As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX International Food Exchange - PAX Prime 2011

DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat!I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in PAX Archive
Wow, so PAX is only a couple weeks away. I'm sorry I'm late to the party with this, but better late then never. Anyhow, many of us come to PAX to share our love of games and gaming. That is the universal glue that adheres us to each another. However many of us share other interests and one of those is the love of food; especially prepared foods from far away foreign lands (like Canada and the UK) that travel well on airplanes. So this thread is dedicated to that interest.

coffeecrisp.jpg
A prime example of a Canadian delicacy. Click here for some more.

This the second PAX I've created this thread, and the first for Prime. As such, I've aped most of the info from the inaugural East 2011 thread. Many great meet-ups were arranged through that thread, and many delicious noms were had. We even had strange Chinese candy from a far away land....China.

jaffa-cakes.jpg
And some other strange delicacies from another island nation with a strange accent.

So I'm back again for Prime 2011, creating a thread to encourage the exchange and delicious foods from all over. This is meant as an open forum to post what delicious noms you are bringing to PAX to share with your unfortunate American cousins, and for our awesome American hosts to make requests. You can make exchanges, offer cash, or in the spirit of the PAX community simply share for the sake of sharing. It's your call.

Note: Please be aware of the laws for importing and exporting foods, both in your country of origin and destination. Links to the three main governing bodies we will be dealing with can be found here. Any others? Suggest them in thread and I'll add them.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
HM Revenue & Customs
Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

With PAX Prime 2011 only weeks away, and everyone buying their supplies, this may be a great opportunity to grab something special and interesting that you'd like to share. I think we can also take suggestions as to interesting things to take home, and probe around if a certain delicious nom is or isn't available in great USandA.

borat-high-five.jpg

Protip: Do not try to import Kinder Surprise into the US. They will be confiscated by CBP and the parts within are deemed a choking hazard under US law.

camo_sig2.png
I never finish anyth
Decius on

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I'll have a couple of these with me, though I think they're already spoken for. Hopefully I don't loose my arm in the exchange.

Picture%201.jpg

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    Team China checking in and taking requests!

Oh, have I got candy for you....

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    I don’t know if what China has can be legitimately called candy,

E6LkoFK.png

• soonerjuddsoonerjudd Registered User regular
    Anyone out there able to bring some good German chocolate or cheeses?

• SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    Hrm, well Vancouver is not that far away from Seattle so the food is not much different but if anyone has any requests from Canada...
    Anyone coming from Britain? Some rock candy or other delicious british treats would be cool!

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    If someone could bring me a jar of the crunchy speculoos spread I would be so very happy! I brought some home from France but my offspring found the stash....and liked it! I can get the smooth from Amazon, so just the crunchy please.

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    I don’t know if what China has can be legitimately called candy,

You cut me sir, you cut me deep.

Just because it has tuna fish in it does not make it less of a delightful candy treat.

And there are some really good candies...occasionally...

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    Greetings all from the land of burning and looted shops by bored teenagers. For yes I am indeed from the UK and I have long been a proponent of offering foodstuffs from here.

Here's a list of candies that I can bring along for those that request it:

Minstrels
    Jaffa Cakes (technically not cakes)
    Maltesers
    Double Deckers
    Boost Bars
    Bounty bars (milk and black chocolate)
    Whisper bar
    Custard Creme biscuits
    Jammy Dodgers biscuits
    Thornton's Chocolates

This list is not exhaustive, but it does give you some ideas of what is available. Provided of course the shop I buy this stuff from hasn't been looted and raised to the ground.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    australia doesnt have much in the way of chocies, and i dont think i could get away with bringing in kangaroo meat, so i guess i could bring some timtams, and some vegemite for those with exquisite taste

edit: after doing some quick research into aussie biscuits heres a list of ones i can bring:
    -timtams
    -choc teddy bears
    -anzac biscuits
    -royals
    -wagon wheels
    -cherry ripe

tokyodove on
  • zezspecszezspecs ScotlandRegistered User regular
    I am only a visitor to the UK, so I'm not up on where to find everything, but I can certainly grab some chocolate or Jaffa cakes for someone who asks before Aug 15th. I'm going to Edinburgh for a couple days to take care of some school stuff, and I'll have plenty of bag space to bring back goodies.

• oO Wallace OooO Wallace Oo Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    @kropotkin - Great opening sentence lol After almost a year in the US I've begun to miss so many UK foodstuffs (I had Hula Hoops in a bar one night and was almost in tears). My wish list would be far too long and I'm going to be back in the UK after PAX, but if you could accquire either a Honeycomb Yorkie or a Wispa Gold (If they haven't discontinued again) I will shower you with all the praise and dollar bills you desire.

oO Wallace Oo on
  • Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    @tokyodove - Do they still have Violet Crumble there? Oh man, I miss that one so much!

"Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
    Mystral721 wrote:
    @tokyodove - Do they still have Violet Crumble there? Oh man, I miss that one so much!

absolutely man ill bring you a few bars if you want?

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    I know you're not allowed to bring these, but if the Aussies or Limeys could somehow smuggle vacuum sealed meat pies into the country in a way that they're fresh and tasty when they arrive, I will love you forever and reward you handsomely. I'm rather fond of the steak and kidney ones.

