As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pax Prime Costumes 2011!

• SwordMageSwordMage Registered User regular
    Yep, we had the frog last year. This year, we're better prepared with buttons!

SwordMage, aka Willa
    ---
    twitter: SwordMage86
    XBL: SwordMagelet
  • GinRyuGinRyu SeattleRegistered User regular
    Nidalee (League of Legends) costume in progress:

http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?id=249932

• AtashiAtashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    recette_ref1.jpg
    In the end, I went with making Recette's outfit for PAX Prime 2011. Two weeks left to churn it out.
    Progress here for anyone interested (updated daily): http://atashi.wordpress.com/2011/08/10/recette-cosplay-progress/

Atashi on
    PAX Prime 2013 Cosplays
    Silica - Sword Art Online -Infinity Moment-
    Teddie - Persona 4

Finally retiring Recette. It's been a good run.
  • vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    SwordMage wrote:
    Alas, won't be doing anything special this year. Perhaps next...

However, for those who *are* doing costumes, my husband or I will have a stuffed green frog with one of us. Take a photo with him, and you'll get one of his buttons.

I accept your challenge!!!

• Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    Bleh have been REALLY lazy lately. Did get some work done on the Long Fall boots but that's about it, it's all about finishing up the loose ends now.

(P.S. Atashi I saw your skirt post on /CGL/ ;) )

• etherealvisionetherealvision Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I'm going to go as Brolaf! Think they'll let me carry a Nerf Axe covered in beer case cardboard?

The edges are covered in duct tape (Which I think adds to the funny aspect of the costume.) The duct tape dulls the cardboard edges significantly. If not I can just carry the Nerf Axes as they're sold and probably get away with the costume anyway.

I'm not going to Graggy the axes, they're Coors lite and Blue moon axes. I think that makes it more fun for me.

etherealvision on
    Let there be games!
  • ChichenChichen Registered User regular
    I'm going to go as Brolaf! Think they'll let me carry a Nerf Axe covered in beer case cardboard?

The edges are covered in duct tape (Which I think adds to the funny aspect of the costume.) The duct tape dulls the cardboard edges significantly. If not I can just carry the Nerf Axes as they're sold and probably get away with the costume anyway.

I'm not going to Graggy the axes, they're Coors lite and Blue moon axes. I think that makes it more fun for me.

I don't know. But I can't wait to see your costume.

• etherealvisionetherealvision Registered User regular
    Chichen wrote:

I don't know. But I can't wait to see your costume.

I wouldn't get too excited. It's my first time ever cosplaying outside of Halloween (The best of which I ever did was Sweeney Todd).

I have a darker green polo than Brolafs is, I'm unsure what I'm going to decide on for gloves, and I'm not going to wear flip flops to a con.

I will find a place to get a beer hat though, and maybe modify it to look more like a helm (at least painting it if it's not a silver or gray). We'll see. I'm having fun with this so hopefully I'll pull off something recognizable.

I'm not making the beard, but I have a goatee.

In any case I think 'Bromacia!" might be uttered more than once.

Let there be games!
  • SvKSvK Registered User regular
    Will there be a gathering of Portal or Valve cosplayers? I want to be Mashy Spike Plate, but I don't want to wear it all day.

As far as I know no. However I do know of one other Chell that might be going to PAX. Also I think I heard a rumor of those two Aperture Scientist cosplayers returning with their companion cube.

• hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    SvK I just finished putting back together my friends Portal Companion Cube this week and it will be rocking PAX! We don't know if we will get to the updates we wanted on it, we will see.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am wondering if that adorable GLaDoS girl is going to be returning. I hope so since she would be a welcome addition. Now all we really need is a Wheatley cosplayer :) I would love to do a gathering but I have no idea how to get in touch with all the cosplayers who aren't on this forum. No one I know on Facebook is doing Portal cosplay sadly.

