed towards 6300 champ prices are (in IP).

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    back in the day i invented scorpions

obF2Wuw.png
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    I've been played about 2 weeks now and I'm still far from being able to buy my first champ. I play at least 2-3 games every day, too. Knowing my target is a 6300 champ and that more than half the champs are in the 6300 range, I'm kind of wondering if I'll ever be able to unlock more than two champs in a month.

I don't know, I feel like maybe too many champs are too expensive? it's ridiculous how skewed towards 6300 champ prices are (in IP).

yeah i thought this a year ago when i started playing
    and since then 26 characters have come out
    and I think 17 or 18 of them are 6300s
    lol

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular

The best heroes hover around the 3150 range anyway.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    back in the day i invented scorpions

Pfft, that's nothing. I invented Crystals, Purple mage dudes and the concept of invention. Your move.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

lol

There's a big ol' thread about this in the League of Legends forum, it's split between the general "Yeah I wish they'd release some new champs at lower IP prices like 3150 and gasp, even the occasional 1350" crowd and the "It's free so stop whining" crowd

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln

lol

There's a big ol' thread about this in the League of Legends forum, it's split between the general "Yeah I wish they'd release some new champs at lower IP prices like 3150 and gasp, even the occasional 1350" crowd and the "It's free so stop whining" crowd

i've purchased five or six characters with RP and I'm down to only needing twelve more of them
    so, it IS possible

also i'm sure you don't actually want ALL of them, try'em out when they're free to take the ones you hate off of your wishlist

lol

i've purchased five or six characters with RP and I'm down to only needing twelve more of them
    so, it IS possible

also i'm sure you don't actually want ALL of them, try'em out when they're free to take the ones you hate off of your wishlist

The champ list is still hilariously skewed towards 6300 IP prices. I mean, the champs I thought were most interesting from my first free week are Malzahar and Leona. By the time I get both of those, there'll be 3 new champs and probably Magma Chamber.

It's pretty obvious that Riot wants to maximize the money from micro-transactions here and it sort of makes me sad.

well
    they are a business...

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I have spent a good chunk of money on LoL that I don't need to, while other games that actually grant in-game benefits for money I don't spend a dime on, I just drop them altogether.

Kinda weird but pay-to-win pisses me off and LoL isn't that at all so :^:

OrokosPA.png
    edited August 2011
    well
    they are a business...

Yeah, but, you know, I would probably be tempted to buy a couple champions with Riot Points if it cost less per champion.

I was gonna check again how much the 6300 IP champs cost in RP and convert that into money, but the servers are down. EIther way, I think it came to about $7.50 for one of the expensive champs. That's pretty high, IMO. If I have $15 to spend, I'm looking at either 2 expensive champs in LoL or a game on Steam. It's pretty ridiculous how expensive LoL stuff is, no?

Oh, and about half the champs are at the highest price point. So odds are, if I want a champ, it's probably 6300 IP or whatever RP price point is the highest.

21stCentury on
    well
    they are a business...

Yeah, but, you know, I would probably be tempted to buy a couple champions with Riot Points if it cost less per champion.

I was gonna check again how much the 6300 IP champs cost in RP and convert that into money, but the servers are down. EIther way, I think it came to about $7.50 for one of the expensive champs. That's pretty high, IMO. If I have $15 to spend, I'm looking at either 2 expensive champs in LoL or a game on Steam. It's pretty ridiculous how expensive LoL stuff is, no?

i would recommend only buying stuff that's on sale
    they put three champs on sale a week, so that'd make the most expensive types 487 RP
    and you can get 7000 RP for $50 I think
    i'm too lazy to continue doing this math but it's not too bad

well
    they are a business...

they put three champs on sale a week, so that'd make the most expensive types 487 RP

I think you've missed my point, though.

My point is that if they reduced the RP price point, I would probably be more inclined to spend more money on Riot Points. By which I mean, say, reduce it so the highest price point is $5's worth of points. I might be more inclined to pay $15 so that I can get, like, 4 or 5 champs instead of just 2 or 3, because, looking at my options, $15 can be better spent elsewhere.

Then again, I'm assuming they fixed the price point after doing market research... Still... I'd think it might not be a bad idea if they explored reducing RP price points.

well
    they are a business...

I think you've missed my point, though.

My point is that if they reduced the RP price point, I would probably be more inclined to spend more money on Riot Points. By which I mean, say, reduce it so the highest price point is $5's worth of points. I might be more inclined to pay $15 so that I can get, like, 4 or 5 champs instead of just 2 or 3, because, looking at my options, $15 can be better spent elsewhere.

Then again, I'm assuming they fixed the price point after doing market research... Still... I'd think it might not be a bad idea if they explored reducing RP price points.

yeah it'd be nice if they were all always half price but i'm content with the sale system
    especially for a new person there's pretty good odds that you'll want one of the ones on sale every week

• malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    Expensive but not mandatory. The best bang for your real money dollars are the bundles they have for sale, netting you like 20 champs each at a reduced cost over all... but then you're stuck with some champs you dont care for. My advice is to find a 3-4k champ you wanna play and go for that for now, eventually working your way up to the 6k ones. You might get lucky one week and they'll be half off, so just keep playing and have fun. If you think LoL is worth your money you could do as you said at maybe buy like $15-20 of riot points and go straight for the guys you want to play, and then earn your IP with them to get the others.

"Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
    The sale system is good, but it doesn't fix the price point problem. I mean, I'm probably not alone in thinking that $7.50 for a champion in LoL is just way too expensive. That's kind of a hurdle. I'm pretty sure more people would be willing to dish out money for RP if they got a bigger bang for their buck. With the number of Champions and skins always increasing and the fact that there's not actual cost for each product sold, I can't see what they'd lose from adjusting the prices a bit.

