As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Console Tournaments: Rules and Info

Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
edited September 2006 in PAX Archive
Registration for ALL console tournaments will start on the first day of PAX 2K6 (Friday, August 25th). Registration for an individual tournament will close one hour before the event is scheduled to begin.

Each tournament has two lists: Main and Standby. Once the Main list has been filled up, you can only sign up on Standby. This means you can only enter the tournament if someone from the Main list fails to show up. Entrees from Standby are on a first-come, first-served basis.

If you do not have a complete team for a team tourney, you must enter on Standby. If you subsequently find a team before the tournament starts AND there is room on the Main list, you will be moved into a guaranteed spot. Otherwise, you will be paired up with whoever else we choose from the Standby list.

The current schedule is as follows:

Friday, August 25th
Super Smash Bros. Melee (4:00pm-9:00pm)

Saturday, August 26th
Halo 2 (10:30am-2:30pm)
Ghost Recon: Advanced War Fighter (3:00pm-7:00pm)
Mario Kart: Double Dash (8:00pm-12:30am)

Sunday, August 27th
Guitar Hero (10:00am-1:00pm)
Soul Calibur III (1:30pm-4:30pm)

Thread currently under construction. Note that all information in this thread is subject to change between now and August 24th, but I will do my best to finalize all rule sets as soon as possible.

Born to Duck
Zig21 on

• Options
    edited April 2006
    Super Smash Brothers Melee
    When: Friday, 4:00pm-9:00pm
    Format: 2 vs 2, single elimination
    Player Cap: 256 teams (512 players)*

* SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Rules
    Team Battle (2v2)
    Stocks: 4
    Time Limit: 6 minutes
    Damage Ratio: 1.0
    Stage Selection: Random
    Friendly Fire: On
    Pause: Off
    Self Destructs: -1
    Item Drop Rate: Low

Winning team may not change characters. Losing team may switch characters if they wish to do so.

Stalling tactics and the Ice Climbers' freeze and infinite throw glitches are banned.

Available Items:
    Ray Gun, Super Scope, Fire Flower, Lip's Stick, Star Rod, Beam Sword, Home-Run Bat, Fan, Motion-Sensor Bomb, Parasol, Screw Attack

If both teams wish to play without items, they may do so. If one side disagrees, then items must be turned on.

Available Stages:
    Peach's Castle, Kongo Jungle, Jungle Japes, Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's Island, Fountain of Dreams, Green Greens, Corneria, Venom, Onett, Mute City, Pokemon Stadium, Fourside, Mushroom Kingdom 2, Kongo Jungle (Past), Yoshi's Island (Past), Dream Land (Past), Final Destination, Battlefield,

Format: Qualifiers
    Teams will be divided into 32 pools, each containing up to 8 teams (16 players per-pool)
    Each pool will be organized into an 8 team single elimination bracket
    Each match will be best of 1 game
    The winner of each pool advances to the semi-finals

Format: Semi-Finals and Finals
    The winning teams from each pool will be re-seeded and placed into a new 32 team single elimination bracket
    If time allows, each match will be best of 3 games (stock and/or time limit subject to change)
    If we are short on time, each match will be best of 1 game (same settings as Qualifier round)
    Bracket semi-finals and grand finals will be best of 3 games

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Halo 2
    When: Saturday, 10:30am-2:30pm
    Format: 4 vs 4, single elimination
    Player Cap: 64 teams (256 players)

Rules
    Team Slayer, 4 vs 4
    First to 50 kills
    15 minute time limit
    5 second respawn time
    10 second suicide penalty
    Battle Rifle for starting weapon, no secondary weapon, rest is map default
    Players start with 2 grenades
    No radar

If you quit the game for ANY reason short of a serious emergency, the current game will proceed without you. If your team wins, you will be allowed to play in the next match. Should your entire team quit without permission, it will count as a forfeit and you will be eliminated from the tournament. This rule also applies if you reset the game or console.

Maps
    Current Maps: Lockout, Beaver Creek, Warlock, Midship, Ascension, Sanctuary, Turf, Ivory Tower, Elongation

Maps will change each round.