@hml51: Companion Cube! I would love to see pictures! I hope I'm able to see it while I'm in Chell. I'll be wearing it Friday and Saturday (the concert is a maybe, I don't know yet and I probably won't have my gun with me) Sunday I haven't decided yet though I might throw it on for the Omegathon. This is the first con I only have one costume for but I have to budget money and time since I move back to Seattle next month.

• hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    My friend worn it last year but we needed to do some modifications to it this year. She will be back with all the fun on Saturday. We are doing a doctor who thing Friday and then more individual costumes for the rest of the weekend. I pasted out 2010 folder for PAX (http://s774.photobucket.com/albums/yy21/SchoolGirlGoodness/PAX Prime 2010/). Hope to see you, oh you can see our progress for this years costumes under the 2011 Preparation album.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • michaliusmichalius Registered User new member
    GinRyu wrote:
    Nidalee (League of Legends) costume in progress:

http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?id=249932

If you're looking for a hotel room to stay at any of the nights....

Awesome costume :P

• G4MERG4MER Registered User regular
    HA, look at Studly Do Right above.. LOL. ^^ Michalius I admire your gumption, but I am sure that lovely young lady will have no problems finding a place to rest her head.

That Nidalee costume is looking very nice, I must agree. I know many a nerd and geek will be drooling all over themselves, and I am sure you'll be one captured in many a photo. If THAT GUY is lucky enough maybe we can get a picture together.. trust me you'll know THAT GUY when you see him. ;)

g4mer_paxsig.png
  • michaliusmichalius Registered User new member
    edited August 2011
    Sorry for the compliment. It's my favorite LoL char, thought I would say something. White Knights assemble!

michalius on
  • SvKSvK Registered User regular
    White Knight?
    975px-Kayle_SilverSkin_Ch.jpg

• recycledairrecycledair Registered User regular
    This is slightly off-topic, but it's too cool not to post about.. A forumite at the forums I frequent created this, and posted an entire thread as she created it and uh, it's now blown up all over the internet because of how amazing it came out. She's going to Dragon-con as Chell and bringing Wheatley along, though I can only imagine the love she would get if she wore this and brought him to PAX..

I present, Wheatley in puppet form:

Photos and her explanation of the whole process can be seen here:

http://furincosplay.blogspot.com/2011/07/wheatley.html

Okay that is too F'in Cool!

g4mer_paxsig.png
    Oh yeah I saw that and got extremely excited. He's my favorite character. It made me get straight to work on my boots in motivation. I'll post pictures later tonight when I get the straps on.

• recycledairrecycledair Registered User regular
    It's just crazy because I remember she started this project back in April and started a thread about it and I thought, "Okay cool idea, she's done some awesome stuff before but this? This is going to be insane." and figured it'd be cute and but nothing crazy. Then she posted the photos and the video and I was just so impressed. Not only with how he came out, but also the amount of time she spent studying his mannerisms so she could get down his movements, right down to his eyelids, as he speaks! She deserves the great attention, just wish I could see it in person! Haha. :)

Id like to take that idea and make a Computer Case for next years BYOC ( PAX ) May win me something. ;) She did an excellent job. Kudos to her.

g4mer_paxsig.png
    edited August 2011
  • GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    I sewed the vines onto my unitard! I'm going to glue on some extra leaves to fill in the blank spots and also glue down some of the leaves that stick up so I'm not poking everyone :P
    legs.jpg

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
    edited August 2011
    ^^^ Very nice.

Here's some progress I got on the boots. I would say they are about 70% done. Just got to get those straps fitted correctly and get the paint job neater.
    IMG_01721.jpg

Curse-Ten on
    Curse-Ten wrote:
    ^^^ Very nice.

Here's some progress I got on the boots. I would say they are about 70% done. Just got to get those straps fitted correctly and get the paint job neater.
    IMG_01721.jpg

Thanks! I can't wait to see Chell all put together. Those boots are win so far.