What I'm trying to argue is that it'd be good for them because some people might just refuse to spend money on RP right now, but might change their minds if RPs were worth more.

I mean, are about three LoL champions worth the same as a $10 game off Steam? (Not sure if you can get that many champs with just $10 in riot points...)

So which champs were you looking at, 21st?

What sort of playstyle interests you?

There are actually some really neat champs that cost very little, in either RP or IP, so...! We just need to find the ones you'd have fun with.

ew9y0DD.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Skab wrote:
    You know what's awesome? A singed player who does nothing but yell and bitch at his team, the whole game. For KSing him.
    Ah, so you've played with surrealitycheck too.

8D

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I don't really understand getting up in arms about microtransaction prices. You can play the game perfectly well with the free champs, unlocking champs with IP when you want, or pay some money for new champs. A lot of people don't seem to have a problem paying $15 a month to do the same stuff over and over again in WoW, but here a new champ debuts for $7 in their free game and we get annoyed? They're a business, they should be trying to make money.

I like the freemium/microtransaction model because I can pay as much or as little as I want to. If I want more flexibility I'll pay for it (I actually just shelled out $20 for the collector's pack so I could unlock some more champs quicker), but I was enjoying the game quite a bit when I was freeloading. If I seem a bit terse on this subject it's because I got into an argument who refused to play LoL because of microtransactions, because the company was trying to "trick" users into spending lots of money, and because he'd have some compulsion to unlock every single champ despite the fact that he would never have the time to play all of them. It's a new(ish) business model and while many players will probably end up spending more than the traditional $40 price point, a whole lot of players will also pay a lot less. If the overall revenue balances out and the game population is higher as a result, everybody wins (community arguments aside).

Unrelated - Played my first game as Teemo last night, and while I enjoyed it in theory it was also an incredible exercise in frustration. I was in bot with a Cho'goth against a Nocturne and Eve and ended up getting absolutely manhandled in lane. By the time I even got mushrooms the enemy team had like a 2-3 level advantage on me and I spent a whole lot of time going squish. I died about 15 times, super frustrating. Also, I don't understand if Teemo is AP or AD driven, because I've seen guides for both saying the other is terrible. Please advise.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited August 2011
    malkoth wrote:
    Expensive but not mandatory. The best bang for your real money dollars are the bundles they have for sale, netting you like 20 champs each at a reduced cost over all... but then you're stuck with some champs you dont care for. My advice is to find a 3-4k champ you wanna play and go for that for now, eventually working your way up to the 6k ones. You might get lucky one week and they'll be half off, so just keep playing and have fun. If you think LoL is worth your money you could do as you said at maybe buy like $15-20 of riot points and go straight for the guys you want to play, and then earn your IP with them to get the others.

Expensive and not mandatory, perhaps, but it's not really the best defense. I don't get why so many people go "Well, you don't have to pay real money, you can just play for 2 months and buy the guy instead". I'm not saying that they should necessarily slash the IP point costs, but the RP costs are a bit high, especially when comparing to other gaming option you can get for the same price.

Is one character in a free game worth more than an indie game like VVVVVV or Braid? I don't think Malzahar is "more fun" than the game VVVVVV, but he costs more money than VVVVVV.
    Kay wrote:
    So which champs were you looking at, 21st?

What sort of playstyle interests you?

There are actually some really neat champs that cost very little, in either RP or IP, so...! We just need to find the ones you'd have fun with.

This isn't about me. I know you want to help, but I'm not raising the point because I feel entitled to some characters. I have too much money and I'll spend stupid amounts on RP, that's for sure. In the long run, at least. It's really more about me seeing something (and not being alone) and seeing an opportunity for improvement. But apparently, I'm the only here who sees that problem.
    I don't really understand getting up in arms about microtransaction prices. You can play the game perfectly well with the free champs, unlocking champs with IP when you want, or pay some money for new champs. A lot of people don't seem to have a problem paying $15 a month to do the same stuff over and over again in WoW, but here a new champ debuts for $7 in their free game and we get annoyed? They're a business, they should be trying to make money.

I like the freemium/microtransaction model because I can pay as much or as little as I want to. If I want more flexibility I'll pay for it (I actually just shelled out $20 for the collector's pack so I could unlock some more champs quicker), but I was enjoying the game quite a bit when I was freeloading. If I seem a bit terse on this subject it's because I got into an argument who refused to play LoL because of microtransactions, because the company was trying to "trick" users into spending lots of money, and because he'd have some compulsion to unlock every single champ despite not having the time to play all of them. It's a new(ish) business model and while many players will probably end up spending more than the traditional $40 price point, a whole lot of players will also pay a lot less. If the overall revenue balances out and the game population is higher as a result, everybody wins (community arguments aside).

The WoW thing is actually a good point, but the "They're a business, they should be trying to make money" doesn't excuse a high price point. This is a product that has very low cost (Since it's really just server fees) and it's at a price point that, when compared to other products in the same range, compares a bit badly. Again, I'm suggesting lowering the price point a bit, not too much. It's all about leverage. At a $5 price point for the most expensive champs, people might A) Be more inclined to buy champs and B) Might be more inclined to buy RP in $5 chunks which, in the long run, will give Riot more money (because the $5 RP purchase gives no bonus RP).

21stCentury on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I hit 30 and I'm at the point where I'm still a bit torn between buying more runes and buying champs. I own like, 5, all of which were super cheap, but I still need to get dodge yellows, health quints, and mr blues, which I think is like, 15k+ IP.

I also really wanna buy blitz, and maybe nasus.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth