As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Acts of Kindness

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    So here is a particularly nerdy achievement.

I used to play Unreal Tournament competitively with my clan, "The Gummibears". Shortly after UT2K4 had released my team was starting to wind down, we had all been playing since UT99, and frankly we were growing up, no longer as young as we once were, and we each had adult responsibilities. We had come together for one of our last tournaments, our piles of trophies proudly displayed next to our computers, intimidating our opponents. We were tiny Gods among boys.

This particular tournament was an Onslaught game type. Already having decimated the teams in CTF, and Bombing Run, they had hoped to throw us off on Onslaught. What they didn't realize is that the "GB" could not be stopped when we worked together, and Onslaught in-particular was my shit. This is where above all other game types, I was fuckawesome.

So the tournament begins and predictably we steamroll the first few teams. There was really only one team that could even remotely match us, and it was finally time to face them. The first map is Torlan, everyone knew it well but we still rolled over this team. We actually managed to get their core base critical in just under a minute of gametime prompting someone in the crowd to shout "IT'S CRITICAL ALREADY?!??!", which has become a running joke among us anytime anyone does something awesome.

Next map is Dria, a so-so map, we finally actually lose a base for the first time, but like chumps they picked the wrong one and it didn't break the chain, we once more rolled over them. On the final round for Dria, just to be dicks, we all used nothing but ASMD Shock rifles, still battering them to defeat incredibly quickly getting their core to 15% and then stopping. I break away and on Vent you can hear my team mates joking back and forth about what dicks we are in toying with them and we should just end this now. I come on and say "Deemer Inbound".

Not one but 2 separate people watching the match from the crowd jump and yell "OHH NO HE DIDN'T!" as I pilot the deemer warhead directly through the other team, and detonate in their core, finishing the match in the most spectacular fashion possible.

It was a good day to be a GB.

easysig2.jpg
  • agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    There were a couple times in college where faculty or staff members were let go or forced out for unfair reasons. I'll never forget the happy looks on their faces when they had hundreds of students show up to farewell parties to show their support and appreciation. I'm proud that I was able to help organize those parties.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2011
    Goatmon wrote:
    BYToady wrote:
    I busted my ass to help keep my friend's mom out of a nursing home while cancer ravaged her body and eventually claimed her life. She was able to pass away surrounded by family and friends in the house she had lived in for longer than I had lived because of it.

Once the mourning and sadness from her passing had faded, I felt pretty good about my efforts.

Some of the biggest acts of kindness we can give don't really feel kind at the time.

It just feels like the right thing to do, as if there were no other way you were willing to do something.

This is part of my problem when trying to come up with something I've done, small or large, that may have positively impacted the life of another.

My options were:

1) Do the thing
    2) Feel like a shitty human being forever

Not taking option number 2 when option number 1 was within my grasp never feels like it should be a particular point of pride for me. I am the most likely to forget these things immediately because they are meaningless in that I did not have a meaningful option not to do them. I feel like I should be thanking the other person or the animal or whatever for giving me the opportunity to feel useful for a few moments. I feel like it's probably the same for a most people.

On the other hand, when someone does me a kindness, I hold onto that thing forever. I could sit here forever telling stories of things both major and minor which others have done that have lifted me out of weeks-long depressions or even just given me a few moments of joy, because those are so very precious to me, and so much easier to remember.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Awesome, Stale.

Sometimes I am reminded of UT2k3 and feel like playing. That game was pretty damn fun. Skipped 2k4 and 3. Know if they'll be doing any more?

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    Noggin wrote:
    Awesome, Stale.

Sometimes I am reminded of UT2k3 and feel like playing. That game was pretty damn fun. Skipped 2k4 and 3. Know if they'll be doing any more?

no idea.

3 was a lot more DM-focused and the "pro's" appreciated it more.

4 was a lot more focused on graphics and team-work, and thus didn't do as well with the competitive circuit. They felt it was too slow.

easysig2.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    wait, there was a 4?

