As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Frosted Bacon (my webcomic)

CJ NackelCJ Nackel Registered User new member
edited August 2011 in Artist's Corner
WARNING: My webcomic is very offensive to a lot of people. If you are easily offended and don't find very dark comedy funny, I suggest you don't even bother. Without further ado, my webcomic, featuring stick figures, non sequiturs, and dark comedy:

----> Frosted Bacon <----

A little Frosted Bacon history:

I have been drawing these little comics for years and posting them to Facebook. My friends peer pressured me into making a webpage for all my comics, so I whipped up frostedbacon.com. I have 59 comics posted so far and hundreds more pages of ramblings and terrible drawings to sift through. I plan to redraw 3 or 4 comics per week, so hopefully I can start posting some of my newer stuff before the end of the year.

Enjoy,
-CJ Nackel

Some of the least offensive samples (so as not to offend):
38.png

30.png

36.png

11.png

51.png

12.png

Creator of the Frosted Bacon webcomic.
(Warning: Comic is very offensive - Read at your own risk.)
CJ Nackel on

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    First off, post your comics in image tags here. We're not here for you to divert traffic to your site.

Secondly, are you sure you want to ride XKCD's "really not trying to draw at all" coat tails? Also, my vote on the comic itself: I found none of the ones I read (about 10 of them) funny. They're facile, flat, and trying way too damn hard.

Tam on
  • Options
    Tam wrote:
    First off, post your comics in image tags here. We're not here for you to divert traffic to your site.

I threw up a few of my less offensive and swear free samples.
    Tam wrote:
    Secondly, are you sure you want to ride XKCD's "really not trying to draw at all" coat tails? Also, my vote on the comic itself: I found none of the ones I read (about 10 of them) funny. They're facile, flat, and trying way too damn hard.

I'd have to have artistic skill to do anything but ride the "not trying to draw" train. I think the monster one I posted up above is just about the best drawing I've ever done in my life.

• Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    What exactly is it that you want critiqued?

Since this is a forum for critique. Are you looking to improve your art? The jokes? Just wondering what people think?

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Well, of the three you threw up, unfortunately, none of them are funny in the slightest. Not in the 'I'm offended' way - I don't mind well done crude humor - but just not funny.

Then, all of them have the same comedic timing. All three of them use the extended pause for no useful effect. Plus, when you time EVERY joke the same way, it helps them lose any humor they might have had.

• Options
    What exactly is it that you want critiqued?

Since this is a forum for critique. Are you looking to improve your art? The jokes? Just wondering what people think?

Mainly just get an idea of which ones people like and which ones people hate so I can tailor new comics around any criticism I receive. As I said, all of the stuff I've posted is really old. In a couple months I hope to have posted all of those old comics so I can start drawing new ones. A general idea of what the public thinks instead of my clearly biased friends would be helpful.

• Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    CJ Nackel wrote:
    I'd have to have artistic skill to do anything but ride the "not trying to draw" train. I think the monster one I posted up above is just about the best drawing I've ever done in my life.

If you can't draw, you need your writing to save you. From these, your survival isn't looking good.

I know that's blunt, but these aren't really funny imo ]:

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Nobody gives a crap about swearing or offensive humour here. These are the PA forums, after all. But more specifically, this is the PA art forum, and we are here to critique art. If you're not interested in improving your drawing and visual comic-making ability, then you're probably not going to get a hell of a lot out of this thread.

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Writing wise, the first one wasn't too bad.

The rest were fairly low level humour. What you're writing is too easy and too obvious, most people could write these. You need to try harder and not go with the easiest thing that comes to mind, a joke needs to be nurtured and crafted, attempted 20 different ways before you hit on what is funny and sometimes an idea is fucking garbage and needs to be tossed altogether.

• Options
    webofinkwebofink Registered User regular
    First one I like. I'm not sure if having different levels of artistic execution for the two characters works in your favour or not. I think it could benefit from having some perspective, either a simple horizon line, or something more established as a background.

The flowchart one is a little predictable, but not too bad. I like the idiot loop, it's a nice touch.

The rest are a little nonsensical, but not in a good monty python-esque way. One or two panels of really well drawn art per strip could push them into a new level of surrealism or zaniness, a'la Ren and Stimpy style, which might work with your writing style. The way it stands now, like other have said, if you aren't going to have art, you're going to need comedy, so work on your writing.

If you have any really funny friends, maybe record some funny conversations with them to mine for ideas, and work out how to visually represent them.

Don't feel the need to stretch everything out to six panels. Mostly everything here can be said in 3 or less.

Like Mustang said, recognise when an idea is unworkable and just throw it away.

It's dead, Jim.
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    You seem to have some artistic capability by looking at the drawing in the first panel, so you have no excuse to draw everything well.

Learn dat anatomyyyy

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    evanismynameevanismyname Registered User regular
    i like the first one

• Options
    oscarmanoscarman Registered User regular
    Make it interesting to look at.

signature2.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    okay first of all read this:

http://campcounseling.blogspot.com/2011/08/mid-week-treatise.html

if you can argue that you are doing everything in it, then you are on the right track

secondly, if you can't succeed at that, you must make your art gorgeous to make up for your sub-par writing

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Daddy Two-CoatsDaddy Two-Coats Registered User regular
    Bastard, that's a great article. Sums some comedy stuff up really nicely.

As far as your comic, yes the art definitely has the look of inexperience, so either ride that or work to get better... but my experience is in writing. One thing I notice is that the comic is generally just random jokes that pop into your head put down on paper. That's fine, but they don't come with any kind of voice or context, and the joke stops at the premise. "Rick Santorum is a pile of shit" is the message, and it's conveyed, literally, by talking poop. Think about a way to build to the joke rather than just saying it. If you're annoyed about something (Calling football soccer), don't just tell people they're stupid for doing it. That's not funny. What IS generally funny is wrapping it in a little satire. What other kinds of things would that kind of person do? What are they like? Would it affect other areas of their life?

So I guess the big note is: explore. Have the idea, write it, go back, write another one, see if you like it better, go back, see if you have a better word here or there...repeat. Spending an hour writing a poop joke seems ridiculous, but it helps.