As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DH/RT PbP] Guiding Star (Recruitment/Interest check)

Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Critical Failures
GothicFinalpreview.jpg
The Guiding Star Campaign
Rogue Trader & Dark Heresy

So, this is an idea I've had for a while, but none of my local gaming group wants to play Dark Heresy, so I figured I'd throw it up on here to see if there is enough interest. I'm a highly experienced DM, and am currently running "War in Mal'Dun" here as well.
A little about me
I have some pretty strong DM experience, all of which is on Pen and Paper D&D, ranging from 2nd ed to Pathfinder. I have moderate experience with Dark Heresy, and a ton of experience with the 40k universe.

As for my DM style, I am a reactive DM. The base story will be laid out, and it is up to the players as to which direction it goes. If a player ignores a plot hook, or goes completely off the path I had planned...That's when the game get's fun for me. I want to write a story with my players, not follow a script of triggered events. If I want the group to go left, and they go right, everyone should be ready for a true adventure.

I'm also a long term story teller. I'm not looking to go for a month, or even just 6 months and then wrap up. My last PnP campaign ran for two years before the players managed to actually kill a demi-god, and threaten an entire pantheon (D&D). We ended it because it was just devolving into combat as they tried to kill off the gods and take over their place in the world we had forged.

I, like most people, work 40 hours a week. So I during the day, expect light posting from me, but quite a bit on nights and weekends. I can appreciate the same from you, but would require at minimum of 3 times a week. Be aware, that if you are an infrequent poster, the other party members may be given other story options due to their increased activity.
Campaign Information
This is an...interesting idea for a campaign, but it seems like it would just be a blast.

A ships captain (one of the players will have to be elected as the "Captan) has collected a crew of misfits for himself. Together, a long with the menials that keep his ship running, this rag-tag bunch have earned quite the reputation for themselves in the Calixis sector. Mostly as smugglers, who operate on just this side of the law but manage to avoid detection from the local inquisition forces. Recently, several systems in the sector have started to increase their demands for transport and hauling. As well as a notification from the local Imperial Navy that all battle ready ships are to register in the sector militia. What is causing this step up in sector defense, as well as the increased demand for illicit substances remains a mystery. All the crew knows is that they recently had to skirt a Navy blockade that wasn't ever in place before.

This campaign will start off a little "slow", being mostly driven by mini-adventures at first. As the intricacies of the sector start to develop themselves, you will be launched into a much larger scene. The party will literally build themselves up from small time smugglers, to possibly the heads of a sector spanning criminal organization, or maybe privateers with the Imperial Navy, fighting off the forces of chaos. The over arching story may take a while to reveal itself.
Player/Character Information
I'm looking for 5-6 players.
You start at rank 3: 1000xp total.
You start with 500 crowns to buy your starting equipment. All your starting gear detailed with your class is stripped of you and you have to use that 500 crowns to build your load out. You can only buy up to Uncommon gear.
You can use either the Dark Heresy Core Book, Inquisitor's Handbook or the Rogue Trader book to pick your class and build your character.
At least one player in the group has to be playing a Navigator class.
Once the party is selected, you will all get to elect the player who will be your "Captain", this player will work as the face of the crew. He'll be responsible for picking up your business contracts, accepting endeavors, stuff like that.
After that, you'll all build your ship. Using the Rogue Trader book, the crew will get to argue/discuss building the ship you will fly around and adventure in. There will be some limitations during this process, and it of course can be upgraded throughout the game.

There will be both Ship based and Character based combat. Times when you all have to figure out how to best fly your ship into the enemies guns, and when you have to work as a team on the ground, shooting people.

Character sheets: At first you can submit them in spoilers in this thread, but once the party is selected, I'll be moving them onto a "Google Doc's" repository. We'll be using lots of Google Doc's, both for notes, and a place to nicely see the character sheets. So, if you don't have a gmail account, I'd recommend setting one up, or setting a new one up if for some reason you don't want everyone to find your e-mail out through it.