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Anjin said one of my posts was good

I felt the faint glow of pride

Solar on
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    wait, there was a 4?

2k3

2k4

easysig2.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    wait, there was a 4?

2k3

2k4

oh i thought you meant UT3, UT4

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    ceres wrote:
    Goatmon wrote:
    BYToady wrote:
    I busted my ass to help keep my friend's mom out of a nursing home while cancer ravaged her body and eventually claimed her life. She was able to pass away surrounded by family and friends in the house she had lived in for longer than I had lived because of it.

Once the mourning and sadness from her passing had faded, I felt pretty good about my efforts.

Some of the biggest acts of kindness we can give don't really feel kind at the time.

It just feels like the right thing to do, as if there were no other way you were willing to do something.

This is part of my problem when trying to come up with something I've done, small or large, that may have positively impacted the life of another.

My options were:

1) Do the thing
    2) Feel like a shitty human being forever

Not taking option number 2 when option number 1 was within my grasp never feels like it should be a particular point of pride for me. I am the most likely to forget these things immediately because they are meaningless in that I did not have a meaningful option not to do them. I feel like I should be thanking the other person or the animal or whatever for giving me the opportunity to feel useful for a few moments. I feel like it's probably the same for a most people.

On the other hand, when someone does me a kindness, I hold onto that thing forever. I could sit here forever telling stories of things both major and minor which others have done that have lifted me out of weeks-long depressions or even just given me a few moments of joy, because those are so very precious to me, and so much easier to remember.

I can't help but quote this because this is the truth. I have great memories of when I did things that were particularly clever, but I know I've helped people out just to help, and...I don't remember them well. I just know it's something a decent person should do.

And I agree on the acts of kindness as well. Even when it's from someone who you know will do it anyways, you're always grateful. I've been sick for most of the spring/summer in one way or another (this from a guy who has never been sick for more than 2 days in his life) and it's been stressful. My wife has been there at my side the entire way, and damn if I don't love her all the more for it.

I had influenza BAD for about a week and a half. My wife half stressed herself nursing me through it. I was just getting over it about Feb 12/13th and could barely drive without getting a headache still.

But when my wife came home on February 14th and I had a vase of flowers sitting there waiting for her, the look on her face was worth every bit of that headache.

Syphyre on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    I've never met a Chinese woman who couldn't cook. Bitch Made Sandwiches, The Bitch's Sandwiches Were Great.

One day I said "AYO, BITCH. How are you today?"

She said something that sounded like a speak and spell being thrown into a dryer. I was like "AYO BITCH. Seriously how are you, it's been crazy today all I could think about was your birthday, here's some danish BITCH."

"AYO BITCH, I GOT YOUR DRY CLEANING TOO BITCH."

We sat down, watched some of The Office. I kinda sat through it because I don't like the new season. For some reason the lack of Steve Carrell seems to take away the strange parental figure he seemed to be, as awkward and terrible as his behavior was. She talked for what felt like years about her homeland and killing roundeyes in the bush. At least that's what I thought she was saying considering I don't speak a word of Japanese.

I put a single candle on her danish as we sung the birthday song in unison. The rest of the evening we laid naked, looking at the stars and thinking of ways to fuck that don't involve boo boo.

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    I sat down and thought, "Ya Did Good."

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    UT story

That is pretty great and makes me want to go back and play some UT again. I grew up with that game since it was what my dad played. Some of my fondest memories were going to his work on a day off where he had two computers networked so we could both play UT together.

Onslaught was the best gametype and Torlan was the best map. Also I thought everyone who played competitively used the shock rifle almost exclusively. I know up until the most recent one, shock combos were ridiculously powerful, killing pretty much everything in one good hit.

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Oh Oh! One time i punched a bee out of the air.

That is the biggest accomplishment i can remember.

Fuck you bees!