Glitches
    No grenade jumping
    No reloard glitch
    No sword lock-on/flying glitch
    No leaving the standard boundaries of the level
    All other glitches are allowed; however this list is subject to change between now and the day of the tournament

Note: If any or all of these bugs have been fixed, please let me know via PM, or post up once this thread is opened for feedback.

Teams will be divided into 32 pools, each containing up to 8 teams
    The winner of each pool will advance to the semi-finals

Format: Semi-finals and Finals
    The winning teams from each pool will be re-seeded and placed into a new 32 team single elimination bracket

Each round in the bracket will be on a different map. For the grand finals, both teams may agree to use a specific map if they wish to do so.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
    When: Saturday, 3pm-7pm
    Format: 4 vs 4, single elimination
    Player Cap: TBA

Rules
    Mode: Team Elimination
    Type: Sharpshooter
    Respawns: Infinite
    Victory: 50 points
    Time Limit: 10 minutes
    Weapons Kit: Grenadier = Restricted, Gun Camera = Restricted, ZEUS MPAR = Restricted
    Team Start Location: Random
    Blue Team Camo: Wood
    Red Team Camo: Wood
    Auto Launch Timer: Off
    Game Start Timer: 10 seconds
    Respawn Wait Time: Off
    Respawn Invulnerability: Off
    Force Camera: Off
    Kill Camera: Off
    Drones: None
    ID Friendly/Foe: Friendlies only
    Enemies On Intel Map: No
    Night Vision: Off

Maps
    Current Maps: Desert Gulch, Nowhere, Boneyard

Maps will change each round.

Teams will be divided into 32 pools, each containing up to 8 teams
    The winner of each pool will advance to the semi-finals

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Mario Kart: Double Dash
    When: Saturday, 8:00pm-12:30am
    Format: 16 player races, single elimination
    Player Cap: 128 teams (256 players)

Rules
    Each race includes 8 teams with 2 players each
    Random character and Kart selection
    Standard Karts only
    150cc

Format
    Players will be divided into 32 pools, each containing up to 4 teams (8 players per-pool)
    Each pool will play one 4-race cup, with the top 2 teams advancing to the next round
    Once the final 8 teams are decided, they will participate in an 8-race cup, with point totals deciding the top 8 finishers

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Guitar Hero
    When: Sunday, 10:00am-1:00pm
    Format: 1 vs 1, single elimination

Rules
    Multiplayer Mode
    You may bring your own controller if you wish to do so

Difficulty:
    -Medium for pool play
    -Hard for the final 32-man bracket
    -Expert for the semi-finals and grand finals

During pool and bracket play, both players may choose a harder difficulty setting if they wish to do so.

Disputes over who plays which half will be settled with a coin flip.

During the semi-finals and/or grand finals, the loser of game 1 may choose to switch sides if they wish to do so. This applies to the loser of game 2 as well if a game 3 is necessary.

NOTICE: We will be rebooting systems throughout the tournament on a regular basis, in order to eliminate the Multiplayer scoring glitch.

Song Selection
    For each match, we will provide a list of three randomly selected songs. Each player will have the option of eliminating one song from the list, and must pick whichever song is left. For any best-of-3 match, this list is extended to 5 songs (players still get only one pick per-match).

Format
    Players will be divided into 32 pools, each containing up to 8 players
    Each match will be best of 1 song
    Semi-finals and/or finals will be best of 3 songs

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Soul Calibur III
    When: Sunday, 1:30pm-4:30pm
    Format: 1 vs 1, single elimination
    Player Cap: 256 players

Rules
    Standard VS mode
    Health: 100%
    Rounds: best 3 of 5
    Time Limit: 50 seconds
    Neutral Guard: On
    Weapon Select: On
    Random stage select ONLY
    Auto Save: OFF

Bonus characters and Create-a-Soul characters are allowed
    You may bring your own controller if you wish to do so

Players are responsible for bringing their own memory cards for CAS characters. Simply insert your card into whichever side you are using at the character select screen. DO NOT load your card's file from the options menu. Be sure to remove your card when your match is over.

During a match, the winner cannot change characters before the next game. The loser may change characters and/or sides if they wish. This only applies on a per-match basis; in other words, either player may choose any character at the start of their next match.

If you pause the game for ANY reason short of a serious emergency, you automatically lose the round, no questions asked. This means you can sacrifice a round to set your controls if you failed to do so before the game begins. This rule also applies if you reset the game or console during gameplay.