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    im not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me, but how did she manage wheatley's eyelids?

even in the designer's commentary on Portal 2 they mentioned that his eye lids are an impossible shape for the space that houses them.
    did she make them out of a flex material?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    GamingGoddess that is looking very cool.

g4mer_paxsig.png
    G4MER wrote:

Thank you! I'm trying to be more persistant with updating my pictures :P put in about 4 hours worth of sewing little vines together today instead of doing house work..... *turns around to see unfolded laundry on couch* yep, totally worth not having clean clothes for a few more days :P

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    G4MER wrote:

Thank you! I'm trying to be more persistant with updating my pictures :P put in about 4 hours worth of sewing little vines together today instead of doing house work..... *turns around to see unfolded laundry on couch* yep, totally worth not having clean clothes for a few more days :P
    Haha, yeah. Whenever I'm in production mode the rest of the world basically just drops away.

wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote:
    G4MER wrote:

Haha, yeah. Whenever I'm in production mode the rest of the world basically just drops away.

Exactly! Haha gatta have our priorities set straight, right?

• DTJAAAAMDTJAAAAM Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Going through the whole thread, I can't wait to see and get pictures of all these outfits you're all making! I really should stop being lazy and do some sort of game-related costume...

TOGSolid wrote:
    G4MER wrote:

Exactly! Haha gatta have our priorities set straight, right?
    2011-08-12-10-36-13-668.jpg
    Yep!

I'm home from work now, time to get back to work! I just got the chin guard sawed out, I'm in the process of sanding the helmet and prepping it for spray painting.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    I'm proud to announce the return of Carl this year! Yeaheaheahh, TONIGHT! (Well, two weeks from now, but you get the idea.)
    I have actual green flip flops this time and I've given the mustache an extra week, but I'm on the fence about Bic-ing the dome. Leaving it just buzzed gets the point across, plus it shows the cut is intentional.

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
    What is the helmet for? and I think I am about to post images of my costume for everyone.. even though I kinda want it to be a surprise at PAX. not that its all that or anything, just that compared to many others here, its rather underwhelming.

g4mer_paxsig.png
    edited August 2011
    G4MER wrote:
    What is the helmet for? and I think I am about to post images of my costume for everyone.. even though I kinda want it to be a surprise at PAX. not that its all that or anything, just that compared to many others here, its rather underwhelming.

I'm making a Protomen inspired Megaman costume.

EDIT: Speaking of which...
    2011-08-12-14-32-36-854.jpg
    I sanded all the gloss off and got the foam ridge installed. Now I'm just doing some finishing on the ridge and will then use a sealer on it so that it looks like a rigid piece. Then off to the spray paint stage!

I am incredibly tempted to paint the old vent section solid black. It looks just way too cool and the contrast will be pretty awesome.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited August 2011
    So I am guessing something like this?
    Panther.jpg

Well More like this I think:
    484563.jpg

If you end up something like this.. I think you'll be rather badass looking..
    tumblr_lcmzjp8TFI1qeomrno1_500.jpg

G4MER on
    g4mer_paxsig.png
    edited August 2011
    I'm modeling mine after the band's stage helmet for a few reasons:
    A) I'm still very much a newbie to this whole business and the stage helmet is easier.
    B) Stage helmet is more iconic
    C) Ever walk around a convention or concert with your mouth covered? It gets uncomfortable in a hurry.

I'm not going for a perfect duplication of theirs, but I'm using the basic idea (motorcycle helmet + ridge + lotsa sawing chunks off and repainting). Right now I'm sealing the foam ridge. I was hoping to get spray painting started today, but I suspect that won't be happening.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Ghost DadGhost Dad Registered User new member
    Assuming the last minute pieces arrive on time, I'm planning on going on Friday as Marceline. I'm still not sure if Adventure Time is too much of a stretch for a gaming convention, but nuts to that!

Ghost Dad wrote:
    Assuming the last minute pieces arrive on time, I'm planning on going on Friday as Marceline. I'm still not sure if Adventure Time is too much of a stretch for a gaming convention, but nuts to that!

Please do it!! I got a picture with a Finn last year!