FlatEric wrote:
    Stale wrote:
    UT story

That is pretty great and makes me want to go back and play some UT again. I grew up with that game since it was what my dad played. Some of my fondest memories were going to his work on a day off where he had two computers networked so we could both play UT together.

Onslaught was the best gametype and Torlan was the best map. Also I thought everyone who played competitively used the shock rifle almost exclusively. I know up until the most recent one, shock combos were ridiculously powerful, killing pretty much everything in one good hit.

In DM and CTF, absolutely.

However in ONS, rockets were favored as they did far more damage to vehicles.

easysig2.jpg
  • FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    Ah yes. I think I just always made sure I had an avril on hand for dealing with 'em.

Few things so satisfying as obliterating a manta rushing you down with an avril at the last second.

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Syphyre wrote:
    And I agree on the acts of kindness as well. Even when it's from someone who you know will do it anyways, you're always grateful.

I have a working theory that if this were the thread topic, it would move very fast. :)

• Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    There's been a couple of times during college when I would be in the lab working on coding something or testing a circuit and I would notice either a flash drive or someone's wallet/credit card/ID on one of the tables.

If it was a flash drive I would either place it on the little dry erase marker holder and write "found USB drive ->" or send an email to the TA to let people know. If it was someone's wallet or something like that I would just take it down to the EE office and let them know "hey, I was in lab #whichever and I found this. Thought I'd give it to you guys to identify and contact."

Usually they were really nice and half the time they knew them. They'd let me know they were sending them an email right away and thanked me for the effort. I really didn't do it to try to get someone to thank me, I just know how shitty it can be to lose something you're working hard on or lose your wallet and driver's license and all that so if I could help someone avoid that then all the better.

This one time I brought someone's whole wallet back to the office where the same lady that's at the reception desk was sitting, along with a somewhat older guy and a younger aid, and let them know about how/where I found it. I originally looked at it to see if it was someone's in the lab at the time but no one said it was their's and I looked inside to find a cash and a credit card with a name I didn't recognize. The receptionist thanked me and I began to walk away when she said "Wait, you know what? Go grab a snack out of the lounge". I refused at first but she insisted so I grabbed something, said thanks and began to walk away when they began to look through the wallet to get the person's name and the older guy goes "Hmpf, we should check if there's any money left in there after he brought it in."

Some fucking people.

Duke Phillips on
    PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ceres wrote:
    Syphyre wrote:
    And I agree on the acts of kindness as well. Even when it's from someone who you know will do it anyways, you're always grateful.

I have a working theory that if this were the thread topic, it would move very fast. :)

Not a bad idea.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Melding wrote:
    Oh Oh! One time i punched a bee out of the air.

That is the biggest accomplishment i can remember.

Fuck you bees!

Man, I wish I could do this. I curl up into a near useless standing hunch when I'm working around flower bushes.
    Fat bees and hornets as long as my finger, buzzing around me while I'm holding a ladder or doing something delicate.

It's all
    BZzZZzZZ! noooo... BzZzZZ! uggh...

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    man I am allergic to bees and I don't really even shy away from them

I did get stung by a paper wasp a few months ago and that was shit

• undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    i flinch at the sound of buzzing insects near my ear

i am a total pansy, yes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    I am am terribly, irrationally scared of bees and other stingered insects, and everything that looks like them.

I am even scared of them when they're dead. It doesn't matter that they look dead, because I know that it's what they WANT me to think, and actually they are waiting for a moment when I'm not looking to come back to life like some sort of zombie abomination to sting my soul away, and I know when that moment comes I will sell everything I love up the river to get away.

But I can't kill anything, and I don't want anyone else to on my behalf, so if one gets in the house I run as fast as I can toward any door, close it behind me, and start filling in cracks with blankets and stuff. Oxygen is less important than that bee staying on the other side of the door.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I try to do something nice for someone every day. I frequently give people directions in the hospital.

Does anyone feel like helping me out with my ps3? I can't get it to rest to hdmi.
    Every once in a while, something happens to my ps3 and it resets back to composite (red yellow white) output. I don't understand what causes it to do this. It has happened in quite a while, so I sort of foggy on setting it to output via HDMI.