Players will be divided into 32 pools, each containing up to 8 players
    Each pool will be organized into an 8 player single elimination bracket
    Each match will be best of 3 games
    The winner of each pool advances to the semi-finals

The winning players from each pool will be re-seeded and placed into a new 32 player single elimination bracket
    Each match will be best of 3 games
    Bracket semi-finals and grand finals will be best of 5 games

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Thread opened for questions and comments. Also, some items of note:

1) Thanks to a random scheduling error (don't ask), SC3 is back.

2) Mario Kart has been moved to Saturday.

3) No questions regarding when Guitar Hero or Ghost Recon rules will be finished. They'll be done when they're done.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Smash rules are now more or less done. Only major changes between now and PAX will be to the player cap, items, and stages.

Expect initial rules for GRAW and SC3 either today or tomorrow.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    SC3 rules are done.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    IrtehmongooseIrtehmongoose Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Is there any chance of turning team attack to on in the Smash tournament?

As it is now one character with good projectiles would be pretty much required for any team, I mean how can you fight when there is a Falco running and constantly spamming his laser, or Samus sending out barrage after barrage of missiles?

Irtehmongoose on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited August 2006

As it is now one character with good projectiles would be pretty much required for any team, I mean how can you fight when there is a Falco running and constantly spamming his laser, or Samus sending out barrage after barrage of missiles?

The number of reflective measures that can be taken are pretty large. I can think of at least six and a half characters immediately who wouldn't need to worry about it.

It's just going to be a fun casual tournament, not all serious like Skypal and the Smash Boarders normally put on. I mean, even the Pokeballs will be active.

Nice job on the rules, Zig.

Of course, now I need to pick up SC3 again, since I'd abandoned Voldo, Ivy and the gang to practice for the tourney games.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Taramoor wrote:

The number of reflective measures that can be taken are pretty large. I can think of at least six and a half characters immediately who wouldn't need to worry about it.

It's just going to be a fun casual tournament, not all serious like Skypal and the Smash Boarders normally put on. I mean, even the Pokeballs will be active.

Nice job on the rules, Zig.

Of course, now I need to pick up SC3 again, since I'd abandoned Voldo, Ivy and the gang to practice for the tourney games.

Good point, wasn't really considering it in that frame.

This style of rules should make for much more entertaining matches come to think of it.

Either way I'm glad I'm teamed with a Falco. :P

Irtehmongoose on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2006
    Would someone mind telling me what level of appearance (Very High - Very Low, etc) will the items be on?

Thanks!

- Captain R.D. Obvious

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2006
    Would someone mind telling me what level of appearance (Very High - Very Low, etc) will the items be on?

Thanks!

- Captain R.D. Obvious

I would also like to know this information. I am about to start intense Smash Bros. Melee training today and this would be most useful. I was disappointed to not see Hyrule Temple among the approved stages, but it does make for some extremely long matches.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2006
    Updated rules for Smash.

The drop rate for items will be Low.

Team Attack will be enabled. Trust me, it solves a lot more issues than it creates. While having it on does enable some unique stalling tactics, I'm banning those anyway.

I also took Great Bay off the list. Too easy to turtle on that stage, and that's the last thing I need. RUSH THAT SHIT DOWN!!!

The Ice Climbers' freeze and infinite throw glitches are also banned.

And just a reminder: if you have a complaint regarding the Smash rules, odds are I don't care. Nothing personal, just the way it is. You'll forget about it anyway once the tournament starts and you realize how much fun this is regardless of whether or not you can hit somebody with a bomb on Poke Floats.

My apologies for not posting rules for GRAW or Guitar Hero. Still working on that.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Could you please at least tell me that the day and time for the GRAW tournament is locked in and how many people a team will need? I need to change my airline flight.....

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    The posted time and date for GRAW is final. The format will be 4 vs 4.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Zig21 wrote:
    Team Attack will be enabled. Trust me, it solves a lot more issues than it creates. While having it on does enable some unique stalling tactics, I'm banning those anyway.

Can you explain a few problems it solves? All I can see it doing is making teams pointless. It essentially makes the game a free for all with a frustrating twist.