I'd like you to all roll for your stats as per the Dark Heresy character creation stuff. You should roll on Invisible Castle, I've created a Campaign Page for you to link your rolls to, found here. Any roll that is not linked to that campaign page will not be accepted and you'll be requested to re-roll. Since you're rolling for everything like normal character generation, I'd like you to link to your rolls in your submission.

A long with your character sheet, include a picture of your character (if you can find one), and/or a description of them. As well as some background to give me a feel for your characters ambitions.

I'd like to have a "Game Night" once a week, I'm thinking Saturday or Sunday nights (or a week night if it works for everyone). Where everyone would be online for a few hours and we could bang out some combat or RP stuff quickly. I'd really like to have the group get all on Vassal (a java based online engine for tabletop gaming, it's free no worries there) for combat. Since they have a module specifically for space combat, and it's very easy to create battle fields and such. It's not a necessity, just something I'd like to try.

I'll take submissions until 8/5, hoping to start the game that next day. Might extend the submission time-frame as well. If interest is to low, this might get canned.

Anon the Felon on

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Well I'm all for it. Just warning you, I work 1-11 most days but I can post from work. In fact, seeing as I get bored here, it'd work out well.

I'll have a submission up when I get home tonight

• Options
    Oh, for interested parties, or people that just need a little push to be interested, I'll gladly answer campaign story questions. I'm playing it kind of close to the chest because I want the party to have to investigate and build up the sector. The players interactions will have a direct impact on the story and history. Just to give you an idea: I have a 30 page document that contains all kinds of history, events, past battles, etc that I plan on using as investigation/research happens. You're going to build it.

Any questions you have about the campaign I'll gladly answer.

• Options
    Man, I feel so alone.

So we use the DH rolling of 2d19+20 instead of the +25 of RT, correct? So we are basically keeping everything more balanced for people who want to use the DH book?

Also what about certain weapons that aren't represented by Thrones in the DH book? Like if I wanted a Naval pistol, for example

• Options
    Almost forgot. Do we still get the free acquisition or, keeping with the down on our luck theme, that is gone as well?

• Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    I'm interested in this (especially as I can't seem to keep a Rogue Trader/Dark Heresy game going on these forums), though I do have a question:

Rogue Trader Classes. You mention that we're all starting out at Level 3 and 1000xp, but all Rogue Trader Classes, including Navigators, start out with effectively 4500xp, and are subsequently considerably more powerful than starting Dark Heresy characters. I'm interested in rolling up a Navigator; is there anything I need to know to roll him up?

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    Hmmm, I didn't notice that Susan. But you are totally right. Let's then amend that, and say all classes start at 5000 XP, so it would be normal start for Rogue Trader characters, and rank 5 start for DH. Doesn't really damage the game, but good call.

Moridin:

We'll do the DH rolling no matter what book you're pulling your class from. So, follow character creation from the DH book. Sorry for the cross over problems, I'll admit I just kind of glanced at RT creation just assuming it was the same since the systems are compatible.

Oh, and there will be non-of those acquisitions dealies. I might give you an item based around your background, but no promises. As for items with no cost, let me review it, what page is that pistol on?

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Here's my starting stat rolls for my Navigator character; I'm not sure how to link the rolls to the Roll Depository, though. I'll probably update this post with additional rolls and a character sheet as I develop my little mutant freak :) .

Rolls for HP, Insanity, Corruption, Fate Points, and Mutations. ReRoll for the Doubled Mutation.