I tried going to display settings and setting it to HDMI, but nothing happened. I think I am doing something wrong, or forgetting to do something.

I tried doing the hold the button down until it beeps twice thing, and couldn't get that to work either.

Can someone help me out? I would really appreciate it.

I looked at this:
    http://portfolioofpb.com/blog/ps3-blank-screen-switch-inputs-hdmi-to-composite-to-hdmi

and Iam not sure what I am doing wrong. I unplug the composite cable, plug in the hdmi cable, and hold the power button down until I hear two beeps, and I still get nothing.

I've tried two different hdmi cables and every port of my TV. It seems stuck with composite for some reason.

DouglasDanger on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    After I was assisted by a very helpful person at Blizzard's customer service hotline (had to remove the authenticator from my account after I wiped my phone before installing a custom ROM), I asked for their manager so I could give them a commendation

that's the nicest thing I can think of doing lately

sig.png
  • Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    I try to do something nice for someone every day. I frequently give people directions in the hospital.

Does anyone feel like helping me out with my ps3? I can't get it to rest to hdmi.
    Every once in a while, something happens to my ps3 and it resets back to composite (red yellow white) output. I don't understand what causes it to do this. It has happened in quite a while, so I sort of foggy on setting it to output via HDMI.

I tried going to display settings and setting it to HDMI, but nothing happened. I think I am doing something wrong, or forgetting to do something.

I tried doing the hold the button down until it beeps twice thing, and couldn't get that to work either.

Can someone help me out? I would really appreciate it.

I looked at this:
    http://portfolioofpb.com/blog/ps3-blank-screen-switch-inputs-hdmi-to-composite-to-hdmi

and Iam not sure what I am doing wrong. I unplug the composite cable, plug in the hdmi cable, and hold the power button down until I hear two beeps, and I still get nothing.

I've tried two different hdmi cables and every port of my TV. It seems stuck with composite for some reason.

I've gone through this before, too. I'm not sure what it could be as long as you have the HDMI plugged into the TV and PS3 when you're holding the power button. Is it just coming up blank on your TV? As in there's no flicker or any sign of life when you're going through the reset phase?

PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
    I just realized how many of the most recent acts of kindness I've received have been of a deeply personal nature. I would say that everyone who has sat and really listened to me for nearly the past 10 months or so has been more of a comfort than they can probably know. My professors have been very understanding, and everyone (who is still) in my life has been incredibly patient with me.

A couple years ago, I was having a very bad day involving school and a lot of money and general frustration with the world. I went to WaWa (a convenience store, for those not local), probably for a hot dog and some chips or something, and to do what I often do when I am just that kind of stressed, which is look with futility for a certain, nostalgic brand of cigarettes (that's a different story). After the third time someone cut right in front of me at the register, I finally got to pay. I looked at their cigarette variety and said, "I guess you guys probably don't carry Lucky Strikes, huh." I expected the blank look I always get in this state.

The guy had these blond dreads. He gave me this wide-eyed look and said "Lucky Strikes? The little packs of cigarettes?"

I said yeah. "It's okay, nobody has them."

"We have some!"

"You do!?"

He ran to grab a pack. "That's so awesome, nobody ever wants these."

I shook my head in disbelief. "People just don't know what they're smoking. I can't believe you have them, nobody has them. I think this just made my day."

"It made my day that somebody asked for them, and we have some to sell!"

[Now, I don't really smoke. I might have a cigarette at a party, or when it feels like it's all just getting to me (which happens to this extent maybe once every few years), but most of them taste just awful, and Luckies are really the only brand I like and next to impossible to find around here. So I don't usually bother at all. Which means...]

"Oh... I guess I should buy a lighter. Hang on a sec." I start fishing around in my pocket for the quarters I know are in there somewhere, since I've just finished paying.