EDIT: I'm not asking for a change in the rules, just an explanation more than "Trust me" :\

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    This may be a stupid question but.....

What are the prizes for the tournaments? Are they not announcing that until the day of? I'm just hoping it's not like a free controller or something....

Unknown User on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006

What are the prizes for the tournaments? Are they not announcing that until the day of? I'm just hoping it's not like a free controller or something....

The first year, there was a big prize table and placing first, second or third netted you points for it(I believe...and it was a decent amount). And there were games, toys, strategy guides and other things on it.

I forget what they did last year though...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Legacy wrote:

The first year, there was a big prize table and placing first, second or third netted you points for it(I believe...and it was a decent amount). And there were games, toys, strategy guides and other things on it.

I forget what they did last year though...

Same thing.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    All that training I've done over the last few months to the SSBM turni amounts for a load of bullshit sence its a dubbles turni. That's fucking horse shit. but I suppose if you have a good partner your chances of going farther in the turniment are much beter, unless your teammate suck big hairy man balls. In the end I have no say so oh well.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2006
    QuickSnap wrote:
    All that training I've done over the last few months to the SSBM turni amounts for a load of bullshit sence its a dubbles turni. That's fucking horse shit. but I suppose if you have a good partner your chances of going farther in the turniment are much beter, unless your teammate suck big hairy man balls. In the end I have no say so oh well.

Do what i do and either practice with people who suck against people who are good or against level 9 computer opponants (and i suppose if necessary a level 4 computer ally)

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    QuickSnap wrote:

It's also a PAX tournament... meaning usually no rewards, and pretty much always just done for fun.

I recommend looking for a different tournament if all you're looking for is to win.

It's much more fun if you calm down and have fun.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I'm not looking to win, i'm looking for more of a chalange than just the two guys I beat repeadily every week.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    QuickSnap wrote:
    I'm not looking to win, i'm looking for more of a chalange than just the two guys I beat repeadily every week.

Don't worry, you'll be sure to find challenges, as long as you look for the right people *cough*me*cough*. XD [/Arrogance]

But for real, maybe we can get in a 1v1 during the free-time or somethin', eh eh?

Speakin' of free-time stuff, I don't really know how it works T_T. Can somebody give me like just some general info on how things will work like an hour before the tourney, and like during the tourney? Ya know, is there like just free-play TVs that you could play Melee on during/before/a while after the tourney?

Thanks.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I never said I wasn't going to have a good time. I've been looking foward to this for a year. I'm going to kick ass, Or be driven out in shame. Dosn't matter I'm gonna have fun.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Can you explain a few problems it solves? All I can see it doing is making teams pointless. It essentially makes the game a free for all with a frustrating twist.

Without Team Attack, any 2 vs 1 scenario becomes horribly one-sided 'cause you're basically dead once someone throws you. There are other problems, but I'll name those later 'cause it's late and I'm dead tired.

Horseshit my ass. I've been saying the Smash tourney would be 2v2 since right after the conclusion of PAX05. Plus, the initial rules and format for Smash were posted back in April. Quit whining just 'cause you didn't pay attention.

On a general note, there is NO FREE-PLAY IN THE CONSOLE TOURNEY AREA!!! Pre-tourney practice, however, will (hopefully) be available.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Oh crapzors. I super hope there will be a decent amount of warm-up time for the tourney O_o.

Anyways, lol @ guy who wants no team attack on...yeah. Like other smart guy said, it solves A LOT more problems than it creates. Having it on would just be rediculous. That's all that needs to be said.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Time for a major change to Smash that some of you may not like: Pokeballs are out.

Here's the deal. With Team Attack on, any Pokeball will become a potential liability because summoned Pokemon won't distinguish between your partner and the enemy team. In other words, there's a good chance you'll screw yourself and can't do jack to stop it.

Items in general pose a big potential problem with this rule set because they add a major randomness factor, regardless of how often they drop. However, I don't want to simply turn them off because the majority of participants will be used to having them on. That being said, there will still be a sizable number of good players in the tourney, and it's not like we're just playing for fun either. The prizes have gotten pretty damn good these past two years, so the stakes are higher than most of you might think.