Work-In-Progress Character Sheet:
    Navigator

Weapon Skill - 33 = 8 + 25
    Ballistic Skill - 37 = 12 + 25
    Strength - 26 = 11 + 25-10
    Toughness - 34 = 12 + 25 - 3
    Agility - 36 = 11 + 25
    Intelligence - 49 = 16 + 25 + 3 + 5
    Perception - 47 = 17 + 25 + 5
    Willpower - 55 = 17 + 25 + 3 + 5 + 5
    Fellowship - 25 = 5 + 25 – 5

HP: 9
    Thrones: 315
    Insanity: 9
    Corruption: 4
    Fate Points: 3

Background Choices:
    Imperial World – Blessed Ignorance: Their wise blindness imposes a –5 penalty on Forbidden Lore (Int) Tests.
    Savant
    Zealot, Unnerving Clarity
    Dark Voyage
    Prestige

Renegade House
    The Fruits of Corrupted Blood: The Navigator may also choose three Navigator Powers. He gains a +10 bonus to all tests with these powers (in addition to bonuses for being an Adept or Master). In addition, all tests by others to resist these powers suffer a –10 penalty. Powers Selected: Lidless Stare, Tracks in the Stars, Refresh and Revitalize
    Unchecked Mutation: When taking tests for mutation for gaining a new power or increasing an existing one, tests are Challenging (+0) rather than Ordinary (+10).
    Renegades: All tests that involve interacting with the official bodies of the Imperium are at a –10 penalty.

Navigator Mutations:
    Pale and Hairless Flesh: Your skin is pale, marbled with veins and completely without hair.
    Withered Form: Your body is withered, your flesh hanging loosely from your bones. You reduce your Strength Characteristic by 10 permanently and halve your movement rates.

Skills: Awareness (Per), Common Lore (Navis Nobilite) (Int), Forbidden Lore (Navigators, Warp) (Int), Literacy (Int), Logic (Int), Navigation (Stellar, Warp) (Int), Psyniscience (Per), Scholastic Lore (Astromancy) (Int), Speak Language (High Gothic, Low Gothic) (Int)
    Basic Skills: Common Lore (Imperial Creed) (Int), Common Lore (Imperium) (Int), Common Lore (War) (Int)
    Talents: Melee Weapon Training (Primitive), Navigator, Pistol Weapon Training (Universal), Resistance (Fear), Talented (Navigation (Warp))

Navigator Powers:
    The Lidless Stare (FoC +10 (with enemies at -10), Adept +10 = +20(30))
    Novice: The Navigator makes an Opposed Willpower Test with anyone looking into his Warp Eye. Make a single test for the Navigator and compare it to the results of each of his opponents. If the Navigator achieves more degrees of success, the opponent suffers 1d10+ the Navigator’s Willpower bonus in Energy damage. This damage is not reduced by armour or Toughness Bonus. Anyone taking damage from this power is also Stunned for 1 round as they are ripped with agony. Using this power is taxing and inflicts a level of Fatigue on the Navigator. If the Navigator fails this Test by one degree of failure or more, he suffers two levels of Fatigue. Adept (+10): As above, however, the damage is increased to 2d10+ (the Navigator’s WP bonus) and the time the victims are Stunned increases to 1d5 rounds. Victims also suffer 1d5 Insanity Points.
    Tracks in the Stars (FoC +10)
    Novice: Using Perception, the Navigator can track the warp trail of a ship through real space in the same way as if he was using the Tracking skill (see page 88). To track a warp trail, it can be no older than the Navigator’s Perception Bonus in weeks, although the size and power of the vessel involved may mitigate this.

Equipment:
    -Hand Cannon (Pistol, 35m, S/–/–, 1d10+4 I, 2 Pen, 5 Clip, 2Full Reload, 3kg) w/100 Shots
    -Staff (Melee, 1d10 I, Balanced/Primitive, 3kg)
    -Knife (Melee, Thrown 3m, 1d5 R, Primitive, 0.5 kg)
    -Flak Jacket (3 Arms, Body, Legs, 6 kg)

XP Spent: 500
    100 – Intelligence
    100 – Perception
    100 – Willpower
    100 – Awareness
    100 – Melee Weapon Training (Primitive)

susan on
  • Options
    Any update on this?

• Options
    Probably canceled, just not enough interest.

• Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    If this has any chance of running I have a character almost done. Feral world assassin.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    It's a shame that no one wants to get on this. Creating a higher level character for this system was damn fun. Tempting me to run my own game elsewhere.

steam_sig.png