He says, "Wait, take mine. This rocks." He digs his lighter out of his pocket and hands it to me. I give him this big grin, thank him profusely, and take the lighter.

This is the sort of thing I get all dopey and sentimental about. I still have the lighter from the awesome guy at WaWa who was as happy to sell me Lucky Strikes as I was to buy them.

• Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Gatsby wrote:
    See I want to make an excellent cappuccino one day. Make the shot perfectly, time it, then have it finish within the optimal 20-25 seconds range. During that I'd froth the milk as best as I possibly can, getting the right amount of air in while maintaining that silky smooth and shiny texture. I'd make sure it would also be at the perfect 60 degrees Celsius. After pouring the milk in properly and dusting the top with but a few pinches of chocolate powder, and even draw a smiley face on the lid.

I'd then walk around the block to the nearest Starbucks and throw it on the dickhead who works there and always serves hot bullcrap with the most smug smile I have ever laid eyes upon.

See, its people like those smug bastards that everyone had to get retrained in the art of espresso, and learn how the milk should not be deafening when you steam it.

Oh startbucks.

I got roped into a closing shift. There's just the staff, a few lurkers, a few high school freshmen, and one transient. Now, the freshmen were these two lovely fresh faced girls that you hoped time and puberty would be gentle to. The transient had a mental lapse that was causing him to talk their ears on in a less than friendly way. Action was need, so I took actions.
    Hey dude, your bus is here.
    transient wrote:
    Oh, shit! Thanks, man.
    There was no bus.

I've worked from Panera Bread to Starbucks to now my ~illustrious~ barista position in a local coffee chain, and honestly despite having like 5 years of experience it's not that hard. People that can't steam milk properly/pull a proper shot just don't care to learn how. Sometimes my managers will come behind the machine to make themselves a drink, and one of them CONSISTANTLY steams the milk wrong. It's no skin off my nose because it's not for a customer, but he'll never learn because he really don't want to.

I really dislike my job but it makes my life better to get compliments on my drinks. At least something I'm doing is minutely causing happiness in another person, sometimes.

Though I will be honest I'm not a really technical barista. I always forget all the little coffee facts and hope nobody asks me about any of them so I don't look stupid.

I do get annoyed when people shit talk Starbucks employees, they're trained in a certain way and they can only know how to do things by the training they receive. Most of them are not going to care enough to look outside work for tips/tricks/whatever, it's their crummy food service job. It's like asking McDonald's employees to go to fancy restaurants so they can make better burgers. They thrive on being consistent and if that means being consistently mediocre that's their business. Every town has a little mom and pop coffee shop now, you have options, you don't have to go to Starbucks and make mean faces at the baristas because you don't think they're good enough.

Sara Lynn on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Sara Lynn wrote:
    Gatsby wrote:
    See I want to make an excellent cappuccino one day. Make the shot perfectly, time it, then have it finish within the optimal 20-25 seconds range. During that I'd froth the milk as best as I possibly can, getting the right amount of air in while maintaining that silky smooth and shiny texture. I'd make sure it would also be at the perfect 60 degrees Celsius. After pouring the milk in properly and dusting the top with but a few pinches of chocolate powder, and even draw a smiley face on the lid.

I'd then walk around the block to the nearest Starbucks and throw it on the dickhead who works there and always serves hot bullcrap with the most smug smile I have ever laid eyes upon.

See, its people like those smug bastards that everyone had to get retrained in the art of espresso, and learn how the milk should not be deafening when you steam it.

Oh startbucks.

I got roped into a closing shift. There's just the staff, a few lurkers, a few high school freshmen, and one transient. Now, the freshmen were these two lovely fresh faced girls that you hoped time and puberty would be gentle to. The transient had a mental lapse that was causing him to talk their ears on in a less than friendly way. Action was need, so I took actions.
    Hey dude, your bus is here.
    transient wrote:
    Oh, shit! Thanks, man.
    There was no bus.