With that in mind, I've decided on the following rule: if both teams wish to play without items altogether, they may do so.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    Sorry to pester, but any estimate about GH rules? D: Less than two weeks left to practice...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Zig21 wrote:
    Time for a major change to Smash that some of you may not like: Pokeballs are out.

Here's the deal. With Team Attack on, any Pokeball will become a potential liability because summoned Pokemon won't distinguish between your partner and the enemy team. In other words, there's a good chance you'll screw yourself and can't do jack to stop it.

Items in general pose a big potential problem with this rule set because they add a major randomness factor, regardless of how often they drop. However, I don't want to simply turn them off because the majority of participants will be used to having them on. That being said, there will still be a sizable number of good players in the tourney, and it's not like we're just playing for fun either. The prizes have gotten pretty damn good these past two years, so the stakes are higher than most of you might think.

With that in mind, I've decided on the following rule: if both teams wish to play without items altogether, they may do so.

Dang.

Oh well, as long as Fourside is still in and we aren't forced to play Final Destination (I assume it will be random select between the indicated stage?) then I'm still going to show up and try to kick ass.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Sorry to pester, but any estimate about GH rules? D: Less than two weeks left to practice...

Ask again and I'll shoot you.

But seriously, hopefully I'll take care of GH either today or tomorrow.
    Oh well, as long as Fourside is still in and we aren't forced to play Final Destination (I assume it will be random select between the indicated stage?) then I'm still going to show up and try to kick ass.

That reminds me, Fourside might be ditched as well. It's pretty big, but still not Hyrule Temple-big. Regardless, shouldn't be that big a deal whether it's in or out.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    So Ka-Master, are you the same Ka-Master that could violate me with Luigi? Because if so crap, there goes any real hope for first.

Also I just noticed the first PA panel is in the middle of the smash tournament, guess I probably won't be there to see the announcement :cry:

Irtehmongoose on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Zig21 wrote:

Super awesome. I guess I'm in the minority of smashers who don't want items T_T. Though this is very pleasing. Much thanks.

Also I agree with Four-side being ditched...<_<

So Ka-Master, are you the same Ka-Master that could violate me with Luigi? Because if so crap, there goes any real hope for first.

Lol, yup, I'm probably him. Though if a certain rumor is true in the smash world, you can be sure me and my crew-mate-guy won't be the only team that you'll have to look out for. T_T

Lol, and I'm kind of curious as to where you found this info out?

Anyways, tourney sounds freaking awesome. Much fun.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Zig21 wrote:

Ask again and I'll shoot you.

But seriously, hopefully I'll take care of GH either today or tomorrow.

That reminds me, Fourside might be ditched as well. It's pretty big, but still not Hyrule Temple-big. Regardless, shouldn't be that big a deal whether it's in or out.

Fourside is just very friendly to Samus and the Ice Climbers, my two mains, so even though stage selection is random as long as it's in there I have additional hope.

I always thought the problem with Temple was that you could just move the battle to that center portion and prolong the game indefinitely. I'm not sure there's anywhere to really hide on Fourside.

God I hate FD. (Just venting that now before it becomes an issue)

I like the items that are on because they can swing like game slightly but not to an insane degree (like hearts and pokeballs). The better players will win, I'm sure, but I still like items to be at least there though not overwhelmingly so.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Initial rules for Guitar Hero are now up. As for Fourside, I think I'll leave it in.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Lol, pooi. Oh well, I don't mind the stage too much. Gotta love infinite wall-jump XD. Anyways, cool cool. Fine with me.

...not that my opinion matters much. :cry:

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Zig21 wrote:
    Initial rules for Guitar Hero are now up. As for Fourside, I think I'll leave it in.

Hmm.

I don't mean to criticize the ruling on the GH thing, but I'm not so sure doing multiplayer mode is the best option.

The way the songs work in multiplayer, sometimes people are stuck completely with the solo, which would mean an automatic loss with good players vs good players, since the solos on quite a few Expert songs are literally impossible to do... and I don't mean impossible like, hard, but are regarded as literally "impossible" to do.

I just figured you guys would have each person play an entire song in quick play, and then have the winner be the person with the highest score.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I'm still debating whether to use multiplayer or same song back-to-back. Ironically, a friend of mine advised against MP mode because he claims the heads-up format is too easy, even on Expert.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
This discussion has been closed.