...No? Then I'll take the chocolate from Canada (I believe Britain has them too) with the air bubbles inside them. I believe they're called Aeros.

vgc wrote:
    I know you're not allowed to bring these, but if the Aussies or Limeys could somehow smuggle vacuum sealed meat pies into the country in a way that they're fresh and tasty when they arrive, I will love you forever and reward you handsomely. I'm rather fond of the steak and kidney ones.

i had a quick read through the CBP website:
    Meat, milk, egg, poultry, and their products, including products made with these materials, such as dried soup mix or bouillon, are either prohibited or restricted from entering the United States

sorry man :( which is a real damn shame because there's a bakery near where i live that makes a wicked nice meat pie

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Aussies:

If somebody would care to bring me a few pkgs of these.. I would be very grateful! I haz monies!! also.. Blueberry-Pom is my main priority.. as I've never had that one before :)

http://www.dlea.com.au/blueberry-pomegranate-liquorice.html
    http://www.dlea.com.au/green-apple-liquorice.html
    http://www.dlea.com.au/mango-liquorice.html
    http://www.dlea.com.au/blackcurrant-liquorice.html

Edit: and by monies, I mean I can paypal you in advance

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    store finder says there is one close to where i live, ill grab those for you :D

Thanks, wanna PM me your email address & how much I should send?

nah dont worry about it ill just trade you it for some american sweets

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    tokyodove wrote:
    vgc wrote:

i had a quick read through the CBP website:
    Meat, milk, egg, poultry, and their products, including products made with these materials, such as dried soup mix or bouillon, are either prohibited or restricted from entering the United States

sorry man :( which is a real damn shame because there's a bakery near where i live that makes a wicked nice meat pie

This is of course the fun of CBP. 999/1000 they'll just confiscate it (as opposed to actually punishing you), so I suppose if your willing to chance losing it....(I don't promote lawbreaking!)
    That being said, Meatpies are most likely out, but not neccisarily. That rule is remarkably vague , considering Chocolate is often made with milk, but you can bring that in until the cows come home. I know during some of the various cow disease scares in Britian meet was "restricted" but not entirely banned from importing, you could see about that. Whence I was coming back from Spain, I bought my importables at a larger store that had them pre-packed and approved for entry into the US (and I brought back Cheese, sans problem).

tokyodove wrote:
    nah dont worry about it ill just trade you it for some american sweets

how about canadian ones instead?

even better :D

• TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    tokyodove wrote:
    Mystral721 wrote:

absolutely man ill bring you a few bars if you want?

OMG. I loved Violet Crumble. I don't think I've seen that in two decades--I lived in Australia for a year and a half when I was 8-9.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
    For those Americans who cannot live without the Canadian, Brit and Australian COMMON candy, Cost Plus World Market carries a small imported food section and usually has coffee crisps, violet crumbles, the aero bars plus some random US throwback candies that are getting harder to find.

Not to discourage the international candy trade and the illicit marshmallow rings, but just in case you are /really/ in need and between PAXes.

They don't have mint Aero though.

I still hold the key!

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    For those Americans who cannot live without the Canadian, Brit and Australian COMMON candy, Cost Plus World Market carries a small imported food section and usually has coffee crisps, violet crumbles, the aero bars plus some random US throwback candies that are getting harder to find.

Not to discourage the international candy trade and the illicit marshmallow rings, but just in case you are /really/ in need and between PAXes.

Thanks for the tip. I'm actually not sure if we have that around here, but now that I think about it, they probably carry some of this stuff at Central Market, which is (I think) our equivalent.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular

For those in the Seattle area the British Pantry in Redmond has a lot of candies and things too. It's where I stock up on Maltesers and Mars bars.

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    Cost plus prices are really terrible though. Avoid if you can.

Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • FenrisknightFenrisknight Token Canadian CanadianRegistered User regular
    Decius wrote:
    They don't have mint Aero though.

I still hold the key!

I will bring some mint Aero, no problem :D

Damn this thread kinda died.

Ok I really have to go pack, but I just want to share my final count with you guys.

nu7tw.jpg

- 1 pkg Oreo cookies (special request)
    - 4 pkg Smarties
    - 10 KitKat bars
    - 16 Coffee Crisp bars
    - 12 Aero Mint
    - 6 Aero
    - 4 Aero dark

That's 53 chocolate bars coming with me to Seattle. I want to leave with exactly 0 chocolate bars. You have your challenge laid out for you.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    you will have zero issues having your mint aeros taken off your hands

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:

Nor your regular areos!

vgc wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:

Nor your regular areos!

those smarties arent safe either :P

Are those Oreos somehow different from the ones we have in the States? It's my favorite cookie.

Supposedly Canadian Oreos taste different, and potentially better. I don't know, I haven't had the opportunity to compare.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Hmmm... any chance you can bring another pack (if it's not too late already) and we can do a comparison test? I'll bring the American ones!

sadly it is too late, but I'll gladly try an American Oreo.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Cool, hit me up at the show and I'll share my stash.

• zezspecszezspecs ScotlandRegistered User regular
    I ended up being limited to what I could grab at the airport in Edinburgh, but if anyone is interested, I'll have this stuff with me:
    UKCandy.jpg

5 mint Aero bars
    2 bags of 36 mixed mini pieces of Smarties, Kit Kats, Rolos, Lions, and Regular Aeros.

• magemage Registered User regular
    OMG. Unf.

I miss Aero bars so much. They came out with a Hershey version in the states but it's SO not the same.