I've worked from Panera Bread to Starbucks to now my ~illustrious~ barista position in a local coffee chain, and honestly despite having like 5 years of experience it's not that hard. People that can't steam milk properly/pull a proper shot just don't care to learn how. Sometimes my managers will come behind the machine to make themselves a drink, and one of them CONSISTANTLY steams the milk wrong. It's no skin off my nose because it's not for a customer, but he'll never learn because he really don't want to.

I really dislike my job but it makes my life better to get compliments on my drinks. At least something I'm doing is minutely causing happiness in another person, sometimes.

Though I will be honest I'm not a really technical barista. I always forget all the little coffee facts and hope nobody asks me about any of them so I don't look stupid.

I do get annoyed when people shit talk Starbucks employees, they're trained in a certain way and they can only know how to do things by the training they receive. Most of them are not going to care enough to look outside work for tips/tricks/whatever, it's their crummy food service job. It's like asking McDonald's employees to go to fancy restaurants so they can make better burgers. They thrive on being consistent and if that means being consistently mediocre that's their business. Every town has a little mom and pop coffee shop now, you have options, you don't have to go to Starbucks and make mean faces at the baristas because you don't think they're good enough.

Thank you. I mean, even if we wanted to spice things up, there are only so many bosses (like mine) and customers (like mine but very few) that would tolerate something different or better. Not to mention the fact that we are often stuck with machinery that doesn't work right or is always going off its rocker by a few degrees. God bless 'em, there were some coworkers that took that job to new heights and were always experimenting with something to make a better drink (till they axed our delicious teas ;( ).

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I actually really don't mind Starbucks as a whole, for the reasons you've stated, it's just this one smug bastard I've seen at the one I work nearby from and the way he treats this amazing machine they have is just a little sad.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I gave my seat on the last plane out of work before the weekend the other day so a guy could get home and be with his wife who was in a car crash? It kind of felt like a no-brainer though

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I wouldn't exactly call this an act of kindness, but my best friend used to drink at least three cans of coke everyday since he was a little kid and for some reason would not even try and give it up when he was trying to lose weight. He'd seen me lose a lot of my chubbiness after hiring a personal trainer, yet because he kept up this habit he still was fairly chunky. He told me one day "I don't understand why I'm not losing as much as you (me)." And then I firmly, maybe a bit too harshly, gave him a verbal kick up the arse and told him he'd have to actually put in the effort and change his diet if he wanted to see changes in himself.

Since then he's completely off coke, only drinks soda water, and has lost a crap load of weight. He thanks me every now and then but I just shrug, sometimes friends need a talking to when they're that oblivious.

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    The only kind things i've done is probably buy people stuff.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    If buying people stuff counts, then even I have a brief tale!

When I was visiting some friends down in England I bought one of those nicorette inhalator things to help one of them stop smoking, partially because I wanted her to stop smoking, and partially because I had (helpfully) bought her cigarettes earlier in the week and then realised how stupid that was, and decided to redress the balance.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    There are only two things I can really think of. One time, a woman's stroller/pram/buggy started rolling down a hill just outside the video store I was browsing, baby included. Luckily I had fast enough reaction speeds to start running down the slope after it and managed to stop baby before they got away. The other one I'm sworn to secrecy about, so that doesn't help.

I should do more kind things!

• The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    This may sound really odd, but I love nothing more in this world than to do random acts of kindness. I live for it. Any little bit of happiness that I can give to another is what makes life worth living for me. It doesn't matter if the subject is my wife, a close friend, a forumer, or a complete stranger; if I can do something unexpected that makes them smile, then I'm on cloud nine the rest of the day.

I wish I could say that it's altruistic, but in truth, I have a selfish desire to brighten the days of others.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    a million dollars would really make me happy right now

broken image link
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    a million dollars would really make me happy right now

Would you buy a green dress? because that would be cruel

Brainleech on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    I do not have a million dollars. :(

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I like secret acts of kindness, where the beneficiary doesn't know it was me

which sounds

kind of creepy put like that.